Normal Topic Hello! (Read 1398 times)
Mook #2
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Hello!
Dec 11th, 2015 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
What is it about this game that it's still around?  My friends and I played V&V for almost three years before turning to Champions which didn't last as long or leave as strong as impression as this game did!

IP Logged

Shadow-Dragon15
Sidekick

Re: Hello!
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2015 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Hi, and welcome to the V&V forum.

Regarding your questions, I'd say there are several things which speak to V&V's longevity. The first is that it does a great job of simulating the action found in the comics that we all read and enjoy/ed back when the game first came out. While I have heard people critique V&V for not adequately handling "cosmic" level games (think Superman vs Galactus, I guess) it does a fantastic job dealing with most power levels from street level up to the Avengers.

Secondly, and related to the first point, the actual game mechanics work well (sure there are some that are a bit wonky but, IMHO Jeff and Jack got the main points down pat) and they give the game a signature feel. This was something that was very important back when I was playing rpg's regularly. Now many (most?) games seem to be variations on d20 rules. Maybe I stand alone on this but I think that's a shame.

Lastly, and for me most importantly, the fact that V&V is set up that the player plays themselves is a fantastic stroke of genius and one that, as a young player, was very attractive. I loved comics, loved reading a bout superheros, and now here was a game where I was going to be the hero! Sign me up!

Shadowdragon
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2015 at 6:03pm by Shadow-Dragon15 »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Welcome, Mook!

I think V&V simply captures the fun of superhero gaming in ways other games don't.

Welcome to the site!  Smiley

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Hi Mook and Welcome,

Shadowdragon hit it on the head:

1- The game structure is open and the GM has more control of the game than in many other gaming systems, especially those that were out in the early 80's when many of us got into V&V.

On a personal note for me, the rules specifically stating the GM is encouraged to change any rules or over-ride existing rules is a huge bonus.  Most groups have the rule wanker who wants to argue interpretations to allow him to do whatever hare-brained scheme he has dreamed up. I once played with a guy who actually would look for loopholes in the rules and devise strategies to exploit them.

No one likes that kind of player, so when the GM rules, that's it.

2- V&V does not handle cosmic characters well, that is true. But it is also no fun to play a cosmic character. To create a challenge, the GM has to ramp up the villains and it is simply a case of more is the same thing.  I personally thing V&V's lack in creating cosmic characters is no lack at all but a plus.

Cosmic heroes also do not promote role play and teamwork.  Cosmic villains, on the other hand...  Sometimes heroes are forced to do things they do not like to defeat a very powerful villain like breaking the Hero Code or (gasp!!!!) joining with their arch-enemy to achieve a common goal.

As GM, I can create anything I want (as long as I can reasonably explain it within the game) and I have never had a player complain.

IP Logged

>