Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Damage Bonus on a Carrier Attack too? (Read 9248 times)
Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Damage Bonus on a Carrier Attack too?
May 9th, 2015 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Simple question: Do you get your damage bonus when you perform a carrier attack?

Emerald Dart throws a punch, with his fist covered in his cytotoxic sap (yes, this is a real player's character). 

His CC gives him 2d8 HtH.  His sap is treated as a Chemical attack doing 2d8.  His damage bonus is +2. 

If he hits with both, does he do 2d8+2+2d8 or 2d8+2+2d8+2?

His punch does 2d8+2. 
If he uses chemical power ranged, it's 2d8+2. 
So it makes sense that the damage bonus counts for both, since it counts individually. 

The problem arises when you have a high damage mod guy, with Ht. Attack or Mega Int.  I don't think 2d8+12+2d8+12 is quite fair...

I'd like to hear opinions.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Re: Damage Bonus on a Carrier Attack too?
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2015 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
The GM's can respond here but my personal take is that a carrier attack is already treated as additional damage on top of the primary attack.  It cannot have a chance to do it's damage without the primary attack hitting.  So no I don't think you would get the additional damage mod.  You would get one damage mod for both the primary attack with carrier damage.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2015 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
I agree with Paul, mostly.  I would give the damage mod for the payload attack only and not the carrier.

The main reason for the carrier is to deliver the payload.  It does not have to be a smashing blow, just a hit. If the carrier misses, the payload is gone, therefore it is more important to land the carrier first. That being the case, I would be more worried about scoring a hit with precision than doing a lot of damage.

You are spot on: The damage adds up too quickly and can score an incapacitating blow with one shot. Not horrible for bad guys against heroes, if it fits your plot, but it makes the fight too easy for the heroes otherwise.

« Last Edit: May 14th, 2015 at 6:21am by »  

IP Logged

Dr.Demented
Teen Titan

who knows what evil lurks
in heart of man

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2015 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I agree with Paul and Klystron that you only apply bonus Damage with The Carrier and not the Payload Grin

YIM  
IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2015 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Dr.Demented wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 11:14pm:
I agree with Paul and Klystron that you only apply bonus Damage with The Carrier and not the Payload Grin

Doctor D,

You have my position reversed.  I would give the damage mod for the payload and not the carrier for the reasons listed.

My agreement with Paul is only one attack gets a bonus and not both.  The difference is he favors the carrier where I favor the payload.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2015 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Actually I am saying the primary attack (payload) gets the damage mod and the carrier damage does not get it's own damage mod.

So we are saying the same thing, but you said it better!

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 14th, 2015 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Hmmm, I see now what you mean. 

I guess I misunderstood you incorrectly.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - May 14th, 2015 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
I agree with all of you (you only do the damage once), but was surprised to look and not find that in the rules, as I was pretty sure it was spelled out there.

Paul wrote on May 14th, 2015 at 11:10am:
Actually I am saying the primary attack (payload) gets the damage mod and the carrier damage does not get it's own damage mod.

So we are saying the same thing, but you said it better!

The primary attack is called the "carrier" (it's the one that "carries" the other attack) and the secondary attack is called the "payload".  Just like a plane (that carries bombs from point A to point B) delivers its payload (the thing carried).

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #8 - May 14th, 2015 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Ah my bad on that.

IP Logged

Dr.Demented
Teen Titan

who knows what evil lurks
in heart of man

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2015 at 4:50am
Print Post  
Sorry Klystron if i miss Qouted you Undecided

YIM  
IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 15th, 2015 at 7:30am
Print Post  
No need to apologize, Dr. As it turns out, Paul and I were saying the same thing and I wanted to make my thought clear.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2015 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Its all one attack and made with one die, so its only modified once.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 7:29am
Print Post  
I have to agree with pretty everyone, the damage bonus is only going to be applied to the primary attack, not the carrier attack, as that's already doing extra damage.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Brace yourselves...

I disagree (but not strongly), and gotta take Phrennzy's option of  ((2d8+2)+(2d8+2)) on this one.

Carrier Attacks:
In a carrier attack, two rolls to hit are also required. However in this instance roll first for the carrier attack: if it hits it takes full effect and allows the payload attack to be resolved. If the first roll misses, the payload attack is ignored.

Example:
Taserman's fists inflict a paralysis effect when they hit. The fist/ HTH attack is resolved first (the carrier) and if a hit is scored then he may perform his Paralysis attack.

They are actually two different attacks, and are resolved individually with individual die rolls, otherwise Taserman would not need to "perform his Paralysis attack", the target would have been automatically paralyzed when the punch landed.

Gotta love a fresh set of eyes on the old book.

