Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Damage Bonus on a Carrier Attack too? (Read 9247 times)
Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Re: Damage Bonus on a Carrier Attack too?
Reply #35 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 8:59pm:
Phrennzy wrote on Jun 30th, 2015 at 10:17am:
So you do not allow the accuracy modifier on the payload attack?

So, were we talking accuracy and to hit or damage mod?
I personally think a second roll to hit is retarded for the payload, the delivery being the carrier, however, I can also subscribe there may be instances to apply that, thus I run a second hit roll as a GM's discretion usually and it's situational, but that house rule.

Damage mod is all about the carrier.

I was building off of the comment you made about the payload being extra ammo that doesn't inherit the actual characteristics of the combatant.  So I was curious if the payload to hit roll benefited from accuracy.  It's moot if you don't require a second to hit roll.

I agree with Majestic about the two rolls to hit, and his example is perfect. 

The way we do the entire carrier/payload thing is an attack roll for the carrier, and one for the payload.  Both benefit from the accuracy modifier.  The damage from the carrier and from the payload are added together and the damage modifier is added to that number, treating the carrier damage and payload damage as one 'attack'.  So we only apply the damage modifier once for the entire attack.

I was just curious about everyone else's take on it - I enjoy  discussing rules because often I have learned of rules I've been ignoring (like the bonus to healing if in a doctor's care) or doing 'wrong'.

Just about everyone agrees that putting the damage modifier on both the carrier and payload damage is 'double dipping'; but isn't it interesting that no one balks at giving both carrier and payload the benefit of the accuracy modifier?

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #36 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Phrennzy wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 1:05pm:
The way we do the entire carrier/payload thing is an attack roll for the carrier, and one for the payload.  Both benefit from the accuracy modifier.  The damage from the carrier and from the payload are added together and the damage modifier is added to that number, treating the carrier damage and payload damage as one 'attack'.  So we only apply the damage modifier once for the entire attack.

Not bad, Phrennzy. I like your take on that.

feature-thumbs-up.gif ( 9 KB | 6 Downloads )
feature-thumbs-up.gif

John "Ironnerd" Adams
"The GM is the balancing mechanic" - Klystron

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #37 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Just about everyone agrees that putting the damage modifier on both the carrier and payload damage is 'double dipping'; but isn't it interesting that no one balks at giving both carrier and payload the benefit of the accuracy modifier?

The reason I don't require players to make the second roll to hit is because the intention of accuracy is also on the carrier alone. The payload can't deliver without it, that is the very definition of why a "carrier" attack is needed in the first place. The possible consideration of that second roll is usually if a player argues they have a defense that requires it and I make the NPC roll the payload if applicable.

A gun is a carrier attack for special bullets. Do you need to roll twice?

It's my opinion (and only that) two hit rolls is a silly rule and makes no sense - one of those technical rolls that slows things down and gives too much crunch to the rules unnecessarily.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #38 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 2:43pm:

The reason I don't require players to make the second roll to hit is because the intention of accuracy is also on the carrier alone. The payload can't deliver without it, that is the very definition of why a "carrier" attack is needed in the first place. The possible consideration of that second roll is usually if a player argues they have a defense that requires it and I make the NPC roll the payload if applicable.

A gun is a carrier attack for special bullets. Do you need to roll twice?

It's my opinion (and only that) two hit rolls is a silly rule and makes no sense - one of those technical rolls that slows things down and gives too much crunch to the rules unnecessarily.

I wouldn't consider the gun to be a carrier because you don't hit anyone with the gun.  (Unless it's one of those old punch guns triggered to discharge when punching.)

Totally agree that more rolling is not necessarily better.  (To speed things up we often roll the damage along with the to hit.  If you miss, you just scoop up the dice.  If you hit, you've already got the damage out there.)

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #39 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
<topic drift>
Interesting point, AlabasterKnight. Does a special bullet have to roll to hit twice?

It's possible, I guess to interpret the rules so that two rolls are required in order to accurately approximate comic-book physics.

First the gun us aimed at the target and fired. The bullet then has a chance to hit the intended target doing damage as a bullet. The bullet then delivers it's special payload. Since it is non-sentient it attacks as level 4, and a roll to attack each character in the blast radius (or cloud radius, or whatever radius) is made. If the bullet has a stun attack (paralysis round), it may lose the ability to inflict impact damage in favor of delivering the p-ray attack.

So, depending upon the circumstances, the answer to your question could be "yes" or "no". I'm sure others have different interpretations of the details, but I think a few will agree that "it depends".

Fun thought experiment. Thanks for posting that one AK.
</topic drift>

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #40 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
We've often used the "add up all the damage together", too, Phrennzy.

And yes, AK, if a gun is using special rounds, then absolutely they should have two rolls.  It's not uncommon in our games (in fact, I'd say it's more common than not) for the carrier to hit, but the payload to not actually impact the target.

