Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) My Play Test Group (Read 3700 times)
Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

My Play Test Group
Oct 7th, 2016 at 1:30am
Print Post  
I recently decided that since I'm creating more RPG books, I need some new and current players to test out some of these new adventures and characters. So, I've asked for my church to support this endeavour as a new group. This means, they will help me advertise the group, provide space for us to play for free (if we want it), and generally support what we're doing. I got six people who were interested in the first 24 hours, and now I'm looking at whether I should run one group or two. Currently the number of players is floating around 7 which is a little big for one group but a little small for two.

Now, I think I'll lose a player or two because RPGs being what they are, some people might lose interest, personalities might not gel, and people change their minds. On the other hand, the church has committed to promote these new groups because they want to see them grow, and this includes adding them to bulletins, posters and adding videos on the web site about the different groups. So, its fair to think that new people might also join the group as we're discovered.

So... what I'm wondering is what you would do if you had a 2 minute video to promote an RPG group you wanted to start, and how you would explain what we do. I'm only an occasional public speaker so I'm interested to see if any of you have any pointers.

Thanks!

RAMBLE
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2016 at 1:39am by Ramble »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: My Play Test Group
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 3:58am
Print Post  
Great job doing this, Ramble, and brilliant to use the resources of your church in this way.  Play groups can be excellent ways of people connecting, so it's really a win-win.

I've taken the opportunity to use my church as the venue for our annual GuardianCon now for years, as it makes an excellent venue with lots of space, parking, even a kitchen and outdoor barbeque that we use.

If you do end up with 7, I think two groups (with 3-4 players each) would be almost ideal (my D&D group is 7 right now and when everybody is there it's too big).  You could even hold the occasional special event where they both join forces, potentially.

If I was going to do a 2-minute video, I'd keep it short and sweet and explain that there are many misconceptions about RPGs.  Of course, nowadays many people know what they are, even if they've mostly seen them in video games.  But for those not familiar, I'd explain that Monopoly is really close to an RPG, where each of the players is 'playing' a business person acquiring, trading, and mortgaging properties. 

I'd explain that they're (a) a ton of fun, that (b) you can come have fun whether you want to really ham it up (like a theater actor), but that it's also totally cool to just come hang out (that one won't be forced to 'act' if they don't want to), (c) the game will be an amazing way to meet and connect with other people (very similar to many 'small groups' that many churches have, and that (d) it's totally cool to just come watch and see what they're like.

I'd also take advantage of the popularity that the current rage of superhero movies have on our popular culture right now.  I might start out the video by saying something along the lines of "Have you ever wondered what it might be like to BE one of the Avengers?", or "or considered what it might be like to be a superhero like Batman or Wonder Woman?" and from there launch into a broad overview of your game.

Best of luck with this!  I think you'll do well, and I hope it will grow into a very successful endeavor!  Cool

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 1:09am
Print Post  
Holy Crap, Majestic!

Way to pack in a full response to my question! I'll start at the top and break it into a few sections...

Was it brilliant? I hope so! I guess time will tell, but yes, from my perspective it really is a win-win for me (I get my newest books play tested), the players (who get to play the newest games and I'm adding their names and exploits into the book as a permanent record), my readers (who get better books) and the church (who gets to support another kind of fellowship and promote their ability to embrace different ideas).

So that's a win-win-win-win? Maybe I'm going to far, but the point is that this is an opportunity to support different groups by just trying something a little different...

<More Responses to come>

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 2:07am
Print Post  
More responses to Majestic, who said:

"I've taken the opportunity to use my church as the venue for our annual GuardianCon now for years, as it makes an excellent venue with lots of space, parking, even a kitchen and outdoor barbeque that we use."

RAMBLE: Our church can provide similar amenities, so in theory we can do similar events. How many people do you have at your Guardiancons?

"If you do end up with 7, I think two groups (with 3-4 players each) would be almost ideal (my D&D group is 7 right now and when everybody is there it's too big).  You could even hold the occasional special event where they both join forces, potentially."

