Poll
Poll Question: What OTHER dimensions exisit in your campaign?
bars   pie

Mirror-verse, with opposite/evil counterparts    
  10 (14.3%)
What if an event/history happened differently?    
  11 (15.7%)
Magic, monsters, and medieval fantasy world    
  10 (14.3%)
Fictional world (Oz, Wonderland, Lilliput, etc.)    
  6 (8.6%)
Home of the gods (Norse, Roman, Egyptian, etc.)    
  8 (11.4%)
Prison/limbo universe    
  10 (14.3%)
Metaphysical/surreal/energy void/nexus    
  8 (11.4%)
Other: Share your ideas below!    
  7 (10.0%)

Total votes: 70
« Last Modified by: eLock on: Oct 30th, 2009 at 10:12pm »
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What OTHER dimensions exisit in your campaign? (Read 5568 times)
eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

What OTHER dimensions exisit in your campaign?
Oct 30th, 2009 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Dimension-travel is one of the core powers in V&V. Relatively few game materials name or describe any other dimensions, leaving much of the creativity in the hands of the players and GM.

What types of other dimensions exist (or have existed) in your V&V campaigns? You can vote for as many generic examples in the poll at the top. But please share your experiences and ideas too!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: What OTHER dimensions exisit in your campaign?
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
I am currently rewriting my post from my old site that describes my multiverse.   I will link to it when I finish.

Short answer,  I have all but the first choice.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Wouldn't my guys like to know..... Wink

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
I checked most of them, and probably should have selected the "Fictional World" one as well.

In our campaign, there are a finite number of dimensions (not articulated yet, probably a couple dozen or so).  They include:

Chaosia: The name of the dimension spelled out in the Devil's Domain.
Beta Universe: Our mirror universe.
Vine': As per the Pentacle Plot module.
Finity: The prison dimesion in the Pre-Emptive Strike adventure.

Plus a number of others, such as the ones Dr. Apocalpyse's demons come from, a number of small pocket-dimensions (accessed by specific player characters) and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
In my game,  if one knows how, one can enter the Dreamlands.  And from the Dreamlands one can enter any fictional universe anyone has ever dreamed about.  So Oz,  Hogwarts,  Star Treck, the Marvel Universe, you name it exists somewhere in someone's dreams...

IP Logged

Mentat
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2009 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
We have the Microverse in our campaign. We have one guy in the group who can size change to subatomic. He has to go to the microverse once a week as special requirement. He also has the ability to shrink the party to travel to the microverse.

We have an arch nemesis from another dimension called Tyrannon from an old Champions book.  He sends his avatars, which are an extension of himself to other plants and dimensions to plant a tree that will suck the planet dry of it's ethereal power. We have battled him many times and he's practically a Demi God. We finally bargained that he will not attack earth again during our lifetime.

We have had many alternate time line adventures. A rift in time in our city has caused many things to happen. We've traveled to our city in the 1970s and the Soviets have invaded and took control of the west coast.

We have encounter a Nazi superteam who are winning the war in their time line with the help of advanced technology and Dagan sorcery.

My character Mentat, has worked on dimensional powers and has the ability to portal, dimensional travel, and time travel all combined. He also has a found his own special limbo. If knocked out Mentat will automatically teleport himself subconsciously to this limbo until he has made a wake up roll.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
My current campaign is an alternate reality due to an event that changed history.
It also includes a:

-Mirror-verse with evil counterparts (why does this always kick butt?)

-Parallel universe where an animal revolution against man's civilization, guided by an evil genius ape, was successful.

-Shattered realm that had once been Home of the Gods

-Lovecraftian Dreamlands

-Sorcerous dimension(s) ala Doc Strange and Dormammu

-Cthulhoid home dimension(s)

-Dystopic alternate anti-superbeing future (X-Men: Days of Future Past meets Escape from New York)
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2009 at 3:40pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Aramax
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2009 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
On the Strolens Citadel site I posted a very well reiceved thread'30 Pocket Dimentions for Supers and Modern Horror"
I am not so good with links n'stuff sorry

IP Logged

eLock
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Mentat wrote on Oct 31st, 2009 at 5:36pm:
We have the Microverse in our campaign. We have one guy in the group who can size change to subatomic. He has to go to the microverse once a week as special requirement. He also has the ability to shrink the party to travel to the microverse.

