Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Taming Ice Powers (Read 2640 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Taming Ice Powers
Nov 4th, 2009 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
  While I hardly am an advocate of toning down powers.  In fact, I am usually accused of making powers TOO powerful.  I mean, we are supposed to be SUPER hereos.  However, I do feel that ice powers is too easy to abuse. 

So without really changing anything,  I have done a few things to make ice powers a bit more managable.

So far everything stays as is in the rules, with one exception.  I  don't limit the amount of armor you can generate.  You will see why.

As movement you can create armor out of ice.  Fine, but you are SPENDING your movement points to do so.   That means, if you create 50adr you spent 50 movement points and can not regain those movement points until that armor is gone.   So if you have a total movment of 55 points,  you can only move at 5 mp untill that armor is blasted away.

AND  each point weighs a pound.   That means your agility is adjusted as far as saves and intitiative.

Go ahead speedy, create 200adr, see if I care.  Be immobile,  be the last in combat with your one attack.  I hope not getting hurt is worth the sacrifice!

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Re: Taming Ice Powers
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2009 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Yea but if the character has some heightened Agility or Strength and speed bonus or heightened speed none of this will matter.
I think the best way to settle this is to have the character perform an action to activate ice armor and have it provide ice defense and 10 points of Invulnerability and that's it...done.Throw in an activation PR of 3 if you want as well.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2009 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
That works too, but it does seem to lessing the flavor, for lack of a better word, of Ice Powers.   

I kind of picture some warrior, coated with ice, getting bogged down under a glacier of protection, fighting  on step by extruciating step.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 12:32am
Print Post  
John wrote on Nov 4th, 2009 at 5:13pm:
  While I hardly am an advocate of toning down powers.  In fact, I am usually accused of making powers TOO powerful.  I mean, we are supposed to be SUPER hereos.  However, I do feel that ice powers is too easy to abuse. 

So without really changing anything,  I have done a few things to make ice powers a bit more managable.

So far everything stays as is in the rules, with one exception.  I  don't limit the amount of armor you can generate.  You will see why.

As movement you can create armor out of ice.  Fine, but you are SPENDING your movement points to do so.   That means, if you create 50adr you spent 50 movement points and can not regain those movement points until that armor is gone.   So if you have a total movment of 55 points,  you can only move at 5 mp untill that armor is blasted away.

AND  each point weighs a pound.   That means your agility is adjusted as far as saves and intitiative.

Go ahead speedy, create 200adr, see if I care.  Be immobile,  be the last in combat with your one attack.  I hope not getting hurt is worth the sacrifice!

I see what you're getting at, but if you limit somebody to 5" of movement remaining, that wouldn't mean they would have 5 m.p.h. remaining, only 5" (which means just over 1 m.p.h.).

As Stormdance pointed out, it still becomes problematic if the character has really high Movement (which can result from really good physical stats), Heightened Speed, or even Speed Bonus (one of the few times that power is actually super powerful!).

We found this to be so problematic (over-powerful) with a PC by the name of White Leopard (run by one of the player's wife) that we have now essentially put it on our "banned" list as just being too powerful (i.e., unbalancing).

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Yup  5 mp is not 5mph.   I guess I didn't make that clear.

And as far as a guy with speed bonus etc...  All I can say is, some superheroes are more powerful than others.

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 1:02am
Print Post  
I would think the goal is to make Ice Power a fun, functional and balanced power. I think your solution punishes the player for trying to use the very power he's been given or encourages a player to overcome or cancel the limitation and therefore bring the power back to unbalanced. I think just saying that the power allows a player to form Ice Armor, which can maintain the classic visual if desired, that provides an Ice Defense and a reasonable amount of protection, which 10 pts of invulnerability is, provides a more balanced solution. Having the character have to practically crush himself and slow to a crawl for using his own power really seems counter intuitive. The character is forming a unique functional set of armor, not encasing himself in an iceberg.
     I think the invulnerability option is closer to how the classic example of Ice powers, namely Iceman, would function. He has some protection and defense but he is not impregnable by any means and he is quite able to maintain full mobility.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 1:08am
Print Post  
For one dose of a sonics a guy gets to pay 5 power and do 1d12 damage and mimic sounds.

