Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pcionics B (Read 3697 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Pcionics B
Jun 21st, 2009 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
I just finished re reading the New Teen Titans first newstand series.  I will go back and get the Baxter series in a few days.  I am sure we can all recall Pcimond, the leader of the Fearsome Five.  He had pcionics as a power, and he reminded us every panel when he said, " With my pcionics I..." then he did what ever the hell he liked.

Well I like the idea of pretty much doing what ever the hell you want with a power, and we talked about it  with Magic so I thought I would make up some rules for Pcionics B:  you can do pretty much what ever you want Power.

Pcionics A is just as the rules said,  you pick something and that is your power.  Its one of the wildcard powers that make this game so much fun.

Pcionics B is you can do what you imagine.   Here is the rules.   please keep in mind it is tailored for my house rules.

Pcionics B.  The character can do what ever they can imagine.   In order to do this they must roll Id100 to properly imagine the effect, Id20 if they have the proper knowledge to help this out.  Then they must make a successful save on Wd20 to make it happen.   The number of successes( the amount you rolled UNDER your Will) is used as a + to hit.  The number of failures ( the number ABOVE your will score) is used as a minus.   If a 20 is rolled on this roll, there is a backfire.  That is up to the GM.
    If you make both save,  you properly imagined the effect and made it happen, then you must roll to hit.   The column you used is based on the effect.   That means if you want your foe to burst into flames, you roll as flame powers.  If you want your foe to become super heavy, you roll vs gravity. 

The range is IxWx Level and the damage is 2d8.  The power cost is the same as the power being copied+2.

What do you think?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Re: Pcionics B
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Could be tricky to determine the type of attack it might be. If I imagine I want my foe's foot to explode, I might think that would roll on a power blast chart (for example) but the GM might consider it physical damage or something. Obviously the hit rolls would be very different for those attacks.

But in essence of using your imagination and creativity, I do like the notion of it.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 2:02am
Print Post  
I've had two players recently get this power, and they both came up with rather unique abilities for it. 

1. Chose to use it as a mind trap.  Essentially, he captured the target of the attack in their own mind.  It attacked as paralysis, and required a wake up roll to break free. 

2. This character had telepathy and had rolled diminished senses as a weakness.  He came up with the idea of having diminished sight, but being able to "see" through the eyes of those around him.  Basically, this gives him the ability to see things from others point of view, he can see what others are looking at, and combine that with his own vision as long as there are others around to prevent his disability from crippling him.  I thought the idea was creative and will work with him on it as he develops the character...

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jun 21st, 2009 at 2:07pm:
Pcionics B is you can do what you imagine.   Here is the rules.   please keep in mind it is tailored for my house rules.

I'm not sure you have to distinguish this as psionics B (vs. A). It's just a different take on psioncs, and allowable under the rules. The power as you describe it sounds a lot like the Omni Power option in the DC Heroes game: the character has a power that allows him to mimic the effects of other powers.

IP Logged

Harkker
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
I like it (well exept for the will stat) but also see it as just standard psionics...

still its a good way to simulate that comic power nice work.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
I was thinking of renaming it  Pcionics B "the Power Cosmic"   And explaing away everything the Silver Surfer does with this power.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
The Power Cosmic, is basically an "omni" power that lets you do whatever you think will move the storyline along.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 12:39am
Print Post  
I guess I always thought of the power cosmic as being more contained, at least in the issues w/Silver Surfer and Galactus I've read.

Power Blast
Transmutation
various heighteend senses
various heightened abilities
Adaption
Flight

That's a lot, fer sure, but there are limits.

Galactus and Silver Surfer definitely don't regenerate.
They don't turn invisible. --just to think of a few powers that might help them.
Surfer doesn't have willpower (cuz he's been mind-controlled)
The Surfer does not have invulnerability either: I can't think of how many times he gets knocked off his surf board.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Aug 17th, 2009 at 2:02am:
I've had two players recently get this power, and they both came up with rather unique abilities for it. 

1. Chose to use it as a mind trap.  Essentially, he captured the target of the attack in their own mind.  It attacked as paralysis, and required a wake up roll to break free. 

