Poll
Poll Question: How strong is the circus strongman?
bars   pie

Strength 18    
  3 (33.3%)
Strength 19-20    
  2 (22.2%)
Strength 21-22    
  1 (11.1%)
Strength 23-24    
  3 (33.3%)
Strength 25-26    
  0 (0.0%)
Strength 27-28    
  0 (0.0%)
Strength 29-30    
  0 (0.0%)
Strength 30+    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 9
« Created by: Dyna Girl on: Nov 29th, 2009 at 8:36pm »
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How strong is the circus strongman? (Read 2936 times)
Dyna Girl
Sidekick

recovering sidekick

How strong is the circus strongman?
Nov 29th, 2009 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Two modules are set at the circus. Both modules have circus strongmen. The strongman from Terror by Night has 18 Strength. The strongman from Organized Crimes has 26 Strength.

How strong is the circus strongman in your campaign? What does this say about the real and perceived limits or human strength in your world? What does it say about the demarcation between normal humans and superhumans and those in-between?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Re: How strong is the circus strongman?
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
That is a tough one, since Str is factored into Carrying Capacity, but isn't the sole component of it.  I would put a circus strongman at a high 1d6 hth or low 1d8 hth damage.  And that is assuming he is a human with no powers except for his str trainings.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
If you're assuming he's human with no powers, I've always used a limit of 20 for non-enhanced characteristics.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
While (at the time, which is many moons ago) I would have used the printed total, if I were to run it now, and assuming he had no actual, real "super power" (but was merely a human near or at the maximum human potential), then I would cap his Strength at 24 (the max. we allow for normal humans).

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
I'm close to Majestic on this. I would still cap him as a Non-Adventuring Normal at 18.

But if he Trained and went up levels - 24.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Hi,
How did you guys arrive at 20 or 24 as the cap for normals?

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
I  used 18 as the maximum for normal humans ability, 3d6 maxed out.  I then figured a normal human would not advance past 2nd level, so 18 with two levels of training would be a 20...

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
I never assigned a limit, but I figure that math is a strict law enforcer.  If you started out with an 18 and trained in a stat for your whole life, what would you end up with ?   25 if you were lucky?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:14am
Print Post  
And that would require experience... You don't level up using a bench press.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys.

Do you also put limits on "normal human" stats among PCs who roll under Skills, if they are normal humans like the Black Widow for example?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #10 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:25pm:
Do you also put limits on "normal human" stats among PCs who roll under Skills, if they are normal humans like the Black Widow for example?

I think that is an unfair cap to lay on someone who chooses skills.  That's like saying you can roll on any other table and limiting it to "only able to use real world provable human powers".  So you end up with device guy being a swat team member instead of a powered superhero.

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #11 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
sImaginos wrote on Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:57pm:
I think that is an unfair cap to lay on someone who chooses skills.  That's like saying you can roll on any other table and limiting it to "only able to use real world provable human powers".  So you end up with device guy being a swat team member instead of a powered superhero.

Absolutely.

I allow a double-standard in a way. There's the general "normal" limit of 18, plus training for ordinary humans.

And then there are those heroes with super-skills who technically are still human but somehow have abilities beyond normal--but, yes, they are still human.

The skills table accounts for that gray area we so often in comics, where heroes and villains are described at being "peak human" when in fact they exceed the known limits of any living human.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2009 at 1:28pm by Rick »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #12 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
The 24 number seems to be a good one, once you crunch the numbers (especially for the physical stuff).  Try it out with a strongman-type (with maximums in Strength and Endurance) and you'll see it's pretty close to the 'peak human' level, especially real-world levels (strongman competitions and the like).  For the spiritual/mental totals (C and I), we don't force a cap, as it's hard to say where the human max. is on those.

It's hardly ever come up where somebody is forced to stop at a certain number in our campaign.  Recently it did with a few characters that (temporarily) lost their super powers (in the Western I'm running).  So somebody with a 27 Agility might have been forced to suddenly only have a 24, and so forth.

Agility is something I have (as overall Editor-in-Chief of our campaign) been pretty restrictive with.  I usually start 'encouraging' players to stop training in Agility once they get around 21, unless their character is the type that should be focusing on Agility.  So if they're a speedster, acrobat, or martial artist, then they're fine.  If they're a typical brick, energy projector, mentalist, etc., then they don't need to push the limits of A (which is by far the most powerful of the Basic Characteristics of the game as written), and capping it at 21 seems to keep them fast enough without unbalancing the campaign.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2009 at 6:49pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #13 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys.

IP Logged

>