Normal Topic Critical Hits (Read 2052 times)
John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Critical Hits
Nov 22nd, 2009 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
  Some damage is more dangerous than others.   Getting stabbed, for instance, can be more life threatening than getting punched.    V&V left out a critical hit system due to them playing a more Four Color game.   I have been using this critical hit system for ten years to add some more danger to my game.

After hitting someone, you always roll for the knock out roll.  If the KO roll is 01-05 its a critical hit!  That means the target takes one point of damage per turn until medical attention is giving.  This is from an internal wound, or serious bleeding or what ever.
    However, the  roll must be equal to or lower than the damage taken.

For example, if  Puncher smashes  Mr Good for 3 damage and rolls a KO of 4, it is not critical even though the roll is under 05.  Why?  Because Mr good only took 3 damage from his hits.

Make sense?

Ok, now these things modifiy the critical hits.

Punches: Normal. 01-05
Blunt Weapons: 01-10
Sharp Weapons: 01-15
Guns:                 01-20
Exposions:          01-25
Energy:              01-15

Now the body part also modifies the critical hits.

Body Shot: normal
Arm, leg:   normal
Head, Heart:  x4
Groin:            x3

So if a gun is used an a called shot to the head is made, then  the wound is critical if the knockout rolls is between 01-80! 

« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2009 at 4:19pm by John »  

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Re: Critical Hits
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
That certainly makes a 1d8 pistol a lot more lethal...

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Yes but if you still only did four points of damage, you only have a four percent chance of it being critical.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
These are great John.

When not running four color, we used to say that you couldn't 'roll with' any damage from a gun.
Anyone else ever try that out?

IP Logged

Dyna Girl
Sidekick

recovering sidekick

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Some of you have posted that you've gamed with the forefathers of V&V. How did they handle critical hits and rolling with punches? The rolling with punch rules have always been open to interpretation and every GM seems to make their own judgment call.

Anyone know what the original read was about how rolling with the punch was supposed to work? Does it only include punches? How about other kinetic damage (similar to force field protetion)? How about energy attacks?

Any thing you could offer would mean a lot to me. It'd be like getting a firsthand look at what Thomas Jefferson and John Addams and Alexander Hamilton intended when writing the Constitution.

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
That's an interesting system, and I might end up trying that out.  In general, though, we play more 4 color, so permanent/serious injuries just didn't happen.  Now, if a player couldn't make it to the game, their character might have been suffering complications "from the last encounter with xxx", but that was purely cosmetic.

Without being quite as detailed, another option would be to allow any attack that does max damage to require a death touch save by the target.  If they fail one of them, they are seriously injured, if they fail both...

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
I like your system, John, and have noticed that many groups use some form of critical hits (or lethal damage) in their games.

I'm in the midst of taking some of our heroes through a Western (sans superpowers); in fact I'm adapting a module of Boot Hill (the introductory adventure Mad Mesa).  Because of this I've had to kind of re-look at how lethal and dangerous guns can be, especially now that some superheroes who previously had 100 HP are now sitting at 4!    Shocked

One interesting thing that Boot Hill does (I don't have the rulebook, but you can tell a lot by reading through the module) is treat damage from fists (HtH) in a different way from damage from lethal sources (knives, arrows, guns, etc.).  The first type you heal daily, the latter one you heal weekly (at the same rate).

Makes me wonder if a similar system might not work for V&V.  It still leaves a lot for the GM to make a call on (Flame would probably be treated as lethal, but what about Lightning?), but it does provide for more dangerous damage from certain sources.

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
John,

I like your ideas and was thinking along similar lines. I came up with some Lethal Damage rules for a module I put up on Lulu.com.

To keep in step with the rules, I modified my houserule a bit.

Remember how the rules say "to avoid the sometimes cruel side-effects of super powers, a Special Roll to hit is necessary for them to occur: i.e. to set something ablaze with a Flame attack, you must roll twice to hit."

They don't go into the effect after that, but the idea is sound.

So I said the "cruel side effect" of bladed and piercing weapons is blood loss. You have to roll a Special Attack and - if you do hit point damage after all is said and down - the target begins losing blood between runs based on the damage received that strike, subtracting 1 Hit Point damage from the loss each turn after the first, simulating clotting.

Ex. the Green Meany is attacked by Wolfine, the female  steel-clawed mutant. Green Meanie has 12 points of Invulnerability and Wolfine does 18 points of clawing damage after making her two rolls to hit.

Meany also rolls with 4 points, so only 2 points are done.

In-between turns 1&2, ANOTHER 2 points are taken off and between 2&3, ONE point is taken off. Nothing happens between turns 3&4, since the minor wound has ceased bleeding.

This permits Normals to die from gunshot wounds and most heroes to walk away.

Special Lethal attacks (like a gun shot to the head) are treated the same way, just with the damage from bleeding being multiplied by the same factors used for K.O.

I dunno. I hope you like it.

I just wanted something that is chartless and straightforward.

Off to my cave!!

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2009 at 11:31pm by »  

IP Logged

Dyna Girl
Sidekick

recovering sidekick

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 1:04am
Print Post  
Quote:
This permits Normals to die from gunshot wounds and most heroes to walk away.

So if a a machine gunshot happened to do 10 points of damage, and suprised the hit target, the victim would take 10 points of damage, then 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. That certainly could kill an average person, if they were surprised.

An average gunshot does 5 points of damage (4.5 for average bullet; 5.5 with machinegun). If the average person wasn't surprised, and rolled with damage, they'd roll with 4 points (approx. 40 power), and only lose 1 hit point total, with no extra bleeding.

Let me know if I'm following this correctly.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2009 at 1:05am by Dyna Girl »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
In playing through our Western last weekend, I wasn't entirely pleased with characters 'rolling with' damage from a bullet.  It ended up giving the impression of a Matrix-like "bullet-time" for each character, which is a bit much.  I could see a super agile PC being able to do this, but for the average man on the street to be able to minimize bullet damage seems a bit silly.

I'm still thinking through how I want to do this, and consulting the many variants of lethal damage out there as well; hopefully by the time we play next I'll have something nailed down.

IP Logged

>