Normal Topic Re: How does Skyhawk compare to your average PCs? (Read 2923 times)
Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Re: How does Skyhawk compare to your average PCs?
Dec 14th, 2009 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
He's got a similar stat array to how I start PCs (18, 16, 14, 12, 10)
He's got similar powers/weaknesses to starting PCs
He's got lower than average hit points and power points

IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 14th, 2009 at 4:00pm:
He's got a similar stat array to how I start PCs (18, 16, 14, 12, 10)
He's got similar powers/weaknesses to starting PCs
He's got lower than average hit points and power points 

If he has similar stats, how does he have lower hit points and power points? Don't those go hand in hand?

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Rick wrote on Dec 14th, 2009 at 4:04pm:
If he has similar stats, how does he have lower hit points and power points? Don't those go hand in hand? 

I start the PCs with this array, usually: 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, which is pretty similar to Skyhawk.
But most of my PCs chose a Heightened Stat, which Skyhawk doesn't have.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
I'd say the average PC in our game would pummel Skyhawk... they usually get more than 3 powers, which means he rolled a two on his random d6 power roll.  So he rolled 4 powers and dropped one, then decided to keep the rest and the weakness.

Most of mine roll 4-6 powers, and they usually either get an attack and defense, or heightened abilities...

We've played a campaign with each PC getting three powers, and they did pretty well.  One PC's major ability was Heightened Senses.  He wasn't the power house of the group, but he ended up getting to do a lot of cool things because of his senses.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Yes, most of my players would cream Skyhawk in about two turns.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Rick
Apprentice

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Dec 14th, 2009 at 7:58pm:
I start the PCs with this array, usually: 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, which is pretty similar to Skyhawk.

Yep, I thought I'd be in the minority here.

My players start out as themselves, so no one gets any 16-18 scores as handouts. It usually takes a heightened ability to get 60 power points, as Skyhawk has.

Because of that he really is about standard for a low-level PC in my game, where 3-4 powers are average.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2009 at 11:16pm by Rick »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Yeah, he'd get creamed by just about every PC in our group.  He's got no defenses and only 19 Hit Points, so he's going to fall in a hit or two.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
I do use the random approach from the rulebook, and it ends up just that random.  I do sometimes modify powers/skills (for instance having force field based on Intelligence instead of Endurance for a "mental" hero).  If a character has an idea or concept for the character he wants to develop.  If he can pull all of his powers into a cool concept, and just needs one thing to make it work, I'll make that call.  I'm just as likely to ask the character to drop a power that doesn't work with his character concept, or to explain to me how he can make it "fit."

I do allow my players to create fictional characters for their PCs as I'm playing with a group of kids, I don't make them play themselves. They want to be adults, like the comic characters they see on TV.  I use the random character generation method for NPCs from the rulebook, I do allow 4d6 for ability scores, dropping the lowest die, but I don't see that un-balancing the game.  Two of the three current PCs have Agilities of 12. 

Using the random approach you end up with almost as many Thor characters as Iron Fists.  To say that you use random rolls and so your game is less powerful than most because we don't use the method from the rulebook is (I believe) incorrect.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2009 at 2:35pm by Hammer »  

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
I'm assuming Rick is using the "group assigns ability scores for each other" to represent themselves in real life.  Unless they aren't being honest or nice to each other, how many gamers do you expect to be putting near the top of the average person?  I would expect a group to give each other above average intelligence, but the physical stats get a bit tougher.

Heck, I'd give myself a 10-11 Str, 8-9 End (tend to get sick), back in college an 11-12 agility, but now probably 10.  And that is just me being realistic and realizing what the years have done to me, especially the last 15 as an office worker.  Pop in a 14 Int, and you don't have much to build on.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on Dec 16th, 2009 at 3:08pm:
I'm assuming Rick is using the "group assigns ability scores for each other" to represent themselves in real life.  Unless they aren't being honest or nice to each other, how many gamers do you expect to be putting near the top of the average person?  I would expect a group to give each other above average intelligence, but the physical stats get a bit tougher.

Heck, I'd give myself a 10-11 Str, 8-9 End (tend to get sick), back in college an 11-12 agility, but now probably 10.  And that is just me being realistic and realizing what the years have done to me, especially the last 15 as an office worker.  Pop in a 14 Int, and you don't have much to build on.

Yeah, add in the fact that many gamer types (at least many in my group) tend to fit the stereotype of a gamer physique (meaning they have 6 or more Basic Hits); to honestly figure out their CC would mean that their Strength and Endurance scores would be pretty low as well.  And most would probably have a below average Agility as well.  Some in my group would fit the gamer stereotype in having a pretty low Charisma as well.

I agree that the average Intelligence would be on the high end, though.

I like some of the things Rick pointed out as far as playing oneself (especially if it takes place in a dystopian, alternate world), but figure that "playing oneself" is probably best for players in their 20's or early 30's.  It's not quite as desireable for kids (as Hammer and I have kids that play now) or older folks (like many of us are becoming).    Wink

IP Logged

>