Normal Topic The Killing Joke (Read 1116 times)
Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

The Killing Joke
Jul 16th, 2015 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/07/10/batman-the-killing-joke-gets-an-animated...

Batman: The Killing Joke Gets an Animated Adaptation
By Tim BeedleFriday, July 10th, 2015

Bruce Timm’s latest animated movie, Justice League: Gods and Monsters, had its World Premiere tonight in front of thousands of Comic-Con attendees. But being the very first to see Timm’s radical new take on the Justice League was only one of the treats they received as Warner Bros. revealed the three DC Universe Original Movies that will be released in 2016, including an adaptation of the classic Joker story,  Batman: The Killing Joke.

Batman: The Killing Joke is the seminal graphic novel written by Alan Moore and drawn by Brian Bolland that offers up a potential (but not exactly trustworthy) origin for the Joker, and that led to a paralyzed Barbara Gordon to retire as Batgirl…temporarily. For years, it’s been one of the most regularly requested animated films by fans.

The animated adaptation of Batman: The Killing Joke is executive produced by Bruce Timm and will retell this classic tale in an exciting new way. It’ll also feature an original 15-minute prologue that helps set up the story, giving even longtime fans of the story something new to look forward to.

In addition, two other animated movies were announced:

Batman: Bad Blood—An original Batman story that features the introduction of Batwoman to the new line of animated films.

Justice League vs. Titans—Another original story and the first of the DC Universe Original Movies to feature the Teen Titans.

The Killing Joke isn’t the first classic DC graphic novel to be adapted into an animated film. Frank Miller’s Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One, as well as Darwyn Cooke’s The New Frontier, have also received the animated treatment. However, this seems to be the right year for Batman: The Killing Joke as it’s the Joker’s 75th Anniversary this year.

What do you think of this announcement? Are you looking forward to the movie? Let us know in the comments below, and be sure to click here to check out our clip of the Top 7 Sinister Joker Moments, which includes moments from Batman: The Killing Joke.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Re: The Killing Joke
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
If I remember correctly the Killing Joke featured nude pictures of Barbara Gordon, sent through the mail to her father, police commissioner James Gordon.

I wasn't a fan of it then or now. I can't get behind a product that propelled Joker to greater heights with an off stage sexual molestation of ... well anyone, but in this case a character we loved.

I've bought some crap anime (JLA: Time Trapper comes to mind) but this ... this is the one I won't touch no matter how good the adaptation or animation.  Tongue
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2015 at 10:38pm by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 12:44am
Print Post  
The Killing Joke is a very dark book.  It's one of the few books that takes Joker to his most cruel and despicable.  I don't have a problem with Joker photographing Barbara or molesting/raping her.  He was trying to break Jim Gordon, and harming Barbara, brutalizing her in the worst possible way, was the correct way to hurt her old man. 

I'm concerned that if they adapt it to a movie that they will shy away from the treatment Barbara received. 

While it might seem to be one more "Woman in a Refrigerator" it works and isn't casual.  I wouldn't be any more opposed to the Joker giving any of the Robins the same treatment in an attempt to get at Batman. 

I also think that Joker should have been executed by the state by now, but that's a whole different topic.

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
As a quick note to Ranger, the pictures - at least those detailed in the story - did not show anything beyond what you'd see on Saturday morning television, and it was set up in a video display the Joker had put together at an abandoned amusement park, not the mail.

There is no way in the name of God and all His little angels that a PG-13 animated work is going to explicate, in any sort of detail, acts of brutalization and/or sexual assault.  The work will, at most, give one-frame side-shots indicating only the most vague and amorphous images.  Verbal descriptions beyond "The Joker maimed your daughter" will be nonexistent.  Mr. Timm, et al, will proceed on the basis that "What's suggested is far more horrifying than actually displaying it."

I'm personally rather interested in what they do with this - although I'd bet the future survival of the human race on the fact that Alan Moore will absolutely dissociate his name from the project - and am hoping that the producers swat themselves across the face a few times in an effort to wake up and realize that hiring Kevin Conroy to play Batman is actually a good idea.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2015 at 5:03pm by Tempest »  

IP Logged

Phrennzy
Avenger

I'm very pretty!

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
I can't imagine for a moment that they would actually SHOW the Joker at work on Barbara.  I certainly think your "What's suggested is far more horrifying than actually displaying it." is almost universally true for impact. 

Certain violent acts - like rape and murder - happen in real life, and I don't need to have the images burned into my mind.  Just pass on the information if it is integral for the story.  In this case, showing how brutal and deranged the Joker is, it works.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Anyone watch Batman, Assault on Arkham with the Suicide Squad? Remember the scene in the hotel with Harley and Deadshot?

These "cartoons" have gotten very dark and violent and Killing Joke's reputation begs to push the envelope.  Joker and Harley are as popular as Batman and Robin in some ways these days and personally I detest the spotlighting of a sexual predator.

Maybe the won't sensationalize it, but until Joker pays a price for his heinous crimes of this nature, I think these comics focusing on the "villain"'become more an affirmation of what can be gotten away with than a warning of what isn't acceptable Embarrassed

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

>