Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anybody else find some of the Crushers too Camp or Silly? (Read 6017 times)
Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Anybody else find some of the Crushers too Camp or Silly?
Sep 10th, 2015 at 1:02am
Print Post  
As we talked about in another thread, I've long shied away from using a few of the Crushers, notably Mocker and the Shrew.  I used to feel the same way about Marionette, but have since decided to use her as written.

And over the last few years, I've softened on Mocker as well, deciding to use the character, albeit changed a bit.

Anybody else find some of them a bit too camp for their tastes?

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Re: Anybody else find some of the Crushers too Camp or Silly?
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Believe it or not, I have never played or run anything with the Crusaders or Dr. Apocalypse.

I'll be interested in seeing how this thread plays out.

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Interesting point, Majestic; in the games we've run over thirty-plus years, the Crushers gang has been used at multiple points, and in multiple narrative forms.  While several of them, I agree, do have comedic/parody aspects in their origin and/or characteristics, those have - at least as we've used them - been nothing much more than distraction points, such as a way to get Bull looking in the wrong direction while one of the PCs gets ready to level your basic haymaker.

Mocker has, in my brother's (and my, I hope) hands, become a rather frightening individual, both in terms of appearance and conduct.  Shrew has kicked some serious butt, and her addiction issues, on one memorable occasion, served as a moment of real role-playing interaction between her and one of the PCs who expressed an attraction to her; she basically froze up and then ran off when the PC started outlining how she could start re-engineering her life.

Temper, due to low hit points, unpredictable to-hits with his Emotion Control and attitude, has come across as more of a fall guy than most of the others - but he's definitely been the exception to the rule in this regard.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
I don't think the Crushers are too silly or campy, but past players have generally regarded them as fall guys compared to other villains. Some weak links include:

Hornet
Stormlord
Mocker
Vulture
Temper

The rest are pretty average in terms of threat level.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2015 at 6:36am
Print Post  
I used Temper once and maybe I twisted his powers a bit. I had him use the Emotion Control in a crowd of 200 people with a radius  attack. Since he absorbed PR points he ended up being pretty tough since he could roll with major damage

Since the Crushers were brought up I think I will be using them and leveling them up to match. If I remember most were pretty young. Let's add 10 years of experience points and see how they turn out.

Cant add 30 years or they would end up being older than most of us.... Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2015 at 6:44am by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2015 at 11:05am
Print Post  
While we're on the topic... the Crusaders were not too silly or campy... but Blizzard and Laserfire were generally seen as weak links who made better guards than heroes.

(I know some people have just said "add levels / powers" to bring them up to standard, but then we aren't talking about the same characters any more, and it really just proves the point that characters in question need to be upgraded in the first place.)

I think this was done on purpose - after all if the Crusaders were really top notch then we wouldn't need the player characters to save them, eh?

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2015 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
To answer ONI...

Other than Mocker (6), Fist (30) and Temper (19), the Crushers were all in their 20's. I'm not sure what ten years worth of XP means, but the main problems with Shocker and Stormlord are that they have expensive powers combined with low power points/HP.

Vulture just needs some kind of combat options - my players noticed he would target female heroes (the only ones he could lift up and drop) and after that they regarded him as target practice since he has no ranged attacks, no defence forms, never saw sneaky attacks coming (poor detection scores) and could be wrestled to the ground by most male characters (and quite a few females as well).

Temper has no defence forms, no alternate attack forms, and has a power that fills an opponent with rage - and he can be the victim of that rage. So he has to get close to his victims and then must escape even though he's not fast at all. He needs an opening, and my players never gave him one.

And Mocker. Being the leader means my players would focus on him, and being an obvious android meant that they would use powers that work better on him. What's more, because he would insult them at every opportunity, they never really held back. So, Mocker didn't last two rounds against the players and they were kinda disappointed that the leader didn't last longer ("he's all talk").

Those are just my experiences with the characters, and it's been THIRTY YEARS since I've used them. My players liked CACC because they got to test run their characters, but they don't have fond memories of the Crushers because they didn't last long enough to form lasting memories.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Interesting points, Ramble.  I like your breakdown.

The Crushers are a "starter" group, so players will "outgrow" them fairly quickly unless the GM helps them out.  I've ran test scenarios (without players) with them just to see how they stack up, and they usually fall over pretty easily with any average group of heroes.  Spider-Man could probably successfully complete CCC by himself, even when he was fifteen years old; Mercury Mercenary notwithstanding.

Bull, in particular, was disappointing because he's a stereotypical brick but his Agility is so IMPOSSIBLY low that I can't even imagine what that looks like in "real" life.  My first attempt at imagining it was to think of him as "muscle bound."  But that's not right because he can lift 16K pounds and he only weighs 500+.

The Shrew works if you allow her to use all of her stat increases at once (3 PR/turn.)