For one dose of a power a guy gets to form ice armor,  do 1d12 damage and  sometimes do clinging damage for free, AND form solid matter in any shape they desire  AND get  a defence  and do some cool tricks
  I am not worried too much about "punishing" the player.  I think  the slowing down offsets all the over the top advantages.

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Yer openin up a huge box of worms there my friend Smiley. Some powers as designed are far better than others so comparing them for functionality is a moot point. By that token you can assign limitations to plenty of other powers that allow you to do way more than you can with Sonics such as Vibratory power, Force Field, Animal plant powers..the list goes on.
    My point is that with regard to the basic abilities a power gives a player that player should be able to use said abilities with little if any penalty. They should not be penalized for doing what they are supposedly allowed to do.

Ice powers are unique in that they are quite simply, designed poorly.
Now a player who is not trying to power play will find ice armor very difficult to use to the point where it may as well not be an option at all. Meanwhile a power player will simply exploit the options available to return the power back to an overpowered and unbalanced ability. If you are not partial to the one option I suggested then I still think you need to put something in place to prevent the exploitation of the power which is still quite viable with your modification. 
     Of course some heroes are more powerful than others but characters gaining a broken power level through an instance of unbalanced game design is quite a different story.

Anyway, this is a kewl discussion. Smiley

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 8:45am
Print Post  
I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one who's struggled with this power...

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Nov 5th, 2009 at 8:45am:
I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one who's struggled with this power...

And as you can see there is more than one way to work it out.    If the player really wants  Stormdance's way, that is cool too.    I just think that as is, its a bit much.

Think about it,  its armor,  solid illusions and power blast  all in one.

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
In going back and looking at the power I would make several changes to many aspects and further edit the Ice Armor alternative I wrote above:

Acceptable Basics:
Range=S+E /5 
Damage: 1D12
PR=5 per attack
Maintaining Ice created: PR=1 per turn per item that requires maintenance within character's range. No maintenance required in an Arctic or Winter environment.

Now the changes:
1.The power no longer generates cubic feet of ice on an attack nor does ice cling to the target and cause further damage. This aspect of the power is replaced by Ice Prison below.

2. New ability: Ice Prison
Attacks as Ice powers but Inflicts no damage,requires 1 action to attack and affects a single target only.PR=7 per attack

On a successful hit roll 2D8 and multiply the result by 100 to get the weight of the ice which will range from 200-1600 lbs. If the target's CC is less than the weight of the Ice the target is frozen solid and rendered immobile. If the target's CC equals or exceeds the weight it takes him one action to free himself from the ice. Ice must be maintained or it melts off at 100 lbs per turn.

3. Ice Armor:
The character may spend an action to create a hard coating of Ice around his body for protection at a cost of 30" of movement and a PR of 8 + maintenance. Armor melts at a rate of 2 pts of Invulnerability per turn.
     The Ice provides Ice Defense. It also provides 10 points of Invulnerability to any attacks that are AFFECTED BY ICE DEFENSE (with the exception of Ice Powers-Ice Armor will protect against ice attacks).

This means that Flame Powers, Emotion Control, Force Fields, Gravity Powers,  Lightning Control, Magnetic Powers, Mind Control, Paralysis, and Transmutation IGNORE the Ice Armor.

