Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Base/HQ (Read 3760 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Base/HQ
Sep 21st, 2009 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Base/HQ: The character has a base or headquarters. The base is equipped with 1d4 special features. Additional features may be incorporated into the structure using the standard inventing points rules. Sound reasonable?

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: Base/HQ
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that I allow players to pool their inventing points for things like team vehicles and/or HQ, as I think that it's fair for them to pool resources for items that everyone will use.

YIM  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
I definitely see the pool thing... after all most inventions are a pool of ideas and tech (or nowdays... tech and further ideas)

Kites into...
Gliders into...
Planes propelled...
Then jet engines
Don't forget radios
Then tracking systems
Now they can be robot flown...
THAT... certainly wasn't one person!

G7

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
I agree that players should certainly be able to pool their inventing for such things.  Customarily I've/we've just provided bases for the teams, or the teams have acquired them on their own.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Sep 22nd, 2009 at 6:09pm:
Customarily I've/we've just provided bases for the teams, or the teams have acquired them on their own.

I think either method would work, but I don't want them getting to many freebies. I figure if they get a free base, they should at least pay for any upgrades made to the facility. But, I'm all for the GM using whatever he feels most comfortable with.

YIM  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Which is why in my case using the Crusader Citadel is boon for game play.

Anyone ever try to do a team from the ground up?
Building a base... securing the property, gaining government approval, building it, furnishing it, creating defenses for(defending) it and ultimately repairing or improving it?

What about vehicles? particularly any manner of aircraft. Anyone ever lose one (Though not permanently destroyed... damaged)? What about fixing it? Who does that? Do the chara oversee every detail of it's repair (or do it themselves)? Even something as silly as repairing dents and paint jobs?

I know this sounds incredibly elaborate... but in a functioning world these are things to consider.

My Crusaders team basically had a internal task force of PC/NPCs that dealt with this. Everyone had to help (Cause they were a team).
I actually did a side-story where Dreamweaver extended herself too far... and ended up collapsing during combat (even though her End was good in my game). She had been attending school, trying to have a social life, helping battle villains, the Citadel had been damaged and was helping with that and she just pushed herself TOO far with too many projects.
Dreamweaver probably would have been fine... if not for the fact that the Citadel had to be taken care of... they couldn't just have ANY ole repairman come in and fix the place (masked heroes don't tend to trust very easily and of course spying is a huge threat to that mask).

Eventually in my game the Crusaders got heavy assistance from C.H.E.S.S. and M.E.D.U.S.A.- Even though for a short time an Agent Henry Gyrich kind of story played in the background (See Avengers in the #175-upper 180s).

Bases are important. It is the one safe refuge the PC/NPCs had. It is a vital piece for any group that calls themselves a team.

G7

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Our PCs are incredibly paranoid about bases, as in the past the security has been compromised too many times.  One visiting player remarked that we were the most paranoid group he'd ever seen!

Currently, our PCs are strongly considering leaving their main base (under the Tidal Basin in Washington, D.C.) and relocating to the Moon.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Bases are always fun.
The amount of varied bases out there is staggering in the superhero world (Both for them and villains).

I wonder how many (villain) charred bases there are that SHIELD or STAR Labs had to clean up after?

If I had to choose my favorite bases...

JLA orbiting sattilight would have to be one of my all time favorites.
The Avengers Mansion is gorgeous (Especially when Perez drew it).
The Fantastic Four's Baxter Building is a pinnacle base. Just the ultimate in urban cooliness! With Reed having what seemed like 1/3 as his toyroom! Trez COOL!
The Titan's Tower is just as cool and I loved it being close yet isolated.
X-Men's Mansion is cool... but it just became too much as they became more popular. I never felt like a school except for the early days.
Avengers' West Coast Compound... possibly the worst in the Marvel Universe. I hated it.
Champions Building. much like the Baxter Building... though not nearly as cool (and certainly with it's problems).
The Justice Society's Brownstone was cool. Just not really all that fleshed out.
I loved the concept of the Liberty Legion's base... only it was even less fleshed out than the JSA's.
Challengers of the Unknown ALWAYS had an underrated base. I think it was an absolute marvel... and I always wished after the JLA had lost their sattilight that hey had used it (with the Challengers there). Course I wouldn't have minded seeing Doom Patrol use it as well.
Iron Man's secret hideaway on Stark Enterprise property was so well done by Bob Layton. I loved that place with all the armors adorning the walls.
The Presence's base (in russia) is pretty cool from the Defenders.
Dr Doom's Latveria castle is as well.
Magneto's original astroid M was super cool.
So was Brainiac's flying Octo-base.

