Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Comic Conversions (Read 37391 times)
Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Re: Comic Conversions
Reply #175 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 3:02am
Print Post  
You did kick butt versions of Mar'Vell!
I am absolutely impressed!
Course I am of the other end of the spectrum when liking Mar'Vell... I liked his disco hair and his red and blue costume ROCKED!

I have a character very similar to him (actually he was a PC who retired from gaming and the PC transfered to NPC status). Who's inspiration was totally Cap Mar'Vell. They are incredibly similar in powers (almost a Captain Mar'vell meets the Green Lantern Corp).

Oh... you did forget one thing. Captain Mar'vell could extend his sparkly flight things to draw others along with him (Kinda like an "In-flight tractor beam") and I believe even into space, where they were safe inside the field of his flight trail.

Irregardless... gorgeous Job. I absolutely thank you for this.

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #176 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 3:17am
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 3rd, 2009 at 3:02am:
Oh... you did forget one thing. Captain Mar'vell could extend his sparkly flight things to draw others along with him (Kinda like an "In-flight tractor beam") and I believe even into space, where they were safe inside the field of his flight trail.Irregardless... gorgeous Job. I absolutely thank you for this.

I'm not sure the limits of that ability. Maybe you could treat his Flight, Independence from Atmophere, and tractor-beam abilities as a Mutant Power that allows him to fly (with passengers/cargo) safely into space.

--I just went back and updated the 2nd version of the character to include the ability you suggested. Since this modified version of the character was genetically altered, Mutant Power seemed to fit. Plus, I added Special Requirement as a weakness to the 2nd version, who suffers some penalties because he is solar powered. I don't know enough about the specifics of these two aspects of the character to include more detail.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2009 at 3:37am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #177 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Nice Moonstone and Mar-vells!

Great jobs.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #178 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
I finally finished of Mr. Sinister, and threw in a rough draft of Moonstone, namely because it popped into my head (I'll try knocking out a few other Thunderbolts later). Next up is Blockbuster of the Marauders.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #179 - Sep 3rd, 2009 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Blockbuster

Identity: Michael Baer          
Side: Evil
Affiliation: Marauders
Sex: Male                              
Level: 5                               
Training: Damage

Powers:
1. Increased Density: 2x normal weight.
2. Invulnerability: 20 points.
3. Heightened Strength B: +30.
4. Heightened Endurance B: +20.

Weight: 400 lbs.                
Basic Hits: 8
Agility Mod: -2                   
Strength: 46
Endurance: 34                   
Agility: 10
Intelligence: 11                  
Charisma: 13
Reactions from Good:- / Evil: -
Hit Points: 114                   
Damage Mod.: -
Healing Rate: 1                  
Accuracy: -
Power: 101                        
Carrying Capacity: 20,147 lbs 
Basic HTH Damage: 3d10    
Movement Rates: 90” ground,
Detect Hidden: 8%             
Detect Danger: 12%
Inventing Points: 5.5          
Inventing: 33%
Legal Status: American citizen, with an extensive criminal record.

Origin/Background: Blockbuster is a member of the Marauders, a team of superhuman assassins brought together by the mutant thief Gambit when he was in the employ of the enigmatic Mister Sinister. On Sinister's orders, the Marauders massacred the underground community of mutants known as the Morlocks. In the course of the massacre, the Marauders, including Blockbuster, clashed with various superhuman champions, including the superhuman mutant adventurers known as the X-Men.

Combat Tactics: Blockbuster's combat tactics basically consist of getting in close, and trying to pound his opponent to death, with his fists, or the largest object he can get a hold of. 

Personality/Character Traits:
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2016 at 7:10pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

The Hellions (from the original New Mutants)
Reply #180 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 12:25am
Print Post  
I thought Chris Claremont did an outstanding job fleshing out this team of potential villains in only a handful of issues. Here's my take on their core stats at Levels 1-2 during the mid-1980s. Thunderbird's increasing powers were already evident by the time he joined X-Force, with a larger body and greater strength.

