Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How have you used the Tarot Masters Major Arcana (Read 3279 times)
The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

How have you used the Tarot Masters Major Arcana
Oct 17th, 2009 at 9:52am
Print Post  
I love the concept of the Organization but the Major Arcana appears to be lacking.

Were you able to use them as is (with or without a name change)?

Tarot Masters Major Arcana:

Mr Norman (or Mr Noman - depending of which is the typo)
The Fool
Justice Avenger
Diablo
The Priestess
Moonfire
Tower
Unnamed Dimensional Traveler

Others I have added from existing V&V material (and what they represent)

Nomad (Hanged Man - he is the Dimension Traveler which discovered the VINE)
Terra-rizer (Earth)
Whiteout and Bora (Lovers)

I have not introduced them into a campaign yet because I can't get past Mr. Norman.  Stefan Jones has been a wonderful contributor of rules to V&V.  If a new compilation of V&V rules came out combining all the rules from the modules with the rulebook.  I bet Mr. Jones would have 1/3 of the rules.

Unfortunately, Stefan Jones must not like superheroes at all.  A few silly names shows humor but 90%+ of his characters have silly, zaney, or flat out stupid names.  That has to be contempt.

Mr. Norman has to be the worse!  Stefan's coolest creation has the worse leader in all of Superhero RPGs!!! and that is saying a lot!!!

« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2009 at 8:37am by The Cougar »  

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Re: How have you used the Tarot Masters Major Arcana
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
I have made the Tarot Masters in their entirety.
All of the Major and Minor Arcana are done.
I used them quite a bit as Justice Avenger became a major player in my campaign (and love interest of PC Wraith… She was once the former super heroine from Pennsylvania called Wondra).
I will comment more on them more when I get to the Pentacle Plot Mod.

If anyone wants a pretty accurate description of what the Major Arcana represent here they are.

0. The Foolish Man.--Folly, Expiation, Wavering; R. Hesitation, Instability, Trouble arising herefrom.
1. The Juggler.--Will, Will-Power, Dexterity; R. Will applied to evil ends, Weakness of Will, Cunning, Knavishness.
2. The High Priestess.--Science, Wisdom, Knowledge, Education; R. Conceit, Ignorance, Unskilfulness, Superficial Knowledge.
3. The Empress.--Action, Plan, Undertaking Movement in a matter, Initiative; R. Inaction, Frittering away of power, Want of Concentration Vacillation.
4. The Emperor.--Realisation, Effect, Development; R. Stoppage, Check, Immature, Unripe.
5. The Hierophant or Pope. Mercy, Beneficence Kindness, Goodness; R. Over-kindness, weakness, Foolish exercise of generosity.
6. The Lovers.--Wise Dispositions, Proof, Trials Surmounted; R. Unwise Plans, Failure when put to the test.
7. The Chariot.--Triumph, Victory, Overcoming obstacles; R. Overthrown, Conquered by Obstacles at the last moment.
8. Themis, or Justice. Equilibrium, Balance, Justice; R. Bigotry, Want of Balance, Abuse of Justice, Over-severity, Inequality, Bias.
9. The Hermit.--Prudence, Caution, Deliberation; R. Over-prudence, Timorousness, Fear.
10. The Wheel of Fortune.--Good Fortune, Success, Unexpected Luck; R. Ill-Fortune, Failure, Unexpected Ill-Luck.
11. Strength, or Fortitude.--Power, Might, Force, Strength, Fortitude; R. Abuse of Power, Overbearingness, Want of Fortitude.
12. The Hanged Man.--Self-sacrifice, Sacrifice, Devotion, Bound; R. Selfishness, Unbound, Partial sacrifice.
13. Death.--Death, Change, Transformation, Alteration for the worse; R. Death just escaped, Partial change, Alteration for the better.
14. Temperance.--Combination, Conformation, Uniting; R. Ill-advised combinations, Disunion, Clashing interests, &c.
15. The Devil.--Fatality for Good; R. Fatality for Evil.
16. The Lightning-struck Tower.--Ruin, Disruption, Over-throw, Loss, Bankruptcy; R. These in a more or less partial degree.
17. The Star.--Hope, Expectation, Bright promises; R. Hopes not fulfilled, Expectations disappointed or fulfilled in a minor degree.
18. The Moon.--Twilight, Deception, Error; R. Fluctuation, slight Deceptions, Trifling Mistakes.
19. The Sun.--Happiness, Content, Joy; R. These in a minor degree.
20. The Last Judgment.--Renewal, Result, Determination of a Matter; R. Postponement of Result, Delay, Matter re-opened later.
21. The Universe.--Completion, Good Reward; R. Evil Reward, or Recompense.