RAMBLE - I was hoping for 4 to six in each, but I guess there's nothing stopping me from having a team of 3 and another of four. I also find 7 is too much because it's just too easy to get bored if the GM has to focus on a few players. Another problem is that trying to find a common time for 7 people is pretty difficult at the best of times.

<More responses to come>

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Responding once more to Majestic, when he said:

"If I was going to do a 2-minute video, I'd keep it short and sweet and explain that there are many misconceptions about RPGs.  Of course, nowadays many people know what they are, even if they've mostly seen them in video games.  But for those not familiar, I'd explain that Monopoly is really close to an RPG, where each of the players is 'playing' a business person acquiring, trading, and mortgaging properties." 

RAMBLE - Good suggestions! I'll need a mini-script, I think, to keep the umms and ahhs to a minimum.

"I'd explain that they're (a) a ton of fun, that (b) you can come have fun whether you want to really ham it up (like a theater actor), but that it's also totally cool to just come hang out (that one won't be forced to 'act' if they don't want to), (c) the game will be an amazing way to meet and connect with other people (very similar to many 'small groups' that many churches have, and that (d) it's totally cool to just come watch and see what they're like."

RAMBLE - Again, these are all good points to make.

"I'd also take advantage of the popularity that the current rage of superhero movies have on our popular culture right now.  I might start out the video by saying something along the lines of "Have you ever wondered what it might be like to BE one of the Avengers?", or "or considered what it might be like to be a superhero like Batman or Wonder Woman?" and from there launch into a broad overview of your game."

RAMBLE - Yeah, between Comics, TV shows, movies and the marketing machines supporting these products... I'm guessing most people will be familiar.

"Best of luck with this!  I think you'll do well, and I hope it will grow into a very successful endeavor!"

Thanks Majestic! I'm getting alot of support, so yeah, I expect it will all come together.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 3:04am
Print Post  
For GuardianCon, we usually get about 15-20 people, most of them the same ones each year.  One guy comes up from CA (to WA) every year, and another has made most of them from Eastern WA (so still a 5 hour drive or so).

One fellow has come from Sweden (twice), and Justice (from here) has made it two or three times (from Chicagoland).  Another guy who used to be active on some of the V&V forums came from Toronto, too.  And there's been plenty of people from Portland (which is only about 3 hours away).

But mostly it's from people in the Pacific NW.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 12:02am
Print Post  
We are in the midst of building characters and beginning the campaign.

We have 6 players (one recently suffered a concussion and decided to bow out for the time being), so I'm just doing one group.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Ramble wrote on Nov 7th, 2016 at 12:02am:
We have 6 players (one recently suffered a concussion and decided to bow out for the time being), so I'm just doing one group.

RAMBLE

Sounds like your group does things more like LARPing, if your players are ending up with head trauma as a result!  Shocked

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Hmm... no LARPing... or at least not in my game. The lady in question was in an accident and has been recovering for a few months.

Smiley

Once the players have truly settled on their characters, I'll do more of a formal introduction. I'm playing around with character generation a bit, so this part has really got my players to thinking about what they want and what they can live without. Also, since the mini-campaign is set in WWII, they are looking at history quite a bit.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Ouch!  Hopefully she recovers fully.  The more they're learning about them, the more it seems they need to consider them seriously.

Group consideration is usually a good thing when collectively building characters.  Neat that everyone is looking at history, too.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Entry in my church's 2016 Annual Report:

Playtest RPG Group

The Playtest Group was promoted in October, and began in November. We currently have six players – five adults and a teen. We meet at <Church> once or twice a month on Saturdays. We are play testing a recently published book of Villains and Vigilantes (V&V) adventures (Homefront) in order to help the team to gel as a group and get some experience with the playing V&V. The Game Master/Organizer is Darren Tenor and the current characters (players) are: Bolt Storm (Will), Chimera (Katharine), Cobalt Blue (Belinda), Paladin (Max), and two other players (Chris and Graham) who are still working on their code names. 