2. This character had telepathy and had rolled diminished senses as a weakness.  He came up with the idea of having diminished sight, but being able to "see" through the eyes of those around him.  Basically, this gives him the ability to see things from others point of view, he can see what others are looking at, and combine that with his own vision as long as there are others around to prevent his disability from crippling him.  I thought the idea was creative and will work with him on it as he develops the character...

First off,  Hi welcome to the Forum!

I like what you did.  Every unconventional!   How is it working with the player?  Any frustrations?    It sounds like you guys go for more role playing than hack and slash.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
So the guy has some form of Clairvoyance then?

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 12:38pm:

I like what you did.  Every unconventional!   How is it working with the player?  Any frustrations?    It sounds like you guys go for more role playing than hack and slash.

The first worked pretty well, the only true issue we had was when they were only fighting one person as a group, for instance the mega battle at the end of the adventure with Dr. Kilaton... He didn't hit that great, but when he did, the fight's pretty much over.

The second, I'm having more trouble with telepathy as a whole.  I mean he has a high Int, and he can basically probe anyone he gets close to and find out their secrets, and he does.  The rules for telepathy seem to be very all or nothing, you either succeed, or you don't... I've been having him roll to hit vs. mind control, but I'm looking for something more to show a struggle.  Should the person know they are being probed, is it painful, reactions, etc... It really is very powerful.  They are going through FORCE right now, and I've kept Brother Kinkaid's in-human-ness a secret so far, but it hasn't been easy.  Android Body, +Char, 7 lvl vs. 1st, making it hard to get through, but he is very suspicious as to why he has such a hard time "reading" this supposedly normal guy...

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:30pm:
John wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 12:38pm:

The first worked pretty well, the only true issue we had was when they were only fighting one person as a group, for instance the mega battle at the end of the adventure with Dr. Kilaton... He didn't hit that great, but when he did, the fight's pretty much over.

The second, I'm having more trouble with telepathy as a whole.  I mean he has a high Int, and he can basically probe anyone he gets close to and find out their secrets, and he does.  The rules for telepathy seem to be very all or nothing, you either succeed, or you don't... I've been having him roll to hit vs. mind control, but I'm looking for something more to show a struggle.  Should the person know they are being probed, is it painful, reactions, etc... It really is very powerful.  They are going through FORCE right now, and I've kept Brother Kinkaid's in-human-ness a secret so far, but it hasn't been easy.  Android Body, +Char, 7 lvl vs. 1st, making it hard to get through, but he is very suspicious as to why he has such a hard time "reading" this supposedly normal guy...

I hear you on this.  I use this house rule with telepathy.

If the character is just doing a surface scan, then no problem.  If the character is looking for something specific, then the telepath must roll his Id20. If the roll is under his I, then its  good.  The lower he rolls, the more info he gets.

If the one being scanned is resisting, then they both roll Id20.  The telepath must roll better than the target.  And how much better gleans him more info.

Ex.   Both players have a 16 intellgence.  Mr A scans Mr B.

A rolls a 10 so he succeeds by six and gets a lot of info.

Next round Mr B is aware and tries to resist.

They A rolls a four.  B rolls a seven.

A succeeds by 12,  B succeeds by 9.    Since A beat B by 3 he gets some info,  about half as much as he did last turn.   Make sense?

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #12 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 12:26am
Print Post  
I like it, does B know A is probing him? Any kind of detect roll/indication?  His INT is near 40, so a roll vs. 20 is not any kind of problem.  I've been thinking about having him do some kind of battle via an "Astral" plane with another powerful telepath... I like the idea of them having something like the "Omni" powers I've seen on this board or the Psionics power, where they can basically create whatever they want in a battle there.  Just something I've been considering, nothing on paper...

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Sep 9th, 2009 at 12:26am:
I like it, does B know A is probing him? Any kind of detect roll/indication?  His INT is near 40, so a roll vs. 20 is not any kind of problem.  I've been thinking about having him do some kind of battle via an "Astral" plane with another powerful telepath... I like the idea of them having something like the "Omni" powers I've seen on this board or the Psionics power, where they can basically create whatever they want in a battle there.  Just something I've been considering, nothing on paper...

If  A botches his roll, either a 20 or rolls over his Intellegence then B will know if B rolls under his intellegence.

So if A fails and B fails then  B is none the wiser

But if A fails and B succeeds then B knows something is going on.

IP Logged

>