Probably the most common usage of this would be the archer with a whole batch of trick arrows.  They might be really good at getting their arrows to hit, but that doesn't give them an easier way of landing attacks (that otherwise they couldn't make).

So the arrow might hit, but the Ice Carrier (if the target had Adaptation) would not leave the target covered in ice.  Or they might hit with the arrow (which they are super accurate with, due to Heightened Expertise, training, etc.), but that doesn't mean the stun payload (which attacks as Paralysis) will.

That payload attack (in the case of Paralysis) should have no more chance of affecting the target than if they'd been shot by a Paralysis Ray from some other villain.  The carrier simply allows them a way of getting a (basically free) two-for-one attack.  It gives the character the opportunity to land two attacks.  Nothing in the rules suggests that the second attack lands for free (without a roll).

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #41 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:45am
Print Post  
re·tard
verb
past tense: retarded; past participle: retarded
/riˈtärd/
delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.

Used above to reflect a stunted idea.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:48am by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #42 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:50am
Print Post  
What if the payload is carried inside the ammo and the ammo penetrates before effect?

Or let's dumb it down: Captain America takes a spear to the chest. Right there at the tip of the spear embedded in his chest now are the three sticks of dynamite affixed to the spear with duct tape and the lit fuse is up. Boom! Do we really need a to hit roll to blow Cap to smithereens?

This is the house rules section, right?
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:53am by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #43 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:54am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 5:17pm:
So the arrow might hit, but the Ice Carrier (if the target had Adaptation) would not leave the target covered in ice. 

By the way, what part of the power concept of Adaptation (since we're all talking about the game making sense) applies to mitigating accuracy???

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #44 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Nothing in the rules suggests that the second attack lands for free

And, if you read my comment above, I sometimes based on the case make a second roll if the hero makes a case for an applicable defense to payload...

We're in house rules, right? Just making sure?

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #45 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 8:38am
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:45am:
re·tard
verb
past tense: retarded; past participle: retarded
/riˈtärd/
delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.

Used above to reflect a stunted idea.

I'm not sure most people think of that clean definition when they see or hear "That's retarded" in a sentence, but I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, although I would have chosen a different word like "Underdeveloped" (although that is not my feeling on the rule).

AlabasterKnight wrote on Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:50am:
What if the payload is carried inside the ammo and the ammo penetrates before effect?

Or let's dumb it down: Captain America takes a spear to the chest. Right there at the tip of the spear embedded in his chest now are the three sticks of dynamite affixed to the spear with duct tape and the lit fuse is up. Boom! Do we really need a to hit roll to blow Cap to smithereens?

This is the house rules section, right?

Why would you want to kill Captain America? He's a really nice guy.

More seriously, as a GM, in those two instances I would roll 1d20 to see if the carrier was a dud (the rules state that there is a 5% chance that an explosive might be a dud) - or to see if the bullet exited the character before the payload went off. What if the Spear penetrated Cap's chest and blood spurted out and extinguish the fuse? Or the force of the impact tore the tape, or broke the spear?

Again, AK, you make a very interesting point.

Edited:
I forgot to mention the interesting point that AK brought up...
Basically, there are times when a die roll just isn't needed. Although I pointed out possible paths of escape for Captain America, what AK was actually pushing at was there is really no need to make the second roll in these instances. Quite frankly, I completely agree with him.

However, there are those times when a die roll would be the right thing to do (uhmmm... a whip with a poison payload maybe), and the rule explains how to handle those instances. Could use a few more words, but it's there.

AlabasterKnight wrote on Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:54am:
So the arrow might hit, but the Ice Carrier (if the target had Adaptation) would not leave the target covered in ice. 

By the way, what part of the power concept of Adaptation (since we're all talking about the game making sense) applies to mitigating accuracy???

Per the combat table, Ice Attacks have a base to-hit value of zero when used against a character using Adaptation as a defense. So the chances of hitting come down to Level-versus-level + zero or less on 1d20 (the attack goes from a base 70% chance to hit to 5%). That would seem to have a marked effect upon accuracy.

Edited:
I missed an important point AlabasterKnight was trying to make
Ice powers allow the character's body to generate cold and ice. Adaptation allows a character to resist the effects of a hostile environment. This is really a whole huge topic unto itself, and I have thoughts typed up if anyone cares to read even more of my thoughts on V&V. In brief, limiting hits has the same net effect as limiting damage. The number on the Power-vs-Power chart is, in my view, not really the odds of an attack striking the target, but of the attack damaging the target. But I seriously do not want to get into that here, that's much more than just topic drift.

AlabasterKnight wrote on Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:56am:
Nothing in the rules suggests that the second attack lands for free

And, if you read my comment above, I sometimes based on the case make a second roll if the hero makes a case for an applicable defense to payload...