CATSEYE
S 12, E 13, A 22 (8 as human), I 12, C 8
Basic Hits: 3 (120 lbs.) Hits: 13 (4 as human)
1. Transformation/Power Activation:

2. Mammal Powers:
A. Heightened Agility: + 14 (raising her score from 8 to 22)
B. Natural Weaponry: +1 to hit, +2 damage with claws only
C. Heightened Senses: night vision

3. Body Powers:
A. wall-crawling, PR = 0.
B. camouflage in dark areas due to purple fur (situational invisibility)
C. prehensile tail (which she retains in human form).

Background/Motive: Catseye considers her human form awkward and unattractive and feels more comfortable as a purple lion. She stays with the Hellions out of friendship/loyalty yet would be the most likely to change sides.

EMPATH
S 12, E 13, A 13, I 15, C 14
Basic Hits: 4 (160 lbs.) Hits: 11
1. Psionics with Emotion Control: Empath can manipulate a wide range of emotions, attacks a single target, PR = 8. His eyes glow when he uses this power.

Background/Motive: Empath is motivated by power. He enjoys manipulating others.

JETSTREAM
S 13, E 13, A 19, I 12, C 12
Basic Hits: 3 (145 lbs.) Hits: 11
1. Natural Weaponry (skill): + 1 to hit, + 2 damage HTH.
2. Flight: 169 mph, PR = 1 per hour.
3. Bionics: +6 Agility and telescopic sensors

Background/Motive: Jetstream's bionic enhancements rid him of a turning/coordination weakness similar to Cannonball's. He is dedicated to the Hellions.

ROULETTE
S 12, E 13, A 15, I 13, C 14
Basic Hits: 2 (90 lbs.) Hits: 6
1. Mutant Power: range = Intelligence, attack type = force field, manifests either  "good luck" or bad luck" (her choice), PR = 3 per attempt.

Examples of "bad luck": An opponent's charges or power supply suddenly runs out, a device malfunctions/backfires, a heavy object falls/collapses on an opponent (damage can range from 1d6 to 1d10 damage). Examples of "good luck": a teammate suddenly recovers from a specialized attack, the location of a secret/hidden object is uncovered, etc.

Background/Motive: An experienced gang member before joining the Hellions, Roulette is committed to the side of evil.

TAROT
Basic Hits: 3. Estimated weight = 130 lbs.
S 12, E 13, A 13, I 13, C 10
Hits: 8
1. Heightened Expertise: +4 to hit with her solid energy creations.
2. Solid Energy Illusions: maximum creation points = 102. Instead of using a specific form of energy, she makes her 3-dimensional creations by looking at 2-dimensional pictures.

3. Special Requirement: Her realistic looking creations must resemble one of the figures from a deck of Tarot cards. She carries a deck with her at all times. (Ultimately, this special requirement is due to her deep-seeded misconception that her powers are connected to Tarot mysticism.)

Background/Motive: Tarot is on the fence between the sides of good and evil.

THUNDERBIRD
S 45, E 17, A 13, I 12, C 13
Basic Hits: 5 (214 lbs.) Hits: 44
1. Heightened Strength B: +30, lifts 9,932 lbs., HTH damage = 2d10
2. Invulnerability: 6 points
3. Natural Weaponry (skill): +2 to hit, +4 damage.

4. Special Requirement: Thunderbird will have to wait until he is older to gain his remaining powers (Body Power, final weight = 350 lbs.) and two additional slots of heightened strength, raising his score to 95 (lifting 75 tons).

Background/Motive: Thunderbird blames the X-Men for the death of his older brother (who died in X-Men #95). He is committed to the Hellions out of a sense of revenge--a motivation he will later come to terms with.

