Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ode to Heightened Intelligence A (Read 15296 times)
Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Re: Ode to Heightened Intelligence A
Reply #70 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 6:39pm:
Comicbook style Cosmic Awareness: there are a bunch of examples. 

What is comicbook style cosmic awareness? I don't know any of the examples above except the watcher? I don't hear that term used much? Does it mean psychic? Like Destiny of the old Brotherhood and Dream Girl of the legion? Or Guinan from Star Trek? Or a crystal ball? Or omniscient? There are lots of those characters in comics. Is that cosmic awareness?

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #71 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Kurt,
No one knows what cosmic awarness comic style is.  It is undefined.  Its like trying to define the power cosmic.   Once the word cosmic is used as a descriptor,  all definitions are moot.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #72 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
And for the record,  when reading a post from now on  just assume the post was written with the best of inflections.   Do no just assume someone is being snarky, mean or argumentative unless you are positive it is so.    You bring your own baggage with you when you read a post.  So when reading a post, and you think its is the start of something argumentative, just ask.  No harm in that.    This goes for everyone and no one in particular.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #73 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Captain Kurt wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 6:47pm:
What is comicbook style cosmic awareness?

I've just been saying "comic book style cosmic awareness" as shorthand for when, in a comic, they actually say: 'so and so has cosmic awareness.'

So iirc, that goes for:
Starhawk
Captain Marvel (Mar-Vel)
Adam Warlock
Epoch
Genis Vel, aka Legacy or Photon
Eternity
Anomaly
and lots of other characters created in the 70s.

The rules on this power are, I believe, the closest thing the creators could get to "comic book style CA " in an rpg game with some balance, so that omniscience in the hands of a PC doesn't get out of control.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:14pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #74 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:47pm:
I think I see your mistake. You've pulled a line out of context.

Well then I should ask then if that line about me making a mistake was supposed to be snarky or mean? How was I supposed to know I was taking something out of context when the context was unclear? You were talking about a game term Heightened Intelligence B at the same time as cosmic awareness (which you didn't mean in game terms). I can't read minds. How was I supposed to know what you meant?  Cry

Were you trying to be argumentative or make me look bad by saying that I made the mistake and took something out of context?
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:23pm by Captain Kurt »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #75 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Captain Kurt wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:16pm:
I can't read minds. How was I supposed to know what you meant?

Mind reading is a different power.  Wink

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #76 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Captain Kurt wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:16pm:
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:47pm:
I think I see your mistake. You've pulled a line out of context.

Well then I should ask then if that line about me making a mistake was supposed to be snarky or mean? How was I supposed to know I was taking something out of context when the context was unclear? You were talking about a game term Heightened Intelligence B at the same time as cosmic awareness (which you didn't mean in game terms). I can't read minds. How was I supposed to know what you meant?  Cry

Were you trying to be argumentative or make me look bad by saying that I made the mistake and took something out of context? 

Lets just chalk this up to a misunderstanding and move on.

IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #77 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:22pm:
Mind reading is a different power. 

I know that mind reading is a different power.

What are you trying to say by responding to my question with that comment?

I can't tell what you mean.
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:35pm by Captain Kurt »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #78 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Captain Kurt wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:26pm:
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:22pm:
Mind reading is a different power. 

I know that. What are you trying to say?

I was just trying to make a joke!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #79 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
I don't know of anyone on this board who tries to be hostile toward anyone else.  As a matter of fact, I'd read any message on here in the best light possible, as we're a pretty friendly bunch.  Nobody is trying to make jokes at the other guy's expense.

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #80 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Yeah - the internet - she is a harsh communicator at times.

Cosmic Awareness - basically a form of supernatural foreknowledge or prescience is very difficult to define much less emulate in game play. (As challenging as Green Lantern's power ring for example).

I am bit fond of John's re-write, though I have not studied it exhaustively. I think three factors ought to help the PC 'Get the right answer' from the cosmos:

1) Level of experience of Questioner
2) Int and Cha (or Will)
3) Level of threat/effect

It functions as a GM's fiat if he or she so wishes.

Quote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi: [looks distressed - probably took a 3d10 power drain]
Luke: Ben! What's wrong?!
Obi-Wan Kenobi: I just felt a terrible disturbance in The Force... as if a million voices cried out at once and were silenced. I believe something terrible has happened...

In the comics Dr. Foom mentioned above, we find that they are all rather obscure NPCs - with a few notable entities - like Uatu, the Watcher.

I suspect this is more of an NPC power (like Death Touch should be) and is to be handled gently when used by true PCs.

That said, I think it easy to get frustrated on this topic - just cause of the gooeyness of the subject.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #81 - Dec 24th, 2009 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:18pm:
Most examples of folks born with the power are alien races or cosmic beings like John's example above or Polar Boy's great Santa thread.

Just to clarify, I've never described St. Nick as someone born with cosmic awareness. I simply described how he might use the ability. It's a minor point, but I don't want anyone to jump to the wrong conclusions about my take on the origin of Kris Kringle.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2009 at 9:32am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #82 - Dec 24th, 2009 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Oh no sweat. No Earth-shattering conclusions made!

I'm sure, like the Phantom Stranger, Kris Kringle has MULTIPLE possibilities of origins.

I  - like so many others - just like the logical and perfectly in character power usage for that jolly old elf!

[Ain't Theology 405 or anything!]

Cheesy

BTW - MERRRYYYYYY CHRISTMASSSS!

[dons Red Cap of Spiritual Insight (Cosmic Awareness device)]

"...now, has John been NAUGHTY this year...?"

Wink

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #83 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Great explaination of a basically unexplainable power.  And I totally agree with you about Cosmic Awarness being a passive thing in the comics and an active thing in the game. 
   For example,  I had a character called Starchild ( hey, i was 12 and loved KISS, so cut me a break) and  who was modelled after Adam Warlock. He had cosmic awarness in a gem he had on his mace.   Well all it did was allow the GM to pull me around as if I was on an invisible leash.  I eventually gave up the character cause I felt he didn't have any control over himself.  I was just an extension of the GM. 
   So you are absoultly correct.  Good call.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #84 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Yes, good points, Chimaera (good to see you back here, btw!).

I couldn't really articulate why it was so different, but I think Chimaera has pointed out exactly what it is that is different - passive vs. active.

An additional problem - not so much a problem as it relates comparing the game version to the comics model, but one from a game-balance perspective - is how this power can be used to circumvent the GMs plots and stories.  A clever player (or group of players, working in tandem) can use this "yes/no dynamic" to establish almost anything.  Our PCs recently tracked down where the villain base was all by using 'yes'/'no' questions that established what continent, what part of the continent, etc.

Certainly other powers can be "abusive" in this regard as well (Mind Control, Telepathy, etc.), but this one especially has proven to us to be problematic as written.  I think changing it to more of a passive ability serves not only to make it more like what we see in comics; it also makes it a more balanced way to tell a story and function as a way for the GM to communicate things to the players.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools

>