Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) new sources books from fantasy games unlimited (Read 27751 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: new sources books from fantasy games unlimited
Reply #35 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:07pm:
Well, I can't give away all the secrets... but, here's a few tidbits.
A super prison is a natural. I feel that this is safe to talk about because I've frankly already discussed it in the past. This will probably be a larger, commercial release product instead of a freebie and will be held off a bit down the road for one good reason of quality- I have the rare opportunity to see the operations up a specialized correctional facility due to an internship. No point in creating now when I will walk out a handful of months from now with a personal insight into what I'm developing.

I worked corrections for many years, two jails, a medium security state prison, and for a private training firm that provided specialized correctional training (everything from basic cell extraction and riot control,  to hostage rescue operations), so I'm always interested in seeing people's takes on prisons, and jails.

As far as other stuff.... the first thing I ever worked on for FGU will be coming out as a commercial release down the road... can't say much about it but imagine a good book that also helps flesh out the surrounding world stuff and then some (such as organizations, new vehicles, etc.)

Sounds good, keep us updated, and let us know when you can say more.

There's a technoshamanism/electronic culture product in the works.... actually a very serious minded one, believe it or not.

This sound pretty interesting, as I'd really like to see some sort of mystic themed release.

Several new villains- one thing I use V&V for is a creativity jogger... I like to randomly roll up characters simply to present myself with new ideas.

You're not the only one, I've got a huge back stock of V&V stuff sitting on my hard drive.

As for the next freebie- there's going to be a snazzy dinner nightclub spot turned criminal hotspot- complete with tons of new stats for common folk.

Nice addition, any idea of when we can expect to see it?

Do keep in mind though that this is not a list of the "only things" coming out.... not by far. I'm not the only designer working in the V&V interest. Wink

If you're in contact with them, mind seeing if they'd be willing to drop by? And let Scott know, we'd love to hear from him too. Also, do you guys plan to share your views on any other topics we've got posted?

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #36 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
I will certainly pass it along! Smiley
As far as other topics... yes, over time. For now though I've got an unfinished map waiting for me to drop and drag some little letters over...  Wink
(My wife sums up my work with FGU by simply asking "are you sitting at the computer building parking lots again?"... Honestly, I could re-create Grand Central Station and stock it with 10,000 new villains and all she would recognize of it would be me copying and pasting my little car graphics in the parking spaces) Grin

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #37 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:27pm:
I will certainly pass it along! Smiley
As far as other topics... yes, over time. For now though I've got an unfinished map waiting for me to drop and drag some little letters over...  Wink
(My wife sums up my work with FGU by simply asking "are you sitting at the computer building parking lots again?"... Honestly, I could re-create Grand Central Station and stock it with 10,000 new villains and all she would recognize of it would be me copying and pasting my little car graphics in the parking spaces) Grin

LOL!  Funny, Dave.
When I tell my SO I'm working on V&V stuff, he says: "yay!" or "cool!"   Then when it's finished and published I have to keep reminding him to look at it... but at least he's enthusiastic.  Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:33pm by ssmith »  

Life... I'd explain it to you, but I flunked that course.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #38 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:50pm:
I'm not sure how anyone feels, but my personal opinion is that I'd rather see fewer releases, if it means we get a higher quality product.

I agree with this too.  What good is rushed out crap?   I've waited this long for new stuff,  I don't mind waiting a bit longer.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #39 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Oh, I thought I might be able to go as far as share this additional tidbit if anyone's interested....

As far as some of the new characters, elements, etc. that you see popping up in the freebies, there's a good chance that some of this new material is a sneak peak at later products to come (such as adventures and so forth)... not all, mind you... but some. Another nice element with the freebies is that it allows us to make a "shadowy" introduction of future entities that just may appear later on...

And, there's not really nothing on the development table at this time but don't be too surprised if you see another product or two down the road that caters to the lone hero (such as Alone In The Night did).... as the lone hero is such a staple of comic books and I know what its like to be short handed on gaming group participants (living in a very small community), I have a personal soft spot for small groups or lone quests.... again, nothing on the table, just something I personally would like to maybe explore later on.
Any thoughts on this?

