Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Film Conversions (Read 3083 times)
Rick
Apprentice

Film Conversions
Nov 24th, 2009 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Here's a nuts and bolts look most of the Watchmen and Minutemen. Not full stats, just the essentials.

Hooded Justice
H. Strength A, endurance is also high
H. Expertise: wrestling

Silk Spectre I (Sally)
H. Charisma A
N. Weaponry: minimal

Nite-Owl I (Hollis)
H. Agilty A, endurance is also high
N. Weaponry: moderate

Comedian
H. Expertise: guns
H. Endurance A: strength is also high

Silk Spectre II (Laurie)
H. Agility A

Nite-Owl II (Dan)
H. Intelligence A
Armor B: ADR = 55
H. Senses: goggles
Vehicle: Archimedes

Rorsarch
H. Agility A, endurance is also high
N. Weaponry: high
Willpower: resists interrogation, covert skills

Ozymandias
H. Intelligence B; probably has A-level agility and endurance
N. Weaponry: high
Willpower: intense concentaration, can catch a bullet, covert skills
Pet: Bubastis

« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2009 at 9:45pm by Rick »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Re: Film Conversions
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 11:27am
Print Post  
These are great!
No Doc Manhattan?

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Nov 25th, 2009 at 11:27am:
These are great!
No Doc Manhattan? 

Better men than me have tried to make Dr. Manhattan work in V&V. Even the DC game treated John as an unplayable NPC.

In the X-films, Xavier and Magneto aren't as powerful as Manhattan, but they also operate on an order of magnitude above V&V, mentally freezing a mall of people or seizing control of a small army.

Most of the other characters in X-Men 1-2 are very V&V: Cyclops, Dr. Jean Grey, Storm, Iceman, Rogue, Mystique, Sabretooth, Toad, and Pyro are very playable characters. Same goes for Shadowcat in X3, but that was a lousy film.
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2009 at 5:24pm by Rick »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Rick wrote on Nov 25th, 2009 at 5:24pm:
Doctor Foom wrote on Nov 25th, 2009 at 11:27am:
These are great!
No Doc Manhattan? 

Better men than me have tried to make Dr. Manhattan work in V&V. Even the DC game treated John as an unplayable NPC.

In the X-films, Xavier and Magneto aren't as powerful as Manhattan, but they also operate on an order of magnitude above V&V, mentally freezing a mall of people or seizing control of a small army.

Most of the other characters in X-Men 1-2 are very V&V: Cyclops, Dr. Jean Grey, Storm, Iceman, Rogue, Mystique, Sabretooth, Toad, and Pyro are very playable characters. Same goes for Shadowcat in X3, but that was a lousy film.

Agreed on the way the X-Men film characters translate well to V&V.  Though it's not a power we see in the rulebook or any of the modules, I could imagine Xavier's ability to 'stop time' to be something doable for V&V, albeit with restrictions (same goes for Hiro's power from Heroes).  Magneto certainly was shown to be super powerful (especially in part 3 when he moves the Golden Gate Bridge), but I've seen some really tough characters that come close to him (one Magnetics PC from years ago could probably go toe-to-toe with the Master of Magnetism, even the one shown from the films).  You're right, though, that those two are a bit more powerful than the standard V&V character.

Dr. Manhattan, OTOH, is a character you could hardly stat out (kind of like the Beyonder).  More of a GM controlled NPC.

Nice work on the Watchmen!!!    Smiley

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I don't watch Heroes or know how time-powers work on that show, In X2 I see Xavier mentally paralyzing people--not stopping time. In the scene at the mall, the TV is still playing in the background even though all the civilians are frozen. And in the Oval Office at the end of the film, the president is mentally paralyzed, but the lightning outside is still active. Bryan Singer did a sweat job putting in those touches to keep Xavier a telepath rather than a time-stopper.

After local film critic wrote that Xavier froze time, the paper published a clarification of his review after I responded with a letter that described the professor's powers.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
I'm hooked on Heroes... It has really given me insight into what life with powers might be like.  I mean the show is so inconsistent, and they've definitely had some writer issues, but the basic premise has remained. 