Mercury Mercenary and FIST seem to be the best opponents, although Merc's only real threat is his speed.  I wouldn't mind finding out what would happen if he learned who he really was.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 7:41am
Print Post  
We use a formula of "x" amount of experience points a day for characters just in general to figure out leveling up over time. I stole the idea from John and I use it for the Ravenswood when making up NPC's to see what level a Blacksmith would be at 40 years old. The "X" is based off the type of job. I tend to start the xp calculation at age 18 since all the xps gained in that time would go towards skills such as education, computers, driving, etc. The 40 year old blacksmith would have about 8K xps.

Now Super Villains would get more than 1 per day. Assume they may not be working their newest caper every day but training, beating up on low level "normals" and such would yield a higher amount. Just look at your own PC's who have been playing for the last ten years with the same character. What level are they? I would say pretty high.

If I added 10 points of agility to Bull over that time I think there would be a decent difference in him. The same could be said for all of them depending on how you sort the training bonuses with each.

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 9:28am
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Sep 13th, 2015 at 7:41am:
We use a formula of "x" amount of experience points a day for characters just in general to figure out leveling up over time.

Now Super Villains would get more than 1 per day. Assume they may not be working their newest caper every day but training, beating up on low level "normals" and such would yield a higher amount. Just look at your own PC's who have been playing for the last ten years with the same character. What level are they? I would say pretty high.

I use something similar but not quantified when creating new villains.  They need to be sufficiently BA to be a challenge and this justifies it. I also have adjusted PC's from previous games that the players will (or likely will) encounter. This factors in experience gained outside of the normal campaign.

I stole the idea from John

And now I am stealing it from you.  I like the idea of having it quantified, since it keeps the playing field more or less even.

Thanks for posting.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Thanks Klystron.

I don't use the formula when creating actual Villains but if I want to have some type of experience for a "normal" or use it as a guide to add or subtract for age I may edit the level slightly based of that.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
For my money... I don't need the Crushers. Rather than building them up, I'll just use another character who is better than suited to my campaign without being heavily modified.

For example, instead of Shocker and Mocker, I would use Overload and Silencer (See Mercenaries Source book). I'd drop Hornet and Vulture for Lightning Bug and Wasp (see Enemies at Large). You get the idea.

One thing I do like and still use from CACC is the Crusader's Citadel itself. I like the layout, and it works for the "headquarters in a building" concept. Very useful and not very often exceeded in terms of completeness.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
I guess I'll answer Majestic's question since I never did and leave it at that.

I remember going against them as a PC in probably our third adventure. I think there were 3-4 PC's against them. At the time it was fun and I would say challenging based off the fact that it was a 2/1 ratio of Villains to Hero's.

Would they present a challenge now after knowing all the powers and how best to use them, not really but back then I enjoyed them.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
The Crushers were designed for not just first level heroes, but player's first time playing V&V.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
They also don't exist in the V&V universe.  The Preface on page three in the adventure notes this.  You wouldn't think that would be the case given their popularity.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Sep 15th, 2015 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Display Name wrote on Sep 13th, 2015 at 8:57pm:
They also don't exist in the V&V universe.  The Preface on page three in the adventure notes this.  You wouldn't think that would be the case given their popularity.

I don't take that to mean they aren't part of the official V&V universe.  I think they just wanted to imply that it's meant to be a first-time adventure that people shouldn't feel like they have to include it as part of their campaigns.

The fact that Jeff and Jack included a number of the characters in the artwork for 2.1 makes me think they intend for the characters to be part of their "official universe".

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #16 - Sep 15th, 2015 at 2:22am
Print Post  
Don't kid yourself folks. As far as Monkeyhouse / Dee & Herman are concerned, The Crusaders and The Crushers are absolutely part of "the official V&V universe". They're pretty clear about that on their rules for freelancers post.

(Nothing I've written and published is part of this "official" universe. But neither is FORCE, Enemies at Large, The Destroyers, Danger in the Depths, Power of One, Doctor Porky-lips, Sands of Time, Opponents Unlimited, Micro-Universe, Secrets of The Swamp, Into the Sub-Realm, Devil's Domain, Super Crooks & Criminals, Enter The Gene Pool, Pentacle Plot, Great Bridge, Dawn of DNA, Always Outnumbered, Terror by Night, Menagerie, Great Iridium Con, Centerville Incident, Honor, Citizen Report, Most Wanted III, Vigilantes International, Alone into the Night, Attack on the Poseidon Line, To Tackle the Totem, Citizen's Report, and more).

