Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Comic Conversions (Read 37120 times)
SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Re: Comic Conversions
Reply #105 - Aug 8th, 2009 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Three words:

Paste

Pot

Pete

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Capt. America
Reply #106 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Capt. America

Identity: Steve Rogers
Affiliation: The Avengers
Side: Good                     
Sex: Male
Level: 22
Training: Endurance

Powers:
1. Willpower (A): PR=1 per turn, or per use as a defense.
2. Willpower (B): All stats at peak human performance levels.
3. Awe Inspiring: Cap’s force of personality is so strong, that those allied with him receive a +2 bonus on all actions. Special Requirement: Characters must be able to see Cap, and here his voice for it the bonus to apply.
4. Natural Weaponry (Unarmed Combat Training): +3 to hit, +6 damage
5. Special Weapon: Shield: Cap’s shield is composed of a nonmagnetic super-alloy, that provides Cap w/30 points Invulnerability. For game purposes the material itself is almost indestructible. It may be thrown as a missile weapon. +3 to hit, HTH +1d6 damage, R= AGL (AX2 if no return).
a) Deflection: Attacks in Cap’s front arc me be blocked with an Agility save per attack deflected; Max number of attacks deflected = Agility/3
b) Shield Return: Cap can angle his shield to return on a successful Agility save. Movement only.
c) Falling Recovery: When falling from a height of less than Ax2, an Agility save will result in Cap's shield taking the damage first.
6. Acrobatics: Provides the following abilities:
a) Acts as Heightened Defense: -4 to be hit
b) Evasion can be performed with the cost of movement
c) Knock Back Recovery: When knocked back from a hit, an Agility save allows Cap to recover without taking damage
7. Heightened Expertise: +4 to hit with everything

STR: 19
END: 23
AGL: 28
INT: 16
CHR: 32

Weight: 205    
Basic Hit: 5
HP: 70
Power: 86

Comments?
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2013 at 12:37pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #107 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 12:53am
Print Post  
c) Knock Back Recovery: When knocked back from a hit, an Agility save allows Cap to recover without taking damage

I like this!

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #108 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 1:07am
Print Post  
SILVER AGE AUNT MAY

Identity: May Parker
Sex: Female
Side: Good

Powers: none

Weight: 110 lbs.
Basic Hits: 3
Agility Mod.: +2

Strength: 6
Endurance: 6, her health is a recurring issue during the Silver Age
Agility: 9
Intelligence: 11
Charisma: 10

Hits: 2
Power: 32

Carry Cap: 45 lbs.
BHTH Damage: 1-2

Movement: 21"
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2009 at 1:09am by SuperFriend »  

100px-May_Parker_001.jpg ( 9 KB | 3 Downloads )
100px-May_Parker_001.jpg
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #109 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 1:13am
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Aug 11th, 2009 at 12:53am:

I like this!

I actually can't take credit for the idea. I originally saw it in Super Crooks and Criminals, and thought it'd be a perfect fit for Cap.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2009 at 1:29am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

New Mutants: First Class
Reply #110 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 11:58am
Print Post  
I put my foot in my mouth in another thread, so here are some nuts-and-bolt write ups of the first five New Mutants.

Sunspot
Weight: 130 lbs., 3 Basic Hits
1. Transformation/Power Activation: requires one action.
2. Heightened Strength B: +30. (lifts about 5000 lbs.)
3. Special Requirement: At night or underground, he can stay transformed for Endurance turns (total).
Sunspot also has another slot of Heightened Strength which is available only when he is closer to the sun (or older).

Wolvesbane
Weight: 110 lbs., 3 Basic Hits
1. Transformation/Weaker Form: wolf
2. Transformation/Power Activation: gets Mammal Powers: H. Agility +6, Nat. Weaponry: + 1 to hit, +2 damage, H. Senses: limited tracking, x2 det. danger

Cannonball
Weight: 160 lbs., 4 Basic Hits
1. Mutant Power: While flying, Cannonball receives force field defense, which protects himself and anyone he’s carrying.
2. Flight
3. Low Self-Control: must save vs. Agility (d20) to turn while flying. Otherwise he keeps going the same direction until he crashes.