This group meets and plays roleplaying games (RPGs) where the player are typically the “stars” of the story, and the Game Master controls all the antagonists, supporting characters, weather, animals and other forces of nature. Games can be set in many genres like superheroes, fantasy, science fiction, mysteries, espionage, literary horror, cartoon/slapstick, etc. This group can also playtest new games and products being developed for publication (as a reward for play testing, players would be mentioned in the final published product and may be eligible for other awards). Players should be mature teens or adults with good imaginations and the ability to problem solve.

Editor’s Note:
Darren has published several gaming books for Fantasy Games Unlimited and is in the process of publishing a variety of other books for additional gaming companies.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #11 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Nice to see you and your group get a mention.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 5:24am
Print Post  
Episode 1: Six to Midnight
Date: April 4, 1941

At the request of the mysterious group known only as The Company, six unique individuals gathered at a Mount Royal mansion to hear a request from a Company representative. The six were:

Bolt Storm - A Japanese / Cuban with mighty electrical powers.
Chimera - A mysterious martial artist and acrobatic with telekinetic powers 
Cobalt Fire - An Englishwoman who can cause her beautiful body to grow or shrink in size with a strange bionic energy weapon in her left eye.
Dusky - A New Zealander with a genius mind, mental powers and ability to bend space/time in order to fly and teleport.
Jack Pot - A chronic alcoholic and gambler who possesses magical dice that allow him to change the appearance of his body and some of his super powers every few days.
Paladin - A priest/soldier who came back from the battlefield only after he discovered that he had odd powers and mystic objects that made him an incredible marksman and gave him the ability to slip between worlds.

The people these heroes met were three local politicians and a representative of the Company. They are:

Alderman Henry Cartier - A gluttonous womanizer, Cartier is a power broker who always knows the right strings to pull and people to call. Dangerous but effective.

Alderman Conrad Eastman - A strange politician, Eastman seems to be more comfortable around facts and figures than flesh and blood. Despite this, he found the money to make this odd program possible.

Alderman Rudolph Strand - Somewhat new to the politics of Calgary, Strand has a strong backing from the public and local businesses. Forced to be the liaison between Calgary and The Company, he has more invested into the project than the other aldermen... and some have said it would be a shame to see him fall on his face.

Megan Montgomery- This intense and capable representative of The Company to The team and Calgary knows more secrets than you can shake a stick at... but the question remains - just who is this woman directing the team, and can she be trusted?

And why are they here? The aldermen of Calgary have hired The Company to manage and maintain a team of super humans to protect the City in the coming years.

RAMBLE

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2017 at 11:32pm by Ramble »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 8:15am
Print Post  
That's a pretty interesting and diverse group.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #14 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Agreed.  Some really cool and creative powers, too!

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #15 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 3:21am
Print Post  
Episode 2: Dawn of the Devastator
Date: April 4, 1941

Following an informal meeting and greet at the Mansion, the members enjoyed a meal of sandwiches, drinks, and deserts as the Aldermen went over the contract. With Miss Montgomery still in route, Alderman Strand explained the offer, and fielded questions such as...

Cobalt Fire: "Why the hell do you need us in a hick town like Calgary?"
Strand: The Company has a precognitive in their employ, and they believe that Calgary will be important, and as members of the City Council, we are will to provide The Company with funds to organize and direct your team.

Paladin: "Will we get paid?"
Eastman: Of course. Here are your contracts...

Bolt Storm: "Are we members of the police force?"
Cartier: "No, but you are working with the police to enforce the law and halt threats they can't handle. Keep your nose clean, son."

After contracts were signed, Bolt Storm and Cobalt Fire were shown to their rooms to sleep off their jet lag. The police commissioner then arrived to meet the team, only to be interrupted by one of his own men - The Central Library had been attacked by a flying robot!

Chimera, Dusky, Paladin and a drunk Jack Pot slipped into The Company's limo and drove to the library to question the head librarian and staff about the robot that had crashed in through a sky light and demanded the return of the microbot and where their co-worker, Professor Harper, was. When they couldn't provide it with the "microbot" or their co-worker (who had come down with a case of the sniffles and had gone home early), the robot ransacked Harpers office and flew off.

