Poll
Poll Question: What's true of your super-team?

« Created by: Rick on: Dec 8th, 2009 at 5:18pm »
Normal Topic What's true of your super-team? (Read 1067 times)
Rick
Apprentice

What's true of your super-team?
Dec 8th, 2009 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Let's talk about the way hero groups work in our campaigns. You can vote in the poll and add more comments about the way heroes operate in your game.

IP Logged

Skydiver
Teen Titan

Re: What's true of your super-team?
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Oops.. I answered the quiz before I should have asked the following question:

Do you mean the NPC superhero groups of the campaigns? Or the PC super teams?
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2009 at 5:28pm by Skydiver »  

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Skydiver wrote on Dec 8th, 2009 at 5:27pm:
Oops.. I answered the quiz before I should have asked the following question:

Do you mean the NPC superhero groups of the campaigns? Or the PC super teams? 

I was thinking of the PCs. But the main point of the poll is to get people talking. So if you answered for your NPCs, it's not a problem.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:10am
Print Post  
I have GM'd several campaigns.  In one campaign, I had all of the PC's develop characters independant of each other.  They played solo adventures prior to having a group session, had drawings of their characters, and I even wrote short stories about them.  It was one of the worst campaigns I ever ran.  After the initial adventure, there was nothing to hold them together.  They all wanted to go their seperate ways.  It was a disaster.  They all had cool characters, but they all wanted to be "the" hero.

In my current campaign, I am playing with my sons, and they are playing older versions of themselves.  There is never any doubt as to whether they'll sacrifice themselves for one another, take a hit for one another, or leave someone behind.  I find the group stays together, and is much more cohesive than probably any other group I've seen.  They still have arguments, but in the end, they know they are going to stay together.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
I voted:
They work for the government
They are applauded by the general public
They have an advanced training facility

But my holy grail is to run or be a part of a team with a shared origin and/or theme. It happens often enough in the comics:
-the Teen Titans: all teen sidekicks
-the X-Men: all despised mutants (maybe each gets Predjudice,  1-4 rolls on the Powers table and 1 on the Skills to represent their danger room training? I know, Wolverine doesn't fit.)
-the FF: family and friends who knew each other before. (All accidental scientific and roll on Powers table only)
-the Inhumans: a family with the background of Hidden Civilization. Roll on Powers table only?
-the Elementals: all accidental supernatural, powers themed to the four elements
-the Legion of Superheroes: each has alien background, and gets Flight device as one of their powers
etc.

I see 'shared origin' got three votes. Anyone care to share their stories of shared origins?

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
My own campaign is dystopian. PCs are good, the world governments are essentially neutral. Players range from super-skilled and device-using (Daredevil, Watchmen) to those with accidental/unwanted mutations (X-Men, Doom Patrol). Most heroes have a personal reason for fighting crime, usually tied into their origin or connections.

The police and military do not like heroes, seeing them as a threat to law-and-order, and their own job security.

Super heroes who show wreckless violence, destroy property, or disregard the law are "drafted" to work for the government, where they are closely examined, monitored, and forced into service (sometimes deadly service).

Some, for example, get forced to work as guards (de facto inmates) to the international undersea prison colony (formerly Atlantis), where super-menaces get dumped/deserted.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2009 at 1:02pm by Rick »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
In my world, superpowers have only been in existance for about 2 years.   And they were discovered by a scientists studing ancient astronauts.  So far only the USA and a few rogues have access to the technology to creat super beings.   So the few supereheroes share a common orgion, work for the government and are rock stars.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

>