His deceased brother had H. Strength B (carry cap = 4,000 lbs.), some Invulnerability, Nat. Weaponry skills, Speed Bonus: running speed = 154" (35 mph)
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2009 at 2:21am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #181 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Nice job on the Hellions. If you want, I can look into digging up some artwork to use.

YIM  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Re: Comic Conversions: Great Lakes Avengers
Reply #182 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 1:49am
Print Post  
These heroes aren't worth fully stattin' out. But I thought it'd be fun to take a look at their powers.

BIG BERTHA
1. Transformation/Power Activation:
2. Body Power: Weight x 6.25
3. Invulnerability: 20 points
4. Heightened Strength (x2): +40
5. Heightened Agility: +8, she is acrobatic in spite of her low agility mod.

Weight: 750 lbs. (originally 120 lbs.)
Basic Hits: 15, Agility Mod.: -4
Strength: 51, Carrying Capacity: approx. 50,000 lbs.

DOORMAN
1. Non-Corporealness: PR = 4 per hour.
2. Mutant Power: By standing non-corporeally inside a wall, Doorman can create a 1" x 1" portal, allowing others to pass harmlessly through through that barrier. Using this power requires movement and one action per turn, PR = 4.

FLATMAN
1. Body Power: modified stretching powers.
A. Flatman can extend his height/length and width (but not his thickness from the side). PR = 1 per use as a defense.
B. He is permanently flat-as-a-pancake.  This modification negates any bonuses to hit him from the side (but not from behind).

MR. IMMORTAL
1. Heightened Agility B: +12. His score is about 24.

2. Body Power: Even when he loses all hit points and power points,  Mr. Immortal continues to save vs. Endurance (d100) to wake up each turn (as if merely paralyzed). He revives from the dead with 1 Hit Point and Power Points equal to his Basic Hits (until he rests to fully recover).

3. Low Self-Control: At the end of each turn of combat, Mr. Immortal must save vs. Charisma (d20) or enter a battle frenzy. In this state, he will be unable to retreat or stop fighting until he saves vs. Charisma (d100) between turns. Others may spend one action reasoning with him, giving Mr. Immortal additional attempts to snap out of the frenzy.

DINAH SOAR
1. Reptile Powers:
A. Wings: +3 Agility, PR = 1 per hour of flight.
B. Heightened Agility A: + 7. Her score is about 20.

2. Emotion Control: range = 10", effects one target, creates a feeling of calmness, reversing the effects of phobia/psychosis or emotional low self-control (e.g. Mr. Immortal).

3. Mute: Only Mr. Immortal has learned to understand her high-pitched way of speaking.

« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2009 at 10:14am by SuperFriend »  

GreatLakesAvengers1_001.jpg ( 41 KB | 1 Download )
GreatLakesAvengers1_001.jpg
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #183 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 1:58am
Print Post  
I think this would be a fun team to play the MODs with... Just cause they are so odd and to plain see if they could do it (accomplish the mods that is).

I have always liked this group and I thought they had a decent look. I don't see why the Central U.S. couldn't have need of protection anymore than the rest of the states.

I actually had some super criminals get smart and start going to towns that were heroless (and high-techless) and rob things there.
It then turned into a hunt for them... which is why a group like this could be important.
Course... Marvel went and ruined it by killing the concept of superhero... Certainly Marvel Killed the Mask.
Trade off... realism?

No thanks. I would sooner read a witty, intelligent and fun story than to read about some hero all lost in his own selfish angst (sorry... over it. It had it's time and works for certain characters... but ugh).

ANYHOW!!... lol
The GLA were a fun fun team. Frankly better than that God awful WCA.

G7

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #184 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Oct 13th, 2009 at 1:58am:
I think this would be a fun team to play the MODs with... Just cause they are so odd and to plain see if they could do it (accomplish the mods that is).

Visually, Mister Immortal reminds me of Prankster from Opponents Unlimited.

