Normal Topic Leveling Damage Powers (Read 1631 times)
Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Leveling Damage Powers
Dec 1st, 2009 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Years back, I created a leveling system for the powers and the combat table.  Using proportions, I kept the table, but gave everything a base 11 to hit.  Here were my house rule write ups for this:

Quote:
Attack / Damaging Powers

There is now a more uniform structure to damaging powers, as well as to the combat ability of powers.  Each power has a base of 11 to hit.  Each power also has a base 5% chance of mishap.  The base range for natural powers is (E+A)/2.  Devices and magic items might run from the same, but could also have a random stat generated via 3d8 for each stat, then averaging.  Further, during character creation, the damage level of the power is chosen by the player.

Damage Rating      PR Cost
1d4 ------------ 2
1d6 ------------ 3
1d8 ------------ 4
1d10 ----------- 5
1d12 ----------- 6
1d6+1d8 ------- 7
2d8 ------------ 8
1d8+1d10 ------ 9
1d20 ---------- 10

Damage Rating, with the corresponding PR cost, is chosen by the player during character generation.  Obviously, the higher the Damage Rating, the higher the PR cost.

Depending upon the rationale of the character, damaging powers may have Damage Shields, or may be able to develop damage shields.  This is where the power is set up around the character’s body, only going off when it comes into contact with another object.  Damage shields have a maintenance cost equal to the PR of the regular attack per turn (even partial) that the shield is maintained.

Note that a character with a damage shield can make a Hand-to-Hand attack, using the damage shield as a carrier attack, following the rules set aside under carrier attacks in the rule book.

In extreme times, the character may double the Damage Rating of the attack.  However, the character does so at great risk.  They risk exhaustion and endanger their life.  The first inherent danger lies in the PR cost.  PR = x2 (this is x squared), where x = normal PR cost.  In addition, the character suffers hit point loss equal to the damage rating.  This damage must come directly from the character’s hit points.  For example, Blastoman has a 1d10 Power Blast, and is desperate to blow a hole in the wall.  He decides to boost (go Nova, if you will) his power blast.  He rolls 2d10 for damage at a PR cost of 25.  He also takes 1d10 damage directly to his hit points.  If this had also pushed his power below 0, he would have had to use hit points to supply the power as well.

The other risk in boosting the power this way is the potential to short out the power.  Roll % and compare this to the hit point damage the character took from boosting the power.  If the roll is less than or equal to the hit point damage, the power is shorted out.  All aspects of the power are unusable until the character makes a % save under his Endurance score, or until all damage is healed, whichever comes first.

If a power is rolled twice, the player may opt to have increased range, increased damage (by adding two damage levels), have a bi-level damage power (1d4 or 1d8), or other (as determined by player and GM).

Attack powers can have modifiers added to them.  Some examples are subsidiary damage, greater range accuracy, spreading, or such.  Subsidiary damage works in the between-turn phases.  The PR costs of these should be determined by the GM.  A suggestion for subsidiary damage is to double the base PR cost of the damage rating (1d4 has a PR cost of 4 per attack, 1d20 has a PR cost of 16 per attack).

As an example, a character with fire powers chooses subsidiary damage. The target will take damage equal to the amount rolled on the initial damage die (do not include damage modifiers), with -1 point of damage per turn, cumulative.  For every action the target spends actively trying to put out the fire, the damage is reduced by ˝ (others may assist as well, further reducing the damage by ˝ each action spent).  After damage is reduced to 1 point, the fire will burn out.

Spread will add a +1 accuracy to the attack roll for each extra PR 2 on the attack.  A 1d20 attack with a spread of +3 would cost PR 14 to attack with, but hit on a 14 or less.

Greater range accuracy increases the range increment before the attack is inaccurate.  For an additional PR cost of 1 per increment, the character reduces his penalties for attacking at range.  By taking the power with GRA of 1, an additional cost of PR 1, the character does not suffer a –1 to hit until he’s at a range of 60 inches.

In addition, a power may have negative modifiers on them.  For example, reduced range accuracy will reduce the PR cost of the attack.  Narrow beam will reduce the chances to hit, but also reduce the PR cost.  Greater chance of mishap will reduce the PR cost, but increase the likelihood of a mishap.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2009 at 5:38pm by Imaginos »  

Base_11_Combat_Table.zip ( 6 KB | 7 Downloads )

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Re: Leveling Damage Powers
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
This is really impressive.

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Dec 1st, 2009 at 4:45pm:
Damage RatingPR Cost
1d4 ------------ 2
1d6 ------------ 3
1d8 ------------ 4
1d10 ----------- 5
1d12 ----------- 6
1d6+1d8 ------- 7
2d8 ------------ 8
1d8+1d10 ------ 9
1d20 ---------- 10

At the time, was there any thought of using 2d10 at level 10, to continue to two-dice pattern you set in place that eliminates the possibility of rolling 1 damage?

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
No, but looking at the suggestion, that seems like a great way to add to the progression, and then just drop the 1d20 damage altogether.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
I like the idea, but in practice, doesn't this system end up bascially taking the Blast out of your Blasters?  I can have huge muscles, or a ultra-sharp sword and do mega damage in combat for little power, other than multiple attacks, but now my power blaster is going to be able to get off maybe 6 shots and be out of Power Points... and that's without defenses... could make fights a lot shorter.

Could this somehow be tied to level?  Costing less PP at higher levels?  For a lot of powers, Telekenesis/Magnetics, get more powerful as the character levels up.  just looking for a balance.  Undecided
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2009 at 7:44pm by Hammer »  

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Good questions Hammer.  I think, if using this system, the damage for even melee would need to be tied to the table, to represent someone using their full strength or whatnot.  For melee, I think you would allow the character to use less than full strength (unless they tied a drawback to it), and thus pay lower Power Point costs.

So if you have a hand to hand max damage of 1d12, you'd pay 6 points of damage each punch.  You could toss a 1d6 punch if you wanted to, at a reduced PP cost.

And just in case nobody realized it, my Power Cost was 1/2 of the max damage from the roll.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
This is interesting, and really good work; well written up, Eric!  It reminds me of Living Legends, as a matter of fact.

Personally, I kind of like V&V's way of doing things, where there are plusses and minuses to each power.  One might give you 2d8 with a higher Power cost, another might do 1d20 with less, but have less in the way of "miscellaneous abilities" (walking though walls, shorting-out equipment, etc.).  But that's just personal preference.  I admit that your way is more balanced and fair.

Nicely done!

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Thanks.  And to be fair, I never implemented this, but it was written when I was playing more Hero System games than anything else.

IP Logged

>