But the cake truely has to go to the ultra cool base of the Legion of Super-Heroes (and the Legion Training Academy).

There are some truely great examples of bases for heroes (and villains) to be inspired by.
Though making them function and workable is a wholly different story for a RPG.
All those cool drawings in a Comic can remain pointless... in a game... they have to have some sort of meaning. Cause they are actual fixtures (to be at times thrown) in a game.

Fun stuff. I could go on and on about the world of superheroes and the importance of stuff of this manner.

G7
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 5:37pm by Guardian7 »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 2:44am
Print Post  
So, has anyone used, or considered using this? I'd like to get some feedback, and see if it's feasible.

YIM  
IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
sounds reasonable. I like the idea of team mates helping to pay for upgrades and such on bases and vehicles

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Ryxis47
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 23rd, 2009 at 2:04pm:
Building a base... securing the property, gaining government approval, building it, furnishing it, creating defenses for(defending) it and ultimately repairing or improving it?

This is how are campaign is going to start. Im going to start them off as poor college students (what they are anyway) and have them develop from there in St. Louis.

They won't even start with costumes. They will still eventually get them for free but only if they want them. They will have zero media attention or government support until they earn it or stumble upon it. Depending on their actions they could be seen as a menace or dangerous vigilantes in the very beginning. The idea is to start off small and give them a level of freedom. If they want to be heroes they will have to make that decision and earn it from the public.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #11 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Ryxis47 wrote on Oct 14th, 2010 at 8:21pm:
Guardian7 wrote on Sep 23rd, 2009 at 2:04pm:

This is how are campaign is going to start. Im going to start them off as poor college students (what they are anyway) and have them develop from there in St. Louis.

They won't even start with costumes. They will still eventually get them for free but only if they want them. They will have zero media attention or government support until they earn it or stumble upon it. Depending on their actions they could be seen as a menace or dangerous vigilantes in the very beginning. The idea is to start off small and give them a level of freedom. If they want to be heroes they will have to make that decision and earn it from the public.

Sounds like a good (and realistic) way to start a campaign!   Smiley

IP Logged

Dr.Demented
Teen Titan

who knows what evil lurks
in heart of man

Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 10:05am
Print Post  
yes that is a cool way to start a campaign.  I like the way that G7 used the Cursader's citidel for his group to continue with  Grin

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #13 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Dr.Demented wrote on Feb 10th, 2011 at 10:05am:
yes that is a cool way to start a campaign.  I like the way that G7 used the Cursader's citidel for his group to continue with  Grin

It's brilliant (and it allows one to have the base fully fleshed out and defined, already done by somebody else!).

I daresay that the Guardians' current base - located underground and under the Tidal Basin in Washington, D.C., where they've been for well over a decade - has yet to be defined and drawn out.

The first base the Guardians had was similar (in that it came in an adventure module), though it was taken from the bad guys instead of the good guys.  They took up residence in the Organizer's base from Organized Crimes.

IP Logged

Kap
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #14 - May 5th, 2012 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
In the Champions game I'm still running (set in 1960), none of the PCs has much in the way of resources so to date they have no team vehicles, no communications devices, and they operate out of a disused bomb shelter near Greenwich Village which is on loan from the city. They would love to upgrade!

I find building from the ground up is a lot of fun and makes the PCs treat their bases, vehicles, and gadgets with great care.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #15 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 10:49am
Print Post  
While I'm thinking about it, would you guys like to see some ideas for some equipment/gear bases could be outfitted with. Say things like a training/danger room, hanger bay, submarine pins, AI computer system, defense system, holding/detention cells, med bays, etc.? As I've got some ideas about how they could be worked out.

YIM  
IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #16 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Send 'em on Out!!

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #17 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 2:09am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Apr 12th, 2013 at 10:49am:
While I'm thinking about it, would you guys like to see some ideas for some equipment/gear bases could be outfitted with. Say things like a training/danger room, hanger bay, submarine pins, AI computer system, defense system, holding/detention cells, med bays, etc.? As I've got some ideas about how they could be worked out.

Certainly!  I'm using this for my NEW GOD'S game...
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2013 at 2:11am by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #18 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 11:11am
Print Post  
OK, these are just rough drafts for ideas, but let me know what you think so far.

