Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Character Build Help: Dragon (Pet) Mount and Rider Hero (Read 1956 times)
Rifflo
Sidekick

Character Build Help: Dragon (Pet) Mount and Rider Hero
Mar 10th, 2016 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
I was looking for some advice/help in a Dragon Rider hero for V&V.

My thought s for the rider were Elven-like, using Magic, perhaps a retractable spear (like that spear in HellBoy2). More Agil and Chr. That is the easy part for me.

Maybe the rider would be more support for the Dragon who would be the "muscle"/Damage dealer? The rider would be more magic/HTH?

I am having more difficulty coming up an idea for the Dragon. My thoughts were that it would be a little bigger than a draft horse. Telepathic connection to rider (like Eragon). Actually, I love the connection and power share that the dragon had with Eragon. Maybe the dragon would have fire breath, scale armor, etc.

I am open to ideas!
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2016 at 2:32pm by Rifflo »  

Star Wars Reporter.Com FOUNDER
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Re: Character Build Help: Dragon (Pet) Mount and Rider Hero
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
First off, you must name the dragon Toonces (John knows why) and just go with the ol' claw claw bite technique!!

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
My first thought when you posted the idea was a Melnibonean.

If you do not want to go crazy with the Dragon Stats use the one listed in the back of the book.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Welcome to the site, Rifflo!

You could probably just go with a Pet, then stat the Dragon up as (possibly) even better than the hero.  One of my son's PCs had a pet Chimaera, and the other players constantly joked that it was Guthix (the pet) and his pet hero (Moonfang, the actual PC!)

Personally, I'd make the Dragon considerably tougher than the one in the back of the book, as just about all of those animals are too wimpy.  You'd want to (at the very least) give it Wings, and probably Armor and Natural Weaponry, plus probably Flame Powers (or whatever other breath weapon).

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Another good spot to look is the Dragonriders of Pern series.
There was much material about the telepathic link between rider and dragon, how the dragon's fire worked, why it evolved and the dragons also had teleporting powers.

Very in depth amount of coverage in support of the story.

IP Logged

Rifflo
Sidekick

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
These are all great ideas!

Can people give me examples of stats, etc? Smiley

IP Logged

Klystron
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Rifflo,

Attached (I Hope) is a pdf of the character sheet for a player in my current game.

The info is a little sparse right now because the player picked his basic premise and (foolishly) left his origin and backstory up to me. I have kept his character sheet mostly incomplete to keep him in the dark.

In a nutshell, he is a juvenile member of a species that is a dragon/human hybrid with the ability to shift between forms at will.  The portion of the sheet here is the dragon phase.

He thinks he is unique in the universe but I am already writing an adventure where the characters must investigate the sinkholes that have appeared in Siberia last year and they will find an entire civilization of these people.  It should make for great role-play as he is torn between loyalty to his team and desire to know more about himself and his culture.

Anyway, those are the stats as we worked them out for a juvenile of the species. I still have to figure out how his powers will increase as he gets older.

Hope this helps.

Melt.pdf ( 91 KB | 8 Downloads )

IP Logged

Rifflo
Sidekick

Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Rifflo,

Attached (I Hope) is a pdf of the character sheet for a player in my current game.

The info is a little sparse right now because the player picked his basic premise and (foolishly) left his origin and backstory up to me. I have kept his character sheet mostly incomplete to keep him in the dark.

In a nutshell, he is a juvenile member of a species that is a dragon/human hybrid with the ability to shift between forms at will.  The portion of the sheet here is the dragon phase.

He thinks he is unique in the universe but I am already writing an adventure where the characters must investigate the sinkholes that have appeared in Siberia last year and they will find an entire civilization of these people.  It should make for great role-play as he is torn between loyalty to his team and desire to know more about himself and his culture.

Anyway, those are the stats as we worked them out for a juvenile of the species. I still have to figure out how his powers will increase as he gets older.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your help! This gives me some great ideas!

IP Logged

Rifflo
Sidekick

Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 11th, 2016 at 12:45am:
Welcome to the site, Rifflo!

You could probably just go with a Pet, then stat the Dragon up as (possibly) even better than the hero.  One of my son's PCs had a pet Chimaera, and the other players constantly joked that it was Guthix (the pet) and his pet hero (Moonfang, the actual PC!)

