Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) new sources books from fantasy games unlimited (Read 27579 times)
Harkker
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

new sources books from fantasy games unlimited
Jan 14th, 2010 at 10:54am
Print Post  
hey all in case you didnt hear, here are two new source books from fgu.... they are free, a pawn shop and cop shop

http://www.fantasygamesunlimited.net/page7.html

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: new sources books from fantasy games unlimited
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Could this be the start of a bunch of new stuff?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 10:51am
Print Post  
John wrote on Jan 20th, 2010 at 12:59am:
Could this be the start of a bunch of new stuff?

Supposedly, yes. The source books state that they are working on new materials, plus I know that Scott Bizar has several unpublished manuscripts (adventure modules and villain books) that he's had for a couple of decades. So we shall see how this works out.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
My cousin Jeff had sent an email to Scott Bizar about doing some artwork, his site is in the links on this forum, Hears of Fire.  Anyway, he got this response from Scott that I thought you guys might be interested in.

Hi Jeff,
>   Thanks for the info on your web site.  The art
> actually looks pretty darn good.
>   All of the art was from 2001.  What have you
> been doing since?  All were character illos, can you do
> action scenes?
> We could certainly give you a shot at doing up some art for
> an adventure.  You might also be interested in other
> things
> going on with V&V that are just beginning.
>   We are offering a set of adventure locales (with
> appropriate characters and adventure seeds) on the FGU web
> site for
> free.  If you look at those and like them, you might
> want to slightly expand your university locale (it looks a
> bit more
> like a college as I didn't see a full liberal arts
> department listing or enough dorms) with a discussion of how
> staff
> and professors could aid character heroes with clues and
> the like and a breakdown of some of the experts heroes
> could
> find there.
>   If that is of interest to  you, I will put you
> in touch with Dave Woodrum who is doing up the locales.
>   Similarly, we want to put up mini-adventures in the
> same format.
>   At the same time, we are beginning to collect
> longer, full-sized traditional V&V adventures, bigger
> locales filled with
> adventure plots, and even villain groups with
> headquarters.  Those will be put up as PDFs for prices
> of $2-$3.  When we
> have a good assortment, they will be combined into thicker
> (80-120 pages) V&V Giant books in print format.
>   Your idea for the Egyptian Adventure could be done
> as a free mini, or expanded into a larger adventure for
> inclusion in
> a Giant book. 
>   Ideally, we would have you try your hand at some
> illos for something free on the web site first, perhaps your
> own
> college/university location.  If it is a location PDF,
> we have used the floorplan (or the type plan you have
> showing on
> your web site) as the cover illustration.  Dave
> Woodrum would be able to help you put it together.
>   We would pay for art for any of the larger items
> which would be for profit for us.  Similarly, we pay
> royalties every
> six months on anything we sell.  PDFs pay a royalty of
> 1/2 of what I get (full price paid minus the fee we pay for
> the
> web site to David Harmer for running it).  When an
> actual book is printed, we pay 10% of gross receipts
> (usually the
> wholesale price).  A Giant Book will have a number of
> contributors, so the 10% royalty will be divided amongst
> the
> contributors on the basis of the page count of their
> contribution as a percentage of the total page count of the
> book.
>   Let me know if you are interested and what you might
> like to try to do.  I will put you in touch with Dave
> Woodrum if
> you want to do the locale approach first.
>   Thanks and best regards,
>   Scott (Scott B. Bizar)

Sounds promising to me...

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
This all sounds pretty awesome to me.  I'm looking forward to some new stuff!

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 8:44am
Print Post  
There's another new V&V freebie, Truth Seeker Weekly News, on the FGU website - http://www.fantasygamesunlimited.net/securefiles/Tabloid_Office.pdf

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 3:31am
Print Post  
This is awesome news!

I really like how they sprinkled in lots of mentions of various V&V characters and other items: Fleur de Lis, R.I.N.G., the Logrellians, C.H.E.S.S., Rocker, Doctor Apocalypse, etc.

It's really cool to see new stuff for our favorite superhero RPG!

Kudos to Scott, Dave, Stacy, and anyone else involved!

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Hi everyone! I was checking out the different V&V related interests online when I came across this forum- Okay, in reality I was being narcassitic and googling my own name-  Embarrassed  No, really. Since there seems to be some interest in the action locales that we are working on now I thought I would drop in, say "hi", and ask if there's anything in particular that you like, dislike, would like to see, comment about, etc.
Stacy Smith and I are currently working on a 4th that will actually be an "Action Playset" instead of an "Action Map".

Thanks for giving our new stuff a look and the comments so far!

Dave Woodrum
Fantasy Games Unlimited

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
All of the new material looks incredible--from the police station, to the pawn shop, to the extraterrestrial species stats in the tabloid newspaper pdf. These are great world-building resources!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
The stuff looks great!

Keep it coming!

Any adventure modules planned?

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
To all- Thanks for the kind comments, it really helps in keeping the ball rolling when the productive steam gets a little low. Wink
We would honestly have more out by now than the three but as the chief designer I've had a few non-game design related duties as of late that have slowed by progress down to half speed... but on a good note, one of them is a particular internship I'm serving for other interests that is allowing me to see the real life setup and interior of a specialized psychiatric prison.... so don't be too surprised if one of the larger projects down the road incorporates this valuable experience. Wink

Adventures- yes indeed! There are adventures planned... a few even partially completed. I've sorta side stepped full priority of the ones that I'm working on at the time in order to work on getting out at least a few more net freebies for the site.... we plan to make the net freebies a regular/semi-regular feature for the FGU site as time goes by but we'd like to at least offer half a dozen or more really solid locations to get things started.

I can say that the next one will be a hybrid of a typical location and a villain base of operations... well, at least a minor base of operations. This one will be called an "action playset" as opposed to an "action map" as its set up is more of a potential habitat for ongoing villainous activity. In case you are wondering about the "playset" term, I played with the idea of calling products this when I was still actively creating fantasy role playing products. I remembered the playsets of my childhood days that offered a location, accessories, and sometimes figure or two for an action figure toy series... I thought it would be fun to make "playsets" that featured locations, npcs, and maybe a new device or rule additive here and there for a gaming system... basically the playset would be different than an adventure module in the sense that it offered all the same background as an adventure but would allow you to utilize these surroundings for whatever sort of plot you wanted (as opposed to the traditional adventure where the plot is usually pre-set, so to speak).... same deal if you had the "Skully Fortress Of Doom" or whatever for your action figure toys back in the day.
That's the plans with the next one in a sense- it will be somewhat of an experiment to see how this would work for V&V locales. After that we'll probably deviate between a standard action location (since there are a million existing possibilities) and future "playsets".

I hope to possibly have the next release down by the end of the month- if not sooner. Naturally we want to make it right before release but hopefully the next installment is not that far away.

In the meantime, keep the interest going! I'm not only a desginer for V&V but also a diehard fan from way back and it simply thrilled me when I discovered a couple of years ago that Scott had quietly started shop back up and the book was the same as always- the same V&V that I knew and love years ago!

Thanks again and feel free to offer comments and suggestions anytime!

Dave Woodrum
Fantasy Games Unlimited

PS- I let Stacy know about the board so she may be dropping in as well later on.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2010 at 10:47pm by davew »  

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Yep, consider me dropped! Hi, folks, it's great to know people are enjoying the modules.  I owe Dave and Scott a huge thanks for letting me be a part of this!