Edited:
An additional thought

Almost every carrier attack I have seen has been based on HtH (I can't think of one that is not an HtH/Melee/ranged weapon/muscle powered ranged weapon attack). The base to hit roll for HtH attacks is that oddly low 5 (25% chance). Maybe (and I'm just thinking in text here) carrier attacks and Death Touch are why HtH attacks are given such a low base to-hit value...
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2015 at 1:58pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #14 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
You know, Ironnerd, your post got me to read through the 2.1 rules again, and I still can't find that part that says to apply the Damage Modifier only once.

One curious thing I did observe (by reading through the combat example between Crime Teacher and Gunslinger), was that one combatant leaping onto the back of another was done just as a regular HTH attack.  We've long required such an attack to require two rolls to hit (just like targeting a part of the body), but now I'm wondering - especially with the base for HTH being so low - if perhaps it should just require one?

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #15 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Here's the rule for Damage Modifier:
"3) Damage Modifier
Two modifiers are obtained, one from Intelligence and one from Agility. These are cumulative. The final result is the bonus or minus to any damage result inflicted by the character on an opponent. Record it."

That's it. 
It does note "any damage"...

Does the Accuracy Modifier apply to both the Carrier AND Payload attack?  If so, shouldn't the Damage Modifier?

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #16 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
@Majestic: I do not have V&V 2.1, only Revised edition (I normally call it VV2). That may be a change from 2.0. In VV2, Since I write only for FGU, I like to keep things simple and I figure 2.1 would only confuse me. In VV2, I would think that jumping on another character's back would be like a grappling attack and require two to-hit rolls.

@Phrennzy:  Grin Niiiice!  Wink

Edited:
I PM'd Phrennzy my answer. I kinda wanna see what everyone else thinks first. I find this thread fascinating.
It could be a POLL... hmmm...
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2015 at 8:55pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #17 - Jun 26th, 2015 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
@Ironnerd: The changes between 2.0 and 2.1 are mostly cosmetic (like the all new art).  Rules-wise they're pretty similar, usually word-for-word.

@Phrennzy: I can't recall where I read it, but I know the Damage Mod. thing has been addressed before.  It doesn't seem to be in the core rules, but I know it got answered that you only apply the Damage Modifier once.

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #18 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jun 26th, 2015 at 3:38pm:
@Phrennzy: I can't recall where I read it, but I know the Damage Mod. thing has been addressed before.  It doesn't seem to be in the core rules, but I know it got answered that you only apply the Damage Modifier once.

I'm sure you realize that does not sound convincing at all lol.   Wink

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I realize that's not very convincing.  Embarrassed

So I just read through Vigil (the single issue of the V&V fanzine), reading over Jeff Dee's "errata" and didn't find anything there.  Pulled out a 2.0 rulebook and scanned through the examples of play.  Nothing there, either.

Then I remembered that there's something with auto fire.  It's not that convincing, I realize, but it does say (when you hit somebody with, say, three bullets with an auto-fire weapon) "The attacker's damage modifier is applied only to the very first bullet."

I suppose it's extrapolating the same logic, that a big bonus (from damage modifier or Heightened Attack) should only be applied once with a single attack, rather than multiple times.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #20 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 9:15am
Print Post  
I personally would only give one damage bonus but if it is in question why not just send a message to Jeff Dee or Jack Herman and ask what their thoughts were if it was not specific enough?

Maybe they will respond on their site

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #21 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
In the case of Automatic weapons, the First "bullet" receives the normal accuracy modifier. From the second bullet on, that modifier is dropped and replaced with a new modifier as well as reduced damage. Were that to apply to Carrier Attacks, the hit mod would be dropped and replaced with a +1, and the damage would be reduced by 1. Applying automatic weapon rules to the payload attack would also open up the specter of multiple payload attacks, just as auto weapons have multiple bullets. One other difference between automatic fire and Carrier attacks is that if a character shoots 10 bullets, and the first nine miss, he can still hit with the 10th. If a carrier attack misses, then the payload also misses (or never occurs), which is an important distinction.
That's all just my 2¢ though.

Edited:
This is not me telling anyone how it is - this is me posting my thoughts. Unfortunately we're not all around the same table munching chips and drinking soda while we discuss it, so it seems a bit more "agruie" than it actually is.

In actual practice, I normally just apply the Accuracy and Damage Mods to both attacks.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2015 at 9:18pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #22 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
I think you might have missed my correlation between auto fire and Carrier Attacks, Ironnerd.

The point was that you only apply a character's damage modifier once, even though (technically) it's a number of attacks (I think about the highest in any of the published adventures is 4 per action).

