Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Vanguard adventures! (Read 22876 times)
Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Vanguard adventures!
Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Inspired by Majestic's recounting of the epic adventures of his game, I will attempt to do likewise.

It'll take some time.

In the meantime, here's the game site which has it all in long hand:

http://vanguardhq.blogspot.com/

Enjoy

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Vanguard adventures!
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Fun site.  I will give it a deeper look this weekend.  After BIG APPLE CON!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Latest issue is loaded on the site!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2009 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Issue 92 is now complete, meaning all the PCs have responded to the turn. It's been collected here:

http://vanguardhq.blogspot.com/2009/07/vanguard-issue-92-attack-of.html

And Issue 93 has now begun here:

http://vanguardhq.blogspot.com/2009/07/vanguard-issue-93-lost-world.html

« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2009 at 8:55pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 1:11am
Print Post  
Doc-trr Foom:

I've got some GM-in' questions for you, cuz it seems like you've been at this for a long time.

How do you manage so many players--especially in a pbem setting? There have to be times when they all want to do different things?

What do you do in the middle of a battle when some of the team is beaten to a pulp and everyone else is still up? It looks like new issues come out about twice a month. If characters are unconscious do their players have to simply sit out for several weeks until the battle's over? (This is one instance when 10 minutes of tabletop waitin' could translate into a month pbem.)

Do you have all the heroes strike at once, then have all the villains attack (with one side getting initiative at a time)--like the Marvel Supes game from the 1980s? Or do you honor the standard initiative rules? If it's the latter, what happens if the villains actions might affect what a hero would do by the time his declared action goes down?

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Completed the last issue and posted the new issue to the site.
Soviet supervillains, Cthulhoid happenings, and a Lost World of dinosaurs.

SF:
I don't recommned Pbem for V&V. I just have no other choice to play. V&V table top spends hours on combat. Pbem, by its nature, is best when used on non-combat stuff. So I limp along as best as I'm able with very understanding players.

More specific answers to follow. Gotta run.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Specifics:

The players have been beyond manageable. I think they get it's supposed to be a team book. If they have different ideas about how to proceed during an adventure, they settle it in character and get a consensus, or split up. If they split up I run them seperately. I had one player apart from the the rest of the team for almost a year of real time. It was fun.

And between each mega-story arc I have a small period of downtime where the players can investigate things they are personally interested in, which becomes an incubator for new story arc ideas and a chance for them to be independent.

If a player gets knocked out, they sit tight until combat ends. Most combats don't go too long; it is pbem. But if it does go on, and a PC or NPC doesn't try to wake them up, I could do something with them on the side: a delirious dream sequence that occurs during unconsciousness, playing out stuff that occurred in their distant past, working on future ideas for inventions, or they can heckle/help the waking PCs, ooc. On the other hand, some players don't mind the break from the game to work on real life stuff.

I modify the standard initiative rules. Each "issue," or game turn, represents half a combat turn, more or less. Everyone gets one action (ie: move and/or attack) in initiative order. Super-speedsters may get two. This dampens the extremes of high-initiative and low-initiative PCs, which I like. It also avoids a long list of actions that are more likely to be irrelevant by the time they get to enact them, because the chessboard has moved.

In terms of keeping their one action relevant, the PCs:
a) give lots of if/then statements
b) tell me what the most imprtant thing is to them in the combat (get the macguffin, save the bystander, evade, fight a baddie, deactivate the bomb, etc.) that way even if the specific baddie they wanted to slug is already unconscious I can move down the list to the next best thing for their character. This requires me to help them in good faith when required, and for them to trust me.
c) In some cases, I'll write them on the side and say, your first choice won't happen, what's your second?
d) In some extreme cases, let them decide next issue, saying they held their acton.

It's not perfect, but I can't fit face to face gaming into my schedule. Some players are old friends from high school days, when the campaign began, and are likewise strapped for time.
Almost everyone has come to the game with a fun attitude and we do our best to try to make it work.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2009 at 11:34am by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Thanx for the most thoughtful reply, Mr. Foommeister!

Since you uuse an indirect point system in buildin' characters, I'm wunderin' how much of the players' chaacters iz their input and how much iz yours, especially since you have a well established campagin.

Do you ever have to tell a player that they have powers they didn't ask for, just to balance things out? Or assign weaknesses they wasn't expectin'? Or say, no yer ability scores would look more like this or that based on yer background?

In a randomized system (which is hard to do play by post, fer sure), this izn't as much of a factor.

One of the things that can be kind of cool about playin' prerolled/assigned characters (ye know what I mean) is that the player/GM negotiations and surprises are more contained. Of course, there are disadvantages in that too.