4.Creating Ice:
1 " of movement for each 2 cubic feet of Ice created. PR=1 per creation. These ice masses will require maintaining or they will melt at a rate of 200 lbs/2 cubic feet per turn. Larger or more complex creations may require an additional power or action cost as determined by the GM

With this alternative the Ice using hero gets to do a lot less for free or for a cost only in movement. It also removes the capacity to inflict ongoing damage and containment in a single attack at a paltry Pr cost of 5. The Ice Prison ability grants a hero a nice thematic method to capture and restrain villains without hurting them as well, which is a facet of most ice-wielding comic book heroes that I think was sorely lacking here. It will work pretty reliably on thugs and such but many super villains will be difficult to capture with such a method...as it should be.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #11 - Nov 6th, 2009 at 11:26am
Print Post  
I usually charge a character for two powers:

1st power: blast, defense, ice created with blast attack, and inanimate creations
2nd power: (regenerating) ice armor

Or else they just get the first power, which is how I see Iceman. I see his 'icing up' as depicting his "ice defense" has activated, like the Torch bursting into flames activates his flame defense.

Bobby Drake isn't bulletproof or a damage absorber, I don't think. I could be misremembering.

To borrow John's analogy, this first ice power is closer to sonics which gives a blast, a defense, a chance to destroy objects, and a sound effects/control/ventriliquism ability.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Nov 6th, 2009 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
STORMDANCE wrote on Nov 5th, 2009 at 7:36pm:
This means that Flame Powers, Emotion Control, Force Fields, Gravity Powers,  Lightning Control, Magnetic Powers, Mind Control, Paralysis, and Transmutation IGNORE the Ice Armor.

Most of this looks good, but a few of these (Flame, Force Field, Magnetics, and possibly Lightning) - when they are doing a  physical 'blast' or physical, kinetic attack (as they usually do) - SHOULD be affected by this limited Invulnerability.  If a character has 10 points of protection against physical attacks (as this ice should do), then it should provide that against fire as much as it should against a power blast, IMHO.

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #13 - Nov 7th, 2009 at 3:39am
Print Post  
Quote:
Most of this looks good, but a few of these (Flame, Force Field, Magnetics, and possibly Lightning) - when they are doing a  physical 'blast' or physical, kinetic attack (as they usually do) - SHOULD be affected by this limited Invulnerability.  If a character has 10 points of protection against physical attacks (as this ice should do), then it should provide that against fire as much as it should against a power blast, IMHO.

You can definitely rule that the ice defense works against these attacks if u feel its appropriate.
I was just going by what the ice defense worked against. I was thinking I wanted something akin to armor but not anywhere near as powerful as full Armor or Invulnerability. So as a compromise I figured limiting it to affecting only those powers Ice works against should offset it enough that it is not too powerful but the player will still find it useful and beneficial. Do u find it too limiting as is?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #14 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
I'm in the camp that says, "Yes, Ice armor is powerful, but...".  So are the other mega powers.  Animal Plant Powers, Bionics, Mutant Power, Body power, Flame Powers, Gravity control - these all have a lot of pluses tagged into them.  Heck, if you maxed out number of powers, then rolled animal plant powers, you could end up with 12 powers total, assuming you don't roll one of the other mega powers and end up with even more.

I'm all for doing what the book says, though, and working with the player to balance out the character powers.  None of the solutions above are ones I would use as a standard reading of Ice Powers - I'd pretty much stay as it says in the rules.  But they are variants that would work as options.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
STORMDANCE wrote on Nov 7th, 2009 at 3:39am:
Quote:

You can definitely rule that the ice defense works against these attacks if u feel its appropriate.
I was just going by what the ice defense worked against. I was thinking I wanted something akin to armor but not anywhere near as powerful as full Armor or Invulnerability. So as a compromise I figured limiting it to affecting only those powers Ice works against should offset it enough that it is not too powerful but the player will still find it useful and beneficial. Do u find it too limiting as is?

Sorry I missed your response before, Stormdance.  I think your proposal is a solid one; now that you've explained it I see where you're coming from, and think it makes sense.  It certainly limits the Ice Armor considerably, which gives some balance to this problematic combo.

I think I like Dr. Foom's suggestion (on another thread) to just limit the amount of Movement that can be spent on regenerating Ice Armor to the character's base S+E+A (basic Movement score); this to me is probably the simplest and most elegant fix.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2009 at 6:25pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

>