Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Comics that convert easily to V&V (Read 13202 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Comics that convert easily to V&V
Reply #70 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
PulpCitizen wrote on Oct 7th, 2010 at 3:43am:
dsumner wrote on Oct 5th, 2010 at 5:36pm:
John wrote on Oct 5th, 2010 at 5:30pm:
Anyone suggest Spider Girl?   It fits in perfect with the Crusader mod.

I'm not sure if they did or not. While I'm thinking about it, several of the M2 characters would work well in V&V. 

Just look upwards 6 posts...  Wink

I can't  Ive been hit with a spell; Powerword LAZY! Wink

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #71 - Oct 9th, 2010 at 5:54am
Print Post  
I know that one!  Grin

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #72 - Oct 9th, 2010 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Noble Causes would have been a great V&V campaign.  As well as agreat read.  And the last page of each comic Jay Farber would have an article called, "Under the Influence".  This article would talk about the things that influenced him. Things like comics, books, and tv shows.   
  One of the articles was an excellent discusion of the Elementals!

Its a comic series I highly recomend.

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #73 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
2 comic book universes that I think *could* work:
- Savage Dragon et al
- Project Superpowers

And although not a comic book universe, the Sentinels series of novels is being translated into a M&M supplement, so why not a V&V supplement?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #74 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
PC, IIRC, you're over in the UK, which British comics do you think would work well in a V&V?

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #75 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Oct 18th, 2010 at 1:05pm:
PC, IIRC, you're over in the UK, which British comics do you think would work well in a V&V? 

We don't really do 'superhero' comics on the whole in the UK, but the overwhelming array of non-super stuff aside, my favourite choice would be Zenith. There may be some power scaling issues, but this early Grant Morrison work is fertile ground, especially as later books in the saga incorporated a ton of old British superheroes from the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Of more modern stuff, Jack Staff (currently published by Image) could work really well - it has quite a growing cast of fairly low to mid-powered types.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2010 at 3:57pm by PulpCitizen »  

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #76 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
I think that Marvel's New Universe characters would convert pretty easily to V&V.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #77 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 4:21am
Print Post  
Bumping this up, as we've got some new members, and I'd like to hear there opinions.

YIM  
IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins! />

Reply #78 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 9:26am
Print Post  
I can't believe no one has mentioned The Justice Machine! Their power levels are perfect for V&V!

Info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_Machine

Alongside The Elementals and Hero Alliance, one of my all time favorite indie comic hero teams. And they should be coming back soon, thanks to Moonstone comics. I bought the sourcebook for Heros Unlimited, and I don't even own the rules for that game!

Also the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents (yes, I know a supplement was supposed to come, but never did).

Others: Brigade (the lineup from the first limited series, when they went into space), The Southern Knights, Strikeforce Morituri, the early run of Suicide Squad (before they went to Apokolips). Many all ready mentioned I'd second, third, fourth, etc. I'm sure there are more I'd suggest, but I just got done working 9 hours, so my brain is tired  Cheesy

IP Logged

proditorcappela
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #79 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 9:44am
Print Post  
How about the Archie Comics/Impact lineup?

Most of them don't have really difficult to scale powers iirc.
(The one issue I had converting heroes like Spider-Man and Sasquatch, is with high agility, str, and end, they were hit point dynamo high output wrecking machines)

American Crusaders (Original Shield, Captain Commando, Firefly, Doc Strong, and Black Witch) [50s superhero team]
American Shield
Black Hoods
Black Jack
Black Witch
Bob Phantom
Captain Commando
Comet
Crusaders (Shield, Fly, Comet, Jaguar, Fireball, and The Web)
Doc Strong
Dusty (sidekick of Original Shield)
Fireball
Firefly
The Fly
Fox
Hangman
Jaguar
Original Shield
Shield
Shield
Shield Kid
Steel Sterling
The Web (now a group)

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #80 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Good Call!

IP Logged

Mach Hammer
Sidekick

The Hammer is Back!

Reply #81 - Oct 4th, 2011 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Gerry wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 9:26am:
Also the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents (yes, I know a supplement was supposed to come, but never did).

AK, any chance this will ever see the light of day?

