Normal Topic GM Ideas: Criminal Dossiers (Read 564 times)
polarboy
Justice Leaguer

GM Ideas: Criminal Dossiers
Dec 16th, 2009 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Some of my earliest players wanted information about the super villains at large. That seemed like a reasonable request. So I decided to adapt an idea already in place on the covers of the Most Wanted volumes.

The idea is to prepare basic dossiers of known major villains, with their pictures from the modules when possible (or general costume descriptions). Other information might include:

Identity: when known (or aliases they've used)

Sex: male/female (or question mark for shapeshifters, etc.)

Weight: usually the character's actual weight (or a question mark if their powers might somehow obscure their proportions)

Powers: names of established powers; or basic descriptions of known body/mutant powers and special weapons

Weaknesses: usually unknown

Background: nation of origin; knowledge areas; source of powers (when known)

Criminal Record: crimes committed

Villains who have been arrested, or covered extensively in the news, will have more information available than lesser known foes.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2009 at 2:35am by polarboy »  

mostwanted03.jpg ( 327 KB | 7 Downloads )
mostwanted03.jpg

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: GM Ideas: Criminal Dossiers
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
I think this is a fantastic idea, and it's one I've long wanted to implement in our Guardians campaign.

I've done it a bit, doing complete write-ups (with images, just like you describe) for a major villainous organization called the Alliance (when the PCs figured out they were the main adversary in the world, taking territory away even from Intercrime).

I also started up something similar, but with a bit smaller scale, when I decided to keep updated records on all of our villains on 3x5 cards.  I realized one day (as GMs continued to add more and more villains) that we had over 300 of them to draw on.  Rather than using some old villain that had menaced the group before, people's tendency was to make somebody new.  That's fine occasionally, but I would like to see more of the rich, textured layers of something like the X-Men, where you have recurring bad guys (from Magneto to the Sentinels) or a rouge's gallery like Batman, with opposition that you develop a history with.

So I put down most of the basics of what you mentioned: Name; Identity (if publically known); Height; Weight; Known superpowers; Whether they were incarcerated or not, if they have a Criminal Record or not, if they are currently Wanted; Country of Origin, and then I threw a small image (a color photocopy of their 1" marker) on there as well.  I also included a few other personal details (any groups or affiliations they had in the campaign, and what "issue numbers" of our "comics" they have appeared in).

Cool idea, polarboy!  I think such a thing can add a lot to any campaign!    Smiley

IP Logged

>