Byrne did a nice job creating the GLA--one of the best in a long-line of Inferior Five-like teams. Big Bertha is a successful businesswoman and a model (before she supersizes herself). But in that inflated form, she's more gymnastic than she is at standard weight--one of several creative touches in the team.

I've tried play-testing modules with similarly low-powered heroes. I think you'd have to give Flatman, Doorman, and Dinah Soar natural weaponry or higher stats than they deserve to give them even a fighting chance of success in even the most modest of V&V modules.

I've tried play-testing modules with simiarly low-powered groups of heroes and they get badly beaten off the bat.
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2009 at 3:03am by SuperFriend »  

GreatLakesAvengers1.jpg ( 41 KB | 2 Downloads )
GreatLakesAvengers1.jpg
IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #185 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 10:57am
Print Post  
I think you missed a power for Cyclops. Havok is immune to his brothe Scott's power and Scott is immune to his brother's power as well. It's Marvel's way of keeping sibling rivalry in check Grin

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #186 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Thor should weigh more than Luke Cage, simply because the marvel universe says that Asgardians have more dense flesh than the average human. Thor being close to 5-600 lbs!

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #187 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Hi Avatar!

Thanks. I take the admittedly controversial position of not following the Marvel Universe guides as gospel. 
I know this position is almost indefensible. I try to capture the feel of the characters from the source material: the actual comic books, and even then mostly from the comic book runs I love best (Lee and Kirby's FF plus Byrne's FF but few other creative teams' take on those characters). It's why I have the tortured "early 80's" qualifier sometimes. I can't answer for all the crazy stuff that's happened to these characters over the decades.

So, I don't see Asgardians presented by Lee, Kirby or Simonsen as being 600 lbs. in the comic books, iirc.

I think it's similar to how I read the comics. I believe in all of the stories of my favorite characters that were written by my favorite creators. And I tend to discount the rest. I know, crazy.

Weirder still, on some level I may have been trying to see them as rollable player characters in V&V.
So none of this is scientific. Nor is it intended to be presented as the only interpretation.
Thanks. Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2009 at 11:46am by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Re: Comic Conversions: Bare Bones
Reply #188 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
You don't need transformation and a string of other powers and weaknesses when you lump everything under one incredible bare-bones umbrella (crica 1980-1981).

Chemical Power: Adrenalin! When overcome by anger or fear, the fight-or-flight response turns boney Bruce Banner into a bare-chested Hulk unless he saves vs. Charisma (d20). Using tranquilizers or post-hypnotic suggestion to stay calm helps Banner to stabilize his adrenalin, giving him two chances to make the saving throw.

Hulk's adrenalin-power consists of Weight x 8, Strength +60, Endurance +30, Intelligence -14, Invulnerability (25 points of green skin), with the ability to see astral beings. Thunderclaps and earthquake stomps are available at the GM's discretion.

Each turn Hulk loses hit points or is physically confined, he must save vs. Intelligence (1d20) or experience an adrenalin surge, restoring 3d10 power points, adding 10,000 x 1d6 lbs. to his carrying capacity, but sending him on an uncontrollable rampage until he calms down.

Each action that Rick Jones, Doc Samson, Magician, Sword-Girl, Bird-Nose, Cat Girl, or other friends spend reasoning with Hulk, he makes a saving throw vs. Intelligence (d20) to calm down, returning his carrying capacity to 90 tons and ending the rampage. (Caution: Fish-Man is not able to calm down the Hulk, and those puny Avengers who were mean to Hulk may inadvertently trigger an additional adrenalin surge.)

Each hour that Hulk is alone and unprovoked, or rendered unconscious, he must save vs. Intelligence (d20) or return to Bruce Banner as his adrenalin-level stabilizes.

