Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Favorite Comic Runs. (Read 3280 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Favorite Comic Runs.
Jun 8th, 2009 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
We talked about comics that can convert easily to V&V, but we haven't talked about our favorite comics.  Here are some of my favorite comic runs in the order that they come to me.

I have to start with Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's Fantastic Four.  I mean, come on, this pretty much started the whole shebang.   Character driven stories,  heroes with flaws, and not just gimmics like Kryponite.  Some villains that have yet to be topped.  Man those 102 comics were gold. 

John Byrne's Fantastic Four run.   In my mind, the second best run on the Fantastic Four.  And what did he do?  He pretty much copied Stan and Jack.  Man I have to say, I love this run.

Mark Waid's Fantastic Four.  It was a modern touch, yet very much an homage to Stan and Jack.  The issue when Ben died, and Reed stormed the gates of heaven to get his friend back, only to find out god looked a bit like our favorite FF penciler was a real tear jerker.   

Avengers 150-200.   While 200 was definitatly a poor issue,  this 50 run was pure comic joy.  The fights were exactly what you wanted from comics; notably the Avengers Nefaria battle in 164-166.  This run has some amazing artists;  Jack Kirby, Joe Sinnote, John Byrne,  George Perez, I mean come on,  these were some real legends here.  And I don't care what anyone says,  Jim Shooter was a godsend to the Avengers and to my next entry...

Legion of Superheros!   From the Great Darkness Saga and on till the book was cancelled, this was comic gold.   The art was superb.  Geffen,  Lighte,  Cockrum what can be better?    The characters became individuals, each with their own voice.  And that was no easy task when we were talking about a team with about 30 members.

The New Teen Titans and Clairmont and Byrnes X Men.  These books are legendary.   These two were revolutionary among comics.  They change the way stories are told, they changed the way dialogue is written, and character interaction.  And they both hold up well.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Favorite Comic Runs.
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
James Robinson's Starman.  The art was simply gorgeous and the story telling was touching.  With the exception of a few issues toward the end, where Robinson got too caught up in fixing continuity instead of telling good stories,  this series is flawless.  I can not recomend it enough. In fact, its time to re read the series.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
For me, the Marv Wolfman/George Perez run on New Teen Titans (issue one is what got me collecting comics), the Chris Claremont/John Byrne run on Uncanny X-Men, The Keith Giffen run on Legion of Super Heroes (The Great Darkness Saga still ranks in my top ten storylines), Kingdom Come, Bill Willingham's Elementals, The Byrne run on Fantastic Four, the initial run of The Micronauts, Crisis on Infinite Earths, all good reads.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jun 8th, 2009 at 9:03pm:
For me, the Marv Wolfman/George Perez run on New Teen Titans (issue one is what got me collecting comics), the Chris Claremont/John Byrne run on Uncanny X-Men, The Keith Giffen run on Legion of Super Heroes (The Great Darkness Saga still ranks in my top ten storylines), Kingdom Come, Bill Willingham's Elementals, The Byrne run on Fantastic Four, the initial run of The Micronauts, Crisis on Infinite Earths, all good reads. 

Good call on the Micronaughts!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 1:02am
Print Post  
I will be adding more as my failing memory permits.

As mentioned above;  Bill Willingham's Elementals.   This comic changed comics.   This comic was the harbinger of Alan Moore,  Vertigo,  the Dark Knight, you name it.   The art was amazing when Willingham drew it, and his characters dealt with their problems in a real world way.   This was the first mature comic, mature in the best sense of the word, I ever read.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Have to second many that have already been mentioned.

Byrne and Claremont's run on X-Men.  This is the run that I reread more than any others.

The Elementals, especially the ones where Willingham is involved (not only on the art, but when he wrote and Leeke and Chen drew it was outstanding as well).

Frank Miller's Sin City stuff.

Matt Wagner's Mage (the first series).

The four-issue run of Villains and Vigilantes (hey, I still love to reread it from time to time!)

John Byrne's run on Fantastic Four is fun, as was Miller's issues of Daredevil.  Much of Alan Davis' stuff is fantastic.  Grant Morrison's run on X-Men a few years ago was tremendous as well, and I really enjoyed the Claremont / Paul Smith issues in the #160's-170's, too.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
A couple I forgot to add were Morrison's run on Animal Man, Doom Patrol, and the Justice League, the Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire run on Justice League.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2009 at 9:45pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Morrison's Doom Patrol and Animal Man; good calls.  Amazingly weird comics.  Good call,  I would have forgotten them.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Hitman by Garth Ennis with art by John McCrea.  This is a brilliant run of comics.  While I admit, its not everyones cup of tea,  I LOVE this comic.  Its up there in the top five most best comics of all time.
  This comic had everything from the silliest of stories ( a mad scientist that hid an extradimensional storage unit in his ass), to the most touching ( the story of Tommy's mother and Tommy's birth), to the most philosphical ( issue 34, my favorite single comic of all time*).