We're in house rules, right? Just making sure?

Of course GM judgement trumps written rules, and we are in the House Rules section. But I believe that Phrennzy asked the original question to see if he needed a house rule or just a better understanding on the written rule was in order.

As always, AlabasterKnight, you bring up many excellent and thought provoking points in your posts.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2015 at 11:14am by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #46 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 3rd, 2015 at 8:38am:
Per the combat table, Ice Attacks have a base to-hit value of zero when used against a character using Adaptation as a defense. So the chances of hitting come down to Level-versus-level + zero or less on 1d20 (the attack goes from a base 70% chance to hit to 5%). That would seem to have a marked effect upon accuracy.

We can have the conversation about accuracy elsewhere at a later time.

One thing that is remarkably absent from any other consideration: Contributor or not, this is the house rules section where everyone gets to express what they do to tweak the rules for home use where they may not find them sensible or agreeable. This is outstanding any interpretation of whether the ideas are procedurally correct in the rules as written published Nineteen Eighty-Two.

This is not the section of the forum where the wily veterans come and beat people over the head as the rules police regardless that motivation.

Thanks,

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #47 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Jul 3rd, 2015 at 11:56am:
Ironnerd wrote on Jul 3rd, 2015 at 8:38am:

We can have the conversation about accuracy elsewhere at a later time.

That sounds like it will be an enjoyable and lively discussion. I look forward to it. I also agree that it is a subject for another time.

One thing that is remarkably absent from any other consideration: Contributor or not, this is the house rules section where everyone gets to express what they do to tweak the rules for home use where they may not find them sensible or agreeable. This is outstanding any interpretation of whether the ideas are procedurally correct in the rules as written published Nineteen Eighty-Two.

Well, okay. Again you make an excellent point, and I think we have all stated how we interpret the rules in question. We've basically said "Here is my house rule". And during that discussion we also looked over the rules as they are to help us develop and refine our house rules. I don't think anyone said "You're wrong", anywhere. As Majestic and I stated, we're really just sitting at the virtual game table doing gamer talk.

This is not the section of the forum where the wily veterans come and beat people over the head as the rules police regardless that motivation.

Thanks,

I agree completely. this is the House Rules portion of the forum. Perhaps what is needed is a subsection where we can discuss Rules as Written to help clarify some of the less intuitive rules of the game.

And thank-you again for your post. As always you bring a lot of expertise and food for thought to the thread.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #48 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
This is the House Rules section but it also stated it was the forum for discussing rules in general.  There wasn't a forum area more applicable. 

I enjoy hearing everyone's views on the rules and how they implement them.  That's how a game grows and becomes more fun for me and my group. 

The rules set of V&V is so broad that house rules MUST be applied, as there are constant situations that arise that are not covered.  (Or that are found so repugnant by the players that they MUST be house ruled.)

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #49 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
In my world, when you try to do a carrier attack it works like this:

Hit with the initial attack? Great. Proceed to the carrier/payload/secondary attack. Hit with that too? Great. Roll damage for both. I give an accuracy bonus for both attacks, and a damage adjustment for damage rolls.

That's it. I only give one damage adjustment per attack, but with carrier attacks that one attack that's a bridge to a second attack.

Don't like my ruling? Don't play in my games. It's fair because it applies to everyone.

Nuff said.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #50 - Jul 4th, 2015 at 7:00am
Print Post  
I'm coming late to the party for a response, so allow me to just say pretty much what Phrennzy said, that this is the section of this forum for discussing both the House Rules as well as the regular Rules.  There doesn't seem to be another 'Rules' section on this forum.

And I don't think anybody has beat anyone over the head or been a "rules policeman" here on this discussion.  Certainly that's never been my intent, and I haven't picked that up from anybody else here.

You clearly feel that carrier attacks don't work well as written in the rules, and some of us disagree with that.  No big deal.  You're free to house rule things as you like.  The only insult (that I'm aware of, FWIW, ironically enough, has come from you (calling the RAW, which you disagree with, as being "retarded").  Ironnerd wasn't the only one who was a bit offput by that remark.  It was a bit demeaning to those of us who find it to be an elegant, excellent way of adjudicating things.

But I don't find it fair to insist that because this is the House Rules section that we can't bring up the actual rules of the game.  As is often the case, sometimes people misunderstand something about how the rules work in a certain way (it's happened to all of us; there's many places where they're not very clear), and this is a great place for clarifying things and perhaps honing or adjusting things to create variants or house rules.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2015 at 7:01am by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #51 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 3:57am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 4th, 2015 at 7:00am:
I'm coming late to the party for a response, so allow me to just say pretty much what Phrennzy said, that this is the section of this forum for discussing both the House Rules as well as the regular Rules.  There doesn't seem to be another 'Rules' section on this forum.