Psyche (later Mirage)
Weight: 110 lbs, 3 Basic Hits
1. H. Expertise: +4 to hit with knives/daggers
2. Psionics: attacks as Emotion Control: target sees their greatest fear (or object of desire, beginning at 2nd level), PR = 8 per attack and requires one action per turn to maintain.
Opponents save vs. Charisma (d100) between turns. The images appear real to the target, but are unreal holograms to everyone else.
3. Psionics: With one action per turn, she can direct the actions of wild animals. Animals save vs. their Ferocity (2d8), making the power uselss against very dangerous creatures.
4. Low Self-Control: When she is under great emotional stress, she must save vs. Charisma (2d8) or else activate her power involuntarily. Gm's discretion. Through charisma training, this weakness goes away by the time she is 4th level.

1. Psionics: attacks as Mind Control, PR = 20. Karma's body remains motionless and unconscious while her mind takes control of her opponent.
Karma sees through the other person's eyes, attacks at her own level, and does not receive any special knowledge of the person she possesses.
Opponents save vs. Intelligence (d100) between turns to snap free.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2009 at 12:08pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #111 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
So, anyone else have a comment on Cap? I'd really like to hear what you guys think of his shield write-up.

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #112 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Great Cap, Aunt May and New Mutants (who were also in the 50 cent boxes at Chicago Comicon!).

Love the shield. What is "20 points of Absorption?"
Thanks.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #113 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 11th, 2009 at 3:03pm:
Love the shield. What is "20 points of Absorption?"

Cap's shield is supposed to be composed of a Adamantium-Vibranium super alloy. Vibranium absorbs energy. Here's a Wiki quote that can explain it. "The Wakandan isotope possesses the ability to absorb all vibrations in the vicinity as well as kinetic energy directed at it. The energy absorbed is stored within the bonds between the molecules that make up the substance. As a result, the more energy vibranium absorbs the tougher it becomes."

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #114 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Aug 11th, 2009 at 2:57pm:
So, anyone else have a comment on Cap? I'd really like to hear what you guys think of his shield write-up. 

You gave his shield Absorbtion, which i think is cool, but didn't really explain how it would work.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #115 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 6:03pm
Print Post  

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire! (circa early 1980’s)

Level: 10

Powers:

Heightened Strength B: +20

Heightened Endurance A: +8

Invulnerability: 20 points

Body Power: Dense! Weight increase

Heightened Expertise: +4 to hit with “street fighting” weapons, including fists

Natural Weaponry: +1, +2 with fists

Weight: 425 lbs
Basic Hits: 9

Strength: 38
Endurance: 22
Agility: 14
Intelligence: 11
Charisma: 14

Hit Mod. (2.8)(2.6)(1.3)(1) = 9.464
Hit Points: 85
Power Points: 85

Accuracy: +1, +6 with fists
Damage Mod.: +1, +3 with fists

Detect Hidden: 18%
Detect Danger: 20%

Carry Capacity: 12,128 lbs
Basic HTH Damage: 2d10

Notes:
My house rule adds Level to Detect rolls.

Power Man is a street-level brick with cool. So far, HTH damage looks like:
Hawkeye: d8
Captain America: d10
Power Man: 2d10
Ms. Marvel: 3d10
The Thing: 4d10
Wonder Man: 5d10
Thor: 5d10
Hulk, not too angry: 6d10
Thor with Mjolnir: 7d10
Hulk, angry: 7d10 +
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2009 at 6:04pm by Doctor Foom »  

luke_cage2_bt.jpg ( 61 KB | 2 Downloads )
luke_cage2_bt.jpg
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #116 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Aug 11th, 2009 at 3:53pm:
You gave his shield Absorbtion, which i think is cool, but didn't really explain how it would work.

I'm figuring something like this. Cap's shield would ignore the first 30 points of damage (the Invulnerability), no matter what type of damage caused it. It would then absorb the next 20 points of kinetic energy/vibration damage. Each point of absorbed damage would increase the shield's Invulnerability by one point, up to a maximum of 50 points. The absorbed energy would dissipate at one point per turn.

Sound reasonable? If not, can someone else suggest a better solution? DF, didn't you get the opportunity to get a peak Jeff Dee's take on the Avengers?

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #117 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Yeah, but that was ages ago. Some of what I've posted here is based on my faulty memory of that peek, as mentioned before.