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #82 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 3:42am
Print Post  
I seriously doubt it. That was decades ago, and the original license for the book has likely lapsed

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #83 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Mach Hammer wrote on Oct 4th, 2011 at 10:34pm:
Gerry wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 9:26am:

AK, any chance this will ever see the light of day?

DC Comics now holds the publish rights for THUNDER Agents, so I doubt it's going to give them up.

YIM  
IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #84 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
proditorcappela wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 9:44am:
How about the Archie Comics/Impact lineup?...

I may try some write-ups for those. I am working up some DC-Red Circle heroes at the moment, so after that may follow with the !mpact iterations. Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2011 at 3:34pm by PulpCitizen »  

IP Logged

proditorcappela
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #85 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
I've been considering whipping out some "homage" characters with the serial numbers lightly buffed away.  I've always really dug The Shield.  Then again, I'm generally a sucker for a flag suit.

From left to right on one of my book shelves I have the following Marvel figs: Guardian, Captain Britain (Red uniform), Captain Britain (Alan Davis reboot), Captain Britain (Excalibur v1), Captain Britain (Cap Britain and MI13), Union Jack, Captain America (WW2), Captain America (Modern), Captain America (Bucky), and Red Shield.
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2011 at 10:38pm by proditorcappela »  

IP Logged

PulpCitizen
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Reply #86 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 6:58am
Print Post  
Red Shield? Not one I am familiar with.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #87 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
You sound like a fan of Captains, proditor!   Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #88 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Any country in particular?

YIM  
IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #89 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
off suggested topic/

I was watching the Incredibles (Pixar) last night and would love to see that sourcebook....

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #90 - Nov 5th, 2011 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
AlabasterKnight wrote on Nov 4th, 2011 at 8:28pm:
off suggested topic/

I was watching the Incredibles (Pixar) last night and would love to see that sourcebook....

Funny that you mention that.  I just saw the DVD on the shelf last night and thought to myself that I need to watch it again (it's been years).

An interesting anecdote about The Incredibles: on the radio a few days ago they were talking about a list of the most desired super powers.  As they did each one (Flight, Super Strength, Invisibility, etc.) they talked about the most iconic superhero character identified with that power.  When they came to Super Speed the most identified super was Dash (from the Incredibles), rather than Flash, Quicksilver, etc.

IP Logged

proditorcappela
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #91 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Sorry, zoned out for a while there...Red Shield is now..Iron or Steel Guardian I think?  Basically the Russian Captain America.

As to favorite country, not really.  On City of Heroes, 3 friends and I made "The League of Many Nations" which had heroes from as many different countries as we could come up with, and in non-traditional/stereotype roles.

So like, the Martial Artist was French, named "Gant Argent" or Silver Glove, and was a Master of Savate.

I tend to have a weakness for the Union Jack though, as I've made Union Jack custom clix, and when I wrote an article for Digital Hero back in the day, I had to make Britannic, the first British flag suit, with a Union jack cape/mask.  Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2011 at 9:37pm by proditorcappela »  

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #92 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Actually, his name is Red Guardian. There was one Red Guardian who changed his name, but he died. The current Red Guardian is the former Vanguard, who lost his hammer & Sickle during the last mini-series featuring the Russian heroes in it (Darkstar & The Winter Guard)

IP Logged

proditorcappela
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #93 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Yup, my bad, Red Guardian.  But the one I have is not the ex-Vanguard, but the ex-Red Guardian who became Steel Guardian when he joined the Winter Guard. (He was the 4th Red Guardian...out of 7.  Not a job with a lot of longevity)

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Reply #94 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 1:42am
Print Post  
He might have been the 5th, as there was a Golden Age Red Guardian who shows up in a flashback issue of Captain America (iirc). Anyway, Steel Guardian died in Limbo at the hands of the Dire Wraiths. There was another Red Guardian (who was a cyborg) leading the Russian heroes, but he got taken out when it was revealed that Fantasma was a Wraith queen. Vanguard lost his weapons, and took up Guardian's shield, so now he's the new Red Guardian (though I have no clue if the shield he carries can focus his mutant power like the hammer and sickle did).

I tend to like various international heroes that appear in comics. Most are not overly powerful, but tend to have cool concepts. Crimson Dynamo has always been one of my favorite Iron Man villains back in the day.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #95 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Bump. bump, bump. I'd have to add the Archie Red Circle and DC's Impact line of comics to the mix as well.