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #40 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:29am
Print Post  
davew wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:22am:
And, there's not really nothing on the development table at this time but don't be too surprised if you see another product or two down the road that caters to the lone hero (such as Alone In The Night did).... as the lone hero is such a staple of comic books and I know what its like to be short handed on gaming group participants (living in a very small community), I have a personal soft spot for small groups or lone quests.... again, nothing on the table, just something I personally would like to maybe explore later on.
Any thoughts on this?

I loved Alone in the Night, and would like to see a similar product. I'd like to see it contain several mini-adventures geared toward varying level characters, say a brand new hero, a hero with a little time under his belt, and one for someone that's been doing it for years. Or a series of mini adventures that could be tied together as one long series of adventures.

YIM  
IP Logged

Jeff Dee
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #41 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 6:56pm:
at the risk of bringing up a touchy subject, are Dee and Herman ever coming back into this at FGU?

Hi, folks.

This is a great question, and the answer is, 'who knows'? FGU has not approached us. Which is understandable, given the last 25-odd years of tension between us. For my part, that tension was due entirely to FGU failing to do anything to promote V&V while at the same time refusing to relinquish the rights. If that has changed - if FGU actually intends to *promote* V&V again - then *I* am willing to let bygones be bygones. I'll contact Scott and see how he feels.

Troy wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 3:02pm:
I liked how you brought back references to characters from the original sources.

I should just caution FGU that they have no rights to use any of the characters that appeared in any of the original V&V adventures. Those rights were always reserved for the authors. Of course I can't speak for any of the other authors, but Jack and I do not currently grant FGU permission to use or reference any of our stuff. I haven't seen any of these recent freebies, but Majestic mentioned that there's a C.H.E.S.S. reference, and I would have to consider that a violation of our intellectual property. Which is not to say that we'd necessarily have a problem with it *if asked*. It's just that we haven't even been asked, which is a bit rude.

But anyway, enough with the negativity. I'm really hoping this all turns out to be very very good news.

-Jeff Dee
UNIgames

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #42 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Yes, I would love to see more Single Hero mods.  In own games I was never able to get more that 2 players at a time and often played with 1 PC.  We usually roled up a team of 3 to 4 PCs to be played by the Player.  While this works, it usually turns the mod into a combat/action fest because PC character interaction is low.

If there is concern that this will make too much a niche itme.  There can be a section to scale up to multiple characters. 

If played with 2 PC add these 1 villain in sections ...

If played with 4 pc add these 3 villains in sections ...

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #43 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Jeff Dee wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:42am:
I'm really hoping this all turns out to be very very good news.

-Jeff Dee
UNIgames

Smiley

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #44 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Jeff Dee wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:42am:
Hi, folks.

This is a great question, and the answer is, 'who knows'? FGU has not approached us. Which is understandable, given the last 25-odd years of tension between us. For my part, that tension was due entirely to FGU failing to do anything to promote V&V while at the same time refusing to relinquish the rights. If that has changed - if FGU actually intends to *promote* V&V again - then *I* am willing to let bygones be bygones. I'll contact Scott and see how he feels.

Well, if you guys manage to come to some sort of mutually beneficial agreement, I'll be more than willing to promote the hell out of it, every chance I get. Plus, I just might knock the dust off of a couple of proposals I've been sitting on, and submit them. And, welcome to boards Jeff, glad you took the time to stop by, and share your thoughts.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #45 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Fantastic to see Dave, Stacy, and Jeff here!  Welcome!!!

I'm truly hopeful that we can all put the past behind us and move forward into a new era of exciting V&V products!    Smiley

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #46 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
I too hope that Jeff and Scott can come to some sort of mutal agreement.  I would hate to have my favorite game's future growth soured.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #47 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:21pm:
I worked corrections for many years, two jails, a medium security state prison, and for a private training firm that provided specialized correctional training (everything from basic cell extraction and riot control,  to hostage rescue operations), so I'm always interested in seeing people's takes on prisons, and jails.