Hitman was the story of Tommy Monahan, a hitman that gained the powers of telepathy and X ray vision from the crappy Bloodlines event in DC.  In fact, Hitman was ONLY good thing to come out of that crappy event.
     Garth did what ever he wanted.  He told no holds barred stories of violence,  guns, and violence.  Again, if a guy who shoots and kills people is not your cup of tea, I won't hold it against you.  But I will say, while its not a superhero comic, it is a comic with superheroes in it.   Its just that one of the superheroes is not the star of the comic.  He is not a hero, but you do get to see him evolve into a hero.
  The first year is good, but it doesn't kick into high gear till the second year.    

* this issue has Superman just landing near Tommy and they have a talk.  It turns out Superman just thought Tommy was a lonely guy in nead of a friend.   Tommy ends up comforting Superman as he is in need of a friend as he failed at saving everyone in a shuttle diaster.  He had to leave one guy behind.   Tommy explains to Superman how he can't beat himself up over not being able to save everyone.  He then explains to Superman what he means to the average person, and American.  Then they have a talk about what it means to be American,  the greatness of America, and the tragic flaw in America.     All in one issue!    You learn why we all love  Superman,  why Superman is so damn cool,  why America is a great nation, and why we will just fuck it all up anyway.   And then, as Superman flies away...well I won't ruin the ending,  go buy it. Its only 3 bucks or so.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Alan Moore.  Yup Alan Moore.    Just pick up a comic with his name on it, and it probably goes in my favorite run list.

Watchmen,  yup.

Swamp Thing?  god yes.  In fact this may be my most re read of all comics.   I remember being drunk one night and reading  the Swamp Thing vs Batman issue in Swamp Thing 50 to my non comic reading friends.  They were very polite.

Miracle Man?  Holy yes!   This is also a major influence on my V&V campaign.   

the whole ABC line; Promethea, Tom Strong,  Top Ten, all of these were just wonderful.

From Hell was the scariest thing I have ever read.   Amazing.

The only thing by Moore I don't like is V for Vendetta.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Right on with most of the initial post and Replies 2, 4, 5 and 9!
We have to be the same age.

Plus, more currently:
The Goon!
Mignola's Hellboy!
Jack Staff!
Secret Six!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Jack Staff is that good?  I haven't read it.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
It's an homage to Marvel's Union Jack and the Invaders, along with some homegrown British heroes.
I'd start at the beginning with the tpb.

The new ones come out so infrequently though, it's hard to hang in there.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Just to add to my post about Alan Moore,  go out and get his run on Swamp Thing.   If you like comics, then you must do this. 

That is all.  Carry on.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
For the Elementals fans out there, you may want to check out a comic called Pantheon, from Lone Star Press - http://www.lonestarpress.com/ ; It's written by Bill Willingham, with artwork by Mike Leeke. It's a decent read, with several cool characters.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #15 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:39pm:
For the Elementals fans out there, you may want to check out a comic called Pantheon, from Lone Star Press - http://www.lonestarpress.com/  It's written by Bill Willingham, with artwork by Mike Leeke. It's a decent read, with several cool characters. 

I just finished reading this comic, as I had to wait till I had all the issues.   I loved it and gave it to a fellow forumite, John Q Hoplite.   He loved it he lent them to an other friend.    I thought it was the unofficial story of how the Elementals would have ended.

Oh, and read Willingham's Proposition Player.   A fun  take on the afterlife.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #16 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
If you get the chance, read over the Pantheon Script Book, I bought a copy, but the publishers have made it available for free online. It's got a lot of additional info, and notes from Bill Willingham. He states that he used a lot of his plans for the Elementals in Pantheon.

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #17 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Hey D,

Can't get the link to go. Would love to read the notes.

SPOILERS!!

Pantheon felt like an Elementals continuation. Basically, what happens after you beat all the bad guys?

Answer: you take over the world.

Thank heaven for the bad guys!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Yes, Pantheon is very good (especially for Elementals fans)!

I didn't know about the Script Book; will have to check that out some time.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #19 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
A dead series called Chase, by DC.
About an X-Files-esque government division that monitors superheroes, looking for their weaknesses.
One issue she's given the job of finding out Batman's secret identity. In another, she works with the Suicide Squad.

Illustrated by J.H. Williams III, who went on to do Promethea. Written by Dan Curtis Johnson.

Great comic, only lasted ten issues.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #20 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Chase was outstanding.  Long live the Justice Experience!

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #21 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
  Hey!! What about my guy Moon Knight!! That would be before it got really bad with Fist of Konshu. Sorry all but the only comic I collected regularly. I think I started about 30 issues in and had to work backwards from there.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #22 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
The Doug Moenick and Bill Seinkeivecheachedvjkl;asd or how ever you spell his name Moon Knights were great.  I just re read them and They stand up as some good comics.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #23 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
With all the new/returning members, I figured I'd bump this up, and see if we get any new input.

YIM  
IP Logged

>