YIM  
IP Logged

Tempest
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #96 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Thank you for the bump, DSumner (and how often do you get people complimenting you for giving them a bump?); I'd never seen this particular thread before, but the subject matter looked intriguing.  Looking over previous point-outs and examples brings me back to the Summer of '93: I was doing a final course to finish off my degree (entire year's worth of material packed into three weeks; fortunately, the prof was superb and I ended up enjoying the hell out of it).  However, another marker of that time was Rob Liefeld's Brigade...a work now lost in the sands of time, perhaps, but which was my guilty pleasure back in the day.

What marked that series - at least the first four issues - as total V&V material, for me, was not just the characters and their respective powers and power levels - which I found to be entirely replicable within the scope of the game - but also the storyline, which was about as straightforward, bad-guys-are-comin'-to-town, stomp-'em-till-you-just-can't-stomp-no-more, make-no-apologies fun as you could ask for.  Thinking about how to stat up characters like Battlestone (aka John Stone - gotta give Rob credit for pushing the boundaries there), Kayo, Seahawk, Coldsnap, Atlas, Thermal and Stasis - and, obviously, Genocide (despite the name, he was not the tragic nice guy you might otherwise expect) provided hours of pleasant diversion.

Obviously, there were x number of other Image characters/groups that fit the V&V bill pretty much perfectly in terms of the game's ability to stat them out, including WildC.A.T.S. and Cyberforce.  Just maybe, one day, it'd be an idea for me to sit down and see if some numbers and descriptors can be assigned to those long-ago series and individuals who made up their rosters...

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #97 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Tempest wrote on Nov 9th, 2013 at 11:59am:
Thank you for the bump, DSumner (and how often do you get people complimenting you for giving them a bump?); I'd never seen this particular thread before, but the subject matter looked intriguing.  Looking over previous point-outs and examples brings me back to the Summer of '93: I was doing a final course to finish off my degree (entire year's worth of material packed into three weeks; fortunately, the prof was superb and I ended up enjoying the hell out of it).  However, another marker of that time was Rob Liefeld's Brigade...a work now lost in the sands of time, perhaps, but which was my guilty pleasure back in the day.

What marked that series - at least the first four issues - as total V&V material, for me, was not just the characters and their respective powers and power levels - which I found to be entirely replicable within the scope of the game - but also the storyline, which was about as straightforward, bad-guys-are-comin'-to-town, stomp-'em-till-you-just-can't-stomp-no-more, make-no-apologies fun as you could ask for.  Thinking about how to stat up characters like Battlestone (aka John Stone - gotta give Rob credit for pushing the boundaries there), Kayo, Seahawk, Coldsnap, Atlas, Thermal and Stasis - and, obviously, Genocide (despite the name, he was not the tragic nice guy you might otherwise expect) provided hours of pleasant diversion.

Obviously, there were x number of other Image characters/groups that fit the V&V bill pretty much perfectly in terms of the game's ability to stat them out, including WildC.A.T.S. and Cyberforce.  Just maybe, one day, it'd be an idea for me to sit down and see if some numbers and descriptors can be assigned to those long-ago series and individuals who made up their rosters...

Tempest, I've got to agree with you. Brigade was a fun little comic, that just clicked with me, and the characters all seemed very "V&V Like" in their power levels. I personally prefer Coldsnap's original look, as to when he was transformed into the ice creature looking thing. If I get motivated, I may get around to working up some stats on them.

YIM  
IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #98 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Wow.... really?  Not one mention of...

Southern Knights http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Knights
or
The Champions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Champions_%28Hero_Universe%29

...These were my guilty pleasures of old.  Good comics on the whole.. have as many of them as I could get my hands on.  Especially Southern Knights.. really liked that team.

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #99 - Nov 11th, 2013 at 5:23am
Print Post  
I was a big fan of Brigade when it first came out, and enjoyed many of the Image titles for a short while in the early 90's.

I recently re-read through the first half dozen issues or so of Brigade and thought they were solid and pretty fun.  Not spectacular, but entertaining.  I most definitely agree that their power levels fit very nicely in the "V&V range".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools

>