I've got a magicain character stirrin' around in the back of my head, but I'd hate to introduce him only to find out that there is some secret curse w/his magic and such. Y'know what I'm sayin'.

I ask cuz it looks like one of the heroes gots a weakness that makes him FATED, and a couple of the others have/had potentially criminal-like weaknesses as well. Yikes! W/somoene like Blue Comet, how much of his past does the player actually know?
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2009 at 12:38pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Hi,
The Fated weakness was cooked up entirely by that player. As was Blue Comet, who wanted me to command aspects of his past via his Amnesia weakness; the villain past was something out of that player's history in the campaign and was his idea.

To maintain power balance, and avoid the usual Agility arms race,  I have asked players to modify characters, or rejected character concepts entirely.
On the other hand, if a charcter ended up too weak on the sheet, I've tried to build them up more. This helps prevent some characters always being unconscious, as per your previous email.

Either way, all sheets are approved by the PCs at the end of the creation process.

I tried secret Weaknesses in the game to create (hopefully) fun, entertaining challenges. Sometimes the PCs embrace them and the characters develop in unexpected ways. I've had them backfire too. In the case of the latter, I tried to negate or undo the Weakness asap.

If you have a magician idea, send it in! We don't have a sorceror type. We have 8 players now, but I do keep a waiting list.

Here's how I usually ask people to submit an idea, before we get into sheets and numbers:

I need a sentence or two on each of the following:

1) Character Idea, Origin and Name
Characters can be anything, except for the mysteriously missing heroes of the Freedom Force. All characters will begin at first level. Include his Secret Origin: how he got his powers and what made him want to use them for truth, justice and the american way!

2) Personality Type
Give me at least a phrase that describes the personality of the character.
Examples:
Class clown (Beast Boy, Spidey, or the furry blue version of The Beast)
Dark, grim avenger of the night (Batman or The Shadow)
Wise cracking, anti-authority, devil’s advocate (Hawkeye or Green Arrow)
Square-jawed defender of truth and justice (Superman, Captain America or Green Lantern)
Hyper-logical super-scientist (Mr. Fantastic or The Vision)
Brash, happy-go-lucky guy who loves being a superhero (Human Torch, The Flash)
Mysterious, metaphysical enigma (Raven, The Spectre, or The Stranger)
Hard-boiled, working stiff who does this for a job, not for fame, glory or justice (Thing, Nick Fury)

3) Secret Identity
Part of that is Name, Age (wide-eyed kid, burned out veteran, etc.) and Occupation (reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, playboy millionaire, honest cop, intrepid astronaut, scientific genius, noble doctor, hardworking boxer who never got a break, student, etc.)

4) Character Statistics
Stats are Strength, Endurance, Agility, Intelligence and Charisma. Please rank your stats in order of importance. Then, I’ll assign numbers. (Charisma means leadership, spirit, willpower, determination and self-image.)

5) Powers and Weaknesses
Please give me a rough description of what powers and weaknesses you want, and I’ll run it through the rules and turn it into a character sheet.
Playable Superheroes (as opposed to Thor or Superman) are better with less powers. This makes their abilities more special.
If you have more than one or two major superpowers, you’ll need a weakness.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2009 at 2:02pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 2:01pm:
On the other hand, if a charcter ended up too weak on the sheet, I've tried to build them up more. This helps prevent some characters always being unconscious, as per your previous email.

Either way, all sheets are approved by the PCs at the end of the creation process.

I tried secret Weaknesses in the game to create (hopefully) fun, entertaining challenges. Sometimes the PCs embrace them and the characters develop in unexpected ways. I've had them backfire too. In the case of the latter, I tried to negate or undo the Weakness asap.

If you have a magician idea, send it in! We don't have a sorceror type. We have 8 players now, but I do keep a waiting list.

5) Powers and Weaknesses
Please give me a rough description of what powers and weaknesses you want, and I’ll run it through the rules and turn it into a character sheet.
Playable Superheroes (as opposed to Thor or Superman) are better with less powers. This makes their abilities more special.
If you have more than one or two major superpowers, you’ll need a weakness.

Thanks.

Kool.

Now if a player acquires a weakness during an adventure (like Hawkeye losin' hearin' in one ear) or a failed inventin' attempt (like Beast goin' Blue), that's part o'the game. Ya hear that Carol Danvers--don't blame the GM cuz yer seventh sense didn't warn ya about Rogue!

But I could see some players getting really peezed (ta put it kindly) if they approved their character sheets and later on found out I had given em a retroactive weakness (like John Byrne sayin' that Sasquatch was really one of the Great Beasts) --just cuz the I wanted to mix things up a bit. That's what NPCs iz for!