Stacy

Life... I'd explain it to you, but I flunked that course.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Feb 25th, 2010 at 10:43am:
Hi everyone! I was checking out the different V&V related interests online when I came across this forum- Okay, in reality I was being narcassitic and googling my own name-  Embarrassed  No, really. Since there seems to be some interest in the action locales that we are working on now I thought I would drop in, say "hi", and ask if there's anything in particular that you like, dislike, would like to see, comment about, etc.
Stacy Smith and I are currently working on a 4th that will actually be an "Action Playset" instead of an "Action Map".

Thanks for giving our new stuff a look and the comments so far!

Dave Woodrum
Fantasy Games Unlimited

Dave, first off, welcome to the site, and I hope you'll check out some of the other sections we've here. I think it's great that we're getting new material, especially stuff that's being produced by a long time fan.

As far as my wish list goes, I'd like to see - 1) Old material get released 2) New Adventures - say something dealing with either magic, super prison, or an undersea adventure 3) An organization book detailing various bad guy groups.

Either way, it's good to see you here, and feel free to invite anyone else you want.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #13 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
ssmith wrote on Feb 25th, 2010 at 10:58pm:
Yep, consider me dropped! Hi, folks, it's great to know people are enjoying the modules.  I owe Dave and Scott a huge thanks for letting me be a part of this!

Stacy

Welcome, when you get some time, look around, and let us know what you think of the place.

YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the warm welcome and reception!
I can't speak for everything for FGU, of course, but I can say that I personally know that there are major plans for the release/re-release of older materials. One of the reasons that I enjoy working on the net freebies is it helps keep me active while I work between larger projects for the regular release... plus its a labor of love, of course!
There are a few bad guy groups already in the works- don't want to give away too much, of course, but there are some. A super prison is definitely on the planning board horizon, and though I do not personally know of an undersea adventure myself, that's something that could be a possible route down the road.... especially seeing that undersea heroes and/or villains are a staple of the super hero genre.

Thanks for inviting me and Stacy on! We are both very fan conscious and while we can't guarantee release of all suggestions (or at least immediate release due to the other many projects already on the design table), we are certainly up for doing our best to please.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #15 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Feb 25th, 2010 at 11:22pm:
I can't speak for everything for FGU, of course, but I can say that I personally know that there are major plans for the release/re-release of older materials. One of the reasons that I enjoy working on the net freebies is it helps keep me active while I work between larger projects for the regular release... plus its a labor of love, of course!
There are a few bad guy groups already in the works- don't want to give away too much, of course, but there are some. A super prison is definitely on the planning board horizon, and though I do not personally know of an undersea adventure myself, that's something that could be a possible route down the road.... especially seeing that undersea heroes and/or villains are a staple of the super hero genre.

Thanks for inviting me and Stacy on! We are both very fan conscious and while we can't guarantee release of all suggestions (or at least immediate release due to the other many projects already on the design table), we are certainly up for doing our best to please.

Dave, thanks for the quick response. If you and Stacy get some time, swing by the welcome section, and formally introduce your self. Most of the folks here are long time V&V fans, and love to hear from like minded people. Also, thanks for the info on possible future releases.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #16 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Welcome.  Its good to know that there will be some more good stuff to look forward to from our favorite game.

IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #17 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 12:04am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Feb 25th, 2010 at 11:08pm:
Welcome, when you get some time, look around, and let us know what you think of the place. 

I certainly will.  I'm looking forward to it! I'll introduce myself in the welcome section, too. But first, maybe some sleep. lol

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #18 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 12:39am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Feb 25th, 2010 at 11:39pm:
davew wrote on Feb 25th, 2010 at 11:22pm:

Dave, thanks for the quick response. If you and Stacy get some time, swing by the welcome section, and formally introduce your self. Most of the folks here are long time V&V fans, and love to hear from like minded people. Also, thanks for the info on possible future releases.

I'm the same way... first and foremost: a long time fan. I still thank my lucky stars that I've got the chance to work on developing new material for V&V and I try to do my best to create products that reflect the changes in the world that have happened over the last 20 years or so (the internet, cultural changes, major historical events, etc.) while still keeping the true V&V flavor alive. I enjoy reading everyone's comments about V&V because I'm a fan myself. And I'm beyond flattered about the great, positive response we've received so far in regards to the net freebies. I was worried about some of the different graphic approaches we made with these (especially the pics of me that we used from my brief period in local pro-wrestling as Slik Slander (  Embarrassed gasp!)) but then the format of free products allow us to test around with presentation concepts we would otherwise initially avoid shoving into standard commercial products.... as we are especially concerned about providing V&V the way it was, the way people fondly remember it.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #19 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 2:19am
Print Post  
davew wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 12:39am:
I was worried about some of the different graphic approaches we made with these (especially the pics of me that we used from my brief period in local pro-wrestling as Slik Slander (  Embarrassed gasp!)) but then the format of free products allow us to test around with presentation concepts we would otherwise initially avoid shoving into standard commercial products.... as we are especially concerned about providing V&V the way it was, the way people fondly remember it.

So will future for sale releases be closer in look to the original releases?

YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #20 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 3:07am
Print Post  
As from what I've heard (remember, I just work on certain projects), yes. There may be the possibility that I will be doing some of the map work for future sale releases (if so, these will be similiar map wise to the freebies) but the art work will be more true to the V&V standard. It is the intention to keep V&V close to expected feel as much as possible but there could be a few new elements here and there. The freebies allow us to play around with newer concepts in art and graphics more, however, in order to gain feedback and such from the community.

IP Logged

Troy
Teen Titan

Reply #21 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
The maps look great on the three new resources. Thanks for all of your work!!!

IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #22 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Troy wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 12:44pm:
The maps look great on the three new resources. Thanks for all of your work!!!

Dave does the actual maps, and I co-write the descriptions with him. That's mainly what I do: write descriptions, characters and with the Tabloid one, lots of "quality" news stories. I'm sure he'll love to hear this. He really does an excellent job!
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2010 at 2:26pm by ssmith »  

IP Logged

Troy
Teen Titan

Reply #23 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
I read all the tabloid articles last night. I liked how you brought back references to characters from the original sources. Plus, I always thought it would be fun to have a brand of moonshine or near beer that made people think they got powers--and lo and behold, it was in the magazine!

I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am to see new products!

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #24 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Troy,
Glad you like the stuff! We are looking forward to making quite a few more of these as time goes on... actually, if I can just get my speed back up to par I'd love to do dozens and dozens of them... there are a million possible places that a bit of comic book action could happen and I'd love to cover as many of them as possible.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #25 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 3:07am:
...but the art work will be more true to the V&V standard. It is the intention to keep V&V close to expected feel as much as possible...

Glad to hear it. Great to see you two here.
Are you primarily targetting us hardcore, 40-something, old school fans, kind of like Castles and Crusades does, or new players?

Also, at the risk of bringing up a touchy subject, are Dee and Herman ever coming back into this at FGU?
Not looking to stir anything up. Just genuinely curious. Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #26 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 6:56pm:
Also, at the risk of bringing up a touchy subject, are Dee and Herman ever coming back into this at FGU?
Not looking to stir anything up. Just genuinely curious. Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

DF, from my last little online conversation with Jeff, I can't see it happening, but, Jeff's stated he's open to trying to work something out. I really Jeff, Jack, and Scott could all come to some sort of mutual business agreement, and put the last couple of decades behind them.

YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #27 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Honestly, in regards to the latter question... I stay out of politics. I really don't have a great deal of knowledge regarding the past issues myself and really prefer to keep it that way. I am a fan of V&V, I am a fan of Jeff Dee's work, I'm a fan of Jack's work, I am a fan of FGU's stuff, Scott has been very good to me and I enjoy working for him so thus naturally I'm a big fan of Mr. Bizar, and what may have happened in the past happened before my entrance into the fold and I keep my concentrations focused on providing the best I can provide in regards to V&V and stay out of anything else. I guess you could say that in this case "ignorance is bliss" Smiley
I can understand, as a fan, the questions, but I prefer to focus on the happier aspects... that is more stuff for an awesome game! I say let's celebrate it for what it is... regardless of negatives, all sides in the mention have worked together at some point in the past to grace us gamers with a very fine product and I prefer just to champion that fact, and keep myself out of the rest if at all possible.
Okay, on to the next question....
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:25pm by davew »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #28 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:21pm:
Honestly, in regards to the latter question... I stay out of politics. I really don't have a great deal of knowledge regarding the past issues myself and really prefer to keep it that way. I am a fan of V&V, I am a fan of Jeff Dee's work, I'm a fan of Jack's work, I am a fan of FGU's stuff, Scott has been very good to me and I enjoy working for him so thus naturally I'm a big fan of Mr. Bizar, and what may have happened in the past happened before my entrance into the fold and I keep my concentrations focused on providing the best I can provide in regards to V&V and stay out of anything else. I guess you could say that in this case "ignorance is bliss" Smiley
I can understand, as a fan, the questions, but I prefer to focus on the happier aspects... that is more stuff for an awesome game! I say let's celebrate it for what it is... regardless of negatives, all sides in the mention have worked together at some point in the past to grace us gamers with a very fine product and I prefer just to champion that fact, and keep myself out of the rest if at all possible.
Okay, on to the next question....

Good answer. As far as questions go, here's my list. When can we expect to see the first print or PDF release? What price range are we looking at for any new products? And what type of release schedule are we looking at? Monthly, bi- monthly, quarterly?
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:29pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #29 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Fair enough, Dave. Thanks.

Are you primarily targetting us hardcore, 40-something, old school fans, kind of like Castles and Crusades does, or new players?

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:30pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #30 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Okay, the other question... in regards to consumer targeting, I can say that there is probably a heavy consideration towards targeting the existing V&V interest... this, imo, would probably include a great influence on 30 something and 40 something gamers. This is something else I'm probably not at a huge amount of liberty to discuss as FGU is not my company to run, so to speak, as I'm just a designer, but there is that natural sway towards such a lean.
That is not to say that we would'nt like to see tons of new gamers out there, of course.
What I guess I can say is this... in the element of V&V we are interested in marketing that which is V&V to those that want to see V&V. A bit cryptic, yes, but you can probably get the idea.  Wink
On that note, probably the greatest fear that I've had is whether or not I would regret the addition of the photo stock and more modernized graphics in the police station and the tabloid... I didn't want the gaming audience to think that we were out to radically change V&V... it was just that the different look worked at the time for both products (the mug shots for the police station and the photo stock for the tabloid... as well as the fake covers).

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #31 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
>>>As far as questions go, here's my list. When can we expect to see the first print or PDF release? What price range are we looking at for any new products? And what type of release schedule are we looking at? Monthly, bi- monthly, quarterly?

You know, I'd love to answer that but I honestly don't know the actual answer myself.  Again, I'm primarily a product designer and the latter stages of production to publication are out of my sphere of concentration. I do know that Scott is working very hard to re-release many FGU products, including V&V, and releases are definitely planned to be out ASAP. FGU naturally wants to see products out as soon as possible, but the products should also be done slowly enough to ensure a sense of quality in care... which is being done. I can say that in regards to the commercial products there is an interest in keeping the line as truthful to the look and feel of V&V as possible... which is also true with freebie lines but I can say that Stacy and I have a bit more allowance of experimental play in that area. Again, we want to make sure that V&V is marketed for the interests of V&V... again, that's probably cryptic but if you know and love V&V, you know what you love and we want to keep that sensation going.
As for the freebies, they come out on a semi-regular basis. The product size on these can change depending on the focus of the product, and that can either speed up or slow down production. My eventual goal, if possible, would be to release a couple of freebies a month but right now I would say that roughly 1 new freebie a month will be a rough estimate on their release.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #32 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure how anyone feels, but my personal opinion is that I'd rather see fewer releases, if it means we get a higher quality product. I'd rather see you guys take the time to put out something you feel comfortable with putting your name on. But with that said, mind throwing us a bone on what you've got planned for the near future?

YIM  
IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #33 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:43pm:
You know, I'd love to answer that but I honestly don't know the actual answer myself.  Again, I'm primarily a product designer and the latter stages of production to publication are out of my sphere of concentration. I do know that Scott is working very hard to re-release many FGU products, including V&V, and releases are definitely planned to be out ASAP. FGU naturally wants to see products out as soon as possible, but the products should also be done slowly enough to ensure a sense of quality in care... which is being done. I can say that in regards to the commercial products there is an interest in keeping the line as truthful to the look and feel of V&V as possible... which is also true with freebie lines but I can say that Stacy and I have a bit more allowance of experimental play in that area. Again, we want to make sure that V&V is marketed for the interests of V&V... again, that's probably cryptic but if you know and love V&V, you know what you love and we want to keep that sensation going.
As for the freebies, they come out on a semi-regular basis. The product size on these can change depending on the focus of the product, and that can either speed up or slow down production. My eventual goal, if possible, would be to release a couple of freebies a month but right now I would say that roughly 1 new freebie a month will be a rough estimate on their release.

I completely agree with Dave: while in a way it would be great to "churn out" products, it's more important to us that quality not be sacrificed.  This is a great system, and I think I can speak for all of us at FGU when I say we want to keep up the high standards.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #34 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:50pm:
I'm not sure how anyone feels, but my personal opinion is that I'd rather see fewer releases, if it means we get a higher quality product. I'd rather see you guys take the time to put out something you feel comfortable with putting your name on. But with that said, mind throwing us a bone on what you've got planned for the near future? 

Well, I can't give away all the secrets... but, here's a few tidbits.
A super prison is a natural. I feel that this is safe to talk about because I've frankly already discussed it in the past. This will probably be a larger, commercial release product instead of a freebie and will be held off a bit down the road for one good reason of quality- I have the rare opportunity to see the operations up a specialized correctional facility due to an internship. No point in creating now when I will walk out a handful of months from now with a personal insight into what I'm developing.
As far as other stuff.... the first thing I ever worked on for FGU will be coming out as a commercial release down the road... can't say much about it but imagine a good book that also helps flesh out the surrounding world stuff and then some (such as organizations, new vehicles, etc.)
There's a technoshamanism/electronic culture product in the works.... actually a very serious minded one, believe it or not. Several new villains- one thing I use V&V for is a creativity jogger... I like to randomly roll up characters simply to present myself with new ideas.
As for the next freebie- there's going to be a snazzy dinner nightclub spot turned criminal hotspot- complete with tons of new stats for common folk.