The first line is the good aspect… the second is the reverse of that (bad).

Cya

G7

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
The Cougar wrote on Oct 17th, 2009 at 9:52am:
I love the concept of the Organization but the Major Arcana appears to be lacking.

Unfortunately, Stefan Jones must not like superheroes at all.  A few silly names shows humor but 90%+ of his characters have silly, zaney, or flat out stupid names.  That has to be contempt.

Mr. Norman has to be the worse!  Stefan's coolest creation has the worse leader in all of Superhero RPGs!!! and that is saying a lot!!!

Agreed.  His concept and basic organization was top notch, but many of his characters were way too silly, goofy, wacky, and zany for my tastes.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
The Major Arcana of the Tarot Masters if one of our main organizations, though they're not one of the top tier "bad guy groups".  They show up from time to time with interesting and mysterious goals and projects.  Here's who we've used:

Mr Noman
The Fool
Justice-Avenger
Diablo
Priestess
Moonflash
Tower

(all as per the module and supplement)

also, I've made a few more myself, or brought them from other NPCs in the campaign:

Empress: character I made up
Hierophant: I took an old villain from our campaign called the Paladin and turned him into Hierophant.  Interestly enough, when the new Living Legends adventure came out, the main villain (a European magic user) was named Heirophant, so I think this guy is going to change his name to the Pope.
Hermit: Scuz from The Dawn of DNA joined and changed his name.
Strength: This was the first character I made up and added to this group; I used the image of this big, multi-armed Amphibious character from Champions (I think he's called Grond).
Hanged Man: I made up a cool character that literally looks like a zombie hanging from a rope who floats around in a chair; he's particularly creepy.
Death: Skeletal character I made.  The most commonly used name for bad guys in our campaign (there have been three villains that use that moniker, including this guy and one of the Four Horsemen from Super Crooks and Criminals).
Daystar: I think that's her name.  She is a character made by one of our other player/GMs (the guy who has the Tarot Masters as his main "bad guy group"); she showed up originally with the name of Flaming Star, which happened to be the name of the only PC my wife ever played (in the campaign, many years previous); because of that this villainess changed her name.

The rest of the spots remain vacant, available for GMs to create and use as they wish.

IP Logged

Paul Sunderland
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 4:38am
Print Post  
For anyone who might be interested, Kardiac over at Superbuddies has put together a collection of Tarot cards of the Major Arcana.  You can find it in Kardiac's Kabaret, here:

http://www.superbuddies.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11871

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2009 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Paul Sunderland wrote on Oct 21st, 2009 at 4:38am:
For anyone who might be interested, Kardiac over at Superbuddies has put together a collection of Tarot cards of the Major Arcana.  You can find it in Kardiac's Kabaret, here:

http://www.superbuddies.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11871

So which forum is Kardiac's Kabaret in? (this link takes you to the main page only).

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

Paul Sunderland
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
That's weird, I clicked on it and it took me straight to the images.  Ah well.  Kardiac's Kabaret is a sub-forum of the Superbuddies Staff Quarters.  Once you're in the Kabaret the topic you're looking for is 'The Tarot (Major Arcana)'.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Paul Sunderland wrote on Oct 22nd, 2009 at 6:25pm:
That's weird, I clicked on it and it took me straight to the images.  Ah well.  Kardiac's Kabaret is a sub-forum of the Superbuddies Staff Quarters.  Once you're in the Kabaret the topic you're looking for is 'The Tarot (Major Arcana)'. 

I think since I'm not a member, I can't view anything at all.  When I go to the "Superbuddies Staff Quarters" it tells me "There are no topics or posts in this forum."    Cry

IP Logged

Paul Sunderland
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Damn!  Well I'd suggest signing up just for all the excellent character art on offer but if you don't want to that's fair enough.  Sorry 'bout that.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 1:05am
Print Post  
I have turned them into Pentacrime.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Paul Sunderland wrote on Oct 23rd, 2009 at 8:15pm:
Damn!  Well I'd suggest signing up just for all the excellent character art on offer but if you don't want to that's fair enough.  Sorry 'bout that.

You know, I thought I did before, but none of my usual password combinations seem to work.  I'll have to look at my notes at home to see if I have been there before.

Good to know it has good artwork, though; that's always a plus!    Smiley

IP Logged

>