Like dsumner, I've got a lot of experience in this field; I've spent the last 15 years working in a County Jail, and have toured and visited numerous other facilities.  I think we'd both be glad to give any advice and input you'd care for, to make sure things are accurate.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #48 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 3:20pm:
dsumner wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:21pm:

Like dsumner, I've got a lot of experience in this field; I've spent the last 15 years working in a County Jail, and have toured and visited numerous other facilities.  I think we'd both be glad to give any advice and input you'd care for, to make sure things are accurate.

Majestic- Coolness and much appreciated! I've got some experience as well, but its more in the mental health restoration side of things. As V&V draws forth from the modern real world, I'm always open for insight into real world elements. Thanks!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #49 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
I got a new printer, so I just downloaded and printed out the three freebies.  I checked them out, but I can't read anything too long on a computer screen for some reason.   Now that I have a hard copy in my hand, I will read them in their entirty.

And as a funny aside, I meet a few people online a few years ago.  We met and played every Friday for a year, and their character got their powers responding to the magazine they were reporters for.  Guess what magazine?   Truthseekers!     You can find out the story highlights in my thread  of the same name in the House of Ideas.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #50 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
John- Haven't seen this yet, but will check out.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #51 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 5:41pm:
John- Haven't seen this yet, but will check out.

I just checked, its called the Seekers.  Its listed in my Campain Chronicles thread, but the actual write up is not posted.  I thought I had done it on this sight, but it must have been my old sight that went kaput.   I have to rewrite a great many things from that old place.   I have learned that backing up is a good thing.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #52 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply, Jeff Dee.
Great to see you here.
I hope everything works out for the best.

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #53 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
I concur with Foom!!

Great to see Jeff Dee here at this site!!

Please stick around.

I hope as well that past differences can be smoothed and severed ties rewoven. Whether or not new V&V material comes out aside, it would be good if the old feud could be laid to rest and bad blood washed away regardless.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #54 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
We're getting closer to the next release... I finished the cover a few nights ago, finished the room descriptions last night, Stacy's got the notable npcs down, I'm hoping that within 2 to 3 weeks you should see a release... maybe sooner...

IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #55 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:18pm:
We're getting closer to the next release... I finished the cover a few nights ago, finished the room descriptions last night, Stacy's got the notable npcs down, I'm hoping that within 2 to 3 weeks you should see a release... maybe sooner...

Yep, and may I add, folks, that Dave's cover looks amazing! But, his work usually does...  Cool

IP Logged

Troy
Teen Titan

Reply #56 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
ssmith wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:46pm:
Yep, and may I add, folks, that Dave's cover looks amazing! But, his work usually does...  

This is great news! My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you ... for reinvigorating V&V !!!

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #57 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Troy wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:50pm:
Yep, and may I add, folks, that Dave's cover looks amazing! But, his work usually does...  

This is great news! My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you ... for reinvigorating V&V !!!

Troy- be sure to also tell your uncle about it, I know that he's been skeptical and all... but I'm sure he'll eventually come around.  Grin

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #58 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:18pm:

Yep, and may I add, folks, that Dave's cover looks amazing! But, his work usually does...  Cool

Ahh, but the cover didn't really require that much of an effort on this one... the map, however, especially the lower level...
Which is alright, I had to make many new graphical bits for the map for this one but once they are made they go into my stock for eventual possible reuse later.

I think the trickiest was the overhead of the piano, well... that and a couple of certain tables downstairs, not to mention the strange new technologies...
the overhead of statues I had done that sort of thing before, when I was still doing fantasy game maps and all.

IP Logged

Troy
Teen Titan

Reply #59 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 10:43pm:
Troy- be sure to also tell your uncle about it, I know that he's been skeptical and all... but I'm sure he'll eventually come around.  

Will do. Cool

IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #60 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 9:36am
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 10:46pm:

"Ahh, but the cover didn't really require that much of an effort on this one... the map, however, especially the lower level...
Which is alright, I had to make many new graphical bits for the map for this one but once they are made they go into my stock for eventual possible reuse later.

I think the trickiest was the overhead of the piano, well... that and a couple of certain tables downstairs, not to mention the strange new technologies...
the overhead of statues I had done that sort of thing before, when I was still doing fantasy game maps and all."

