Poll
Poll Question: What do you like BEST about V&V ???
bars   pie

Hit Points based on SEAI and Weight    
  2 (18.2%)
Power Points    
  2 (18.2%)
The Attack/Defense Combat Chart    
  0 (0.0%)
Training and Leveling Rules    
  1 (9.1%)
Inventing Points/Percentages    
  0 (0.0%)
Power Descriptions: Core and Wildcard    
  6 (54.5%)
Inch-System for Movement and Ranges    
  0 (0.0%)
Combat Play: Initiative, Evasion, Special Attacks    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 11
« Created by: Troy on: Feb 7th, 2010 at 12:32am »
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What do you like BEST about V&V ??? (Read 1841 times)
Troy
Teen Titan

What do you like BEST about V&V ???
Feb 7th, 2010 at 12:32am
Print Post  
I left out the cash rules because I'm not sure those are anyone's favorites. And I left out the knowledge/skills areas because V&V kind of requires you to bring your own interpretation to the table. I also left out the AMAZING art because that's kind of a given.

I think everything else is great!!! So pick your favorite part of the game and vote!!

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2010 at 12:33am by Troy »  

IP Logged

Agent Canada
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Re: What do you like BEST about V&V ???
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 2:46am
Print Post  
  Tough choice, I went with Training and Leveling both because I have played myself and because it allows you to specialize your character. Power Descriptions however would have tied for first place.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
It was a tough choice between Power Description and the Attack/Defense chart.  I finally choose the Power Descriptions because having the powers set up the way they are is why the Attack/Defense chart exists.

I have never been able to play the other games because everyone have Power Blast then 2 to 3 modifiers.  It is the modifiers that made Ice Ray different from Fire Beam different from Energy Blast.   To me it is difficult to read and silly.  I just can't get past it.

Nothing makes me  Roll Eyes more that reading about a speedster who has Flight: only useable when touching the ground (feet).

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:50am
Print Post  
Power descriptions... Flexible enough to build any character in most cases without the use of a calculator.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:13am
Print Post  
I went with the power descriptions although I've got to say that personally, as both a gamer and a designer, the random chart is my absolute fave! Plus the fact that the game is very small yet literally full of endless ideas... its something that I can turn most prospective gamers on to simply because its a minimal investment.... a cheap set of dice (usually a hand me down) and an $8 book.
(Although I must admit that I'm personally not a V&V purist in the sense that I use modified Heroclix minis and toy cars instead of the cardboard counters..... but that has nothing to do with the quality of the counters, its just a me thing)

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 11:04am
Print Post  
davew wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:13am:
I use modified Heroclix minis and toy cars instead of the cardboard counters.....

Me too, until my wife complained about seeing them around the house and I encountered a storage issue.  I can put 50 counters in the same space a 2 Heroclix.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 11:08am
Print Post  
The Cougar wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 11:04am:
Me too, until my wife complained about seeing them around the house and I encountered a storage issue.  I can put 50 counters in the same space a 2 Heroclix.

If you'd have quit leaving them in the shower, it wouldn't have been an issue.  Wink  Cheesy

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 11:08am:
The Cougar wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 11:04am:

If you'd have quit leaving them in the shower, it wouldn't have been an issue.  Wink  Cheesy

Hey, now the shower is a perfectly good storage space that gets maybe used, what 3 or 4 times a day!?! I mean, come on, is it so hard for someone to move out a mere couple hundred pounds of gaming supplies and toys before they take a bath? And its not too much to ask to have them put the stuff back in as well when they are finished.  Grin

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
When I first started playing V&V I was stunned ( in a good way) that hit points came directly from the attribute scores.  I hated that in D&D you can have an 18 in strength and constitution and still roll a one for hits!   Some amazing health you got there  Erk the Slayer!
   And power points just gave the game a dimension that was lacking in so many of the other games.   All the rest was gravy.  But the Hit and Power Poing systems  are the cornerstones of this game.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
I love the fact that the game is so free wheeling, you have the ability to do whatever you want, as long as you can reasonably explain it to the GM, and it doesn't unbalance game play.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 2:02pm:
I love the fact that the game is so free wheeling, you have the ability to do whatever you want, as long as you can reasonably explain it to the GM, and it doesn't unbalance game play. 

Funny you should say that.  When I first introduced V&V to my college game group,  one of the players had a hard time with the idea that he could do basically what ever he wanted as long as he could explain it.   That and he could multiple attack too freaked him out.  He was used to the super structured rules of D&D.    I gave up on D&D when a player, running a swashbucking pirate type, wanted to swipe at an orc, then follow with a punch and I basically ruled that he couldnt because I couldn't figure out how to do it.    He was mad at me until he looked up the rules himself.   A few months later we were all playing V&V and pretty much haven't touched D&D since.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Speaking of swashbuckling pirates, I just may resurrect an old villain of mine, Cut Throat, and his mechanical bird, Polly. What other game could I have a cyborg space pirate, with his ship (the Plunderer), and crew of robots, aliens, and cyborgs, battle a group of heroes, to stop them from stealing some of the Earth's greatest treasures (The Statue of Liberty, The Crystal Skull, etc.), for sale on the intergalactic black market. I guarantee the list will be very short.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
This was a tough one, and I very nearly put down the Attack/Defense Combat Chart.  But in the end I had to go with the Power Descriptions, as the open-ended descriptions gives such variety and inspires creativity.

IP Logged

>