And I don't think anybody has beat anyone over the head or been a "rules policeman" here on this discussion.  Certainly that's never been my intent, and I haven't picked that up from anybody else here.

You clearly feel that carrier attacks don't work well as written in the rules, and some of us disagree with that.  No big deal.  You're free to house rule things as you like.  The only insult (that I'm aware of, FWIW, ironically enough, has come from you (calling the RAW, which you disagree with, as being "retarded").  Ironnerd wasn't the only one who was a bit offput by that remark.  It was a bit demeaning to those of us who find it to be an elegant, excellent way of adjudicating things.

But I don't find it fair to insist that because this is the House Rules section that we can't bring up the actual rules of the game.  As is often the case, sometimes people misunderstand something about how the rules work in a certain way (it's happened to all of us; there's many places where they're not very clear), and this is a great place for clarifying things and perhaps honing or adjusting things to create variants or house rules.

Sigh.

This is not directed at Majestic.

I've received barbed messages about this particular topic, and I'm already bored with it. Give a damage bonus once, give it twice, or give one tenth the square root and flush it down the damn crapper if you want. It's the GM's call, and that's all that matters, regardless of anything written in any edition.

So, please tell me that someone on this forum can call a rule "retarded" without backlash. Please tell me that we are strong enough to withstand the stress of people expressing themselves about 33 year old rules, even when we don't agree with them.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #52 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
For the most part, this has actually been a very interesting thread. It is always eye-opening to see how different people see the same rule in different ways.

I never find conversations with players/fans/GMs/customers to be dull or boring in the least. They are always enjoyable, informative, and even inspiring (as in, it inspires new thoughts in my normally dormant mind). It's also a really important method for getting feedback on the product and a feel for what rules or sections need some attention.

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #53 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jul 4th, 2015 at 7:00am:
The only insult (that I'm aware of, FWIW, ironically enough, has come from you (calling the RAW, which you disagree with, as being "retarded").  ~  It was a bit demeaning to those of us who find it to be an elegant, excellent way of adjudicating things.

I'm sorry there are those who are "offput" by my use of the word 'retarded'. I won't deflect people's assumptions to apology and foster a stigma of trying to perpetuate what I said as a negative.
It's a good word that has been a part of the English language for a very long time and expresses how I feel about a less than progressive, overcomplicated approach to a problem.

If somehow I offended someone or implied my opinion of the way they interpret the words as used somehow labels them as stupid, there are two ends to the train -

Either there's some insecurity there causing doubt in your mind that raises pride of defense giving power to your perception that you heard the word in an ugly tone. That isn't my responsibility to live with and I don't harbor any guilt that needs to be paid in apologies, or -

You're so enamored of your viewpoint that you can't consider someone else's might hold your interpretations of rules and application at a lesser value to the benefit of their experience in their own game lifetime.

I'd like to think that someone just assumed something and in a anger-twisted moment tried to cast light on what I said and frame it for what its not.
So language gets PC'd to death literally that people forget the meanings of words in favor of the ugly things society foists into our tongue.

My wife is a top officer in the state division here that serves the developmentally disabled population and I am a veteran of social services too. I don't use the word retarded in that context ever or at all.

On topic - you roll tomatoes, I roll tomatoes.

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2015 at 10:19pm by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #54 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Did everyone like my July 4th emoticon under the forum banner?

*cough* trying to change the subject *cough*

Cool

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Ironnerd
Justice Leaguer

Crunchy on the outside,
chewy on the inside.

Reply #55 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
@AlabasterKnight, I've attempted to keep this polite and out of the public eye, and in the PM's expressed only my concerns about a well known, respected, and intelligent writer and illustrator who has contributed so much to this game stating in an open forum that some rule in the V&V system is essentially pointless, and that it is holding the game back. I must admit to being somewhat taken aback by that statement, but sometimes, you just have to call it like you see it, and I respect that kind of honesty.

Yeah, I would have used a different word. As you taught me, we lose about 90% of our meaning when we post in forums. Because of that loss of communication some people may only see a word they find offensive, and entirely miss my meaning of the message. Which is rather unfortunate since you make a solid point with what you said; People see the rules differently, and that the rules are not set in stone, that's wonderful and I agree with you completely. It just seems unfortunate that the message may have been lost on a few. I find the rules as written to be pretty slick and they allow me to do some pretty crazy stuff. You don't see them in the same light all the time, and have shown fantastic imagination in creating House Rules and Variant rules. I don't think we in the community can really properly thank you for that effort.

As I said, this has been a very interesting conversation, and I have learned much from it. And as always, AlabasterKnight, you have taught me a valuable lesson; I must be more clear when I post here on the forum. I thank you again for your leadership by example.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2015 at 3:44pm by Ironnerd »  

John "Ironnerd" Adams

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

>