We've got tons of ideas, as a matter of fact...

Do keep in mind though that this is not a list of the "only things" coming out.... not by far. I'm not the only designer working in the V&V interest. Wink

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #35 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:07pm:
Well, I can't give away all the secrets... but, here's a few tidbits.
A super prison is a natural. I feel that this is safe to talk about because I've frankly already discussed it in the past. This will probably be a larger, commercial release product instead of a freebie and will be held off a bit down the road for one good reason of quality- I have the rare opportunity to see the operations up a specialized correctional facility due to an internship. No point in creating now when I will walk out a handful of months from now with a personal insight into what I'm developing.

I worked corrections for many years, two jails, a medium security state prison, and for a private training firm that provided specialized correctional training (everything from basic cell extraction and riot control,  to hostage rescue operations), so I'm always interested in seeing people's takes on prisons, and jails.

As far as other stuff.... the first thing I ever worked on for FGU will be coming out as a commercial release down the road... can't say much about it but imagine a good book that also helps flesh out the surrounding world stuff and then some (such as organizations, new vehicles, etc.)

Sounds good, keep us updated, and let us know when you can say more.

There's a technoshamanism/electronic culture product in the works.... actually a very serious minded one, believe it or not.

This sound pretty interesting, as I'd really like to see some sort of mystic themed release.

Several new villains- one thing I use V&V for is a creativity jogger... I like to randomly roll up characters simply to present myself with new ideas.

You're not the only one, I've got a huge back stock of V&V stuff sitting on my hard drive.

As for the next freebie- there's going to be a snazzy dinner nightclub spot turned criminal hotspot- complete with tons of new stats for common folk.

Nice addition, any idea of when we can expect to see it?

Do keep in mind though that this is not a list of the "only things" coming out.... not by far. I'm not the only designer working in the V&V interest. Wink

If you're in contact with them, mind seeing if they'd be willing to drop by? And let Scott know, we'd love to hear from him too. Also, do you guys plan to share your views on any other topics we've got posted?

YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #36 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
I will certainly pass it along! Smiley
As far as other topics... yes, over time. For now though I've got an unfinished map waiting for me to drop and drag some little letters over...  Wink
(My wife sums up my work with FGU by simply asking "are you sitting at the computer building parking lots again?"... Honestly, I could re-create Grand Central Station and stock it with 10,000 new villains and all she would recognize of it would be me copying and pasting my little car graphics in the parking spaces) Grin

IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #37 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:27pm:
I will certainly pass it along! Smiley
As far as other topics... yes, over time. For now though I've got an unfinished map waiting for me to drop and drag some little letters over...  Wink
(My wife sums up my work with FGU by simply asking "are you sitting at the computer building parking lots again?"... Honestly, I could re-create Grand Central Station and stock it with 10,000 new villains and all she would recognize of it would be me copying and pasting my little car graphics in the parking spaces) Grin

LOL!  Funny, Dave.
When I tell my SO I'm working on V&V stuff, he says: "yay!" or "cool!"   Then when it's finished and published I have to keep reminding him to look at it... but at least he's enthusiastic.  Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:33pm by ssmith »  

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #38 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:50pm:
I'm not sure how anyone feels, but my personal opinion is that I'd rather see fewer releases, if it means we get a higher quality product.

I agree with this too.  What good is rushed out crap?   I've waited this long for new stuff,  I don't mind waiting a bit longer.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #39 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Oh, I thought I might be able to go as far as share this additional tidbit if anyone's interested....

As far as some of the new characters, elements, etc. that you see popping up in the freebies, there's a good chance that some of this new material is a sneak peak at later products to come (such as adventures and so forth)... not all, mind you... but some. Another nice element with the freebies is that it allows us to make a "shadowy" introduction of future entities that just may appear later on...

And, there's not really nothing on the development table at this time but don't be too surprised if you see another product or two down the road that caters to the lone hero (such as Alone In The Night did).... as the lone hero is such a staple of comic books and I know what its like to be short handed on gaming group participants (living in a very small community), I have a personal soft spot for small groups or lone quests.... again, nothing on the table, just something I personally would like to maybe explore later on.
Any thoughts on this?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #40 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:29am
Print Post  
davew wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:22am:
And, there's not really nothing on the development table at this time but don't be too surprised if you see another product or two down the road that caters to the lone hero (such as Alone In The Night did).... as the lone hero is such a staple of comic books and I know what its like to be short handed on gaming group participants (living in a very small community), I have a personal soft spot for small groups or lone quests.... again, nothing on the table, just something I personally would like to maybe explore later on.
Any thoughts on this?

I loved Alone in the Night, and would like to see a similar product. I'd like to see it contain several mini-adventures geared toward varying level characters, say a brand new hero, a hero with a little time under his belt, and one for someone that's been doing it for years. Or a series of mini adventures that could be tied together as one long series of adventures.

YIM  
IP Logged

Jeff Dee
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #41 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Doctor Foom wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 6:56pm:
at the risk of bringing up a touchy subject, are Dee and Herman ever coming back into this at FGU?

Hi, folks.

This is a great question, and the answer is, 'who knows'? FGU has not approached us. Which is understandable, given the last 25-odd years of tension between us. For my part, that tension was due entirely to FGU failing to do anything to promote V&V while at the same time refusing to relinquish the rights. If that has changed - if FGU actually intends to *promote* V&V again - then *I* am willing to let bygones be bygones. I'll contact Scott and see how he feels.

Troy wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 3:02pm:
I liked how you brought back references to characters from the original sources.

I should just caution FGU that they have no rights to use any of the characters that appeared in any of the original V&V adventures. Those rights were always reserved for the authors. Of course I can't speak for any of the other authors, but Jack and I do not currently grant FGU permission to use or reference any of our stuff. I haven't seen any of these recent freebies, but Majestic mentioned that there's a C.H.E.S.S. reference, and I would have to consider that a violation of our intellectual property. Which is not to say that we'd necessarily have a problem with it *if asked*. It's just that we haven't even been asked, which is a bit rude.

But anyway, enough with the negativity. I'm really hoping this all turns out to be very very good news.

-Jeff Dee
UNIgames

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #42 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Yes, I would love to see more Single Hero mods.  In own games I was never able to get more that 2 players at a time and often played with 1 PC.  We usually roled up a team of 3 to 4 PCs to be played by the Player.  While this works, it usually turns the mod into a combat/action fest because PC character interaction is low.

If there is concern that this will make too much a niche itme.  There can be a section to scale up to multiple characters. 

If played with 2 PC add these 1 villain in sections ...

If played with 4 pc add these 3 villains in sections ...

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #43 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Jeff Dee wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:42am:
I'm really hoping this all turns out to be very very good news.

-Jeff Dee
UNIgames

Smiley

- Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #44 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Jeff Dee wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:42am:
Hi, folks.

This is a great question, and the answer is, 'who knows'? FGU has not approached us. Which is understandable, given the last 25-odd years of tension between us. For my part, that tension was due entirely to FGU failing to do anything to promote V&V while at the same time refusing to relinquish the rights. If that has changed - if FGU actually intends to *promote* V&V again - then *I* am willing to let bygones be bygones. I'll contact Scott and see how he feels.