So it serves as a decent guide to intent.  That even if a character had three Heightened Attacks (as one PC in my campaign has), that character wouldn't apply them to each bullet in the auto-fire example.

Thus one could extrapolate that it is perhaps unfair to add any kind of damage bonus (big or little) more than once for a carrier/payload attack.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #23 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
@Majestic let's do this. Let's take our part of the discussion off the forum.

I'm not in disagreement with your idea. But I did just re-read the rule and hit an "Awh Crap" moment.

Feel free to IM/E-mail/Call me on this.

-John
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2015 at 8:10pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #24 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
No problem at all, sir.  And by no means am I saying that I am "doing it right", either.  As many of you know, my game is quite heavily house-rules, though most of it is ways of clarifying (and expanding upon) the RAW.

Multiple attacks have long been problematic; I'm glad they put the bit in there about the GM being free to limit them "to keep things under control".  Early on I/we found this to be a problem, and it's something I've been really strict on since.

Just as a fun aside, allow me to share one humorous anecdote relating to multiple attacks:

My buddy played in a PBEM (or PBP, something electronic, not face-to-face) and had a really cool, super-strong martial artist called the Dragon.  His GM allowed up to four attacks per phase (IIRC) on the same target.

So we tested things out, playing Dragon vs. Wolverine (as my best friend in high school had statted him out).  Dragon, who was very fast, moved up to Wolverine and hit him.  Then did so again and again and again.  Then when it was his turn to move again, he did the same, doing four more attacks.  Before Wolverine had even had the opportunity to move or act (or use his Regeneration), his Power was at 0 and his Hit Points were so far in the negative that he would have been atomized (i.e., loss of Basic Hits).  Shocked

My friend then understood why - in the FTF group we were both in - I was so against multiple attacks on the same target in the same phase.  Smiley

I know we've discussed auto-fire at length before, and TBH it's pretty confusing as written.  I know when Justice first visited here we found we were both doing it completely differently.

In any event, however one decides to do Carrier Attacks is good by me.  I think a GM who keeps a reasonable cap on Damage Modifiers (and Heightened Attack damage) it probably isn't game-breaking to allow on both attacks.

I'm still 95% sure I've seen (at least a somewhat) "official" answer on this, though.  Could have been anywhere over the years (one of the many email lists, message boards, forums, etc.).

Since it wasn't clear before (from either the RAW or my own Supplemental Rules), I definitely decided to spell out how we do it in my latest version (Version 5), so I'm glad this issue came up!  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2015 at 8:19pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #25 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 7:54pm:
@Majestic let's do this. Let's take our part of the discussion off the forum.

I'm not in disagreement with your idea. But I did just re-read the rule and hit an "Awh Crap" moment.

Feel free to IM/E-mail/Call me on this.

-John

I'd be glad to if you really want to (take it to PMs), but I don't think either of us is much disagreeing (like you'd said earlier, just munching chips and soda around the virtual table while discussing how characters in tights best beat the crap out of each other).  Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2015 at 8:24pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #26 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
I agree. Unfortunately we lose a lot in text-only mode, and I want to avoid unintended insanity.

« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2015 at 9:05pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #27 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Hmm, I see Damage Mod applying one time on the Carrier and not the Payload:

The Damage Mod is by definition and formula a derivative of Intelligence and Agility. I see these as expertise and precision in factored contributions related to the natural attributes of the attacker. In the case of a carrier attack, both these personal elements are intended to land the carrier in the place where the payload will do the best damage. The carrier is the guidance, therefore, it gets the benefit of the combat expertise involved and the precision of bodily movement to 'hone in'. The payload just does what it's intended - straight damage or effect. It's just extra ammo and doesn't inherit the actual characteristics of the combatant.

[/shrug]

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #28 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 10:17am
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 11:25pm:
Hmm, I see Damage Mod applying one time on the Carrier and not the Payload:

The Damage Mod is by definition and formula a derivative of Intelligence and Agility. I see these as expertise and precision in factored contributions related to the natural attributes of the attacker. In the case of a carrier attack, both these personal elements are intended to land the carrier in the place where the payload will do the best damage. The carrier is the guidance, therefore, it gets the benefit of the combat expertise involved and the precision of bodily movement to 'hone in'. The payload just does what it's intended - straight damage or effect. It's just extra ammo and doesn't inherit the actual characteristics of the combatant.

[/shrug]

So you do not allow the accuracy modifier on the payload attack?

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #29 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
The accuracy would be on the carrier attack only.  If that attack hits, the payload hits automatically. Whether or not is does damage is another story.

The payload gets no damage mod and no accuracy mod (due to it not being necessary-and any specific mods for the type of payload would not count towards the carrier attack).