Personally, I'd make the Dragon considerably tougher than the one in the back of the book, as just about all of those animals are too wimpy.  You'd want to (at the very least) give it Wings, and probably Armor and Natural Weaponry, plus probably Flame Powers (or whatever other breath weapon).

Thanks for the welcome!

I like the idea of making the Dragon the tougher character. I was thinking the rider would use magic but was mainly a healer/Reviv, etc.

The damage dealer/healer combo would make a nice team! Smiley

I had thought the rider would have "Mutant Power" which would be "Fey Origin". (seen this idea somewhere). It would include a few "Elven-like" abilities. Height. Agil, Chri. Int, etc?

I am not seeing the Charisma stat on the character sheet I downloaded. Has this stat been removed from the newest edition?

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Charisma is definitely still there.  The only version of the game it's not is the (coming some day) 3rd Edition (not out yet), in which it will be replaced by a new stat called Cool.

I have a current PC who has the ability to pull a pet from another dimension (she gets one randomly, from a selection of six).  Last adventure (see "The Sands of Time", though I renamed it "River of Time") she ended up getting her Dragon, which was too big to go with the other PCs into the pyramid where they battled the bad guys.

Here's the stats we came up with for the Dragon:

Dragon
Level: 4                  Sex: Female
Weight: 15,000            Basic Hits: 300

Size Change: Larger; permanent; Height Factor=3, Weight Factor=27; 20’ tall, 13’ tail, 17’ wingspan.
Wings: Agility+3; Flies up to 157 M.P.H.; PR=1/hour.
Armor: Type A; ADR=100; Weight x 3.
Flame Powers: Fiery breath; action as defense (PR=0), attacks at PR=2, Range=108”, Damage=2d12.
Natural Weaponry: +3 to hit, +6 to damage with all HTH attacks (claws, teeth, tail, wings, horns, frill, or crushing body).
Heightened Senses: Darkvision to 24”, excellent sight; Detect Hidden, Danger x2; Perception +5.

S 19                        Basic HTH Damage: 5d10
E 17                        Healing Rate: 120
A 10                        Accuracy: -
I 14                        Damage: -
F 20                        Perception: 19

Hit Points: 951                  Movement Rates: 138” ground, 690” flying
Power: 60                  Detect Hidden: 20%      Detect Danger: 28%

Fiery Breath – 15 / 2d12
Claws/Teeth/Tail/Wings/Horns/Frill/Body – 8 / 5d10+6

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Note that that last post was quite powerful for a single "Pet" power.  Keep in mind that its vast size often serves as a deterrent (like last time, where it just is too huge to go into many buildings) and it's the exact opposite of stealth.  And the massive power of this creature is balanced by the fact that she gets one of six pets at random (this being the most powerful; the one she got before this was a Dire Rat, the opposite end of the spectrum!).  She can only get one at a time, with a maximum of one per encounter and two per day, too.

Still, I throw it out there to help you have some basic stats for a dragon, even though you'll likely want something smaller and less powerful. Smiley

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
The only problem with a Dragon Pet is that it's heavy (other than big), and such weight is gonna make him almost invincible (expecially with armor too), but it's cool to add from time to time fantasy elements, and what's important is that your master approves it/can handle it.
I'd think about something like giving your elf character a defense malus for being mounted (because after all he's much more exposed to ranged atks, or if an enemy can reach him, even melee hits)

In my setting (and my comic concept) dragons are created by an alien God that ruled the earth as every other mythological creature, then driven off from earth during Arthurian age and will come back on earth from space sooner or later.

Since the media took over more and more aggressively the american lifestyle, people started to forget about us and our deeds, until we became legends, pure fantasy in their collective imagination...

IP Logged

Rifflo
Sidekick

Reply #12 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 15th, 2016 at 6:18pm:
Note that that last post was quite powerful for a single "Pet" power.  Keep in mind that its vast size often serves as a deterrent (like last time, where it just is too huge to go into many buildings) and it's the exact opposite of stealth.  And the massive power of this creature is balanced by the fact that she gets one of six pets at random (this being the most powerful; the one she got before this was a Dire Rat, the opposite end of the spectrum!).  She can only get one at a time, with a maximum of one per encounter and two per day, too.

Still, I throw it out there to help you have some basic stats for a dragon, even though you'll likely want something smaller and less powerful. Smiley

Love this! Great ideas!

IP Logged

>