Well, if you guys manage to come to some sort of mutually beneficial agreement, I'll be more than willing to promote the hell out of it, every chance I get. Plus, I just might knock the dust off of a couple of proposals I've been sitting on, and submit them. And, welcome to boards Jeff, glad you took the time to stop by, and share your thoughts.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #45 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Fantastic to see Dave, Stacy, and Jeff here!  Welcome!!!

I'm truly hopeful that we can all put the past behind us and move forward into a new era of exciting V&V products!    Smiley

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #46 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
I too hope that Jeff and Scott can come to some sort of mutal agreement.  I would hate to have my favorite game's future growth soured.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #47 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:21pm:
I worked corrections for many years, two jails, a medium security state prison, and for a private training firm that provided specialized correctional training (everything from basic cell extraction and riot control,  to hostage rescue operations), so I'm always interested in seeing people's takes on prisons, and jails.

Like dsumner, I've got a lot of experience in this field; I've spent the last 15 years working in a County Jail, and have toured and visited numerous other facilities.  I think we'd both be glad to give any advice and input you'd care for, to make sure things are accurate.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #48 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 3:20pm:
dsumner wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 8:21pm:

Like dsumner, I've got a lot of experience in this field; I've spent the last 15 years working in a County Jail, and have toured and visited numerous other facilities.  I think we'd both be glad to give any advice and input you'd care for, to make sure things are accurate.

Majestic- Coolness and much appreciated! I've got some experience as well, but its more in the mental health restoration side of things. As V&V draws forth from the modern real world, I'm always open for insight into real world elements. Thanks!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #49 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
I got a new printer, so I just downloaded and printed out the three freebies.  I checked them out, but I can't read anything too long on a computer screen for some reason.   Now that I have a hard copy in my hand, I will read them in their entirty.

And as a funny aside, I meet a few people online a few years ago.  We met and played every Friday for a year, and their character got their powers responding to the magazine they were reporters for.  Guess what magazine?   Truthseekers!     You can find out the story highlights in my thread  of the same name in the House of Ideas.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #50 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
John- Haven't seen this yet, but will check out.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #51 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Feb 27th, 2010 at 5:41pm:
John- Haven't seen this yet, but will check out.

I just checked, its called the Seekers.  Its listed in my Campain Chronicles thread, but the actual write up is not posted.  I thought I had done it on this sight, but it must have been my old sight that went kaput.   I have to rewrite a great many things from that old place.   I have learned that backing up is a good thing.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #52 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply, Jeff Dee.
Great to see you here.
I hope everything works out for the best.

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #53 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
I concur with Foom!!

Great to see Jeff Dee here at this site!!

Please stick around.

I hope as well that past differences can be smoothed and severed ties rewoven. Whether or not new V&V material comes out aside, it would be good if the old feud could be laid to rest and bad blood washed away regardless.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #54 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
We're getting closer to the next release... I finished the cover a few nights ago, finished the room descriptions last night, Stacy's got the notable npcs down, I'm hoping that within 2 to 3 weeks you should see a release... maybe sooner...

IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #55 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:18pm:
We're getting closer to the next release... I finished the cover a few nights ago, finished the room descriptions last night, Stacy's got the notable npcs down, I'm hoping that within 2 to 3 weeks you should see a release... maybe sooner...

Yep, and may I add, folks, that Dave's cover looks amazing! But, his work usually does...  Cool

IP Logged

Troy
Teen Titan

Reply #56 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
ssmith wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:46pm:
Yep, and may I add, folks, that Dave's cover looks amazing! But, his work usually does...  

This is great news! My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you ... for reinvigorating V&V !!!

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #57 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Troy wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:50pm:
Yep, and may I add, folks, that Dave's cover looks amazing! But, his work usually does...  

This is great news! My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you ... for reinvigorating V&V !!!

Troy- be sure to also tell your uncle about it, I know that he's been skeptical and all... but I'm sure he'll eventually come around.  Grin

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #58 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:18pm:

Yep, and may I add, folks, that Dave's cover looks amazing! But, his work usually does...  Cool

Ahh, but the cover didn't really require that much of an effort on this one... the map, however, especially the lower level...
Which is alright, I had to make many new graphical bits for the map for this one but once they are made they go into my stock for eventual possible reuse later.

I think the trickiest was the overhead of the piano, well... that and a couple of certain tables downstairs, not to mention the strange new technologies...
the overhead of statues I had done that sort of thing before, when I was still doing fantasy game maps and all.

IP Logged

Troy
Teen Titan

Reply #59 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 10:43pm:
Troy- be sure to also tell your uncle about it, I know that he's been skeptical and all... but I'm sure he'll eventually come around.  

Will do. Cool

IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #60 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 9:36am
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 10:46pm:

"Ahh, but the cover didn't really require that much of an effort on this one... the map, however, especially the lower level...
Which is alright, I had to make many new graphical bits for the map for this one but once they are made they go into my stock for eventual possible reuse later.

I think the trickiest was the overhead of the piano, well... that and a couple of certain tables downstairs, not to mention the strange new technologies...
the overhead of statues I had done that sort of thing before, when I was still doing fantasy game maps and all."

You COULD just say, "thanks, Stacy," Dave...   Tongue  lol

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2010 at 9:37am by ssmith »  

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #61 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Well, yes, I could have... but that wouldn't have lead in to letting me give out a few hints of the upcoming product.  Cheesy

But thanks Stacy!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #62 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Looking forward to the next one!  I finally printed and read the Pawn Shop, and really enjoyed it.  The quality is very good, and I look forward to introducing it in one of our adventures.

I'd be glad to help out with any editing/proofreading help you guys want.  I've done quite a bit of it (a lot for gaming companies, even), and would gladly help out if you'd like.  Not that it was loaded with mistakes (just read and played Jeff Dee's "Intercrime: Hostile Takeover" yesterday and it had far more), but tiny mistakes are inevitable, and I've got a keen eye for spotting them (i.e., I'm one of those anal-types that spots minor glitches).   Smiley

But despite these extremely minor boo-boos, the stuff you guys have been doing are amazingly good.  I'm not a fan of the real-life photographs (would prefer comic-style art), but they still added to the cool look and feel of the products.  One of my players took the police station and had it done up (with actual 1" squares) with autoCAD, I understand (he used it in a session, but forgot the map at home).  I can imagine that a lot of V&V players are going to get a lot of use out of them, as they are extremely versatile and handy.  In fact, in some ways, they're better than adventures, in that you can use them more than once!

Thanks again for all the hard work you're doing, and don't hesitate to ask if you'd like any assistance!

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #63 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Majestic- Glad you enjoyed the projects!
I appreciate the offer with the editing and proofreading but honestly if that is something that you are interested in then it would need to go through the appropriate channels and all. In other words, as far as any FGU project, you would need to approach the powers to be, which would be Mr. Bizar, because although I do some of the layout as well as game design, writing, and graphics, Stacy and I are merely the designers and thus neither one of us really holds final say on such things.