That is my simple take on it, but again I am not a GM.  I think AK summed it up best.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #30 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Hey Paul (et al...),
The rule states that a Carrier attack requires two rolls to attack, one for the Carrier, one for the payload.

Carrier Attacks:
In a carrier attack, two rolls to hit are also required. However in this instance roll first for the carrier attack: if it hits it takes full effect and allows the payload attack to be resolved. If the first roll misses, the payload attack is ignored.

As for accuracy and damage mods... not quite so clear... the carrier attack rule does not mention either, and the rules are not super specific for Accuracy or Damage Modifier...

3) Damage Modifier
Two modifiers are obtained, one from intelligence and one from Agility. These are cumulative. The final result is the bonus or minus to any damage result inflicted by the character on an opponent. Record it.

4) Accuracy
A modifier on the character's chances of hitting any target. Record it on the Character Record Sheet.

Damage modifier applies to "any damage result inflicted by the character on an opponent", since both the carrier and payload do damage, an argument could be made that the damage mod applies to both. Of course one could also argue that if a character attacks a friend, the damage mod does not apply since he is not an "opponent" (same is true for walls and cars and stuff...).

Since the Accuracy modifier effects the characters odds of hitting the target, it could be argued that the acc mod does not apply to the payload, and only the carrier - since it actually HITs the target and the payload can be thought of as being "delivered".

Again, I apply both acc and dmg mod to carrier and payload - but that's just at my table, and it does not seem to cause any problems (and may change due to this conversation on what I thought was a really simple rule). But if I sit at another GM's table and he interprets the rule differently, I play his way.

As long as the players have a good time, you're doing it right.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2015 at 7:06pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #31 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
I thought it was roll twice to hit but based on the carrier attack.  But again, I am not a GM and am relatively clueless.

But I am adorable.

Cool

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #32 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Phrennzy wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 10:17am:

So, were we talking accuracy and to hit or damage mod?
I personally think a second roll to hit is retarded for the payload, the delivery being the carrier, however, I can also subscribe there may be instances to apply that, thus I run a second hit roll as a GM's discretion usually and it's situational, but that house rule.

Damage mod is all about the carrier.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2015 at 9:00pm by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #33 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 8:59pm:
Phrennzy wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 10:17am:

So, were we talking accuracy and to hit or damage mod?
I personally think a second roll to hit is retarded for the payload, the delivery being the carrier, however, I can also subscribe there may be instances to apply that, thus I run a second hit roll as a GM's discretion usually and it's situational, but that house rule.

Damage mod is all about the carrier.

"retarded"? ...really?... well I'll not attempt to prevent you from expressing your opinion.

Getting back on topic, we seem to be talking about the applicability of the Accuracy and Damage Modifiers to both Carriers and Payloads in a carrier attack (more like topic growth than topic drift, I guess). It does seem to me as though a character should have to do something (other than pay the PR cost) in order to get that bonus damage from the carrier attack. 

The payload does have to be activated somehow; the character has to chose to activate and deliver the payload, otherwise every punch or kick by a character with [power] would be a carrier. If he has to chose to use the payload attack, he's also gotta at least time the payload to go off once the carrier has landed... and that timing may be seen by some as a matter of Accuracy or Precision.

I can see the validity of arguments bot for and against using accuracy for the Payload. But it seems as though the Damage Modifier applies to all damage done so I would lean towards using it for both.

• My personal preference is to apply both the Accuracy and Damage Modifier to both the Carrier and Payload attacks. It's simple and it works. I don't know if my personal preference really counts as a House Rule, but there ya'll go.

And like I said earlier, if the players are having a good time, you're doin' it right.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2015 at 6:26am by Ironnerd »  

3170de5d8e562f84342c0ecd4ce52ab1.jpg ( 1299 KB | 2 Downloads )
3170de5d8e562f84342c0ecd4ce52ab1.jpg

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #34 - Jul 1st, 2015 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
I definitely think there needs to be two attacks to hit, one for the carrier and another for the payload.  Not only does it suggest that in the rules, but it makes the most sense.

I mean, if a defending character has Adaptation, and the attacking player has a HTH carrier with a Lightning Control payload, how do we best figure out what happens?

Adaptation does nothing to slow down HTH, so let's suppose that the carrier will hit.

Now how do we resolve whether that Lightning will hit as well?  The rules have you make a second attack (for the payload) just like you would do if a different character was blasting that target from across the battlefield (with Lightning).

To make that payload (Lightning) automatically hit, or to automatically make it miss seems stange to me.

The rules work perfectly as-is (regarding the two rolls to hit part), and this is one of those things that I would never consider house-ruling, as I don't see any way to improve upon them.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2015 at 1:33pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

>