Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 1980's Avengers for V&V (Read 19093 times)
Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Re: 1980's Avengers for V&V
Reply #70 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
She's next. I'm finishing researching her now. Her seventh sense is precognition. It comes into play early in her arrival into the Avengers, against Ultron.

Agree with Aquaman being extra dense. Nice writeup on your site.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #71 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
BTW: I owe you an apology big time. I went back and started lookin' through some of those mighty issues circa 1979 and you wuz right on target w/Quicksilver's stats. The boy looks downright sickly at times. Wanda was definitely healthier than her could-use-a-protein-shake brother!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #72 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Nice simple write-up for Thor, and more importantly, it works.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #73 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Jul 20th, 2009 at 11:22pm:
BTW: I owe you an apology big time. I went back and started lookin' through some of those mighty issues circa 1979 and you wuz right on target w/Quicksilver's stats. The boy looks downright sickly at times. Wanda was definitely healthier than her could-use-a-protein-shake brother!

No problem. Here comes Ms. Marvel!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #74 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Ms. Marvel

Level: 7

Powers:

Heightened Strength B (x2): +45

Heightened Endurance B: +10

Heightened Agility: +5

Invulnerability: 15 points

Heightened Expertise: Carol has the memories of a trained Kree warrior. +4 to hit in unarmed combat.

Flight: 1426 mph

Heightened Senses: Carol’s “Seventh Sense” is an uncontrolled form of precognition. She receives flashes of what is occurring in the present or what will occur in the near future at the GM’s discretion.
She also gains Detect Danger X 3.

Weight: 130 lbs
Basic Hits: 3

Strength: 62
Endurance: 23
Agility: 22
Intelligence: 17
Charisma: 18

Hit Mod. (4.4)(2.6)(2.2)(1.2) = 30.2016
Hit Points: 91
Power Points: 124

Accuracy: +4, +8 unarmed
Damage Mod.: +2

Carry Capacity: 15,641 lbs
Basic HTH Damage: 3d10

Notes:
-Carol Danvers’ original amnesia is not a plot point in this period with the Avengers. In 1981, in Avengers Annual 10, she gets amnesia for a new reason.

-She’s very strong but clearly shown to have less strength than Wondy.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2009 at 2:17pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #75 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Well, that about wraps up the Avengers for me.

I'm going to take a stab at the other Marvel legends next, from about the same time period:
-The FF at the time of Byrne's run
-Pre-Clone Saga Spider-Man
-Miller's Daredevil

I'll just do this in the existing thread for character conversions. See you there.

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2009 at 7:11pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #76 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Great work!  These were fun to read through.  Excellent job by all involved!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #77 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Thanks.
This reminds me, I wanted to take a stab at Miller's ninja-y Daredevil.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #78 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Hey DFoom, I just realized that you gave Tony Stark (sans armor) the same Strength and Agility scres as Hawkeye--a professional athlete. Does Tony really lift 700 pounds on his own (w/out his armor)? I had no idea he was a body builder.

Does he really have cat-like reflexes on his own? This is amazing! What issues does he use these mega-athletic prowess? I'd love to see those issues!!!

Strength: 18
Agility: 21

Dat said, Daredevil would be fun to see.

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2009 at 11:31pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #79 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Hey SuperFrenemy,  Wink
Those are Stark's stats IN the armor, obviously. I haven't posted Stark out of the armor, but he wouldn't be too far behind. During the Layton/Romita Jr. period he becomes aware that he's a lightweight out of the armor and hits the gym and karate classes.

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2009 at 10:30am by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #80 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Any chance you could do Captain Mar'vell, Black Widow, Hercules and Black Panther?

G7

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #81 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Gladly!
I'll put them in the que.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #82 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 31st, 2009 at 10:26am:
Hey SuperFrenemy,
Those are Stark's stats IN the armor, obviously. I haven't posted Stark out of the armor, but he wouldn't be too far behind. During the Layton/Romita Jr. period he becomes aware that he's a lightweight out of the armor and hits the gym and karate classes.