I do recall he used standard powers whenever possible. But games were simpler then.

Re: the shield: It is indestructable, but Cap's shield arm isn't. So I can see how it comes down to a set number of Invulnerability points.

That said, I love seeing inventive takes on the rules, and everyone's interpretations of known characters.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #118 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Know that you've got Power Man, any plans for Iron Fist?

YIM  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #119 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Aug 11th, 2009 at 6:36pm:
'm figuring something like this. Cap's shield would ignore the first 30 points of damage (the Invulnerability), no matter what type of damage caused it. It would then absorb the next 20 points of kinetic energy/vibration damage. Each point of absorbed damage would increase the shield's Invulnerability by one point, up to a maximum of 50 points. The absorbed energy would dissipate at one point per turn. Sound reasonable? If not, can someone else suggest a better solution? DF, didn't you get the opportunity to get a peak Jeff Dee's take on the Avengers?

The vibrianium explanation is a technical way to explain the exceptionally high structural rating for the shield. (It's like the reference books saying that Angel has a special body power that makes him especially adapted for bird-like flight; in game terms, that simply transfers to wings). I think you can simply give it a high SR and high Invulnerability w/out playing it out as absorption. I don't know if the short-term absorption boost ever playing out in the comics. If you have some issues showing that, though, more power to ya!
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2009 at 9:52pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #120 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
You got Power Man weighin' almost 200 lbs. more than Thor. But Thor always looks a lot bigger than Luke Cage. Plus, even w/his fro, Power Man's got less hair than goldilocks.

Are there issues of the mag that say Luke Cage is incredibly heavy?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #121 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Aug 11th, 2009 at 9:50pm:
The vibrianium explanation is a technical way to explain the exceptionally high structural rating for the shield. (It's like the reference books saying that Angel has a special body power that makes him especially adapted for bird-like flight; in game terms, that simply transfers to wings). I think you can simply give it a high SR and high Invulnerability w/out playing it out as absorption. I don't know if the short-term absorption boost ever playing out in the comics. If you have some issues showing that, though, more power to ya!

I'm trying to figure out a way to show how much damage the shield can take, so I'm still pretty open to ideas. I just may give it a higher structural rating say 50?

YIM  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #122 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Whatever works. It's supposed to be unbreakable. So just make it unbreakable.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #123 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Hey,
SF: Thor is taller and wider than Cage but I recall that from Cage's origin event at Seagate prison, it's explained his muscle and tissue were now more dense. It's how they justify his invulnerability and that his fists are 'strong as steel.'

Unlike Thor, I've always thought (perhaps wrongly) that Cage was heavy, pardon the pun.

But I'll look through the run and try to find a legit quote.

DS: Iron Fist? Hmmm.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2009 at 10:22pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #124 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 11th, 2009 at 10:21pm:
Hey,
SF: Thor is taller and wider than Cage but I recall that from Cage's origin event at Seagate prison, it's explained his muscle and tissue were now more dense. It's how they justify his invulnerability and that his fists are 'strong as steel.'

Unlike Thor, I've always thought (perhaps wrongly) that Cage was heavy, pardon the pun.

But I'll look through the run and try to find a legit quote.

DS: Iron Fist? Hmmm.

Marvel Universe had him down at 300 lbs. at the time, but those were the same ref books you called illegit fer saying' Thor weighed something like a third-a-ton. Don't sweat the research. I'm not tryin' to make homework for anyone.

Last night I started to have a panick attack that I was startin' to turn into a troll (i.e. someone who only posts obnoxious comments). I don't want t'be that guy.

Please forgive me!
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2009 at 11:01pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

New Mutants: Second Class
Reply #125 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
The second wave of New Mutants were more powerful than the first, except for Aqualad (I mean Cypher). As more and more adventures became dimension-hopping misadventures (turning the exceptionally interesting/deep Magik into a time-travel cliche) soaked in madcap muppet-like madness (turning Warlock from a thought-provoking sf concept into Fozie the Bear), they became hard to take seriously. I'm not even going to bother with the subsequent members of the team.

Many heroes are more powerful than this batch of New Mutants, but in game terms they aren't easily playable.