One of the biggest lessens I learned back in my early days as a GM was not to micormanage the characters. That way if somethin' bad did happen to them, they knew it was sit'ational, not part of some master plan. But now I'm preachin'.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 10:17am
Print Post  
True. You never know how people will react. In my case, the player was unhappy about it, so I began to exit the secret weakness. Then he embraced it and was emailing me every day with his ideas on how cool it would be. Then before I could use it, he was against it again. His participation in the game was a little erratic to say the least.  Smiley

Anyway, a PC can also choose to gain a weakness in the course of their history which gives them more points with which to buy new powers/skills/etc.
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2009 at 10:25am by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 4th, 2009 at 10:17am:
In my case, the player was unhappy about it, so I began to exit the secret weakness. Then he embraced it and was emailing me every day with his ideas on how cool it would be. Then before I could use it, he was against it again. His participation in the game was a little erratic to say the least. 

Maybe da player was tryin' er best to get on board w/da weakness--to make the best of am unwanted sit-ation--then realized it just didn't work for em. At least that's what my super-therapist instincts tell me. That's what those push-pull dynamics iz often about. It's part of the Kubler-Ross bargaining stage (along w/denial, anger, and so on). It sounds like acceptance wasn't really sumthin' the character wanted.

Like I said, a few o' the surprises I tried back in the day didn't werk. I learned some lessens the hard way.

Hope I didn't strike a nerve. But in readin' yer adventure blog I could tell that--at least on the surface--it looked like some type of "tension" took place behind the scenes at some points. Hope all iz well. Hope all iz swell.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 11:25am
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Aug 4th, 2009 at 10:53am:
Hope I didn't strike a nerve.

Not at all!

SuperFriend wrote on Aug 4th, 2009 at 10:53am:
Hope all iz well. Hope all iz swell. 

Thanks!

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 1:53am
Print Post  
On the site are you going to post a character sheet for Clone/Kevin? I've luv t'see how y're handling the complexity of body doubles. Only one of the modules has someone with that power, and it's not handled very clearly in that write-up.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2009 at 1:54am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #14 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
If he turns out to be a bad guy, it'll be awhile before I can post it.
If he turns out to be a good guy, I'll post it asap.
It ended up being a cool write up.
Stay tuned!

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #15 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
I guess I misunderstood. My bad.

P.S. Bring back Viper!!!!! His romance w/the bearded lady was great!
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2009 at 10:01pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #16 - Aug 11th, 2009 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
No problem.

Viper's player had to leave when the time demands of the game got to be too much.  Sad

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #17 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
OK, OK!
The suspense is over!
Clone is a good guy, as you'll see tomorrow when the site updates.

Here's the power you requested. It was cooked up mostly by Clone's player, and lots of people on the old V&V messboard (rpg host).

Multiplicity: Clone has the rather unique ability to create one or more identical physical duplicates of himself at will through binary fission. The designation of "original" in the following power description need not be constant, and any one of the existing Clones could become the new "original" at any given time.

When a duplicate is created divide up the "original" Clone’s Hit Points equally among the duplicates and the "original", rounding off any fractions. For example: If the "original" Clone has 14 Hit Points and there are currently three duplicates in existence, then each Clone will have 4 Hit Points. Should another Clone be created, the Clones would then all have 3 Hit Points each.

To create duplicates takes one action and costs 2 Power Points per duplicate created. There is no cost to re-absorb a duplicate back into the "original" Clone, but it does require physical contact. When duplicates are reabsorbed, their Hit Points are equally redistributed among the rest of the existing Clones. The absorption process also integrates the memories, experiences, and skills of the duplicate into Clone’s own personal memories, experiences, and skills.

When created, duplicates have a number of Power Points equal to the original’s Power Points after the Power Points have been spent to create them. The duplicate’s maximum Power Point total can never exceed the normal maximum Power Point score of Clone. Re-absorbed duplicates do not pass along any remaining Power Points to the others duplicates or Clone.

The maximum number of Clones ( including the original ) that can exist at any given time are equal to the "original" Clone’s current Hit Points ( before creating duplicates ) or the combined total of Clone’s Charisma and Endurance, whichever is less.

Duplicates have all the knowledge, skills, stats and powers of the "original" ( including the Multiplicity power ) and appear wearing the same clothing that the "original" is at the time of their creation.. Any equipment or items the "original" may have been carrying at the time of the duplicates creation do not duplicate however. The duplicates fight at the "original" Clone’s skill level and never gain experience.

If a duplicate is killed, it simply vaporizes into a dark puff of smoke that dissipates quickly and leaves behind a foul odor. Witnesses to this event have described the odor as smelling similar to burned human flesh. For 24 hours after the death of a duplicate, the maximum number of Clones that can exist is reduced by one. This effect is cumulative, so the death of two duplicates would reduce the maximum number of Clones by two for 24 hours and so on.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #18 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Issue 94 (The Soviet Super Soldiers!) is completed (with everyone's replies in.)