I know you say you haven't seen it, but to others who have, I think we're there going wrong is focusing so much on Sylar.  I mean he's a great villain, but the show is supposed to be about the Heroes, and it ends up being more about the villains... I hope they get it turned around.

The insight it has given me is that they are still human beings.  Regardless of how powerful they are, they have been hunted, bagged and tagged as it were for some time.  I mean like Storm is soo powerful, but a sniper could surprise her and kill her if they wanted to, and that goes for most Heroes.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Rick wrote on Nov 26th, 2009 at 8:05pm:
I don't watch Heroes or know how time-powers work on that show, In X2 I see Xavier mentally paralyzing people--not stopping time. In the scene at the mall, the TV is still playing in the background even though all the civilians are frozen. And in the Oval Office at the end of the film, the president is mentally paralyzed, but the lightning outside is still active. Bryan Singer did a sweat job putting in those touches to keep Xavier a telepath rather than a time-stopper.

After local film critic wrote that Xavier froze time, the paper published a clarification of his review after I responded with a letter that described the professor's powers.

Good points; I'd forgotten those details.  You're absolutely correct, sir.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Nov 26th, 2009 at 10:28pm:
I'm hooked on Heroes... It has really given me insight into what life with powers might be like.  I mean the show is so inconsistent, and they've definitely had some writer issues, but the basic premise has remained. 

I know you say you haven't seen it, but to others who have, I think we're there going wrong is focusing so much on Sylar.  I mean he's a great villain, but the show is supposed to be about the Heroes, and it ends up being more about the villains... I hope they get it turned around.

The insight it has given me is that they are still human beings.  Regardless of how powerful they are, they have been hunted, bagged and tagged as it were for some time.  I mean like Storm is soo powerful, but a sniper could surprise her and kill her if they wanted to, and that goes for most Heroes.  

Speaking of Heroes, isn't cool how the fan favorite character, and I am guessing the new star of the show is a guy without powers.  I am talking about Horn Rimmed Glasses.   

And how to improve the show in one episode?  Have Slyar die killing all the Petrellis.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 4:03pm
Print Post  

Yes, it's a great show. Seasons 2 and 3 were not very good, IMHO, but they've really picked up the pace again and this season is reminding me of Season 1.  For those who haven't checked it out, I'd recommend renting the first season and seeing if you like it; I think most superhero fans will enjoy it.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 3:55pm:

Speaking of Heroes, isn't cool how the fan favorite character, and I am guessing the new star of the show is a guy without powers.  I am talking about Horn Rimmed Glasses.   

And how to improve the show in one episode?  Have Slyar die killing all the Petrellis.   

HRG (aka Noah Bennett) actually does have superpowers; he learned a few episodes ago that he has a 'gift' to understand those with superpowers (it's what made him so good at his job for Primatech).

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 3:55pm:
And how to improve the show in one episode?Have Slyar die killing all the Petrellis.

I would agree, or at least move Slyar back to an NPC at least when he was cutting heads open, we loved to hate him...

Majestic wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 4:12pm:
HRG (aka Noah Bennett) actually does have superpowers; he learned a few episodes ago that he has a 'gift' to understand those with superpowers (it's what made him so good at his job for Primatech).

I missed that somehow, and I haven't missed an episode, haven't watched last weeks yet, but I have all three seasons, either on DVD or recorded.  So instead of one of us, one of them, it was none of us, two of them... poetic justice I guess.  Grin

IP Logged

Harkker
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 4:05am
Print Post  
see I thought that Hrg was jsut saying that as a point of having empathy to the guy he was talking about.  sort of like ya that guy can stop time but I am smart enough to out think him.  If a power is something that you can do that others normally cant then sure his understanding of the mutants is a power

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
My favorite thing about Heroes (season 1) is that everyone has one power except the villain.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Nov 30th, 2009 at 6:27pm:
My favorite thing about Heroes (season 1) is that everyone has one power except the villain.

It seemed that way, but then there were a few (Matt Parkman comes to mind) that seemed to have at least two.  Unless you look at his Mind Control and Telepathy as effectively one power (could just be the V&Ver in me separating them into two!)    Grin

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 9:49am
Print Post  
We were very loyal to season 1, stuck through season 2, and went sporadic for season 3.  Haven't watched an episode of season 4.

