Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Phoenix Comicon 2015 (Read 10820 times)
Time Traveller
Sidekick

V&V - Min/Max Your Mind!

Re: Phoenix Comicon 2015
Reply #35 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Nice summary.  Some questions remain - what was the meaning/purpose of the statues?

TT

IP Logged

Time Traveller
Sidekick

V&V - Min/Max Your Mind!

Reply #36 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Jun 3rd, 2015 at 2:26am:
I also appreciate what you told your son on the second day: "This isn't the kind of game where you min/max your character. This is a game where you need to min/max your mind!" It was cool you hear you say that.

It just came out, it's how I feel about V&V and believe me I have played the other side of the coin (Champions, etc.) and V&V Captures the spirit of superheroic comic struggles.

TT

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #37 - Jun 17th, 2015 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Time Traveller wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 11:55pm:
Nice summary.  Some questions remain - what was the meaning/purpose of the statues?

TT

In Hyperion's hidden lair, there was were an array of Statues of World War II Super Soldiers from across the world - Clockwork, Gestalt, Von Volt, Ubermensch, Lancaster, Sunrise, Magnetic North, etc.

It was Hyperion's hope that his change to the time stream would have many effects:
- Ubermensch would never have existed.
- Von Volt could have been a resistance fighter against the Nazis, instead of being forced to work with them.
- Sunrise would never have been captured/killed.
- Magnetic North would have stayed in prison and not be offered a pardon for his efforts in the war.
- Lancaster would never have been MIA.
And so on.

And yes, he would also have avoided almost 20 years of torture at the hands of German Scientists, and his powers would have been what they had been back in 1919. But the statues were meant to remind him of the big picture, beyond personal gain, of all the good he could do, and all the bad he could undo. And those were the reasons why he decided he was justified in hurting people in this time.

(The super soldiers above (and more) can be found in the upcoming book: World War II Super Soldiers from FGU. And although Hyperion is a WWI hero, you can find him in WWIISS as well.)

RAMBLE
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2015 at 1:43am by Ramble »  

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #38 - Jun 17th, 2015 at 1:41am
Print Post  
Time Traveller wrote on Jun 15th, 2015 at 11:59pm:
Ramble wrote on Jun 3rd, 2015 at 2:26am:
I also appreciate what you told your son on the second day: "This isn't the kind of game where you min/max your character. This is a game where you need to min/max your mind!" It was cool you hear you say that.

It just came out, it's how I feel about V&V and believe me I have played the other side of the coin (Champions, etc.) and V&V Captures the spirit of superheroic comic struggles.

TT

Well, it was an awesome statement and I'll never forget it. Thank you again for giving us your time, and I hope our paths cross again. It was fun watching Jinn, Morph and Volt strut their stuff in Phoenix!

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #39 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
More great summaries, Darren!

And I love how you tied the adventure in to your WWII stuff.  Brilliant!  Thanks for sharing these summaries with us!

I have to say I can not recall anyone using the bathroom in the middle of a battle before!  Grin

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #40 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
It was superbly run by Ramble. I have to say, it was exciting for me to consistently return to the table to take pictures and be super jazzed by how things were going. I think we can have an even larger presence next year.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #41 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
My schedule should be much freer next year.  I'm sorry I wasn't able to attend, but I had just way too much going on this year.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #42 - Jun 26th, 2015 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Jun 24th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
More great summaries, Darren!

And I love how you tied the adventure in to your WWII stuff.  Brilliant!  Thanks for sharing these summaries with us!

I have to say I can not recall anyone using the bathroom in the middle of a battle before!  Grin

Well, it helps to have a real background that I'm comfortable with, since all the players are new to me, and I don't know their style, preferences, etc. At least if the place (Strand), NPCs (Hyperion, The Zodiac Syndicate, and Sandstorm, etc.) are known to me, then I have that level of comfort to fall back on and I can focus on the players and the flow of the game.

Adding WWII Super Soldiers to the plot made sense because it provides colour to the story, and it's important to the main villain, Hyperion. Also, I like the characters, and I don't mind hinting at their existence.

Yes, Morph went to the bathroom during the game - I believe he did it to "think" about the problem he was having (he was having problems taking down a beefed up security guard and the super soldier Solo). This is a likely reason, because Morph is an alien with an automatic life support defence, so he doesn't actually need to go to the bathroom.
Smiley

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #43 - Jun 26th, 2015 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Jun 24th, 2015 at 8:34pm:
It was superbly run by Ramble. I have to say, it was exciting for me to consistently return to the table to take pictures and be super jazzed by how things were going. I think we can have an even larger presence next year.

I couldn't have run anything without the support I got from AK in terms of maps, access to graphics, pre-gens, etc. I ran the game, but AK made it professional grade.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Time Traveller
Sidekick

V&V - Min/Max Your Mind!

Reply #44 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Jun 17th, 2015 at 1:31am:
And yes, he would also have avoided almost 20 years of torture at the hands of German Scientists, and his powers would have been what they had been back in 1919. But the statues were meant to remind him of the big picture, beyond personal gain, of all the good he could do, and all the bad he could undo. And those were the reasons why he decided he was justified in hurting people in this time.

