Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) V&V Errata? (Read 5125 times)
Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

V&V Errata?
Sep 27th, 2009 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
I never had the box set of V&V 2nd edition.
Did it come with an errata sheet?

If so, and if you have it, could you please share it here?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: V&V Errata?
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 12:09am
Print Post  
I have the Boxed set, and no, there is no official errata, Dr.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 12:57am
Print Post  
My boxed set came with a small errata sheet. I lost the sheet decades ago but remember that all of the changes were minor.

The only item that stands out is that the range for Mind Control is: (Intelligence + Charisma) divided by 5 inches ... rather than (I x C)/5" (p. 15).

All of the published materials I've seen follow the I + C formula, so the correction appears to have been applied consistently.

There may have been a note as well that the range for Emotion Control is Intelligence inches instead of 1" (p. 12)--although that typo is relatively easy to spot.

Published characters with Emotion Control consistently use Intelligence for the range, so this correction was applied consistently as well.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009 at 1:19am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 10:47am
Print Post  
In the Updated V & V rules that Jeff Dee put out there were a lot of new rules but one that smacked more as an errata. The Hit Point Modifiers Table for Strength and Agility, as printed in the revised edition (which may or may not be the same as first edition?? idk..I don't have 1st edition), should be switched. The modifiers listed for Agility should be used for Strength and vice versa. The Strength modifiers were meant to give higher modifiers than agility.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 11:10am
Print Post  
The 1982 agility/strength modifiers were applied consistently throughout all of the published resources in the 1980s, with no note of changing them on the official errata sheet in the boxed set.

So I'd see his Jeff Dee's recent suggestion (which many players already use) as a recommended update rather than a correction--just as his new cash and experience rules are suggested updates rather than corrections.

Hit Point modifiers were handled very differently in the 1st edition. But like the 1982 edition, dexterity (agility) increases hit points at a greater rate than strength in that edition as well--except that dexterity modifiers max out much sooner than strength.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009 at 11:11am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Sep 28th, 2009 at 11:10am:
The 1982 agility/strength modifiers were applied consistently throughout all of the published resources in the 1980s, with no note of changing them on the official errata sheet in the boxed set.

So I'd see his Jeff Dee's recent suggestion (which many players already use) as a recommended update rather than a correction--just as his new cash and experience rules are suggested updates rather than corrections.

Hit Point modifiers were handled very differently in the 1st edition. But like the 1982 edition, dexterity (agility) increases hit points at a greater rate than strength in that edition as well--except that dexterity modifiers max out much sooner than strength.

Exactly.  Those are all "recommendations", but were not official "errata", and you can see that by looking at all of the stuff that was published (over 30 modules and supplements) where they used the modifiers as shown in the rulebook.

As for those two minor typos, what's weird is that I've seen rulebooks with them wrong, and rulebooks with them right ((I think), so they must have discovered it at some point and in later printings corrected that.  Perhaps at the point they did that, it meant they no longer needed to put the errata sheet in the box.

Oh, and I just remembered, I actually recently got a second boxed set (for free).  It basically came from my wife, who spotted it somewhere where they were cleaning out a second hand store that was shutting down.  In it was only a rulebook, a couple of orange dice, and a copy of Crisis.  Since that one was second hand, it makes sense that there was no paperwork included (but the one I bought still has all of the paperwork that came with it, which wasn't much).

As far as errata, it is telling to me that they never "corrected" the huge gap between 16th Level and 17th Level.  A friend of mine is convinced that was a typo, but we've always used it as if it was intentional (suggesting that it took a great deal of work to make it to 17th and beyond).

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Sep 28th, 2009 at 10:56pm:
As far as errata, it is telling to me that they never "corrected" the huge gap between 16th Level and 17th Level.  A friend of mine is convinced that was a typo, but we've always used it as if it was intentional (suggesting that it took a great deal of work to make it to 17th and beyond).

I don't remember if the 16th-17th level experience chasm appeared on my errata sheet. Either way, I believe it was a typo for the following reasons.

The original edition doesn't print the experience chart totals but instead says that it takes 2,000 xp to move from 1st level to 2nd level, then another 3,000 xp to get to 3rd level .... and another 15,000 to get to 15th level, and another 16,000 to get to 16th level, and another 17,000 to get to 17th level, etc., without a break in the pattern.

In the revised rules, the experience chart totals show that moving from 15th to 16th level requires 16,000 xp, yet moving from 16th to 17th level requires 77,000 xp--making it very easy to deconstruct what happened. Someone was typing the numbers into a calculator and accidentally added 77,000 instead of 17,000--and no one double checked those figures.

Further, it takes only 18,000 xp to reach 18th level, etc.--with no mention of 16th-17th levels holding any special significance.

That said, I have no problems with any hero doing a little extra time at 16th level.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009 at 11:18pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Thanks.
Yeah, the 17th level thing seems like a typo to me too.

Also, Heightened Senses.
It says:
'It is impossible to gain several sensory bonuses from the same power; the GM should give the character enough bonuses to make this truly a super power.'