Auto Defense System - An Auto Defense System is a system of electronic defensive countermeasures and weapons designed to enhance the security of a facility. It includes a number of weapons systems, electronic sensors, and passive defense measures. As long as the facility has power, the system will remain active.

a) Point Defense System - A series of energy weapons located at various positions around the perimeter of the facility, provide defense against unauthorized access. The energy weapons may also be used to engage missiles and other large projectiles, with the appropriate penalties applied to the to-hit roll. The weapons are +4 to hit, due to a computerized targeting system, attack as Power Blast, and inflict 2d8 damage.

b) Force Screen - A force field system designed to protect the facility from attack. The field surrounds the facility providing 360 degree defense against attacks. Unlike normal force fields, this field has SR of 20. If more than 20 points of damage are inflicted in a single attack, the field is disrupted, and takes 1-3 turns to reset.

c) Sensor Suite - Acts as Heightened Senses providing a base 80% chance to detect hidden with the facility, and a 75% chance to detect danger within a 100" range outside the facility's perimeter. A skilled operator (Someone with an appropriate background, or who’s spent time training with the system), by increase their chances by up to 15%.

Other measures could include, but are not limited to electrification fields (attacks as Lightning Control, with a Paralysis Ray carrier attack) designed to incapacitate intruders, knock-out/sleeping gas (Attacks as Poison/Venom), Mystical Wards, Power Dampening Fields (GMs should take care as to how effective the field would be, as it could be unbalancing on game effects), ECM Systems (Invisibility, but only vs. electronic devices). GMs and players should feel free to experiment. As long as the players can articulate their desires to the GM, and it doesn’t unbalance the game, I say run with it.

YIM  
IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Reply #19 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Flood sections of the HQ with a paralysis or devitalization gas as non lethal method to handle intruders. Totally admit to it being a Star Trek rip off Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2013 at 11:18am by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #20 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Hmm.. ok.. since these "picks" cost Invention points pooled.. how about these as well...

Computer Library - Database of known villains - powers and abilities [ Int Save {1IP}, Int x2 {2IP}, Int x4 {3IP} ] on Success -  Invention roll by Team leader to give All Team members a +1Accuracy in Battle with Villain in database for next 24 hours

Medical Facility  -  Heal Rate counts a medical Assistance INT 10 {1IP}, INT 20 {2 IP}, INT 40 {3IP}

Science Lab  -  Considered "Skilled" in a field of Technical knowledge for designing a technological invention {1IP}, Half Research Time & Cost for Design of an Invention {2IP}, 1/4th Research Time and Cost for Design of an invention {3IP}

Arcane Lab  -  Considered "Skilled" in a field of Arcane knowledge for designing a magical invention {1IP}, Half Research Time & Cost for Design of an Invention {2IP}, 1/4th Research Time and Cost for Design of an invention {3IP}

Staff  - An allotment of staff npc's to run the facility, clean maintenance, and assist in field operations - 1st level {1IP},  2nd level {2IP}, 4th level {3IP}

Structure  - Base is Fortified against outside assault or damage - ADR50 / SR 5 {1IP}, ADR 100 / SR 10 {2IP}, ADR 200 / SR 20 {3IP}

Tech Workshop  - A  facility for the construction of Inventions, 1/2 Cost for construction of Invention {1IP}, 1/2 Time to construct invention {2IP}, Invention roll INT x 6% for complete invention {3IP}

Arcane Sanctum  - A  facility for the enchanting of Inventions or learning spells, 1/2 Cost for enchantment/learning of Invention/spell {1IP}, 1/2 Time to enchantment/learning invention/spell {2IP}, Invention roll INT x 6% for complete invention/spell {3IP}

Training Room  - A facility for TEAM TRAINING bonus to gain from practice  in mock combat situations to practice their teamwork. 
- Training bonus is per level advancement of training together as a team to a maximum of 1/10th INT score of Team leader.  Training is considered to be a bonus training increase in addition to normal level training
- Training must be maintained, each month not regular twice a week training the bonus fades by -1 to each training bonus
{Yes that means you will have to level to regain the bonus... but you do loose accrued bonuses it just takes a level for you to recall your team members 'moves'... Maintain your training... or else!}
{1IP} Gain +1Accurcacy w/Team
{2IP} Gain +1Damage w/Team
{3IP} Gain +1 Initiative w/Team

Vehicle Bay  - A assortment of ground Vehicles for team use {1IP}, Air Vehicles {2IP}, Water & Space Vehicles {3IP}
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2013 at 1:25pm by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #21 - May 14th, 2013 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Gee, my last group just adapted a disused fallout shelter to their needs. The price was right. But then, the campaign world didn't have any "super-tech," just what was available in the real world with maybe a couple upgrades but nothing wacky like invisible jets and teleportation tubes.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #22 - Oct 29th, 2023 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Bumping this up for use in an upcoming game. It may see some modifications and/or additions as the game draws nearer.

YIM  
IP Logged

>