Magma
Weight: 120 lbs., Basic hits: 3
1. Heightened Endurance: +10
2. Chemical Power: her body turns to magma, defends as the better of flame/chemical power, attacks as the better of flame/disentigration ray, 2d8 damage, PR = 8 per attack (with disintegration effects). With her chemical power active, she can tunnel through substances at speeds similar to vibratory powers, PR = 2 per turn.
4. Mutant Power: can create earthquakes, radius = Strength x 10" (PR = 10 per turn) or Strength x 100" (PR = 20 per turn). Everyone on the ground must exercise special care or save vs. Agility (d20) to avoid suffering 1-6 points of damage (similar to the consequences of darkness control). GM/player's discretion: some areas also randomly effected as if hit by a small grenade: attacks at fourth level, +2 to hit, 1d10 damage).

Though introduced as a plot device, Magma has her earthquakes under control by the time she officially joins the New Mutants.

Magik
Weight: 120 lbs, 3 Basic Hits
1. Dimension Travel Type 1: PR = 4 to travel to limbo. After she is there, she can spend one action to return anywhere on earth. Doing this, however, operates as Dimension Travel Type 2: time travel. As a result, she may not return to earth exactly when she likes.
2. Astral Projection
3. Willpower B: automatically resistant to telepathy, mind/emotion control
4. Special Weapon: With once action she can summon her Soul Sword: +4 to hit, HTH +1d8 damage, automatically penetrates mystical defenses and can disspell magical/psionic influences.
5. Armor B: Magik cannot voluntarily summon her mystical Eldritch amror.  Beginning at 2nd level, whenever Magik is physically hit but still conscious, there is an 80% chance per hit point lost that 10 points of the armor will mystically materialize. Later, 30 points automatically appear when she draws her Soulsword. Maximum ADR = 80.
6. Low Self-Control: see notes under dimension travel and armor.

Cypher
Weight: 150 lbs., 3 Basic Hits
1. Psionics: By spending one action to listen/read a foreign language can become fluent if he saves vs. Intelligence (d20 for conversational human languages, d100 for extraterrestrial languages), PR = 2 per attempt. This same power allows him to decipher computer codes (d20 for logical systems) or the meaning behind cultural symbols (d100 for highly subjective codes), PR = 2 per attempt.

Cypher is very intelligent, but he does not have heightened intelligence as a separate power.

In retrospect, Warlock could be considered Cypher's animated servant.

Warlock
Estimated weight: 240 lbs. (or higher), Basic Hits 5 (or higher)
1. Robotic Body (mechanoid life form): 40% human appearance, +20 Strength
2. Transformation/Shapeshifter: functional mechanical objects/vehicles at least as large as a helicopter. Through training he also learns to create a persona that looks 100% human
3. Stretching Powers
4. Adaption
5. Death Touch
6. Special Requirement: With little understanding of cultural norms (such as the difference between life and death), Warlock requires constant supervision.

In time, Warlock and Cypher merge into a composite being called Douglock, jumping more sharks than Fonzie.
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2009 at 3:57pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #126 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 6:07am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 11th, 2009 at 6:03pm:
Hawkeye: d8Captain America: d10Power Man: 2d10Ms. Marvel: 3d10The Thing: 4d10Wonder Man: 5d10Thor: 5d10Hulk, not too angry: 6d10Thor with Mjolnir: 7d10Hulk, angry: 7d10

What stopped Marvel from lettin' Power Man have some decent strength?  At least Power Man wasn't created as a de facto sidekick/sequel like Sam (I "heart" Captain America) Wilson or Bill (I "heart" Hank Pym) Foster--or even Monica (I "heart" Mar-Vell) Rambeau.
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2009 at 6:11am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #127 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 9:54am
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Aug 12th, 2009 at 6:07am:
What stopped Marvel from lettin' Power Man have some decent strength?

It's true. He's better at taking damage than dishing it out. But over time, it adds up.
Giving Marvel the benefit of the doubt, maybe it's because they were looking for a 'street level' guy.
But once he became an Avenger he should have been mutated or something to step it up.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #128 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 9:59am
Print Post  

I could see Cage at 300 lbs. but wanted to make him be able to take lots of damage (since he doesn't dish out too much) so used the "dense" excuse to up the Basic Hits. Cage needs to be respected!