But that sentence makes more sense read like this:
'It is possible to gain several sensory bonuses from the same power; the GM should give the character enough bonuses to make this truly a super power.'
...especially given the last clause of the sentence.
Also, Lightning Fist in the 2nd edition rules has 4 heightened senses under that one power.

Thanks everyone.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Sep 29th, 2009 at 7:52am:
'It is possible to gain several sensory bonuses from the same power; the GM should give the character enough bonuses to make this truly a super power.'

My copy of the 1982 rules includes the word 'possible' ... as noted above. That said, Lightning-Fist is something of an anomally. Most published characters with that power list only one heightened sense. For example, Mace from the Crisis module has tracking; numerous other charactes have only night vision.

As with any wildcard power, the strength of heightened senses can vary depending on the scope of the campaign, the character's motif and other abilities, and power balance within the game.
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2009 at 11:01am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #9 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Sep 29th, 2009 at 11:00am:
My copy of the 1982 rules includes the word 'possible' 

Really? Wow.
Do you know what printing it is? Does it mention it on the legal page?

I think I have a first edition.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #10 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Curious about this after a recent discussion on the subject.
Polar Boy is right about the amount of powers stacked under one heading.
Lightning Fist is the odd man out in the Hgt. Senses ability (Probably because this was still early on in the game re-inception).
I believe if there is a true or obvious calling for stacking of senses, there should be no issues with it. Though I do believe with some senses such as let's say night vision... there should (Possibly) be some PR hit per hour as flight (as they switch their senses... it isn't like their vision is any different than ours unless stated
EXAMPLE: Always sees in the ultraviolet spectrum
It is my opinion they turn on the ability... if not the ability could actually work against them...
EXAMPLE 2: If some hero always had infra-vision or saw in the infrared spectrum... they would be at a disadvantage in the daytime if they could not shut it off, as heat sources would balloon in magnitude.
EXAMPLE 3: Super hearing would be a disadvantage if the hero always heard at SUPER HEARING level, the world would be a swarm of noise to them.
I don't see much difference in and why some senses have have PRs and some don't (like many of those listed in the Hgt Senses descriptions).
Telepathy is listed as a paranormal sense... the ability of one to sense the minds of others. Using this power they can superiorly emulate the ability of what Lightning Fist does, only within an immediate range.
SIDE NOTE: I had one tricky Telepath get Hgt Senses and used it as an extended telepathic tracking... I.E; he could track residual thoughts/impressions even after the person was out of his range. But lots of things could muck it up. He had to be able to continuously lock on something that had the residual impressions upon it (A recently worn piece of clothing or some object of thiers). I considered this a power in and of itself just because the forces of nature could not wipe this easily away (But he had to deal with the residual patterns that were left everywhere).

Animals (mutant or human-hybrid types) seem to be the ones who probably would gain the most senses (because... well... it makes sense). As Polar Boy stated most of the time this sense is like "Night Vision", but animals (unlike humans) rely more on their other senses... but these are usually are used in the pursuit of food or warning of danger so they can flee (Though a case could probably be made for human trained Guard Dogs).
I would love to hear everyone's opinion on this stuff and more on their own thoughts of this "loose end" power.

G7

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #11 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Because our book always said "impossile," this power was always pretty weak in our games.
Today, I'd make it as powerful/useful as Power Blast, Flight, Adaptation or any other super power.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #12 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
As far as Heightened Senses goes, you're also forgetting about Tomahawk, from to Tackle the TOTEM. His Heightened Senses provide him with three separate abilities:

a. Tracking Ability: Save vs INT on 1d20, -1 per hour old trail. If trail lost, can make detect hidden roll to pick it up again.
b. Sixth Sense: 3x Detect Danger
c. Night Vision: Self Explanatory

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #13 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Sep 29th, 2009 at 2:43pm:
Because our book always said "impossile," this power was always pretty weak in our games.
Today, I'd make it as powerful/useful as Power Blast, Flight, Adaptation or any other super power.

Here's a telling piece of information. In Jeff Dee's point-based character-building system for V&V, just one heightened sense is equivalent to two-thirds of a standard power in most cases.

Dee assigns most standard powers, such as Telepathy and Adaption, a cost of 15 (i.e. the cost of adding 15 points to one ability score).

Night vision, lie detection, tracking, and most other heightened senses cost 10 points each; X-ray vision and radar stand out at 15 points apiece.

That tells us that, from the current view of one of the game's co-creators, Lightning-Fist's fourfold heightened senses would be equivalent to adding 40 points to an ability score or receiving approx. 2.67 standard powers.

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2009 at 10:51pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #14 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks, PB!

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #15 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Well I think it should be taken by a case by case.
I think det danger boosts of beyond x2 as a power...
tracking can also be considered a power (especially if it essentially allows a character to find a hiding villain or locate them)
The ability to see at night is an exception visual power (walk around in the dark and see if you wouldn't feel at an advantage against someone if you could see as well as in the day, what are the minus to hit for a person in total darkness?) - let alone it's cousins, ultra, infra or x-ray.

I am sure there are many MANY other examples.
I think it is an easy power to take advantage of... though I have at times felt that way about Body Power as well.

Nice conversation piece.

G7

IP Logged

>