Dat is why I asked. Normally, if armored stats are higher than unarmored, the write-up lists those stats as heightened abilities under the armor. Dat's how I've seen it done in the modules, beginnin' w/ FIST in Crisis at Crusader Citadel. That way, we can deconstruct the unarmored stats by substractin' the modifiers built into the armor. Since you didn't do that, I had to ask if Tony had 18 Strength and 21 Agility on his own. And since you've maxed out stats on many high level characters, it wasn't "obvious" that you didn't intend to give Tony an 18 strength. BTW: I don't appreciate bein' called "Superenemy" fer askin' a question--especially since you've thanked me for questions and errors I've pointed out in some of yer write-ups before. That's what forums iz for. In some of yer first posts you waz callin' someone else yer archenemy and such, datz not how I work.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #83 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
It wasn't for asking a question. It was for the snark.
You said yourself you were worried you were becoming a troll.
I sometimes worry too.
Don't be that guy!
Smiley

Daredevil is up next, but he's not an Avenger. I'll put him in the other thread.
Peace!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #84 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
I would love to see Captain Mar Vell.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #85 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Did you ever post Jarvis? or the Scott Lang/Ant-Man?

I would also love to see your take on that snotty Moondragon and speaking of girls...
Thundra since she appeared in the Avengers Annual where Hank/Jan become Dr Spectrum.
Great issue... loved the fight between Ms Marvel and Thundra. That issue alone shows what a skilled fighter Ms Marvel is, because she was totally outclassed strength-wise by Thundra and Thundra is not slacker in the knuckles department. In the end I believe it was a draw.

Yes... I know Thundra isn't an Avengers character... but she shined better there and in Marvel Two-n-One, than she ever did in the FF.

G7

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #86 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Aug 31st, 2009 at 9:57pm:
Did you ever post Jarvis? or the Scott Lang/Ant-Man?

I would also love to see your take on that snotty Moondragon and speaking of girls...
Thundra since she appeared in the Avengers Annual where Hank/Jan become Dr Spectrum. 

Never did, but SuperFriend just posted a Moondragon write up in the mighty "Comic Conversions" thread, in the Fortress of Solitude, where many great things can be found.

Also, more great character writeups are under "Classic Superfriends," "DC Characters for V&V," "Scooby", etc.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2009 at 1:04pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #87 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 10:38am
Print Post  
About Aquaman bening extra dense. It makes sense as he is immune to the extreme pressure of the depths.   Animals adapted to depths tend to be a bit tougher at depth,but not always as tough at sea level. (I used to teach science)

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #88 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Agree. I think I had Subby extra dense for that reason, in Character Conversions, iirc.

IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #89 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jun 13th, 2009 at 9:59am:
-Hex Sphere: 5" radius maximum, front and side only. Otherwise as per Force Field, defense only.-Hex Power: May alter probability. PR: minimum of 4 per use.Roll d4 against Hex Chart to determine result.For each additional Power Point spent while casting, Wanda may move result by one increment on chart.Attacks as better of Gravity Control or Transmutation.Hex Power Chart:1) Environmental mishap: d10 damage to target2) Next attack / power use of target alters to No Effect3) Environmental mishap: 2d10 damage to target4) Random power of target suddenly activates / deactivates5) Next attack / power use of target doubles back on target6) Environmental mishap: 3d10 damage to targetted 2" x 2" area7) Environmental mishap: 4d10 damage to targetted 3" x 3" area8) Player determines effect!

Does the Hex Sphere have a PR cost?

I'm not familiar with Scarlet Witch until recently. So if Scarlet Witch rolls a 1, by spending 7 extra power points, she can do whatever she wants? That's a lot of leeway.

What types of parameters are in place? What types of "player chooses" results took place at this time?