You COULD just say, "thanks, Stacy," Dave...   Tongue  lol

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2010 at 9:37am by ssmith »  

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #61 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Well, yes, I could have... but that wouldn't have lead in to letting me give out a few hints of the upcoming product.  Cheesy

But thanks Stacy!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #62 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Looking forward to the next one!  I finally printed and read the Pawn Shop, and really enjoyed it.  The quality is very good, and I look forward to introducing it in one of our adventures.

I'd be glad to help out with any editing/proofreading help you guys want.  I've done quite a bit of it (a lot for gaming companies, even), and would gladly help out if you'd like.  Not that it was loaded with mistakes (just read and played Jeff Dee's "Intercrime: Hostile Takeover" yesterday and it had far more), but tiny mistakes are inevitable, and I've got a keen eye for spotting them (i.e., I'm one of those anal-types that spots minor glitches).   Smiley

But despite these extremely minor boo-boos, the stuff you guys have been doing are amazingly good.  I'm not a fan of the real-life photographs (would prefer comic-style art), but they still added to the cool look and feel of the products.  One of my players took the police station and had it done up (with actual 1" squares) with autoCAD, I understand (he used it in a session, but forgot the map at home).  I can imagine that a lot of V&V players are going to get a lot of use out of them, as they are extremely versatile and handy.  In fact, in some ways, they're better than adventures, in that you can use them more than once!

Thanks again for all the hard work you're doing, and don't hesitate to ask if you'd like any assistance!

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #63 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Majestic- Glad you enjoyed the projects!
I appreciate the offer with the editing and proofreading but honestly if that is something that you are interested in then it would need to go through the appropriate channels and all. In other words, as far as any FGU project, you would need to approach the powers to be, which would be Mr. Bizar, because although I do some of the layout as well as game design, writing, and graphics, Stacy and I are merely the designers and thus neither one of us really holds final say on such things.

We really do appreciate your interest, however, and are delighted that you enjoy our offerings. I myself was skeptical about the photo use (although it was partially my idea), but we have tried to keep it directed to where it is most suitable. And it helps with the need for art.
(On a happier note, I doubt that you will ever see the use of photos in the core product line... but the new map styles might appear if I'm lucky enough to get to do some of the mapping for the new main products)

IP Logged

Troy
Teen Titan

Reply #64 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 5th, 2010 at 9:15pm:
(On a happier note, I doubt that you will ever see the use of photos in the core product line... but the new map styles might appear if I'm lucky enough to get to do some of the mapping for the new main products)

The maps are great! I can't say enough how overjoyed my campaign buddies and I are to have these new sources! Cheesy

IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #65 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Troy wrote on Mar 5th, 2010 at 9:59pm:
The maps are great! I can't say enough how overjoyed my campaign buddies and I are to have these new sources! Cheesy

Thanks, Troy! Glad to hear you and your friends are enjoying the maps.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #66 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
The maps are wonderfully therapeutic for me... sometimes when I'm run down and can't think or do much of anything else I load up Paint (yes, Paint...) in a couple of screens and just start playing around.

IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #67 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 6th, 2010 at 8:37pm:
The maps are wonderfully therapeutic for me... sometimes when I'm run down and can't think or do much of anything else I load up Paint (yes, Paint...) in a couple of screens and just start playing around.

I never knew how much could be done in Paint until recently. Before Dave, all I used it for was saving Print Screens as JPEG's.  Now it's where I will draw my maps to continue my plans to create an enchanted city and.... oops, did I say that out loud?  Wink

Seriously, though, Dave has shown me how versatile Paint can be, so thanks for that, Dave.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #68 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Paint is a funny love of mine... I've had a great deal of gaming associates throughout the years recommend this program or that program but I've always gone back to paint... maybe its a leftover thing from my Commodore 64/128 days... but I prefer to hand draw and copy and paste in the images... in the end I can more closely get exactly what I want.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #69 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Your maps are amazing!  Tonight (I'm typing this while actually playing V&V at a table) my buddy brought his map (the one Dave made) for the police station.  This is the one I mentioned before - that his co-worker enlarged with AutoCAD - it looks incredible when every square is literally 1"!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools

>