Normal Topic Special Requirement as a Weakness (Read 831 times)
Klystron
Ex Member

Special Requirement as a Weakness
Mar 31st, 2016 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Ok, I'm trolling for ideas here. I've never really been too creative with a Special Requirement as a weakness. Typically, I'll use something that I think will enhance role play or guide how an NPC or PC  will operate. I'm looking for ideas that will spark a new villain.

The only one that stands out is the character from which I took my name on this forum. Klystron's major power involved manipulating microwave and radio frequency energy.  In game terms, it came out to be Power Blast and Heightened Senses (RADAR to Line of Sight) and Heightened Senses in the ability to "hear" radio or microwave communications and transmit in those frequencies as well.

To keep his powers functioning, he needs to be exposed to radio or microwave energy or his powers would fade fairly quickly, like a battery going flat. On the flip side, when exposed to radio or microwaves, he regains 5 PP/turn, which helps in a prolonged battle.

Of course, he has to keep the nature of his powers secret so as not to give an advantage to his enemies.  It happened once and involved using a butter knife to disable the safety switch on a kitchen microwave and sticking his head inside to regain his powers.

So, what creative uses or applications of a Special Requirement have you used?

IP Logged

Razor_Fangs
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Re: Special Requirement as a Weakness
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
One of my characters rolled both HP absorption and regeneration, since she rolled "special requirement" as a weakness i decided to step in and grant her regeneration only after the first successful hit (and thus absorption).
She doesn't have a very high accuracy score (and to absorb HPs she has to hit with HtH atks, which has not a high default success rate)

I know it's not exactly the most "creative" idea ever, but it works.

Since the media took over more and more aggressively the american lifestyle, people started to forget about us and our deeds, until we became legends, pure fantasy in their collective imagination...

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 2:13am
Print Post  
Razor_Fangs wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 12:48pm:
One of my characters rolled both HP absorption and regeneration, since she rolled "special requirement" as a weakness i decided to step in and grant her regeneration only after the first successful hit (and thus absorption).
She doesn't have a very high accuracy score (and to absorb HPs she has to hit with HtH atks, which has not a high default success rate)

I know it's not exactly the most "creative" idea ever, but it works.

One of our PCs had to hit his target (HTH) in order to absorb, and the player grew really frustrated when he missed all the time.  He shelved the character for a time, and only when he brought it back years later (and we reworked how the Absorption worked) did he become much stronger.  Ironically, the PC absorbed villains' powers and kept getting stronger and stronger, until he was just flat-out way too powerful (and the player decided to retire him, as he was nearly "broken").

Sorry, not much help with the OP, but your post reminded me of this.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
You've got the standards:

Must be able to immerse in "environment" every X hours
Must sacrifice "X" to dark gods
Must power ring by reciting the chant in front of the battery
Must take "X" supplement every X hours
Only works when in "environment"
Must be touching "X" to use power (could be earth, could be a twin)

IP Logged

>