If knocked out Mentat will automatically teleport himself subconsciously to this limbo until he has made a wake up roll. 

Mentat, I like the way you've incorporated side effects into this power.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's ideas!

IP Logged

Dyna Girl
Sidekick

recovering sidekick

Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 1:44am
Print Post  
We have a parallel world where a number of crossover-composite characters reside.

The chief villains are the Ex-Teens, former sidekicks from a parallel world who turned against their mentors (or in Clark's case, his pet dog) upon turning 18. They use their real names; no codenames.

Clark Parker
Origin: bitten by a radioactive space-spider
Animal Powers: heightened strength, heightened senses: "spider vision" and "spider hearing" (increased detection)
Wife: Mary Jane Lane

Jean Grayson
Origin: powers manifested during childhood when her parents and best-friend Annie died in an a combination trapeze-car accident
Psionics: telekinesis, telepathy

Wally Worthington III
Origin: mutated after he was struck by lightning
Powers: wings and heightened speed

Bobby Harper
Special Weapon: bow with trick arrows, specifically "ice arrows"

Donna Dane (sometimes called "Deula")
Origin: thinks she's the daughter of a former villain, or the sibling of a goddess, or ... well, her memories are a mess
Devices: magnetic bracelets and lasso
Weakness: green hair
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2009 at 1:44am by Dyna Girl »  

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Nov 2nd, 2009 at 3:39pm:
-Mirror-verse with evil counterparts (why does this always kick butt?)

A lot of creators are willing to do things in their mirrorverse they're not willing to do in their "home" world.  They keep their homeworld safe.

Want to make things interesting? Set your game in the evil version of the world, where the guys in charge are the bad guys, and the world can fall apart ... and stay that way.

Why save the good stuff for alternate realities? Set game on Earth 3. Or on that parallel Earth where the Nazis won the war. Or maybe after some major disaster, like a Gamma World campaign.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Dyna, The Ex-Teens are great. Thanks for sharing this stuff.

Rick, great points and welcome to the boards!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Agreed; the Ex-Titans are fantastic!  Well done!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
One more to add to the list:

-What men call cyberspace is really another dimension, complete with indigenous lifeforms.
The digital revolution has been steadily eroding the barriers between the dimensions. Some say that every computer is another doorway between our world and theirs.

IP Logged

Dyna Girl
Sidekick

recovering sidekick

Reply #14 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Nov 30th, 2009 at 7:59pm:
-What men call cyberspace is really another dimension, complete with indigenous lifeforms.
The digital revolution has been steadily eroding the barriers between the dimensions. Some say that every computer is another doorway between our world and theirs. 
And those indigineous lifeforms must be called viruses.

IP Logged

Dyna Girl
Sidekick

recovering sidekick

Reply #15 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Nov 24th, 2009 at 10:35am:
Dyna, The Ex-Teens are great. Thanks for sharing this stuff.

Thanks. Here are a few more notes.

Jean Grayson also has a high agility (her robin-esque acrobatic abilities).

Bobby Harper's ice arrows do regular arrow damage, with a d12 Ice Powers carrier attack.

He also has a "dry ice" arrow, blurs vision over a 5" x 5" area.

Donna Dane's magnetic bracelets defend as Magnetic Powers (18 charges). While wearing them, she can lift an additional 3,600 lbs. of metal.

Her magnetic lasso works as a standard lasso (+1 to hit, HTH +1 damage, but when it is charged it attacks as magnetic powers. Ensnaring a target requires a special attack. She can use it to pull an additional 3,600 lbs. of metal. 18 charges.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #16 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
I have a dimenson not only of sight and sound, but of mind.....

( I am kidding, but everyone here should get that reference.)

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #17 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Dec 4th, 2009 at 6:18pm:
I have a dimenson not only of sight and sound, but of mind.....

That's the funniest thing I've heard all week. Tim Hartin's V&V Emporium cover for the month of December, incidentally, comes from the Twilight Zone comic. http://paratime.ca/v_and_v/pics/covers/twilight-zone047.jpg

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #18 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
There are an infinite amount of alternate dimensions in my world, but most Pan Dimensional Scholars use the number of 144,000.   All the alternate universes exist do to the interaction of two other, larger universes; a Plane of Chaos, and a Plane of Order.  Where these two overlap, is the Plane of Balance, where all our material universe are located.
    The closer you are to order or the closer you are to chaos dictates the laws of reality.   Our world exists  a bit closer to order, so magic is harder to come by which needs more chaos to fuel it.
     All these alternate universes are seperated by "cosmic energy" that act as a buffer so they don't annillate each other.  Some things even live and thrive in these spaces between the worlds.