Weight: 1,040 lbs
Basic Hits: 21
Agility Mod.: -6

Strength: 70
Endurance: 40
Agility: 6
Intelligence: 4
Charisma: 8 (often goes down 1-2 points after a rampage until he builds it back up again through heroic deeds)

Hit Mod. (5.0)(5.0)(0.7)(0.8) = 14
Hit Points: 294
Power: 120

Carrying Cap.: 180,440 lbs. (90 tons, per original Marvel Universe entry); higher after adrenalin surges.

Basic HTH Damage: 6d10 (potentially 7d10 or more)

Damage Mod.: -1
Accuracy: -2, he often lifts objects in a fight, improving his chance to hit

Movement: 116" ground.
Per standard rules, Hulk's stats allow him to leap 1804" per phase, remain airborne for 173 phases, covering 312,092" with a running leap—or opt for a standing jump of 158,497" (148 miles).

Det. Hidden: 4%
Det. Danger: 10%

Inventing: 12%
Invention: conveniently stretchable purple pants

Banner: 130 lbs., S 10, E 10, A 12, I 18, C (matches Hulk's), Hits: 6, Power: 50. Knowledge: military, physics.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2009 at 12:51am by SuperFriend »  

18533-2954-20730-1-hulk_super.jpg ( 54 KB | 2 Downloads )
18533-2954-20730-1-hulk_super.jpg
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #189 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Hey SF,
Great Hulk write up! Incredible, in fact.

But I wouldn't give Hulk Chemical Power because he doesn't assume the physical qualities of the chemical, adrenalin. He is Transformed by the adrenaline.

Whereas Colossus and even our bashful blue-eyed Benjamin Grimm assume the physical qualities of Steel and Rock*. I'd respectfully submit there is a difference.  Smiley
A guy with Chemical Power: Adrenaline might have an ability to trigger "fight or flight" responses in others, for example. Adrena-Man might have Emotion Control: Rage and Fear maybe?

But, beautiful Hulk stats! I'd give him a better chance to hit, maybe a better agility too. He does slug it out bare handed many times. But that's a nitpick. Nobody stats the unstatable like you (Superman, Thor and now Hulk!)

* Not to muddy the waters further, but in interviews, Jack Kirby didn't think of the Thing's surface as being rocks. He intended it to look like dinosaur or rhino hide. That blew my mind. I assumed rocks and still kinda do.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2009 at 10:06am by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #190 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 10:49am
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Oct 14th, 2009 at 10:44pm:
Each action that Rick Jones, Doc Samson, Magician, Sword-Girl, Bird-Nose, Cat Girl, or other friends spend reasoning with Hulk, he makes a saving throw vs. Intelligence (d20) to calm down, returning his carrying capacity to 90 tons and ending the rampage. (Caution: Fish-Man is not able to calm down the Hulk, and those puny Avengers who were mean to Hulk may inadvertently trigger an additional adrenalin surge.)

Really funny.

Also, do you have thoughts on how you'd play out thunderclaps and earthquake stomps?
If not, that's fine. But if you already had them, I'd love to see it.
Thanks.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #191 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 at 10:49am:
Also, do you have thoughts on how you'd play out thunderclaps and earthquake stomps?
If not, that's fine. But if you already had them, I'd love to see it.
Thanks. 

Craig Griswold's V&V campaign hq as an excellent GM guide that includes rules for special strength feats.
http://www.paratime.ca/v_and_v/campaigns/hq/
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2009 at 10:48pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #192 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 at 3:26pm:
Craig Griswold's V&V campaign hq as an excellent GM guide that includes rules for special strength feats. 

Thanks SF!

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #193 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 at 10:03am:
But, beautiful Hulk stats! I'd give him a better chance to hit, maybe a better agility too. He does slug it out bare handed many times. 

See ... just make Hulk attack as Chemical Power and it all works out!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #194 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Grin

IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #195 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 12:32am
Print Post  
But I wouldn't give Hulk Chemical Power because he doesn't assume the physical qualities of the chemical, adrenalin. He is Transformed by the adrenaline.Whereas Colossus and even our bashful blue-eyed Benjamin Grimm assume the physical qualities of Steel and Rock*. I'd respectfully submit there is a difference.  

