Normal Topic Iceman is gay (Read 1048 times)
Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Iceman is gay
Apr 22nd, 2015 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
So I was reading Mark Evanier's blog and apparently Iceman is gay now. I haven't read any Champions, New Defenders, or X-Men comics since the '80s so maybe this isn't news. Anybody hear of this before? Just curious, really, as I don't care either way about Iceman and whether he likes men or what. Just never heard of this before today and was wondering if this was hinted at in the past or just a sales gimmick or what.

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Re: Iceman is gay
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2015 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
The whole story is that the original X-men travelled forward in time as teenagers, and are now running around with the current X-men, including their older selves.

Young Jean confronts Young Bobby about his gay thoughts, and they hash out that yeah, he's gay even though his older self isn't, because maybe his older self couldn't handle being gay AND a mutant during the 'time they come from'.  But now, no one cares if you're gay apparently. 

Bobby's constant string of 'bad luck' with women is used as evidence. 

I'm on the fence.  I applaud that they're trying to 'diversify' the comics, but this just strikes me as an odd way to do it. 

Plus, it should have been Cyclops.

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 10:22am
Print Post  
I was gonna say Cyclops! He chooses unavailable women as a cover as he is still in the closet. Plus it would be cooler if a central/leader character were gay rather than just a peripheral second-string one. Well, at least Iceman was 2nd or 3rd string when I was reading comics. Maybe he has his own series selling like hotcakes now for all I care.

Or Colossus, but then you have the gay artist stereotype.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2015 at 10:23am by Matt »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Here are my thoughts on Iceman's sexual preferences.

...meh...

Were I gay, I figure it would matter more to me, but it turns out it doesn't. As long as he remains an well-written character it's all good.

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
"Remains"? Wouldn't they have to start writing comics well first? Hee hee

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 23rd, 2015 at 10:22am:
I was gonna say Cyclops! He chooses unavailable women as a cover as he is still in the closet. Plus it would be cooler if a central/leader character were gay rather than just a peripheral second-string one. Well, at least Iceman was 2nd or 3rd string when I was reading comics. Maybe he has his own series selling like hotcakes now for all I care.

Or Colossus, but then you have the gay artist stereotype.

Ultimate Colossus is gay.  It was done very well.  He was still macho, tough, melee capable.  He would go rough and tumble with Wolverine on a lot of missions, and eventually had a crush on Logan. It was kinda sweet.  Totally unreciprocated, and the one time Peter started to bring it up, Logan politely explained that not everything needs to be said, especially when it leads to heartbreak.  It was like a gentle let down.

I'm curious what they'll do with Bobby now, I mean older Bobby.  How would you react if your younger self appeared and came out of the closet?

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Phrennzy wrote on Apr 23rd, 2015 at 6:53pm:
I'm curious what they'll do with Bobby now, I mean older Bobby.  How would you react if your younger self appeared and came out of the closet?

FWIW. Bobby once pretended to be Hank's gay boyfriend.

http://defendersfan.blogspot.com/2008/06/bobby-and-beast.html

IP Logged

>