We really do appreciate your interest, however, and are delighted that you enjoy our offerings. I myself was skeptical about the photo use (although it was partially my idea), but we have tried to keep it directed to where it is most suitable. And it helps with the need for art.
(On a happier note, I doubt that you will ever see the use of photos in the core product line... but the new map styles might appear if I'm lucky enough to get to do some of the mapping for the new main products)

IP Logged

Troy
Teen Titan

Reply #64 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 5th, 2010 at 9:15pm:
(On a happier note, I doubt that you will ever see the use of photos in the core product line... but the new map styles might appear if I'm lucky enough to get to do some of the mapping for the new main products)

The maps are great! I can't say enough how overjoyed my campaign buddies and I are to have these new sources! Cheesy

IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #65 - Mar 5th, 2010 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Troy wrote on Mar 5th, 2010 at 9:59pm:
The maps are great! I can't say enough how overjoyed my campaign buddies and I are to have these new sources! Cheesy

Thanks, Troy! Glad to hear you and your friends are enjoying the maps.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #66 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
The maps are wonderfully therapeutic for me... sometimes when I'm run down and can't think or do much of anything else I load up Paint (yes, Paint...) in a couple of screens and just start playing around.

IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #67 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 6th, 2010 at 8:37pm:
The maps are wonderfully therapeutic for me... sometimes when I'm run down and can't think or do much of anything else I load up Paint (yes, Paint...) in a couple of screens and just start playing around.

I never knew how much could be done in Paint until recently. Before Dave, all I used it for was saving Print Screens as JPEG's.  Now it's where I will draw my maps to continue my plans to create an enchanted city and.... oops, did I say that out loud?  Wink

Seriously, though, Dave has shown me how versatile Paint can be, so thanks for that, Dave.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #68 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Paint is a funny love of mine... I've had a great deal of gaming associates throughout the years recommend this program or that program but I've always gone back to paint... maybe its a leftover thing from my Commodore 64/128 days... but I prefer to hand draw and copy and paste in the images... in the end I can more closely get exactly what I want.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #69 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Your maps are amazing!  Tonight (I'm typing this while actually playing V&V at a table) my buddy brought his map (the one Dave made) for the police station.  This is the one I mentioned before - that his co-worker enlarged with AutoCAD - it looks incredible when every square is literally 1"!

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #70 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Majestic- Glad that it worked out on the 1" scale... I've been curious to see how they would turn out but have been a bit nervous because a few things naturally would look a wee bit funny at that level (such as the coffee station...)

Thanks for the compliment though! When I first started creating the modern maps (actually V&V is my first serious modern mapping attempt- I just did fantasy before that), I wanted to try to achieve a medium between "fancy details" and ease of viewing. This may be a throw back to being a child of the 80's but I honestly prefer simplier, easy to view maps over the elaborately detailed maps that I started to see in rpging by the early 21st century.... granted all the lush textures are nice and pretty but many of these maps were impossible for me to look at after I had printed them off, especially on a black and white printer.
On a note of interest- the toliets have changed. The upcoming project will feature the new toliet that is smaller as I have been bothered by the fact that the toliet has been a wee bit off scale in the past. One thing that I take advantage of whenever I can is to make good use of places that have uniform 1 ft. square tile on their floors. Such tiles allow me to make a mental comparison of actual dimensions of items- such as chairs, recliners, etc.
I figure that one day, probably when I am finished with grad school, I am going to go on a quest to measure everything and map everything.... write to me when I go in the mental hospital after my breakdown. Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2010 at 9:00am by davew »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #71 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 7th, 2010 at 8:59am:
Thanks for the compliment though! When I first started creating the modern maps (actually V&V is my first serious modern mapping attempt- I just did fantasy before that), I wanted to try to achieve a medium between "fancy details" and ease of viewing. This may be a throw back to being a child of the 80's but I honestly prefer simplier, easy to view maps over the elaborately detailed maps that I started to see in rpging by the early 21st century.... granted all the lush textures are nice and pretty but many of these maps were impossible for me to look at after I had printed them off, especially on a black and white printer. 

You have a very nice approach to the maps, as others have said. I agree that the Van Gogh-painting approach to map design actually makes the maps harder to use. The cleaner, b/w style that you use is much better.

Best of luck with grad school.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2010 at 1:28pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #72 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Yes, I agree as well.  When they get enlarged, there's a few things that look a little 'pixelated' (if you know what I mean), but overall the simpler, less busy approach makes them much more elegant and easier to view.

I find your approach interesting, because it's something I do continually as well.  I was escorting someone into a complex machine room (full of large computers and other equipment) one time years ago, and basically just had "guard duty".  That kind of thing could be boring, but I used the opportunity to sketch out the entire room on a 1" = 5 foot scale, just to better acquaint myself with how a room lays out on a map (since I am constantly making new maps for my players).  I've even taken a Google Earth image of my house and property and then drawn it out on graph paper as if it were a V&V map.  I continually find myself viewing things (and distances) and considering how many "game inches" they are away.

I'll probably join you in the mental hospital someday!    Grin

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #73 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 13th, 2010 at 6:03pm:

The facility he works at isn't your "normal" mental health facility, as you have to be a long term "guest" of the state of Virginia before you can get an appointment.

YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #74 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 13th, 2010 at 6:16pm:

The facility he works at isn't your "normal" mental health facility, as you have to be a long term "guest" of the state of Virginia before you can get an appointment. 

Yeah, but who's to say that's the mental hospital they will put both of us in?    Cheesy

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #75 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
I want to thank everyone for my work on mapping... honestly, its Paint... nothing but standard Paint available with anyone that has some version of Windows for their operating system. I hand draw because it gives me more flexability. Granted, its not the best of methods, and Jeff Dee has personally been helpful as to help me better the techinque thus far... but not with very good results thus far (my end of the deal, not his). I have been a bit sheepish about my maps, because they are more of the talents that I grasped in the 80's working with the Commodore family of computers, but it works for the project at hand.

IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #76 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 13th, 2010 at 7:22pm:
I want to thank everyone for my work on mapping... honestly, its Paint... nothing but standard Paint available with anyone that has some version of Windows for their operating system. I hand draw because it gives me more flexability. Granted, its not the best of methods, and Jeff Dee has personally been helpful as to help me better the techinque thus far... but not with very good results thus far (my end of the deal, not his). I have been a bit sheepish about my maps, because they are more of the talents that I grasped in the 80's working with the Commodore family of computers, but it works for the project at hand.

I like your maps, Dave.  They have an old-fashioned feel to them which I appreciate.

Sorry for not posting much lately, folks: I have a cert exam Monday morning and have been trying to cram for it. Things are progressing nicely on this next project, though, no worries.  Cool

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #77 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Mar 13th, 2010 at 6:42pm:
dsumner wrote on Mar 13th, 2010 at 6:16pm:

Yeah, but who's to say that's the mental hospital they will put both of us in?    Cheesy

Actually the first mental hosptial I worked at wasn't all that bad... the one I'm interning on the side now is a correctional treatment center so its a prison and mental hospital combined...
the first one, however, really wasn't terrible... and they have two beds per room so I could keep you up all night with my snoring, talking in my sleep, droning on about ideas ("and really, why don't they have butternut squash with brown sugar and butter flavored ice cream... is that so wrong!?!")... until you suffocate me with one of those crappy gray-blue pillows....  Grin

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #78 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 10:56am
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 13th, 2010 at 10:00pm:
why don't they have butternut squash with brown sugar and butter flavored ice cream... is that so wrong

...mmm... butter ...

- Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM

IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #79 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Hi, folks, just a quick update for you: not long now on the playset.  It looks great and will have some new things in it, so stay tuned!  Cool

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #80 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
ssmith wrote on Mar 20th, 2010 at 11:31am:
Hi, folks, just a quick update for you: not long now on the playset.  It looks great and will have some new things in it, so stay tuned!  Cool

We're very much looking foward to seeing it!   Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #81 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 9:22am
Print Post  
So Dave, any word on updates?

YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #82 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:14am
Print Post  
I'm hoping soon. The 4th one is finished, verified, approved, and waiting to hit the web and the 5th one is in the editing phase right now. I've been checking for official release as well.

If you want a bit of a teaser in the meanwhile... here's the products coming up as Freebies.

4th Freebie (Playset)- Diamante's. Its a posh nightspot restaurant, its a hidden, illegal casino located beyond the wine cellar below, its a small but suitable underground base of operations for a super villain and this thugs... its Diamante's! The first in a sporadic series of playsets, Diamante's offers you a drop in headquarters and business front for the super villain of your choice. Written by Dave and Stacy- complete with menu! (Cause you just gotta have a menu....)

5th- Any Mart (Action Map)- Your One Stop Gas And Go Market! Any Mart represents the endless varieties of gas station/convenience store stops... particularly the chain varieties although a decent sized mom and pop operation could also be Any Mart. Stop in at Any Mart and grab yourself a fruity slush... and then stand in line forever and wait while some midnight cowboy plays one scratch off after another during his latest session of "Countertop Vegas". Whooo hoooo!!!!

(why a gas station... oh, come on... just think of all the crime stopping action you could have.....)

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #83 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:18am
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:14am:
I'm hoping soon. The 4th one is finished, verified, approved, and waiting to hit the web and the 5th one is in the editing phase right now. I've been checking for official release as well.

If you want a bit of a teaser in the meanwhile... here's the products coming up as Freebies.

4th Freebie (Playset)- Diamante's. Its a posh nightspot restaurant, its a hidden, illegal casino located beyond the wine cellar below, its a small but suitable underground base of operations for a super villain and this thugs... its Diamante's! The first in a sporadic series of playsets, Diamante's offers you a drop in headquarters and business front for the super villain of your choice. Written by Dave and Stacy- complete with menu! (Cause you just gotta have a menu....)

5th- Any Mart (Action Map)- Your One Stop Gas And Go Market! Any Mart represents the endless varieties of gas station/convenience store stops... particularly the chain varieties although a decent sized mom and pop operation could also be Any Mart. Stop in at Any Mart and grab yourself a fruity slush... and then stand in line forever and wait while some midnight cowboy plays one scratch off after another during his latest session of "Countertop Vegas". Whooo hoooo!!!!

(why a gas station... oh, come on... just think of all the crime stopping action you could have.....)

Dave, thanks for the preview. I see you too have experienced scratch ticket lottery hell. I annoys me to no end to stand in kine waiting to pay for my stuff, while some idiot, buys one scratch ticket at a time.

YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #84 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:20am
Print Post  
I hate it... even more than I hate people that park their shopping carts in the middle of the shopping aisle and talk on their cell phones... at least I can take another aisle and get around them... usually.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #85 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:30am
Print Post  
On that note... my writing style changed a small amount on the 5th one... a bit more sarcastic at times. I figured a gas station is a good way to vent... so its also intended to be a fun read... not silly to the point that it can't be used as a legit product... but fun.

I'm thinking that by usual release times for these that Diamante's should be up by the end of next week... that would equal out to about the normal stretch for finish up, going overs, approval, and launch. I figure Any Mart will probably be out by the end of the month.

At this point I'm experimenting with doing a test mini adventure or two to see how I do with creating a small adventure in a short page count format. Also Stacy and I are now gearing up on the technoshamanism/rave club project. Druid Audio will be re-envisioned with the tools of a new artist that we've been working with... the same one that is doing the art specs for Citizen Report. This will be a very different adventure style of V&V in some ways... in many ways not.

In the meanwhile, I'm actually pondering what to work on next for the next upcoming freebies... I have half a dozen options in my head so I'm kinda open for a small push of a suggestion in certain directions.... [hint] if there's something that you people would like to see detailed as a freebie that would fall into a workable format that's comparable to a normal freebie... hence it has to be somewhat smallish... no military bases covered as a freebie- that would be a commercial release... but something of workable size... speak up now or forever hold your peace... I'm going out of town today and on Thursday so I'll probably get inspired so here's your chance to beat me running off on a tangent......[end hint]

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #86 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:40am
Print Post  
I'll throw my suggestions in for a couple of freebies. How about an old bookstore, not one of the big mega stores like B&N or Borders, but one of the old ones, tucked away in some quiet corner of the city. One that specializes in old, rare, and out of print books. Or and antique store, with like something from the old Friday the 13th TV series? I figure either one of them would be great to insert into an ongoing game.

YIM  
IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #87 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:46am
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:14am:

Hey, as a GM, I would *totally* find a way to use the menu! Maybe as a way to slip something into a certain character's food... or create a scene with a complaining customer... and I'm not just saying that because I wrote it. Honest.  Wink

IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #88 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:48am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:40am:
I'll throw my suggestions in for a couple of freebies. How about an old bookstore, not one of the big mega stores like B&N or Borders, but one of the old ones, tucked away in some quiet corner of the city. One that specializes in old, rare, and out of print books. Or and antique store, with like something from the old Friday the 13th TV series? I figure either one of them would be great to insert into an ongoing game. 

I for one love this idea! Dave?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #89 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:50am
Print Post  
ssmith wrote on Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:46am:
Hey, as a GM, I would *totally* find a way to use the menu! Maybe as a way to slip something into a certain character's food... or create a scene with a complaining customer... and I'm not just saying that because I wrote it. Honest.  Wink

Tony "Firebug" Stevens, not happy with his steak, casually strolls into the kitchen, and explains what medium rare means to the chef, before incinerating him with a handful of Fire Pellets.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:51am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #90 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 11:28am
Print Post  
I love the idea of the bookstore as well...
and it would be a quick and easy because it certainly wouldn't take up a huge amount of floorspace.

Yeah, I could see this one done.  Wink

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #91 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 11:29am
Print Post  
...plus, what better place to get your old dusty references on the occult....
which leads into an adventure or two in itself....

Yeah, and I can get images today for that.

As for the antique store... yep, already got images for that one too! Had about half the idea myself... and took some photos a few months ago.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #92 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 11:49am
Print Post  
How about a fitness center that caters to the superhero without a base.  There could be private workout areas for those needing a real challenge  Wink Wink.

It could be call Strength and Beyond Fitness Center.

I remember an old Avengers comic that had Hercules showning off at a public gym with all the women fawning over and all the guys grumbling.  That and a full out fight in the middle for free weight area would be fun.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2010 at 11:53am by The Cougar »  

- Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #93 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
ssmith wrote on Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:48am:
dsumner wrote on Mar 27th, 2010 at 10:40am:

I for one love this idea! Dave?