BYAM: I think it was pretty clear that giving chemical power to the Hulk was meant as a lark--a riff of the bare bones approach.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Re: Comic Conversions: THUNDRA
Reply #196 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 1:33am
Print Post  
I saw the request for Thundra on another thread. Here's my best stab at her around 1980: http://marvel.wikia.com/Thundra_(Earth-715))

THUNDRA
Sex: Female
Side: Good
Level: 7

Powers
1. Heightened Expertise: +4 to hit w/wrestling skill and with many HTH weapons
2. Heightened Strength B: +26
3. Mutant Power: x2 Strength
4. Heightened Endurance B: +8
5. Body Power: Weight x 2, with +2 agility to balance out her agility mod.
6. Invulnerability: 10 points
7. Speed Bonus: +20" ground
8. Phobia/Psychosis: Thundra's intense fear of male dictatorship drives many of her actions, sometimes prompting villainous behavior.

Weight: 350 lbs.
Basic Hits: 7
Agility Mod.: -2

Strength: 88
Endurance: 26
Agility: 18
Intelligence: 12
Charisma: 10

Hit Mod.(6.2)(3.0)(1.9)(1.1) = 38.874
Hit Points: 273
Healing Rate: 4.9
Power Points: 144

Accuracy: +7 (includes heightened expertise)
Damage Mod.: +2

Carrying Capacity: 119,713 lbs. (60 tons)
Basic HTH Damage: 5d10

Movement Rate: 152" ground (35 mph)

Det. Hidden: 10%
Det. Danger: 12%

Background: (Anachronism) Government/Bureaucracy, Sports, Crime.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2009 at 9:10am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #197 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
You for got one thing. Body Power: Camel Toe: All actions by heterosexual males are at -4 to do them being distracted.  Cheesy

YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #198 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 7:48am
Print Post  

It's a great site, I've actually used the Forbidden Island adventure before, but I couldn't find the feats of strength... where is it located?

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #199 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 23rd, 2009 at 7:48am:

It's a great site, I've actually used the Forbidden Island adventure before, but I couldn't find the feats of strength... where is it located? 

Last time I checked they were in the GM guide available for download about halfway down the left column. There are bonus feats for speed and notes about h. intelligence as well, and a bunch of ideas for wildcard powers.

IP Logged

Stacia
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #200 - Dec 27th, 2009 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
* Not to muddy the waters further, but in interviews, Jack Kirby didn't think of the Thing's surface as being rocks. He intended it to look like dinosaur or rhino hide. That blew my mind. I assumed rocks and still kinda do.

That dinosaur bit went beyond Jack Kirby's idea. It was stated directly in the comics in 1979.

Do you have a copy of Marvel Two-In-One #50?

John Byrne wrote and drew that issue. In it, Reed discusses how Ben began with a dinosaur-like hide, but that as his powers changed over the years Ben's hide turned into rock. Because of that change--from dinosaurish hide to rock--the cure Reed developed on Ben didn't work.

Reed also explains why Ben used to randomly turn back and forth between his orange form and regular body when he first got his powers, as his body was rejected the radiation-induced transformation.

I came across this completely accidentally today when I picked up the issue for five bucks. If you like Thing, and if you like Kirby, and if you like Byrne, you might like the story.

IP Logged

mel
Sidekick

vigilantesomething

Reply #201 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Stacia wrote on Dec 27th, 2009 at 8:26pm:
That dinosaur bit went beyond Jack Kirby's idea. It was stated directly in the comics in 1979.

Do you have a copy of Marvel Two-In-One #50?

John Byrne wrote and drew that issue. In it, Reed discusses how Ben began with a dinosaur-like hide, but that as his powers changed over the years Ben's hide turned into rock. Because of that change--from dinosaurish hide to rock--the cure Reed developed on Ben didn't work.