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #19 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
In our Champions game we have the worlds of deities, as well as shadow realms, demon realms,and alternate realities

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #20 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Jun 10th, 2010 at 1:49pm:
There are an infinite amount of alternate dimensions in my world, but most Pan Dimensional Scholars use the number of 144,000.   All the alternate universes exist do to the interaction of two other, larger universes; a Plane of Chaos, and a Plane of Order.  Where these two overlap, is the Plane of Balance, where all our material universe are located.
    The closer you are to order or the closer you are to chaos dictates the laws of reality.   Our world exists  a bit closer to order, so magic is harder to come by which needs more chaos to fuel it.
     All these alternate universes are seperated by "cosmic energy" that act as a buffer so they don't annillate each other.  Some things even live and thrive in these spaces between the worlds.

This sounds cool (and well thought out), but how my world/campaign handles it is by having an extremely finite number of other dimensions.  I don't know the exact number, but it's somewhere around 12-18.

The reason I don't care for the "infinite worlds" concept is that I feel it cheapens the heroic actions of any given hero.  In other words, Champion Man can sacrifice his life to prevent the mega-nuke from blowing up the planet, but then the next week a new version of Champion Man can show up from another dimension (one of an infinite number that is out there) and take the place of the one that died.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #21 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
I agree.  While their may be an infinite amount of other Earths out there, no two are the same.   Hell, there aren't even copies of people.  How can the world deviate 500 years ago, yet still have the same exact people as this earth?  Or a world where ww2 is still going on, yet has the  same exact people that exist on this earth.

IP Logged

Jeff Dee
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #22 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 11:09am
Print Post  
I once played in a friend's V&V campaign, where our characters were visited by mirror versions of ourselves. Which led to this hilarious exchange:

Us: "So you're from Earth Two, then?"

Them: "No, we're from Earth One. YOU'RE from Earth Two! WE discovered YOU, remember?"

-Jeff Dee
UNIgames / Monkey House Games

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #23 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 11:40am
Print Post  
We had all sorts of different dimensions, though the funnest one was entering a dimension inside a soulstone to recover my character's spirit (after failing a couple of death touch saving throws).  I played an extra so I wasn't left out in that session.

The GM threw anything wild and wacky he could at us, with no physics tied to anything remotely real world or our laws of science.

IP Logged

Carpenter
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #24 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
I've always imagined a dimension/planet that is inherently magical. So characters with magical spells or supernatural origins don't lose power points (like characters with Water Breathing B underwater). Magic items always stay charged.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2010 at 5:54pm by Carpenter »  

IP Logged

Thunderbolt
Justice Leaguer

"Justice Like Lightning!"

Reply #25 - Jun 12th, 2010 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Sounds like Crystaar from DC comics... Pre-Crisis, Carpenter.

Though I like the E-Book that was published by Hero Games a while back - "The Ultimate Supermage".  It included a Pan-Dimensional Cosmololgy based around the Four Worlds - Sephirothic Tree of Life in the Kabbala {Assiah, Yetzirah, Briah, and Atziluth}.  Which also included a mention of 'The Qliphothic World ...from good ole H.P. Lovecraft.  I really liked how it flowed together and explained the, now famous - Steve Ditko, space-scapes of Docter Strange.  It reminded me fondly of the "Fading Suns RPG", Empyrean ascendant realms of the Celestial Sun, and their polar opposites the descent into the void realms of shadow the Qlippothic emanations from Gehennungagap.

Our champions GM, Draconis ...uses some of the Qlippothic realms ...called 'Pales' in our champion's game.

Very cool stuff.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2010 at 8:04am by Thunderbolt »  

"...No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."
GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Gigglestick
Sidekick

"Laugh-a while you ken,
munkey boy!"

Reply #26 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Well, we had a few.

the obligatory alternate future dimensions came up a few times.  There were two characters (one a PC, one NPC) who had an older counterpart from the future as a teammate.