Me too - outstanding idea!!!   Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2010 at 5:12pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #94 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Cougar- Good idea on the fitness center... I'll make note of that one as well.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #95 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 9:50am
Print Post  
I'm almost finished with the map as it really didn't take alot of time for this one... but have a question:
Should I leave out the parking lot on this one?
The reason that I'm thinking I should is that a small shop like this might actually be nestled in with other buildings... such as in a shopping center or along a downtown sidewalk... thus in this case its not very likely that the shop would have its own parking area.
If the shop was to have its own parking area... this amount of space could be easily improvised.

I can still always do a parking area, if desired, but personally don't see quite the need for one for a place of this particular type.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #96 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 9:57am
Print Post  
davew wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 9:50am:
I'm almost finished with the map as it really didn't take alot of time for this one... but have a question:
The reason that I'm thinking I should is that a small shop like this might actually be nestled in with other buildings... such as in a shopping center or along a downtown sidewalk... thus in this case its not very likely that the shop would have its own parking area.
If the shop was to have its own parking area... this amount of space could be easily improvised.

I can still always do a parking area, if desired, but personally don't see quite the need for one for a place of this particular type.

I say leave the lot out, or if you have anything, just a curb along the sidewalk. I see the place nestled into a small neighborhood of old brownstones.

YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #97 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 10:03am
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 9:57am:
davew wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 9:50am:

I say leave the lot out, or if you have anything, just a curb along the sidewalk. I see the place nestled into a small neighborhood of old brownstones.  

That's what I'm envisioning myself. The only area external that I've numbered is the front door... which allows me to give a brief description to the front entrance.

IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #98 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
I agree: leave it out.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #99 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Just mentioned the project to Scott Bizar after me and Stacy got started and he wanted everyone to know that in addition to this freebie there will be a bookstore/comic shop in an upcoming commerical adventure (will be also slated for one of the early "Giant" books... which should start rolling out the door in the near future)... as such, we are working this one up to be complimentary, not competitive to, the bookstore to be featured in the commerical adventure. I was thinking that in addition to being most anything that a GM would want... a shop that privately sells occult literature, a front for a more criminal pursuit, a legit bookshop, etc... the freebie bookstore that Stacy and I are working on right now could also be an effective diversion for the planned bookstore in the upcoming adventure... as in "Oops! Sorry guys, raided the wrong place... uh, yeah, sorry about that... here you go... uhm... yes, I think we should be leaving now... sorry again....."

IP Logged

ssmith
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #100 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Or someone goes on a hunt for a book, and it isn't in the freebie bookstore. Or it is, but it's a decoy planted by a baddie... lots of possibilities.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #101 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
I am probably in the minority here when I say that I don't care for the freebies.  I hope the real to purchase products have more, how do you say, substance to them.    I am not a map person so these really hold no interest for me. 
  What I want from V&V products is more characters, more powers,  cool rules like From the Deeps of Space.     In a game where characters fly through space and lift tanks, a map of a book store really doesn't get me too excited.

Sorry.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #102 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 7:47am
Print Post  
John,

I appreciate your honesty and I can offer you the good news in the sense that the for purchase products will. Citizen's Report, however, will be a bit more in the lines of fleshing out other real world details... plus providing agencies and so forth... but the vast majority of the slated commercial products will be in the same expected vein of past V&V products.... characters, adventures, etc.
The upcoming flying saucer freebie may have a mini adventure attached to it, however. This one, though, will be more of a single character focus and will probably be a bit more scaled for lesser powered characters.

The basic vision of the freebies is to help many players flesh out areas of their campaign city, so to speak. They also double as action spots... primarily for lower to medium powered characters in the basic action map areas and for characters of all power levels in the playset areas.

IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #103 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
John... I didn't have a chance to type up everything on my mind this morning when I wrote the first part (well, that and I was waking up) but I want to thank you again for your honesty on this because you bring up a good topic that is something that I've been wanting to let people know in case there are others like you out there...

the V&V freebies, though part of the V&V family line of products, are not necessarily reflective of things to come in the core commercial line. Citizen Report will contain many of the similiar vein elements (though much, much more... weapons, gangs, vehicles, etc.), but most all of the products will be more in toe with the standards of the classic V&V lineup. That's our goal, to continue producing V&V as V&V for V&V... if that makes sense.
I am whole heartedly glad that there are many people that do enjoy the freebies, however, as they do fill very important areas for those that like to further flesh our their cities or need a good battle spot for a lower to medium powered campaign... granted, high powered campaigns are a bit above and beyond what these products primarily offer.
But... there's always room perhaps to provide a few things here and there that would appeal to such a campaign, hence why we are always open for suggestions from the fans.

But ultimately, the V&V freebies serve the purpose in giving a little something extra to the gamers and fans while also generating renewed interest and giving everyone a reason to keep going back to the website from time to time until the new products start rolling out the doors. But, these products are made a wee bit different than the commercial products and serve different functions in the realm of V&V gaming than most of the commercial products do.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #104 - May 23rd, 2010 at 2:19am
Print Post  
Dave, just checking in to see what's up with the new releases. Any news to speak of ?

YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #105 - May 23rd, 2010 at 7:11am
Print Post  
I've had to take a few weeks away from the most recent work unfortunately... actually its getting closer to a month away now. My mother in law came in to visit a couple of weeks back from Chicago and we spent several days showing her around the VA-Tenn area. I've been pulling a huge amount of late shifts at the office the last several days due to a great deal of high needs clients, and the next semester of my MSW program just started up.
Hopefully, hopefully, I should be back in the saddle in the next few weeks.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #106 - Jun 20th, 2010 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
I'm surprised no one's asked this, but with Jack & Jeff getting the publishing rights back, what does this mean for the stuff that FGU had in the pipeline? Namely any new settings and source books that Dave and Stacy were working on?

YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #107 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Dsumner,
I can't say myself... I was (and still sorta am) taking some time away from writing due to needs at work/school when all of this happened... so I have been kind of out of the loop. I have a very good feeling though that new products will be on the way though, so don't worry about that!
(after all, I'm sure Jeff and Jack wouldn't have pursued getting the title back for nothing.  Wink )

IP Logged

mel
Sidekick

vigilantesomething

Reply #108 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Dave, I've been digging all of the new V&V materials you've developed. Especially the police station and tabloid office. The Greys are the official aliens in our campaign universe!

After all this time, I'm glad that new V&V material is available through FGU. 

The rulebook has a weighty section about obeying the law. And as a fan of such things, I'm happy to buy products from the legal manufacturer. Smiley

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #109 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Mel,

Dave doesn't seem to have an issue with Jeff and Jack getting the rights to their game back.

Why do you?

Allen

IP Logged

Troy...
Apprentice

Reply #110 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 1:55am
Print Post  
I feel like I'm twenty years behind the time. What exactly happened? A company buyout?

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Apprentice

I Love V&V!

Reply #111 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 2:21am
Print Post  
Troy... wrote on Jun 24th, 2010 at 1:55am:
I feel like I'm twenty years behind the time. What exactly happened? A company buyout?

Not totally clear. Jeff and Jack can't talk about it right now on the advice of their lawyer.

TOTALLY UNFOUNDED SPECULATION: There may be some kind of deal that would be endangered by elements of it being made public prematurely. That happens sometimes.

In any event, I seriously doubt they would be releasing the game on the 27th if they were not on very strong legal ground for doing so...they have been pursuing this for many years and I'm sure are well-versed in what needed to be done.

Allen

IP Logged

>