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #17 - Sep 15th, 2015 at 5:48am
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Sep 15th, 2015 at 2:22am:
(Nothing I've written and published is part of this "official" universe. But neither is FORCE, Enemies at Large, The Destroyers, Danger in the Depths, Power of One, Doctor Porky-lips, Sands of Time, Opponents Unlimited, Micro-Universe, Secrets of The Swamp, Into the Sub-Realm, Devil's Domain, Super Crooks & Criminals, Enter The Gene Pool, Pentacle Plot, Great Bridge, Dawn of DNA, Always Outnumbered, Terror by Night, Menagerie, Great Iridium Con, Centerville Incident, Honor, Citizen Report, Most Wanted III, Vigilantes International, Alone into the Night, Attack on the Poseidon Line, To Tackle the Totem, Citizen's Report, and more).

RAMBLE

Can you say that fast, three times?   Cheesy

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #18 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
No.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Allen
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #19 - Jan 30th, 2016 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Don't kid yourself folks. As far as Monkeyhouse / Dee & Herman are concerned, The Crusaders and The Crushers are absolutely part of "the official V&V universe". They're pretty clear about that on their rules for freelancers post.

RAMBLE

Pretty much anything that they don't own the copyright on, basically.

Allen

IP Logged

Allen
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #20 - Jan 30th, 2016 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
I started running this for a group of mostly newbies this Friday. Good times! Yes, there are silly elements, sort of like a lot of the comics back then Smiley The players seem to enjoy the fact that things aren't all grim. I even threw in some more Crushers Smiley or wanna-be Crushers anyway, knocking over a Qwik-E-Burger because the drive-thru guy got their order wrong Smiley (always check before you leave the drive-thru).
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2016 at 3:46pm by Allen »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #21 - Jan 30th, 2016 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
That's a great idea, Allen!  I consistently check the drive-thru before I drive away.

I wonder how many of us have the Lethal Weapon quotes going through our heads in those moments.  Grin

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #22 - Feb 14th, 2016 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
In issue #3 of the comic series from 1986, Jack listed updated levels for the members of the Crusaders (except Laserfire, who didn't age and was still the same level).

Manta-Man: 13
Evergreen: 11
Enforcer: 9
Dreamweaver: 7
Blizzard: 6

I would say the Crushers are likely around those levels as well at that time.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2016 at 12:46pm by Allen Shock »  

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #23 - Feb 14th, 2016 at 12:53pm
Print Post  

RAMBLE

The HELL?!?  So just what IS official V&V.. since most of the good stuff is categorically NOT!?!?

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #24 - Feb 14th, 2016 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Further investigation has led to the discovery that they update the Crushers too. This is as of 1986, 4 years after the module was published.

F.I.S.T. : 10th and no longer with the team
Mercury Mercenary: 9th
Temper: 6th
Vulture: went straight
Bull: 4th
The Shrew: dead from rabies
Mocker: 11th
Hornet: 3rd
Shocker: 6th
Mace: 10th
Stormlord: 9th
Marionette: 9th
Manstar: (not in the module) 1st
The Hauntress (the Shrew as a ghost): 6th.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2016 at 1:07pm by Allen Shock »  

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #25 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 12:59am
Print Post  

Thunderbolt wrote on Feb 14th, 2016 at 12:53pm:

RAMBLE

The HELL?!?  So just what IS official V&V.. since most of the good stuff is categorically NOT!?!?

Fun question. Here's the answer straight from Monkey House:

Here is a list of those materials: the various published editions of the Villains and Vigilantes™ role-playing game
(the 1979 edition, 1982 Revised Edition and the latest Version 2.1 published in 2010 from Monkey House games), the role-playing game adventure “Crisis At Crusader Citadel”, the role-playing game character book “Most Wanted, Volume 1”, the Villains and Vigilantes™ comic book mini-series published in 1987 by Eclipse Comics, the superhero role-playing game Living Legends™ published by Monkey House games, the line of role-playing game miniature figures for Villains and Vigilantes™ and Living Legends™ created by Lance and Laser and sold by Team Frog, the role-playing game adventures “Intercrime: Hostile Takeover™ ”, “Blood Ties™ ”, “Oil Pressure™ ”, “In Broad Daylight™ ”, “Infinity Lounge™ ”, “Ancient Evil™ ” and the “Crusader Citadel Foe Files™ ” published by Monkey House games, as well as all other remaining materials created by Jeff Dee and Jack Herman for V&V that were published either as magazine articles or online.

So... Robin from the Teen Titans is more of an official character in the V&V universe than Doctor Apocalypse is.
Who knew?
Smiley

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Allen
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #26 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 1:25am
Print Post  
I don't think Robin counts as having been created by Jeff Dee and Jack Herman...
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2016 at 1:26am by Allen »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #27 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 6:05am
Print Post  
No, he doesn't (and I'm sure Ramble knows that and is being a bit cheeky). Wink

FWIW, Dee and Herman have said that Dr. Apocalypse and his Destroyers (and other characters from Willingham's "Mount Pelion Universe") are all one dimension over from their official one.

IP Logged

>