So, was there a significant moral dilemma created by bollixing up his plans to avoid capture by the Germans?  Did I inadvertently help the Nazis by thwarting Hyperion?  Or did I help maintain the continuity of the timeline by avoiding potential paradoxes regarding events that already happened?

Asked as Volt - the hero persona that prevented such changes.

TT

IP Logged

Time Traveller
Sidekick

V&V - Min/Max Your Mind!

Reply #45 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
(The super soldiers above (and more) can be found in the upcoming book: World War II Super Soldiers from FGU. And although Hyperion is a WWI hero, you can find him in WWIISS as well.)

Oooh, I can't wait, I have always loved Four Color/WWII superhero settings and supplements.  I can still remember finding 'The Golden Age of Champions' when I was traveling around (because it wasn't available locally, that I could find).  That is one of the best written supplements on WWII supers and the context that they live in (usually neglected).  Even their later version wasn't as good.  I put that right up there behind Strikeforce as one of the best superhero rpg supplements ever written (that are good as general super reference). 

Note: I may have mentioned in person that I have a significant collection of superhero rpg items (goes with the comic collection dontcha know).  I am a little weaker on the most recent super rpgs (like no M&M 3rd edition?!?, eventually), but I am up to date on V&V, which I still love and think is probably the most accessible - as superhero rpgs are about the stories not the stats.

TT

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #46 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Time Traveller wrote on Jun 28th, 2015 at 8:50pm:

So, was there a significant moral dilemma created by bollixing up his plans to avoid capture by the Germans?  Did I inadvertently help the Nazis by thwarting Hyperion?  Or did I help maintain the continuity of the timeline by avoiding potential paradoxes regarding events that already happened?

Asked as Volt - the hero persona that prevented such changes.

TT

Hey TT!

Had you known what he was trying to do, then there could have been a moral dilemma... but you didn't know what he was actually intending to do.

Did you help the Nazis? Essentially, you screwed up Hyperion's plan by pushing everything back a week - he missed his window of opportunity to free his younger self from German captivity, and since your team captured and then destroyed the device that he would have used to get himself back, he only had 24 hours before the machine took him back to our time. So, going back to the original question, you took away Hyperion's opportunity to alter the past by changing his point of entry, and limiting the amount of time he could spend back there... Hyperion used his brief trip to refresh his powers but that's really all he could manage in the few hours left to him.

Your actions essentially stopped a divergent timeline /parallel dimension from being created where the effects of Hyperion going back in time are fully realized. Whether that would have caused a) a full success like he was working for; b) a partial success where they never got the critical data from Hyperion to develop Ubermensch, but otherwise the Nazi war machine kept on trucking along; or c) Hyperion failed in his mission and he was captured or killed in his attempt... well I'm not going to tip my hand on that "what if".

In short, you protected the past, but Hyperion managed to refresh his powers, which could change the future.

Confused yet? Gotta love messing with the timeline...

RAMBLE
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2015 at 2:32am by Ramble »  

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #47 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Time Traveller wrote on Jun 28th, 2015 at 8:59pm:

Oooh, I can't wait, I have always loved Four Color/WWII superhero settings and supplements.  I can still remember finding 'The Golden Age of Champions' when I was traveling around (because it wasn't available locally, that I could find).  That is one of the best written supplements on WWII supers and the context that they live in (usually neglected).  Even their later version wasn't as good.  I put that right up there behind Strikeforce as one of the best superhero rpg supplements ever written (that are good as general super reference). 

Note: I may have mentioned in person that I have a significant collection of superhero rpg items (goes with the comic collection dontcha know).  I am a little weaker on the most recent super rpgs (like no M&M 3rd edition?!?, eventually), but I am up to date on V&V, which I still love and think is probably the most accessible - as superhero rpgs are about the stories not the stats.

TT

Well, I seriously hope that you and all other readers love the book when it comes out. I know AK has already started on the artwork, and we'll soon be doing some editing on the finished product.

World War II Super Soldiers is a cross section of some the heroes, villains, and soldiers who are fighting in this war on both sides of the conflict. I've tried to consciously avoid the trap that all the "Allied Heroes" are good guys, and that all the "Axis Heroes" are inherently evil. There are some good people forced into the Axis war machine, just as there are some real villains fighting on the side of the Allies.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #48 - Aug 21st, 2016 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Here's an update on a range of things in this thread...

World War II Super Soldiers is nearly complete, but the artwork is being done by Joe Singleton, not AK. Alabaster Knight is doing the layout chores to give the book the shine and polish that all FGU products need. I'd like to thank both of these fine gentlemen for their efforts. This book should be available in the next month (before October 2016 I expect).

And yes, the .pdf for WWIISS is in colour.

More updates to come.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #49 - Aug 21st, 2016 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
The character of Hyperion will appear in World War II Super Soldiers, Volume 2.... not Volume 1. Volume 2 is currently being written right now. As a thank you for being patient, Hyperion will appear as he did in WWI (his glory days), WWII (after he was tortured and his powers drained to create Ubermensch), and in his modern day version that our heroes fought at the convention.

(Ubermensch, Magnetic North, Chamber, Lancaster, Sunrise, Firenoodle, and 2 dozen more fully documented super soldiers will appear in WWIISS, Volume 1.)

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #50 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 2:11am
Print Post  
Sigh...  The day that Ivy Doomkitty honored my a$$ with a gentle squeeze!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

>