SuperFriend wrote on Aug 11th, 2009 at 10:59pm:
Last night I started to have a panick attack that I was startin' to turn into a troll (i.e. someone who only posts obnoxious comments). I don't want t'be that guy.

Please forgive me! 

Don't sweat it. We could just start calling you Super Frenemy.  Wink

Seriously, nice stuff on the New Mutants. I never got into that book for some reason, but I remember seeing the Art Adams covers with that crazy Warlock robot thing all over it.
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2009 at 10:01am by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #129 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:24am
Print Post  

Spider-Man (circa early 1980’s, pre-black costume and Clone story)

Level: 18

Powers:

Animal/Plant Powers: Arachnid: -4 to Strength, +2 to Endurance, +2 to Agility

-Heightened Strength A: +20

-Heightened Agility A: +20

-Heightened Senses: Spider-Sense: Detect Danger x 3

-Special: Wall crawling: Spidey can move on any surface

Special Weapon: Web Shooters. 12 charges (Spidey is often out of webbing fluid at this time.)
+2 to hit on HTH attack column. If struck, target is entangled and must use action to cause 12 points of damage to it to escape.

-Speed Bonus: Web-Swinging: +75” to movement. 1 charge per hour.

-Special: Spidey can use webbing in other creative ways: create parachute, cushions, clubs, etc. at GM’s discretion. Costs at least 1 charge per use.

Heightened Intelligence A: +10. Petey's been a nerd/whiz kid from the beginning and invented the web compound!

Heightened Expertise: +4 to hit in unarmed combat and with web shooters

Heightened Defense: -4 to be hit when aware and mobile

W: Prejudice: This game weakness was likely created with poor Spidey in mind.

Weight: 160 lbs
Basic Hits: 4

Strength: 35
Endurance: 12
Agility: 39
Intelligence: 24
Charisma: 16

Hit Mod. (2.6)(1.4)(4)(1.5) = 21.84
Hit Points: 87
Power Points: 110

Accuracy: +6, +10 unarmed and with Web shooters
Damage Mod.: +7

Carry Capacity: 3,526 lbs
Basic HTH Damage: d12

Detect Hidden: 36%
Detect Danger: 84%

Gear/Inventions:
-Spidey Tracers that he can follow with his Spidey Sense.
-Spidey Signal
-The Spider-Mobile: the less said, the better!

Notes:
I have a House Rule where you add your Level to your Detect rolls.

When he doesn’t have his arm in a sling, Spidey is often found waking up in garbage can-filled alleys after being knocked unconscious during this period, hence the 12 Endurance. But he still has a lot of hit points.

When leveling, he’s been training in Strength and Agility over his career. His Charisma was also lower when he started, around a 10.

If possible, Spidey evades with his first action.

Other weaknesses could be: Aunt May, Broke, Oath, and the Bad Luck that seems to follow poor Petey.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:29am by Doctor Foom »  

115945-174475-bruce-timm_super.jpg ( 26 KB | 3 Downloads )
115945-174475-bruce-timm_super.jpg
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #130 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Do Spidey's webs have a structural rating? Do all 12 points of damage have to be caused in one turn? Does the adhesiveness of the webbing inhibit whether or not they can break free? I've never been too sure how thy work.

If he wants to use the webs as a cushion or club, etc., how does that work in game terms? How much damage can a cushion absorb? How much weight can it hold? How much extra damage does a club do? This is what makes web-head tridkier than most to translate in V&V.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #131 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
In Amazing Spider-Man King-Size Annual #15 (1981), the web-slinger ranks himself against lots of Marvel folks. In that issue, he says he's among the super-medium weights. That bracket includes two of my favs: Power Man and Giant Man II (Wm. Foster), along w/an early She-Hulk.

Below him are the middleweights. These include the blue Beast, Spider-Woman, Cap. Britain, and Tigra.

Below them is all the strong but not superhuman heroes, like Falcon and Black Panther and some guy who looks like Thor in a loin cloth.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2009 at 8:46pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #132 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Aug 13th, 2009 at 2:21pm:
Do Spidey's webs have a structural rating? Do all 12 points of damage have to be caused in one turn? Does the adhesiveness of the webbing inhibit whether or not they can break free? I've never been too sure how thy work.