Reed also explains why Ben used to randomly turn back and forth between his orange form and regular body when he first got his powers, as his body was rejected the radiation-induced transformation.

I came across this completely accidentally today when I picked up the issue for five bucks. If you like Thing, and if you like Kirby, and if you like Byrne, you might like the story.

How about that! Who knew? Huh

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #202 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Scalphunter

"I figured the rules would change sooner or later... so I've been keeping busy. It's amazing what you can put together with a few pieces of scrap metal and a little know-how"

Identity: John Greycrow         
Affiliation The Marauders
Training: Accuracy

Powers:
1. Armored Body Suit (Armor B): ADR=90.
a) Stealth: All attempts to detect Scalphunter are at 1/2 normal percentages.
b) His body suit is laced with holsters, clips, and pockets which hold various gun parts and ammunition, giving him the ability to assemble the pieces into a variety of firearms with a number of uses. In effect, Scalphunter may spend one action to create any weapon listed on the Tech Ranged Weapons table, on pg. 27 of the 2.1 rule book.
2. Heightened Agility: +8.
3. Heightened Expertise: +4 to hit with firearms, and edged weapons.
4. Heightened Senses: Tracking Ability:
5. Regeneration: 1 action to heal at maximum rate.
6. Willpower A: PR=1 per turn, or when used for defense.

Weapons/Ammunition Types:
1. Sword: +2 to hit, HTH+1d6 damage.
2. AP Ammo: 1d8+2 damage.
3. Explosive Ammo: 1d10 damage, 1" blast radius.

Note: Scalphunter’s uniform also contains a back-mounted sheath for his sword

STR: 17
END: 19
AGL: 19
INT: 12
CHR: 13

Origin/Background: Scalphunter is leader of the Marauders, a band of mutant outlaws working for the mysterious Mister Sinister. John Greycrow was a Native American from an unidentified tribe who fought in World War II for the United States of America, but was executed for murdering his fellow officers. He was shot by a firing squad and was believed killed. However, because of his regenerative powers he survived and became a mercenary. Decades later, he worked at a diner in Millstone, Arizona with Remy LeBeau and Claire DeLuc. LeBeau later recruited him to join the Marauders on behalf of Mr. Sinister.

Combat Tactics: Using his weapons, he always chooses a weapon and ammo of sufficient force to guarantee a kill against his target(s). Scalphunter prefers armor-piercing (AP) and explosive ammo, over mercy and rubber shot, as the latter two have a distressing habit of leaving the victim alive.

Personality/Character Traits: Although very little has been revealed about Scalphunter's origins or background, what is obvious  is that Scalphunter is a cold-blooded murdering machine, who kills his victims only because he does not know how NOT to kill in combat. The restrictions placed upon him by the limits of his weapons, plus the fact that he must break down and rebuild his guns to handle more powerful opponents, puts him alongside his fellow Marauders in combat, as opposed to working on his own.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2021 at 11:42pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #203 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Stacia wrote on Dec 27th, 2009 at 8:26pm:

I'll check it out.
Thanks, and welcome to the boards!

IP Logged

Agent Canada
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #204 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
   Great conversions of the heroes, especially the Captain America (I'm a big fan). At first it seemed that there was a lot of needless padding of the powers but it works. I like how you dated the character as they've all drastically changed over the years.

I would actually like to see a WWII era Cap, before all the XP and rewrites to his character if you guys have the time.

IP Logged

mel
Sidekick

vigilantesomething

Reply #205 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Agent Canada wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 7:41pm:
 I would actually like to see a WWII era Cap, before all the XP and rewrites to his character if you guys have the time.

