Normal Topic Favorite Holiday Specials/Movies (Read 1033 times)
Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Favorite Holiday Specials/Movies
Dec 23rd, 2009 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
This is only remotely hero related* but:

What are your favorite holiday shows?

I'll throw out three to start:

Elf: This is becoming my family's new holiday favorite. If we run into it while surfing, we can't leave it.
(*Elf was directed by the director of Iron Man.  Wink)

It's a Wonderful Life: I first saw this as a teen before they played it on NBC regularly and I was totally knocked out by this thing.

Charlie Brown Christmas: Great music, Snoopy, Linus' speech at the end.

Anyone else?
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:11pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: Favorite Holiday Specials/Movies
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Emett Otter's Jug Band Christmas  by Jim Hensen.

And my favorite, the Year Without A Santa Claus.  Love the Miser Brothers.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Captain Kurt
Sidekick

Gone Fishing

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
I liked the Big Bang Theory christmas episode!  That show is the best. Smiley

I used to like Charlie Brown until one of my friends explained his theory about how Linus is an attention-starved, yes-man. I haven't been able to watch the special ever sense. I'd tell you more, but I don't want to ruin the episode for anyone else. It was devastating.  Cry

The classic George C. Scott version of Christmas Carol is the best  Smiley

I also like the Muppet Christmas Carol because they show that Scrooge has a whole slew of employees, not just one. There's no way that he could have got rich running a two-man shop. It doesn't matter if you're a miser--you have to make money in order to save it.

Last year we saw the Klingon Christmas Carol on stage. It was funny. Tiny Tim wasn't meek, he was grumpy and proud of his battle wounded leg.  Smiley

IP Logged

Justice
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2009 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Hmmmmm... I don't think so, Captain.

Linus is patient - letting everyone have their say and be as loud and obnoxious and materialistic as they wish to be.

Then he gets in the middle and explains Christmas is about the birth of Christ. About hope and joy coming into a dark world that has so much artificiality and materialism.

Your friend may not have appreciated that message and colored it for you. It is cynically humorous, but incorrect, IMHO.

[Snoopy is the 'attention starved 'Yes man' - pay attention to how HE behaves]

Watch it again, Captain!  Kiss  Roll Eyes

Foom: You nailed it - though I haven't watched Elf. Replacing Elf with 'Miracle on 34th Street' and we have identical choices!

BTW - Its a Wonderful Life is basically the Forest Gump movie of '46 - except it was NOT well-liked originally.

One thing most people forget: the reality where George Bailey was never born has Twilight Zone levels of eerieness. The grandfatherly bemusement of Clarence a 2nd class angel, helps take the edge off.

You have fistfights, a child being abused by a drunk, gun fire, battling police, assaulting a woman in broad daylight (e.g. "Mary! I need you Mary!")...

Far scarier than people initially think.

Excellent film. Excellent.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2009 at 9:29pm by »  

IP Logged

Sylver Nightwind
Avenger

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2009 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
For me my most favourite is How the Grinch Stole Christmas.  It reminds me of my dad in the fact he used to tease me as a child and try to tell me he was the Grinch and didn't like Christmas when it was the total opposite - he loved it.

He passed away 15 years ago and when I really really miss him I watch it.  Makes me smile even through the tears.

So yeah, that's my most favourite.

Also LOVE Frosty the Snowman (I get teary-eyed every time I see the big guy melt), Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer, Charlie Brown Christmas, Alastair Sim's A Christmas Carol.  Just to name a few.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2009 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
I don't like Snoopy.  Charlie Brown feeds, shelters, and takes care of him, and Snoopy never misses an opportunity to bash him.   What an ungrateful pooch.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

>