Gathering clues, the team managed to get to Harper's house just seconds before the robot, and then teleported Harper, his robot prototype and themselves back to the library and out of the robot's clutches. Questioning Harper, he claimed to have no knowledge of a "microbot" other than an article he read about a japanese wartime program on the subject. With Harper and his prototype ("Rusty") safely stored at the library, they returned to Harper's house only to find the robot attacker gone and nearby construction workers kidnapped by the robot. Following a trail of work boots and objects dropped by the construction workers (and various sightings from other Calgarians), they soon found the robot hiding in a junkyard. After Dusky teleported the injured construction workers, the team attacked as a group to overwhelm the robot, who called itself Devastator-17.

The battle was memorable. Jackpot had copied Dusky's flight powers but due to a drunken miscalculation on his part, flew into a bush on the opening attack, effectively taking himself out of the battle. Paladin used his pocket dimension to get close enough to pepper it with bullets and then escape before the Devastator-17 could effectively use it's fists or laser on him. Chimera hid and used her telekinesis to slam Devastator-17 with telekinetically flung debris, while Dusky used his mental blasts to no great effect.

The team rallied as Paladin focused on a few well placed shots, and Chimera toppled a stack of cars on Devastator-17. When the robot launched a mini-missile at the flying Dusky, Dusky placed a tele-portal between himself and the robot with the other side of the portal facing the Devastator-17. The mini-missile entered the portal and promptly hit the robot. Devastator-17 was confused by what had happened and launched a volley of 4 missiles at Dusky who just repeated the same trick again, promptly destroying Devastator-17 when the missiles triggered the rest of it's ammunition. BOOM!

Searching the scattered bits for clues... they found a piece of the robot that said it was "MADE IN NEW BERLIN", a small part that had the United States flag on it, but the stars had been replaced with Swatikas, and what appeared to be a sophisticated memory drive. They pocketed these items just as the police arrived and took a statement. As the police began sweeping up the Devastator debris as evidence, the press arrived. Only Jackpot was there to greet them with a "Hi! I'm Jackpot!" before Paladin opened his pocket dimension and pulled him into where he was hiding. Watching the press and police go about their business with his dimensional periscope, they waited until the press had departed before returning to the scene of the crime and heading back to the library to go over the found objects with Harper. Not getting anything other than interested nerd-babble from Harper, they went back to the mansion for a well deserved rest.

RAMBLE
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2017 at 2:41am by Ramble »  

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #16 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 3:48am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 6th, 2017 at 8:15am:
That's a pretty interesting and diverse group.

Hey Dom!

Glad you like the team. This is a playtest group after all, so I didn't discourage the players from going broad and bold  in terms of their look/feel. Also, four of five players had never played V&V before, so they aren't trying to relive the 80's or be a new version of the Crusaders, for example. The way we approached EVERYTHING was a bit different than what you would see from V&V, version 1 or 2.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #17 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 3:59am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 7th, 2017 at 2:57pm:
Agreed.  Some really cool and creative powers, too!

Thank you, Majestic.
Since the character creation method was completely different, the characters we produced are just naturally different as well. This meant that it did take longer to build the characters, but I'm happy with the result and I expect shortcuts will develop and speed will increase with practice and familiarity.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
So is Strand somebody that will later have a city named after him in your campaign?  Or his descendants?

I found your comments (to Dom) interesting.  Despite V&V's origin in the 80s, I can't honestly recall any of my players (some of which were born after the 80s) ever going for that 80s feel.  And I'd be shocked if any of my players could even name one of the Crusaders.  Of course, that could be quite different with others.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #19 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Another awesome summary, Ramble!  I really like Jack Pot (was he at least a little bit inspired by Hancock?)

So do you use counters for your games?  Minis?  Or just go with more a "theater of the mind"?

Dusky's use of her portals (what I would call a Power Stunt) was quite clever!  Do you have your own house rule for stunts like these?  Or did you do more of an improvisation as GM?