This led to one of the best hero plans ever.  When the Echelon Force discovered that a horrible alternate future would result from an explosion in their base in three days' time, Protractor came up with a brilliant way to avoid that problem.

"Let's blow the base up ourselves.  Today!"

Surprisingly, the rest of the team thought this would work and they did it...

Messed up my adventure pretty well, but it was a good plan.

We also had a couple of fantasy dimensions.  (One standard D&D and one...the Amazone, with coutnerparts- often alternate alignments AND alternate genders.  Powered Battlesuits were magical armor, etc.)

There was a dimesnion of the Undead,
several demonic realms,
a strange demi plane...connected to earth, where the Immortals lived...all of the Greek, Roman, Egyptian, etc. gods were actually tales of these Immortals and their avatars...
a dimension of Warner-Brothers-style toons
a dimension of furries (often subject to horrible, justified carnage)
a Cthonian dimension of sorts
a dimension where everyone had some random power
and so on

random dimension hopping was a dangerous thing

And there was this evil villain created by one of my co-GMs.  Nenten slowly sucked the life out of dimensions, destroying them utterly.  Think of him as a dimensional Galactus.  As Nenten destroyed a dimension, the forces of nature turned on themselves...he killed several major NPCs before the heroes stopped him.

IP Logged

Gigglestick
Sidekick

"Laugh-a while you ken,
munkey boy!"

Reply #27 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
And, while we never did a complete universe that recreated a fictional world like Oz or Middle Earth, we did have a villaness named Alison Wonderland.

She was an insane, spoiled girl with a fixation on the Alice in Wonderland motif.  Her powers were the result of her Deadhead parents doing a bit too much experimental drug use.. She could channel dimensional energy and eventually used it to create a group of minions by warping criminals who tried to accost her.  She and her team [Wonderland] originally went up against he Lucky Ones in Boston (She attended High School with Cricket) but after she escaped from the Megaprison, she and her team matched wits with the Sentries a few times.

The Original Roster:

Wonderland
     Alison Wonderland      Jabberwocky            Tweedledeedum
     Smileycat            Bandersnatch            Jubjub
     Slithytove            Momerath            Crazyhat

So, while the Wonderland Team not actually another dimension, we nevcer did decide witch dimension she dragged her energies from.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #28 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Very cool stuff!  I especially like the Wonderland team; very creative!    Smiley

IP Logged

Gigglestick
Sidekick

"Laugh-a while you ken,
munkey boy!"

Reply #29 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Once I figure out how to link or post better, I'll start a file with some of these kinds of character teams and some background/ scenario hooks.

IP Logged

Isungr
Apprentice

Defender of Paragon

Reply #30 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Chello!

All of the above except for the Fantasy World (unless you count some of the below...).

1. Mirrorverse. Naturally.
2. What ifs? Several Reich and Dixie Worlds, a Britannia, Red Star, some others.
3. Fictional. Wonderland, Oz, Narnia.
4. Home of the Gods. Olympus, Asgard, Heaven, Hell.
5. Limbo/Prison. Essentially the Negative Zone of superman lore.
6. Nexus. the Nexus of Reality where all is formed.
7. Other. Ourobourous, the Time Nexus from City of Heroes.

"It's not about where you were born. Or what powers you have. Or what you wear on your chest. It's about what you do....It's about saving others."
Isungr to other Paragon heroes during the Cataclysm
WWWGTalkFacebookYIM  
IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #31 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
In Robert Heinlein's "The Number of the Beast" there are exactly (6 ^ 6) ^ 6 alternate universes (including ours).

This totals 10,314,424,798,490,535,546,171,949,056 universes, or 10 octillion, 314 septillion, 424 sextillion, 798 quintillion, 490 quadrillion, 535 trillion, 546 billion, 171 million, 949 thousand and 56.

They're accessed by rotating 90 degrees or more from the x, y and z axes (plural of "axis") in our three dimensional universe.  The device which causes this rotation does not use power (although power is used to configure the device for the desired destination).

Viewers watching an object move from the current dimension to another will see the object rotate away from them even if multiple viewers observe the rotation from different angles.

IP Logged

Galaxy Boy
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #32 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 5:54am
Print Post  
Practically the entire outer planes from D&D (noticeably the Abyss) as well as infinite alternate universes.

IP Logged

>