I could imagine this power being a real nightmare for a GM if by spending only 11 power points Scarlet Witch can produce any results she can imagine.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #90 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 9:57am
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Oct 21st, 2009 at 1:15am:
Does the Hex Sphere have a PR cost?

Yes, as per Force Field.

"Player determines effect" means the player may choose among any of the effect outcomes on the chart.

Welcome to the boards!

IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #91 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Oct 21st, 2009 at 9:57am:
"Player determines effect" means the player may choose among any of the effect outcomes on the chart. 

I don't follow.

Wanda starts out rolling 1-4.

It sounds like Wanda can spend power points to move the results as she wants. An 8 is always going to be further away than any of the other scores, based on her initial roll.

So if an 8 (player determines results) is limited to the 1-7 options, why would she spend the extra point/s to get to an 8 (player determines results) when she can spend fewer power points to get to those 1-7 results anyway?

Try it out for yourself. From your reply, there's no advantage in spending more to get an 8 if she can spend fewer points to move her roll to get any of the other numbers instead.
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2009 at 11:39am by eLock »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #92 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Oct 21st, 2009 at 10:24am:
So if an 8 (player determines results) is limited to the 1-7 options, why would she spend the extra point/s to get to an 8 (player determines results) when she can spend fewer power points to get to those 1-7 results anyway? 

To increase her chance of getting the exact one she wants, which could be advantageous depending on the situation. For example: A villain is holding his Power Blast-able hand to a hostage's head. Wanda may prefer "Next attack/power use alters to no effect" or better yet, "Next attack / power use of target doubles back on target," over an area effect damage spell, to save the innocent bystander hostage.

(In Avengers Annual 10, she pulverizes concrete to help Wondy, Jocasta and the Vision make a quicksand trap for the Blob. Such team coordination is really non-random, so allowing her control when she concentrates (and spends Power) seems fitting.)

Also, she's spending the Power Point boost 'while casting,' ie: before the roll to hit, and the subsequent d4 roll for effect, in case that wasn't clear.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2009 at 6:42pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #93 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
So you're saying that she chooses to add power points before she knows what 1d4 result she gets?

Let's say she wants to make sure she gets an 8, so she chooses to at 7 to her roll?

But let's say her initial roll was a 4. Does she spend a total of 8 power points or does she spend 11.

I might just go with the emporium's write-up: http://paratime.ca/v_and_v/scarletwitch_classic.html

IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #94 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Oct 21st, 2009 at 6:38pm:
A villain is holding his Power Blast-able hand to a hostage's head. Wanda may prefer "Next attack/power use alters to no effect" or better yet, "Next attack / power use of target doubles back on target," 

What if Wanda casts that hex to alter the villain's next attack--but the villain doesn't attack right away. Does her hex wish goe into effect at that future time?

I guess I always saw the results as immediate. But I haven't read the classic stuff.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #95 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Oct 21st, 2009 at 6:51pm:
So you're saying that she chooses to add power points before she knows what 1d4 result she gets?

Yes.

eLock wrote on Oct 21st, 2009 at 6:51pm:
But let's say her initial roll was a 4. Does she spend a total of 8 power points or does she spend 11.

eLock wrote on Oct 21st, 2009 at 6:55pm:
What if Wanda casts that hex to alter the villain's next attack--but the villain doesn't attack right away. Does her hex wish goe into effect at that future time?

Yes. It would appear like the Emporium chart's result: 'No Effect,' or that she missed, until the target attempted to act.
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2009 at 7:09pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #96 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Jul 6th, 2009 at 12:56pm:
Quicksilver may generate mini-tornadoes at a cost of one action. This wind effect does damage to targets equal to the Velocity Damage equivalent for inches of movement expended in the attack. There is an area of effect: for every inch away from the center, reduce one bracket for damage.

This cyclone attack is more powerful than a hurricane with weather control. With his high initiative, Quicksilver could level out half a villain team before they even have a chance to attack.

What attack type would you give it?

