Poll
Poll Question: What's the ideal number of heroes in super team?
bars   pie

10 or more (but divided into 2 subgroups)    
  0 (0.0%)
10 or more as a mega army    
  0 (0.0%)
  0 (0.0%)
  2 (20.0%)
  3 (30.0%)
  2 (20.0%)
  3 (30.0%)
4 (or 3 with an auxillary/reserve member)    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 10
« Created by: mel on: Jan 28th, 2010 at 10:57pm »
Normal Topic What's the ideal number of heroes in super team? (Read 1495 times)
mel
Sidekick

vigilantesomething

What's the ideal number of heroes in super team?
Jan 28th, 2010 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Okay, so if you were going to start reading a hypothetical new comic book about a superhero group ... and for argument's sake, you're going to love the characters, etc.

Now the big question is: How many heroes do you theoretically want in the team? Is there such a thing as an ideal size for a group?

From a storytelling standpoint, what are your reasons for picking the number that you did?

I'll post my replies soon. I still haven't made up my own mind.  Cool
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2010 at 10:58pm by mel »  

IP Logged

mel
Sidekick

vigilantesomething

Re: What's the ideal number of heroes in super team?
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Okay, I voted for 8 because with that number there are enough characters do allow major disagreements and upheaveal without completely leveling the team--like when Terra became the 8th member of the classic "new" Titans.

But eight is still relatively easy to remember and keep track of everyone.

Not a big fan of the "family" feel of smaller groups like the original Doom Patrol. Focusing on a few members each issue is okay, but the small numbers wear on me after a while.

And not a big fan of huge groups like the old-school Legion and some versions of the Avengers when you can't tell who's in or who's out or who is on which coast.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
I prefer smaller groups, combat still moves quickly.  When you get to 8/10, it takes forever, and if you're fighting one on one vs. villains, that's 16-20 different characters that have to act in a phase.  I think it's different for comics than games, but most of my best games were with less than 6 players.

Also not a big fan of huge groups...

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
The team itself should consist of 5 (or 6) members.  There can be additional characters for sub-stories and relationships but when the team is in action 5 works best.

So my answer is 5 members that act as the team in that issue but the overall group can be larger where the 5 can rotate per event.

Anything above 7 require the team to split into squads whenever they do something, so why not create to books but let them interact freely between books.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
I've always had a preference for five, as it just seems to work well.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:15am
Print Post  
I'd say I have to agree with 5, but I actually have a preference for building solo adventures when I can.... as many comic books featured a lone hero.

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 10:32am
Print Post  
I used to keep some notes around for running a quick solo adventure, or for small groups (say only two players). Especially after my friends and I started working, it was harder for all of us to get together on a Friday night, or Saturday afternoon. I'd grab my notes, and whip up a solo adventure on the fly, and jot down what transpired, so I could work it into the regular campaign.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
That's another factor... working. With the older gamer population that is a considerable fact. Groups tend to get to be a bit smaller because of such... and sometimes unpredictable as far as who can make it or not. V&V and the super hero genre in general is good choice for that sort of thing, in my opinion. As far as fantasy gaming goes, in low magic or lower level campaigns its hard to rationalize characters popping in and out of the party from session to session (hence the reason that the GM or another player usually has to pick them up and run them as NPCs). In a super hero game, there can be that distress call "Flamboyance Man! You're needed back at the station, report immediately!" and thus if Flamboyance Man's player cannot make it then Flamboyance Man can be removed (unless it upsets challenge balance) from the action in a sense that is legit with storylines.

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

>