Normal Topic "Escape From The Microverse" Review (Read 460 times)
dan2448
Teen Titan

"Escape From The Microverse" Review
Mar 5th, 2017 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Spurred by the "GM's Day" Sale on DriveThruRPG.com, this morning I bought and read the PDF of the V&V adventure "Escape From The Microverse."

This adventure was the first 'modern,' new V&V adventure published by FGU that I have personally purchased. (I did buy "Into the Sub-Realm" last year, but don't really count that one, since it was apparently completed in the mid-1980s.)

I was very favorably impressed.

To start, I really liked how the structure, font, design, cartography, narrative structure, and artwork all successfully captured the "look and feel" of the 1980s V&V adventures published by FGU.  I am sure that took a lot of work to capture that so well, and it showed.  I also noted favorably that the interior artwork was also, while in a reminiscent style, a cut above the interior art of some of the classic V&V adventures I own.)

In that same vein, I appreciated that the text began with a set-up also written in the 'classic' style: there's a physicists' convention being held in the PC's (generic, unspecified) home town.  No hint of a specific V&V 'universe' setting, or of a real-world city setting.  I remembered this fondly from some of the 1980s V&V modules, because my family lived at the time in a not-very-big, somewhat distant suburb of a much larger city. So imagining all these wild, super hero things happening in my little suburban town always cracked me up as a teenager.

I loved the "Micronauts" as a kid. So the whole topic of this adventure would've really appealed to me as a kid,and still did now as a 40-something family man.  I liked how the adventure set up a (theoretically) ongoing mechanism for a V&V campaign to go back to this Microverse in the future, if they'd want.

Probably because I loved "Micronauts" so much as a kid, both the toys and the Marvel comic book,  I found myself wishing that some of the characters and situations in this adventure were closer to the Micronauts world. But to the creators' credit, they created their own original characters.  I also would've loved some rules covering how to handle 'little micronauts' coming to our, 'big' world.  Maybe that'll be in a sequel?

In conclusion, the GM's Day sale is running for another week, and I wonder if anyone here might recommend to me another, particularly excellent 'new,' and 'modern' V&V adventure published in the last 7-8 years? (I plan to buy the WW2-themed ones when they are complied in print in a Giant.  So I suppose I am asking for suggestions other than those.)

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2017 at 4:45pm by dan2448 »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: "Escape From The Microverse" Review
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 8:09am
Print Post  
First off, I'm glad you decided to give some of the newer stuff a try, and "Escape From The Microverse." was a good choice, as it's a fun little adventure. (I'd love to see a sequel, hint, hint Wink). As far as new adventures go, I say take a look at what's available, and see what catches your eye. If I'm allowed to toot my own horn, I've got one out there called Rising Sun - http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/143609/Villains-and-VigilantesRising-Sun

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

>