Does the power cost go up by area/damage? (Kind of like Psi-Storm from the ASSASSIN module, come to think of it.)

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #97 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Oct 21st, 2009 at 11:20pm:
What attack type would you give it?

HTH, so it wasn't so overpowering. Power cost wasn't incremental.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #98 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
eLock wrote on Oct 21st, 2009 at 11:20pm:
With his high initiative, Quicksilver could level out half a villain team before they even have a chance to attack.

Well, the damage dice are determined by movement spent.
If he uses all his movement in his first action, he'll do 3d10 at the center of the cyclone, 2d10 in adjacent hexes, 2d8 and so on after that.
But on his second action, he'll have no movement left.

So he'll likely do a 2d10 cyclone, followed by a 2d8 cyclone on his second action, and then his movement will be so spent it won't be worth it to do it a third cyclone.

But you're right, Quicksilver is dangerous, until you hit him a few times.  Smiley

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #99 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
8 PP.

IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #100 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Oct 21st, 2009 at 11:55pm:
8 PP.

Thanks for all of the follow-up about Magneto's kids.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #101 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 10:04am
Print Post  
No problem. Thanks for the interest.

After thinking about it, I like your idea for incremental power cost for Quicksilver's wind attacks. Maybe PR = 3 + the absolute value of the rulebook's range modifier, as applied to his movement.
Example: a range between 481" - 960" gives a -5 to hit.
So when he moves between 481" -960" to set up the cyclone attack, PR = 3 + 5 , or 8.

IP Logged

Dyna Girl
Sidekick

recovering sidekick

Reply #102 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Those are Stark's stats IN the armor, obviously.

When a character's stats are raised in armor, a heightend stat is usually listed as an attribute of that armor. That's how V&V does it, beginning with FIST of the Crushers. So if you don't list a heightened stat in the armor (as in the above listing with Iron Man), it means that the stats match whether the person is wearing the armor or not.

I too would have concluded that you intended, for better or worse, that Tony Stark also had an 18 Strength and 21 Agility outside of his armor.

So even if you don't like the tone of the question, the response probably didn't deserve the "IN the armor, obviously" reply.

Some of these snark/troll comebacks might bother more people that the people who you're intentionally targetting.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #103 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Dyna Girl wrote on Dec 2nd, 2009 at 8:31pm:
Those are Stark's stats IN the armor, obviously.

When a character's stats are raised in armor, a heightend stat is usually listed as an attribute of that armor. That's how V&V does it, beginning with FIST of the Crushers. So if you don't list a heightened stat in the armor (as in the above listing with Iron Man), it means that the stats match whether the person is wearing the armor or not.

I too would have concluded that you intended, for better or worse, that Tony Stark also had an 18 Strength and 21 Agility outside of his armor.

So even if you don't like the tone of the question, the response probably didn't deserve the "IN the armor, obviously" reply.

Some of these snark/troll comebacks might bother more people that the people who you're intentionally targetting.

Yes, in V&V a character with devices (especially Armor) should have two sets of stats - one showing their basic characteristics without the Armor, and one with.  That seems to be how they were shown in the modules and supplements, and it certainly makes it easier to figure things out if that particular "power" goes out due to Armor damage (as we talk about over in the "Armor B" thread).  For my NPC characters, I tend to figure out not only the smaller/lesser total (for Strength, or Endurance, or whatever), but then I figure out their revised CC, Hit Points, etc., so that's it's easier to calculate things if the Armor's Heightened Strength (or other enhanced stat) goes out in the middle of a fight!

IP Logged

Ms. Ptlk
Sidekick

I Love V&V the Best!

Reply #104 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Interesting thread. I'm not completely sold on Scarlet Witch, since doing 4d10 damage to a truck load of people seems out of her league in the Perez era. And I give her Mutant Power instead of Magical Spells since that's truer to her origina. Have you seen Tim Hartin's take on her. I like that version a lot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools

>