If he wants to use the webs as a cushion or club, etc., how does that work in game terms? How much damage can a cushion absorb? How much weight can it hold? How much extra damage does a club do? This is what makes web-head tridkier than most to translate in V&V.

Hey SF,
Yeah, it's structural rating of Ballistic Cloth. If Spidey's pinned you to something else (like a brick wall) with the webbing, you could go up against the structural rating of brick, but likely would still have the webbing on you.

Re: the web creations: Again, I think the GM's discretion can cover it. It was a rarely used thing.
But:
Club: costs 1 charge, does damage as per "club" in the 2nd edition rules.
Cushion (meant to break someone's fall) Costs: 1 charge per basic hit of falling target. Halves falling damage.
And like that.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #133 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Aug 13th, 2009 at 8:44pm:
In Amazing Spider-Man King-Size Annual #15 (1981), the web-slinger ranks himself against lots of Marvel folks. In that issue, he says he's among the super-medium weights. That bracket includes two of my favs: Power Man and Giant Man II (Wm. Foster), along w/an early She-Hulk.

Below him are the middleweights. These include the blue Beast, Spider-Woman, Cap. Britain, and Tigra.

Below them is all the strong but not superhuman heroes, like Falcon and Black Panther and some guy who looks like Thor in a loin cloth.

Ranked in strength or overall?
Who was the writer?
In his guest appearance in the Byrne FF, Spidey struggles to pick up a compact car, and knows better than to dare get involved with Galactus.
I agree with that. I see Spidey as a very tough street level hero, but that's just MHO.
Interesting how people see the same character differently.
Thanks. Smiley

IP Logged

Harkker
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #134 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
i like the way you did his powers and stats... awesome work... an excellent conversion...

the only thing that nags me is the carrying capacity.. there are countless sources that sight 10 tons.. but frankly your conversion has more of a v and v feeling.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #135 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Harkker wrote on Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:09pm:
i like the way you did his powers and stats... awesome work... an excellent conversion...

the only thing that nags me is the carrying capacity.. there are countless sources that sight 10 tons.. but frankly your conversion has more of a v and v feeling.

Thanks.
I think all my sheets lift less than the Marvel Handbook lists. 
I don't always agree with those and try to stick with the comicbook issues if possible. But that's imperfect too.
I guess I'm interpreting them to also make them like (playable?) V&V character sheets.
Also, it's real tough in V&V to make a Wonder Man strong kind of character. Maybe that's coloring my interpretations too.
Finally, if Power Blast is an indication of an energy blast, getting over 2d10 is a big deal.  I'd rather not have to have every Power Blast guy have to have Heightened Attack.
Thanks for the feedback!  Smiley

EDIT: Thought a little more and added more
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:18pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #136 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:09pm:
Ranked in strength or overall?Who was the writer?In his guest appearance in the Byrne FF, Spidey struggles to pick up a compact car, and knows better than to dare get involved with Galactus.I agree with that. I see Spidey as a very tough street level hero, but that's just MHO.Interesting how people see the same character differently.Thanks.

Mark Gruenwald is the writer. It came out in 1981. It's about physical strength (not other abilities). Spidey breaks through two brick walls in the issue and fights Punisher.

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:46pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #137 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Dr. Foom, iz you really Jack Herman or Jeff Dee in disguise? You seem to know a lot about the intention and tone of V&V? I mean this as a compliment!
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:49pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #138 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:14pm:
Also, it's real tough in V&V to make a Wonder Man strong kind of character. Maybe that's coloring my interpretations too.
This is good to know. But like I said before, one of the first V&V modules has Behometh liftin' 100 tons and doin 6d10 damage. You have the right to do yer write-ups as you like. They are great to read.

Maybe your interpretations are more in keepin' w/the heroes in the late 1970s than the early 1980s. As an aside, John Byrne is such a back to basics fanatic that he probably redid Spidey to his Ditko days. Byrne's the same guy who said that the FF's costumes never changed over the years (even though they visually had) because it had never been stated in the dialouge: as if comics aren't a visual medium.

I like his fourth World stuff, though. He made Scott Free look ... miraculous!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #139 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Hey, my Spidey write up can punch through brick walls!   Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:07pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Topic Tools