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #20 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 2:49am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 10th, 2017 at 2:59pm:
So is Strand somebody that will later have a city named after him in your campaign?  Or his descendants?

I found your comments (to Dom) interesting.  Despite V&V's origin in the 80s, I can't honestly recall any of my players (some of which were born after the 80s) ever going for that 80s feel.  And I'd be shocked if any of my players could even name one of the Crusaders.  Of course, that could be quite different with others.

Well, Majestic... I'm not going to answer your first question yet. Let's just say... someone has a plan. Smiley

As for the 80's / Crusaders feel... what I'm trying to say is that these are really not your typical V&V characters or players... whatever that means. Smiley Many of the core rules that I grew up with have been altered a bit and so these players are literally experimenting with new ideas that I'm hoping to release upon the game. Dusky, Paladin, Chimera... probably can't be made using either of the two V&V rules books. And since the 3rd edition hasn't come out yet, it's not from those rules either.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #21 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 3:19am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 10th, 2017 at 3:06pm:
Another awesome summary, Ramble!  I really like Jack Pot (was he at least a little bit inspired by Hancock?)

So do you use counters for your games?  Minis?  Or just go with more a "theater of the mind"?

Dusky's use of her portals (what I would call a Power Stunt) was quite clever!  Do you have your own house rule for stunts like these?  Or did you do more of an improvisation as GM?

Thank you for compliment. No, Jackpot isn't inspired by Hancock (I haven't managed to catch that movie). Since I publicly advertised this group through a church, I set up Jackpot in advance as an NPC that any guest who just heard about what we were doing and was interested in trying out a PC for a session could simply show up and play the character with a minimum of fuss. When there are no guests, he's just another NPC hero trying to make it in the world. Since he's the character that a newbie could just walk off the street and play, I knew I wanted him to be the character equivalent of cocaine. One play and you're hooked. For that reason, Jackpot is quite memorable.

The first session was totally theatre of the mind. In the second session, I used counters from HOME FRONT. I use crystal castle mat / Megamat for a background, but I've started bringing a large pad of 1" square grid paper as an alternate option or for when I want to build a quickie structure - I did this for an upcoming vehicle that appears in Sessions 4-8. I didn't want to keep a mini-map on one of my mats for a month or so, so building a reusable paper mini-map just made sense.

Regarding the "power stunt", the first session it was completely improv because I didn't see it coming. Since then, I have a much better sense of the player, and with it, I've altered the way I judge teleportation. I'm extremely happy with this because I want the players to challenge the rules, and they're doing that in spades.

RAMBLE

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2017 at 3:51am by Ramble »  

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #22 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:43am
Print Post  
Episode 3: Into the Fire
Date: April 5, 1941

After a good night sleep in the rooms provided to them at the Mansion, Chimera, Dusky, Jackpot, and Paladin gradually awoke and went about their usual routine. Enjoying a hearty breakfast, the operatives talked among themselves and discovered a bit more about each other. (Bolt Storm and Cobalt Fire had left the mansion an hour earlier to go shopping.)

These details include:

Chimera - Hasn't settled on a costume, which is part of the reason she keeps a low profile during their exploits.

Dusky - Is from New Zealand and has a background as an oceanographer, and takes his name from the dolphins he worked with.

Jackpot - Transformed from the tall negro they worked with yesterday into a slightly balding and overweight white man. He went on to say that he changes his appearance every time he changes powers.
- Jackpot is a bit of an alcoholic and a professional gambler.
- Jackpot has a criminal background, but the frequent transformations have given him a new freedom he enjoys.

Paladin - Noted that the stigmata that appears on his flesh when travels to his dimensional pocket isn't under his control, and he's possesses a protective symbiotic suit.

During the discussion... Dusky felt odd, and noticed that a dog was staring at him from where it sat in the yard of the mansion. The hound was white with dark black eyes and large paws. By the time he got the attention of the others, the dog was gone. When Paladin went outside to check for the dog, he saw not only that there were no tracks for the animal, but he also noticed that the glass windows of the mansion were darker than the April morning, which meant that the dog couldn't have seen Dusky through the window - he would only have seen a reflection of the yard it was in.