And Issue 95 (At the Temple of Terror!) has begun!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #19 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 9:16am
Print Post  
New issue is up, and the previous one completed.

Communism, cthulhu and the cretaceous period clash! Criminy!

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #20 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Yer campaign must be set in the Reagan era!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #21 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Vanguard Issue 97: In the Kingdom of Tyrannosaurus Maximus! has shipped.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #22 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
I realize that in a live campaign you can't post secret NPC stats, but it would be fun to see any more stats that you could post of NPCs--maybe ones that were already defeated or who died and what not. Even just partial stats of some of the foes or supporting heroes would be fun--to see what powers they have, etc. No pressure.

Yer campaign issues read a lot like fan fiction, which is a hoot, so I'm enjoyin' followin' around even w/out da stats!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #23 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I think PBEM is as much a clockwork novel as an rpg.

I'll look through the archives and try to find some deceased heroes and villains to post.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #24 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Issue 98 is completed: http://vanguardhq.blogspot.com/

Our heroes find the lost synthetic superhero, Nemesis, and learn more of the fatal fate of the Freedom Force!

Earth's pre-human history is glimpsed again and our heroes face the ambush of Tyrannosaurus Maximus!
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2009 at 10:15am by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #25 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 4th, 2009 at 10:17am:
True. You never know how people will react. In my case, the player was unhappy about it, so I began to exit the secret weakness. Then he embraced it and was emailing me every day with his ideas on how cool it would be. Then before I could use it, he was against it again. His participation in the game was a little erratic to say the least

Don't beat yerself up. I'm sure other GM's have made similar mistakes that have driven players to respond eratically.

Since you  all asked me not ta leave the forum, here be one question. With those cool Savage Land animals  that Vanguard now faces, are you usin' my suggestion about modifyin' animal levles, or are you stickin' w/all animals bein' Level 4? I was just curious how things are unfoldin.

« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2009 at 9:14pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #26 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Oct 11th, 2009 at 8:50pm:
With those cool Savage Land animalsthat Vanguard now faces, are you usin' my suggestion about modifyin' animal levles, or are you stickin' w/all animals bein' Level 4? I was just curious how things are unfoldin.

No, I used your model (Ferocity affecting Level) but not the exact numbers you provided.
Thanks!

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #27 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Oct 11th, 2009 at 9:31pm:
SuperFriend wrote on Oct 11th, 2009 at 8:50pm:
With those cool Savage Land animalsthat Vanguard now faces, are you usin' my suggestion about modifyin' animal levles, or are you stickin' w/all animals bein' Level 4? I was just curious how things are unfoldin.

No, I used your model (Ferocity affecting Level) but not the exact numbers you provided.
Thanks!

Dy-No-Mite! If it wouldn't mess up anything, could you post yer chart either here or under House Rules. Somebody has to come up w/something better than having a kitty-cat at the same level as a sabertooth tiger.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #28 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Oct 11th, 2009 at 9:35pm:
Dy-No-Mite! If it wouldn't mess up anything, could you post yer chart either here or under House Rules. Somebody has to come up w/something better than having a kitty-cat at the same level as a sabertooth tiger.

Again, I'm reluctant to post sheets here since some of my players are frequent contributors to these boards.
Suffice it to say, depending on the power level of the campaign, animal Levels could equal Ferocity, Ferocity/2 or Ferocity/3.

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #29 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Oct 11th, 2009 at 11:35pm:
Again, I'm reluctant to post sheets here since some of my players are frequent contributors to these boards.Suffice it to say, depending on the power level of the campaign, animal Levels could equal Ferocity, Ferocity/2 or Ferocity/3.

My bad. I was thinking this might just be a house rule that your players might know. Thanks for sharin' what you could. Long Live Vanguard!!! Cool Smiley Grin Roll Eyes Cheesy Smiley Grin Cool
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2009 at 12:00am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #30 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:41pm:
Multiplicity: Clone has the rather unique ability to create one or more identical physical duplicates of himself at will through binary fission.

LOL. I just got the joke--calling a cloning power "rather unique" ... very funny. Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2009 at 12:29am by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #31 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 9:44am
Print Post  
SuperFriend wrote on Oct 12th, 2009 at 12:28am:
LOL. I just got the joke--calling a cloning power "rather unique" ... very funny.

Credit goes to Clone's player. He's very funny and has been a great addition to the campaign.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #32 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Issue 99 is up.

Things get worse.
And Vanguard names their new HQ!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #33 - Nov 15th, 2009 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Issue 100 is posted.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #34 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
101 is up.

The heroes have uninvited company in their base.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools

>