Normal Topic Justice League - Snyder Cut (spoilers) (Read 313 times)
Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Justice League - Snyder Cut (spoilers)
Mar 19th, 2021 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
So...  Four hours?  Ok, that's going to take multiple sessions to watch.

My initial impression is that the tone is (obviously) much darker and the melodrama is out of control.

1) I don't like the removal of the line "I heard you talk to fish" and then the later line where Bruce Wayne corrects Arthur Curry for misquoting.  I  mentioned this on another forum and some person got on and posted that he was glad the "stupid" humor was taken out.  I just referred him to the many Spider-Man comic books and the Justice League/Justice League Europe of the early 90s.

2) I don't like the body count in the Wonder Woman intro where she casually kills the terrorists.  There was a time in comics where life was assumed to be a precious thing.

3) I don't like the change of the dialogue from "I don't believe it.  What are you?"  "I'm a believer." to "I don't believe it."  "Believe it."  That reminded me of the time Storm said "Know what happens when lightning strikes a frog?  Same as everything else."  Ugh!  The first dialogue was much more witty and inspiring.  Changing this dialogue actually goes along with the higher body count, though, because a "believer" would probably have caught the terrorists without killing them.

4) Ok, Cyborg Sr studies alien tech (xenoscience.)  But that still doesn't explain the fact that there's an opened and empty box of alien tech at the crime scene where aliens were sighted.  "Misplaced" just isn't going to cut it.

5) Diana would break her heels doing a "hero landing" inside a deep cavern.  And why didn't she visit the crime scene (arson) as Wonder Woman?  It's not like they would have tried to prevent her.  "I'm sorry Wonder Woman.  We're not going to let an Amazon investigate the arson of an Amazonian site.  Move along."

These are just initial impressions.  Maybe it will get better?  Nah...  Probably not.  People have been complaining about the comic industry sucking for years and I suppose it was inevitable that comic-book movies would follow suit.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Justice League - Snyder Cut (spoilers)
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 11:58am
Print Post  
I watched it all in one sitting, and thought it was a VAST improvement over the original 'Whedon cut'. 

There were things I didn't like, but overall it was a great movie!  Cool

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Watched it in two sittings and thought it was great. The sappy emotional shit should have been cut down a lot but overall it was a huge improvement. On point #2 above, I thought that opening scene with WW was so much better.  I get it about killing bad guys, but given the context, it was necessary.  Even in the first WW movie they killed a bunch of nazis on the beach so yeah.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Yeah, these generally seem to be the consensus.  I've heard that WB isn't adding the Snyder cut as canon in the DCEU.  Is this true?  It seems pretty strange that they would do this considering how much they've invested in it.

Also...

6) Given the fact that Boom Tubes were being casually used in the movie, Cyborg's origin was so lame.  They could have easily adapted his origin from the comics into something a lot less mundane.

IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2021 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Strictly for myself, I had absolutely zero problem with Man of Steel (saw it three times) and Dawn of Justice (four).  As a comparison, I saw Superman Returns once, and will live just as long and die just as happy if I never encounter it again.

That stated, I have no cable connections or Internet hookups that would allow me to see Justice League in its current state - however, I am damn well going to be picking up that 'Steelbox' version that is slated for release on May 27.

Part of the reason I have such an (unseen) positive opinion of Zack Snyder's version is both from my expectation that the quality of the man's previous work would be continued - and in fact expanded - in this version, and outside sources' confirmation (such as this site, and the cast's own Thank GOD reaction this finally getting out, and the incisive Wisecrack online review which I had the opportunity to see yesterday).  The frankly ugh 2017 release was something that I went to eagerly, tolerated while watching (once), and picked up the DVD mostly out of the sense of wanting to 'complete the set'...and I've never been able to watch it through to the ending; can't honestly remember the last time I even tried.

I have only cursory interest in the inter-studio politics behind these sort of situations (Warner wanted this version destroyed, AT&T were the ones who green-lighted it; that's about as much as I want or need to know), but getting word from individuals such as Ray "Cyborg" Fisher that the 2017 iteration was a misery to be involved in, and that Snyder's work is something he is enormously proud to be a part of, is enough to convince me that Zack Snyder's crafting is something I definitely want to have as part of the collection.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2021 at 2:06am by Tempest »  

IP Logged

>