Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: Skills? (Read 7837 times)
STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Re: Skills?
Reply #35 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Hi All!!

John introduced me to these forums and it was refreshing to see a V&V forum alive and kicking!! Grin

As far as Skill systems has anyone tried implementing the Skill system Jeff Dee put out in the v & V rules update? It's based on character points but I'm sure it can be adapted for the revised rules.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #36 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 9:59am
Print Post  
I can't remember who, but I do believe one of our board members stated that they use a modified version of them.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #37 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 11:30am
Print Post  
STORMDANCE wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 11:52pm:
Hi All!!

John introduced me to these forums and it was refreshing to see a V&V forum alive and kicking!! Grin

As far as Skill systems has anyone tried implementing the Skill system Jeff Dee put out in the v & V rules update? It's based on character points but I'm sure it can be adapted for the revised rules.

HeY

Welcome to the boards!  I will call you Monday!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #38 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
STORMDANCE wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 11:52pm:
Hi All!!

Welcome, Stormdance!

I haven't tried that system, but the one I came up with used many different game systems (probably including the ones he included) to make sure I had every Skill covered (I ended up with over 100 in my final version).

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #39 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 9:16pm:
Things like Surivival might work like this;  In a hostial environment like the dessert,  a character with survival would get a Id20 save per day to NOT lose hits due to heat, thirst or what not.  If they make their roll, they can find some water, food, shelter, etc...  Where as some guy without this skill would get an Id100.

It's possible that a few of our characters (mine included) might actually need to use the Survival Skill, and I would imagine it would work similar to what you propose here (for us we'd use a d20 Survival Skill roll rather than an I roll).  The reason they might have to use it is that they were sucked through a doorway and ended up in the desert of ancient Egypt something like 3,000 years ago!!!    Cry

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #40 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hmmmm.  I was trying to re-work the Marvel FASERIP table a little more extensively, but I'm thinking that a d20 doesn't offer the appropriate granularity.  What do you guys think?  Is percentile acceptable?

I'd developed a % based house rule, that I'd decided to try out in my new PBEM game, and put it to use. But over the last month or so, I've had to rethink the idea. I'm seriously considering reworking the whole thing, and going with something similar to what M&M uses, with a set DC roll, and bonus based on either training in the specific skill, or due to a heightened ability score. Once I work out more of the kinks, I'll post the results here.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #41 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
When it comes to rules,  I like this adage, "Keep it simple, stupid."

That works for me.   With things like skills, we tend to overcomplicate things and cause to much accounting.   
   I like the simple die roll.  D20 if you possess the skill, D100 if you don't.    

Want to swim to shore?  Sd20 if you have the skill,  Sd100 if you don't.

Want to read that book,  Id20 if you know the language, Id100 if you don't.

Want to survive in the dessert, Id20 if you possess the skill,  Id100 if you don't...

Then we can move on the fun stuff like beating up villains.  After all this isn't D&D.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #42 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
What wasn't working?  Was it down to the use of percentile dice?  I'm curious -- I think that exhaustive skill lists become poor makework projects, with largely inconsistent notions of scale.  I still like the idea of a smallish set of broad areas of knowledge/accomplishment that you can roll against, each representing a set of skills.  Trying to scrupulously account for every last little thing a character can do is a) conceptually dubious and b) contrary (IMV) to the open-ended nature of V&V.

Well my skill list itself really isn't that big (it's listed in the Empire City section of the boards, for those of you interested). I figure the list has enough skills that it should cover pretty much any situation that comes up in the game, if not, I'll work something out.

As for what's not working...I didn't put as much thought into as I should have, and basically all of the characters have extremely high chances of succeeding with their basic skill rolls. I'd like to trim that back a bit, so that unless they're the wolds greatest mechanic, pilot, surgeon, etc. there's actually a small chance they might not automatically succeed.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #43 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
FWIW, I tended to view this the way you seem to, Chim, and our first stab at Skills was:

a) short and sweet (20 Skills total) and
b) based on percentile rolls

We used this for a few years, and it was alright, but I found there were too many things that didn't fit nicely enough into any of the 20 categories.  Basing things on d100 made things more complex than I wanted as well; the system was complex enough that it was tougher to "guesstimate" what any particular NPCs skill might be, without working out all of their Skills.

So now my newer system (which we have been using successfully for many years) is based on many Skills (over 100) and they're based on a d20 roll.  The system is quick and simple, and it's much easier to figure out what any one skill would be.  For example, a Doctor with an I of 18 would have a 3/16.  That means he has 3 Skill Ranks (1 is a novice, 2 is someone more experienced, and 3 would be a professional) and needs to roll a "16" or less on a d20 when using this Skill.  He obviously isn't going to use this for every mundane thing; it only gets used for significant and/or critical uses.

IP Logged

Dr.Demented
Teen Titan

who knows what evil lurks
in heart of man

Reply #44 - Dec 1st, 2013 at 7:32am
Print Post  
I like the way James bond used its skilll system where once skills are selected and skill level was taken from character points to improve skills a level you have to use experience points 30 points x the level wanted to get that level for new skills a base 100 xp for the skill at level 1

YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

>