Normal Topic Solid Hit (Read 1630 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Solid Hit
Jul 9th, 2009 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
  I have been rolling this idea around in my head for years. I have never actually played it, and this is the first time I am writing it down.  Let me know what you think.

If you rolled to hit ten or more better than you actually needed to hit, then its a "solid" hit and the damage can not be rolled with.

Sometimes that punch in the face is just so on target that you can not roll with the punch no matter what.   

With level vs level bonuses and other rules I use like dodge and evasion,  the punchee's duty is to make it so that the puncher can not hit with a lower die roll by ten or more.   

Example;  Beast Man goes to punch Lady Green.  With all his pluses and all her defences he needs to roll a 14 or lower to hit.  He rolls a 3.  Since he rolled  over ten points lower than he needed, its a good solid hit and Lady Green can not roll with the punch.  Its a solid gut shot.  That sends her reeling!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Re: Solid Hit
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Great idea, and helps speed up combat.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
We use the  natural 1 equals double damage, and a natural 20 is a botch rule.

Keep in mind, with the solid hit rule, you may do double damage, but it may not be a solid hit unless it fits the better than ten rule.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2009 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
I was also thinking of using the opposite of this, say you swing and miss by more than ten,  you may strike your friends or your powerblast goes astray.

I was thinking of replacing the stray shot rules in the book with something like this.

IP Logged

Paul
Galactus

It's all about blowin'
shit up.

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2009 at 1:22am
Print Post  
You are then making knockout rolls very powerful in my opinion. And I don't care for the "striking your friends" with a bad hit roll that's not a 20. That's what 20's are for!

Anyway, I think my point is, making an attack one that someone cannot roll with is actually pretty powerful in my opinion, and should actually be considered a power in it's own right. Look at my current character Ellusion. If he was unable to roll with punches, he'd be in a ton of trouble.

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself -- Steven Segal

IP Logged

>