Normal Topic Illusions A: Applications (Read 1963 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Illusions A: Applications
Dec 4th, 2009 at 2:22am
Print Post  
After reviewing the way characters use Illusions A in many of the published materials, here are some guidelines I'd suggest when using this power.

Each of the following requires one action per turn.
  • Use illusions to hide one's location, such as Mirage from Most Wanted Vol. 1. In this case, I would allow Player Characters the same Detect Hidden chance they normally receive when facing opponents with invisibility (revised rules, p. 14).

• Maintain one significant illusion, such as an imaginary monster used by Sprite in Pre-Emptive Strike or one of the illusionary creatures included as counters for Dreamweaver in Crisis at Crusader Citadel.

• Maintain a group of nearly identical illusions, such as the duplicates Celeste might create of herself in Alone into the Night. I suggest limiting the number of mirror-images to 1/3 the illusionist's Intelligence (round up). This would also apply to the number of opponents Mirage can appear to inflict with imaginary wounds.

• Maintain a halluscinary terrain, such as the pop art landscapes and illusionary boxing ring created by Od in Most Wanted Vol. 1. In this case, I would allow Player Characters standard detection rolls to avoid any real traps veiled within the chaos.

With halluscinary terrain and similarly complicated illusions, range/radius = Intelligence x 4 inches (following the guidelines for Phantasmal Forces in the original rulebook, p. 15).
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2009 at 3:31am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Re: Illusions A: Applications
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 1:41am
Print Post  
One more thing.

When applicable, I may use the Phantasmal Forces attack/defense type on the original rulebook combat table for actions regarding Illusions A.

Physical contact with any visual illusion usually will reveal that it is not solid (unless the illusion covers an already solid object).

It is up to the character controlling an illusion to determine how the illusion responds when hit.

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2009 at 2:12am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 2:14am
Print Post  
Thanks,  illusions are one of the hardest powers to role play.     And in the hands of an imaginative player,  very effective.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 2:33am
Print Post  
When my players tried to recruit new NPC's for their superteam, the one they were most impressed with was a guy that called himself Captain Spectacular.  When they asked what he could do, he said, "The better question is, what can I NOT do."
    He copied all their powers, and did some amazing feats, even miraculous ones.   
   It later turned out that he was Puck from A Midsummer's Night Dream using his Audible and Visual Illusions  and couldn't really powerblast anvils into dust, or pull out squid creatures from his own private pocket universe.
      They were still impressed with how he made everyone think he was all powerful.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 3:34am
Print Post  
John wrote on Dec 5th, 2009 at 2:14am:
Thanks,  illusions are one of the hardest powers to role play.     And in the hands of an imaginative player,  very effective.

Thanks. I'm glad you found these interesting/helpful. I also liked the way you incorporated Illusions and Shakespeare into your game.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
John wrote on Dec 5th, 2009 at 2:14am:

Agreed; Illusions B can also be extremely potent and effective in the hands of a creative, imaginative player.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
polarboy wrote on Dec 5th, 2009 at 1:41am:
One more thing.

When applicable, I may use the Phantasmal Forces attack/defense type on the original rulebook combat table for actions regarding Illusions A.

Physical contact with any visual illusion usually will reveal that it is not solid (unless the illusion covers an already solid object).

It is up to the character controlling an illusion to determine how the illusion responds when hit.

I've thought about incorporating some of the attack forms from the 1st Edition rulebook as well, but hesitated (not wanting to add too much complexity to our game).  Phantasmal Forces seems like one of those things that doesn't really fall into any other category, so it might be one that would be fun to use the original chart on.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Dec 5th, 2009 at 4:16pm:
I've thought about incorporating some of the attack forms from the 1st Edition rulebook as well, but hesitated (not wanting to add too much complexity to our game).  Phantasmal Forces seems like one of those things that doesn't really fall into any other category, so it might be one that would be fun to use the original chart on.

As a follow-up, here's more information about using that attack/defense type with Illusions A.

In the original rules, Phantasmal Forces has a base chance to hit of 16 against all defenses that convert into the revised rules except for Astral Projection (base = 0), Light Control (base = 3), Non-Corporealness (base = 0), and Willpower (base = 0; using the original defense type called Control of Self).

Here's how the Phantasmal Forces defense looks against the attack types converted into the revised rules.

CP DR EC FP FF GC HH IP LT LG MP MC PR PB SA TR VP
08 00 13 12 10 08  03 10 05 11 11 11  11 05 08 08 05
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2009 at 2:43am by polarboy »  

IP Logged

>