Normal Topic Rolled vs assigned (Read 938 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Rolled vs assigned
Jul 11th, 2009 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
  For the past few years, I have been assigning the NPC's stats as I saw fit.  Very rarely did I roll out anything.    If they had Heightend Strength, I picked the number to add to the attribute that I had picked.  The past few games  I began realise that the villains  I  have been making up are wussess.    So today I rolled out everything but the level.  I wanted to assign that still.    I assigned the powers too, as I had a concept in mind,  but everything else is rolled out.  The strentghs, the heightened attributes, etc... 

And they are not wussess...hehe...

I made about ten new villains today for the next few adventures and I updated a few sheets for NPCs that I have been using often ( chess agents, friendly heroes).

Now to write up the actual adventure!

This brings me to a question, when you make up NPC's, do you roll out everything?  Assign everything, or a bit of each?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Re: Rolled vs assigned
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Bring 'em on......

IP Logged

SuperFriend
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Back in the day, I usually picked the starting SEAIC attributes and powers. But for fun, I would randomly roll the bonuses for heightened abilities, heightened speed, invulnerability, etc., and the charges/ranges on devices. With robots/androids it was a hoot to see how human they looked (and how much heavier a robot was and the amount of internal repair the android had. If I wanted to assign a reduced ability, I'd randomly roll how low it was.

If a strange virus or radiation was unleashed into the populous, I would randomly roll what powers/weanesses were incurred. It was fun.

Early, early on, one campaign one of the players wanted to know what heroes were active across the globe. I hadn't throught things through that far at the time. So the players and I decided to sit down and basically decide about how many active heroes there should be in different parts of the world, then randomly rolled their powers (assuming that would be in their superhero database). I think I went later on and randomly rolled up everyone's stats. There was something very fresh about not orchestrating everything.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2009 at 9:47pm by SuperFriend »  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
I toll the stats and abilities, but pick the level of the NPCs & villains based on the level of the characters involved. As for the actual rolls themselves, I use the roll four dice, and drop the lowest roll for super-powered beings, and he standard 3d6 for everyone else.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

>