Same thing with Lost for me.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #15 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Dec 7th, 2009 at 9:49am:
We were very loyal to season 1, stuck through season 2, and went sporadic for season 3.  Haven't watched an episode of season 4.

You might try out season 4 of Heroes if you get a chance.  It's so much better than the past two seasons, IMHO.  If you liked Season 1, I think you'll likely enjoy Season 4 as well.

LOST, OTOH, though it's become convoluted and difficult to follow I admit, stays outstanding all the way through.  The best show on network tv today, in my book.

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Re: Film Conversions: Wolverine
Reply #16 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Here's how we statted Wolverine from the first three X-Films.

WOLVERINE
Player's Name: Hugh Jackman
Character's Name: Logan
Sex: Male
Side: Good
Level: 4 (first movie), 5 (second movie), 6 (third movie)

Powers:
1. Heightened Senses: x3 det. hidden/danger when the sense of smell is involved. By spending one action to take another sniff, Wolverine gets an additional detection roll, PR = 0.

2. Body Power: slowed aging; resistant to the negative effects of alcohol and tobacco.

3. Regeneration: requires one action to regain Healing Rate; heals magnetic damage at the normal rate.

4. Bionics: PR = 3 to activate claws with movement, +6 to hit, +9 damage with claws.

5. Heightened Expertise: +4 to hit unarmed.

6. Phobia/Psychosis: Wolverine doesn't remember his origin, his age, or his enemies. He doesn't know whom to believe or trust.

Weight: 180 lbs.
Basic Hits: 4

ST: 15
EN: 19
AG: 16
IN: 13
CH: 08 (first movie), 09 (second movie), 10 (third movie)

Hits: 22
Power: 63

Healing Rate: 2.0

Carry Cap: 475 lbs.
HTH Damage: 1d6

Accuracy: +2
Damage Mod: +1

Movement: 50"

Det. Hidden: 10% (30%)
Det. Danger: 14% (42%)
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2010 at 7:43pm by Mike »  

IP Logged

Gigglestick
Sidekick

"Laugh-a while you ken,
munkey boy!"

Reply #17 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Dec 12th, 2009 at 7:34pm:
Imaginos wrote on Dec 7th, 2009 at 9:49am:

You might try out season 4 of Heroes if you get a chance.  It's so much better than the past two seasons, IMHO.  If you liked Season 1, I think you'll likely enjoy Season 4 as well.

LOST, OTOH, though it's become convoluted and difficult to follow I admit, stays outstanding all the way through.  The best show on network tv today, in my book.

Unfortunately, Heroes was a little too spotty for me.

They kept building up to good stuff and then either

a) Did nothing with it (Final battle agaisnt Sylar in Season 1 was weak and disappointing

b) Removed the interesting set up (introduce a bunch of villains escaping from the institute- which could have been a great team of adversaries- and then kill them off over the next three episodes

or

c) Big battle setup between the Petrellis and Sylar AND THEY HAVE IT HAPPEN BEHIND CLOSED DOORS SO THAT WE DON'T GET TO SEE IT! (What several of my freinds called "Pulling a Liefield"...which no self-respecting genre ever wants...)

C) really pissed me off.  It's like the writers are trying hard NOT to show the cool stuff about the superhero genre. (Or "Pulling an Anne Rice")

It was a great premise with some good ideas, but I'm not sad to see it get cancelled.
It would be an interesting campaign though.  V&V would ahndle the characters from this show pretty well.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #18 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Now it looks like there is a show somewhat similar to Heroes from ABC.  No Ordinary Family will also have superheroes that don't dress in spandex.  In this case, it looks like they will be more like the Incredibles or Fantastic Four (though all I know right now is what I've seen on a really short ad).

IP Logged

Gigglestick
Sidekick

"Laugh-a while you ken,
munkey boy!"

Reply #19 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
That's what I want to see: super powered characters beating up on each other!

Enough Supers vs Normals stuff.  That's OK for a few stories, but which is more interesting: Hulk vs thugs with guns or Hulk vs the Riot Squad?

Flash vs some mobsters or Flash vs Captain Boomerang and Captain Cold?

And so on...

IP Logged

>