It was then that Megan Montgomery, The Company's liaison, arrived. While she gave her luggage to Spencer (the butler) and made brief introductions, she reported that she'd heard about the fight with Devastator-17 (it had made the front page of The Calgary Herald), and want to hear their version of their exploits. They told her, and showed her the strange pieces they'd recovered from the demolished robot. She committed to sending these items to The Company team that was working on other fragments from other Devastator robots that had been encountered. This was interrupted by a phone call - the police reported that a four alarm fire had broken out in the heart of downtown Calgary!   

Taking the limo with Miss Montgomery, they sped down the streets (Dusky thought he caught a glimpse of the same white dog staring at him on a street corner), as a slightly tipsy Jackpot distracted the others as he started testing out his new powers - snapping his fingers to create static electricity bursts... and were those gills on his neck?

Pulling up to the fire, the heroes tried to get fire fighting equipment, but they were immediately ordered back behind the security line by police and firefighters. Undeterred, they went down a side alley as Dusky took to the air, and he saw from above that the six storey building has the top four floors on fire, with thirty people scattered about the roof among fires and pillars of smoke, searching for a way out. Far below the ladder trucks were unable to reach the top, leaving these people in jeopardy.

Dusky created a portal from the alley to the roof. When Chimera, Paladin and Jackpot got onto the roof they tried herding people, but the people were terrified or injured, and wouldn't listen. Paladin began going to the wounded and bodily pulling them into his pocket dimension and safety. Jackpot used his strength to carry a few through a new portal that Dusky had made, while Chimera searched out the strays, and using her telekinesis to give people a move in the right direction.

Meanwhile, across the roof, but divided by smoke and flames, was Paragon, a local hero trusted by various Calgarians for his truth and defence of the law. He jumped onto the roof using his super-strength and ordered another group of frightened people towards the damage fire escape that he pulled free of the building and was using as a bridge to vault over the space while he carried them. Even his strength was no enough to make the jump cleanly, as he was forced to smash through a window one story below the opposite roof. CRASH!

As Paladin pulled ten people into his pocket dimension, the exhausted hero stumbled through Dusky's portal behind Jackpot, as the building groaned. Chimera reached out with her telekinesis and grabbed a woman who was fleeing in the wrong direction and threw her into the portal just as the entire roof collapsed. Chimera summoned her power and rose slowly into the sky even as the building collapsed below her in plumes of smoke and fire.

Paladin weakly pulled the people he'd saved from his pocket dimension, and deposited them in the alley, as the last woman pulled herself up from where she landed on Jackpot. While the heroes were dusting themselves off, thankful people from the roof pulled Paladin and Jackpot forward, in the midst of a new media scrum with Paragon, and together Jackpot, Paladin and Paragon shook hands, smiled for the camera, and were cheered by the people. Far above, Dusky and Chimera smiled. Everyone eventually made it to the limo, where Megan congratulated them, and they returned to the mansion in high spirits... only Chimera noticed a strange white hound watching as they sped down the street, but when she looked at it through the back window, it was gone.

RAMBLE
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:54am by Ramble »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #23 - Mar 13th, 2017 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Another great write-up!  I think it's always fun to do something heroic like this, rather than always fighting supervillains.

And it's totally appropriate for low-level heroes to be brushed off by police and fire in an emergency.  Nobody knows who these heroes are until they really show their mettle.  All the cooler when they pull heroics off and get that well-deserved praise, too.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #24 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Mr. Majestic!

Yeah, this episode was about introducing the hound, Paragon, Megan Montgomery and even the players themselves to one another and really getting them used to their powers and personalities. Also, the fire is the kind of enemy that doesn't take much for the players to invest in because they understand the risk and situation almost immediately. And since saving lives ought to be their bread and butter, it's an opportunity for me to help get into the spirit of helping people and being a force for good.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

>