Here's a link to the WWII Cap over at the V&V Emporium: http://paratime.ca/v_and_v/capamerica_ww2.html

IP Logged

Agent Canada
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #206 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Cool, thanks.
That's a very nice site

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #207 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Has anyone ever did a write up on any of the Marvel New Universe characters? I read those back in the day and thought they would be cool for V&V.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #208 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Hawk wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 9:57pm:
Has anyone ever did a write up on any of the Marvel New Universe characters? I read those back in the day and thought they would be cool for V&V.

I read Psi-Force and Starbrand, way back when. Never bothered converting either though.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #209 - May 13th, 2010 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Holocaust

Identity: Unknown                         
Affiliation: Horseman Of Apocalypse
Training: Damage

Powers:
1. Armor B: Crystalline Armored Containment Suit: ADR=120. Holocaust  wears a high impact, crystalline suit of armor that essentially acts as a highly durable containment suit. Wearing this suit allows him to remain in a cohesive form without having to constantly absorb ambient the energies around him.
a) Invulnerability: 15 points per turn.
b) Life Support: Holocaust needs his armor in order to stay alive; without it, he would eventually dissipate and die.
c) Transformation: Shape Shifting: When charged with life-force energies, the unique shapeshifting abilities of the armor allow him to take on virtually any type of humanoid form. However, he has to constantly absorb life-force energies in order to maintain the feature of whatever form he has taken.
2. Non-Corpralness: Permanent: Outside of his armor, Holocaust's body is in an almost intangible state.
3. Disintegration Ray: 1d20 damage, PR=2
4. Life Force Absorption: (Absorption - Hit Points): By expending an action <<< PLACE HOLDER >>>
a) Heightened Strength B: +30. By purposely channeling the energy he'd absorbed, Holocaust could grant himself superhuman strength
b) Heightened Endurance B: +30. As a result of using his absorbed energy to enhance his strength, his musculature was far more efficient than that of an ordinary human. His muscles produced less fatigue toxins during physical activity than that of normal humans and he could potentially exert himself almost indefinitely, provided he could continue to absorb energy as needed.
5. Body Power: Heightened Reflexes: +10 Imitative bonus. Holocaust's reflexes were heightened to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
6. Flight: Holocaust could propel himself through the air, under his own power, at great speeds. He did so by creating super heated air currents that propelled him. While at his peak, he was able to reach speeds up to MACH-1, approximately 760 miles per hour.
7. Psionics: Onslaught was able to alter Holocaust's brain engrams that rendered him resistant to most forms of telepathinc assault (acts as Willpower A). His engrams were altered to such a degree that he was rendered undetectable telepathically.
8. Special Requirement: He must continuously absorb the life energies of others in order to maintain his form outside of his armor.

Origin/Background: Holocaust originally comes from an alternate timeline in which Apocalypse conquered North America. Holocaust first appeared in human form as the entity Nemesis, and attacked the base of that timeline's version of the X-Men, located at Wundagore Mountain. The mutants Rogue and Scarlet Witch, with the latter sacrificing her life in the battle, drove off nemesis’s attack. In retaliation, Scarlet Witch's father, Magneto, who led that timeline's X-Men, attacked and almost slew Nemesis, requiring the latter to be placed into an energy containment suit to prevent death.

Nemesis, who had renamed himself Holocaust, returned and rose to the level of Horseman in Apocalypse's army. During an assault on Apocalypse's Citadel by the X-Men, Holocaust fell into battle with the mutant X-Man. During the fight, X-Man stabbed Holocaust with a shard of the S Crystal, which is a nexus for all realities, and both Holocaust and X-Man disappeared.

Holocaust reappeared in the "mainstream" X-Men's reality, encased in a cocoon of ice orbiting the Earth. The cocoon was recovered by the Acolytes and brought aboard their space station Avalon. Holocaust awakened inside Avalon and began to battle the Acolytes' leader Exodus, which resulted in the destruction of Avalon. Both Exodus and Holocaust were sent hurtling to Earth.

Combat Tactics/M.O.:

Personality/Character Traits:
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2016 at 7:07pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Topic Tools

>