Normal Topic The Upstarts (Read 1771 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

The Upstarts
Mar 14th, 2010 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
The Lyndhurst Academy
For Wayward Youth
"Helping today's youth find their way in a troubled world."

Located in the suburbs of Providence, Rhode Island, on the grounds of a former girls school, The Lyndhurst Academy’s stated mission is to provide alternative education for troubled teens of well-to-do parents. The school's real mission is secretly recruit and train powerful young superhumans, as as possible future recruits for the Brotherhood of Power.

School Grounds

In addition to the classroom facilities, the main campus consists of several buildings including a small guard shack, located at the main gate (manned by one of the schools security personnel); dormitory, with separate housing for male and female students, a dinning facility; a gymnasium, with and indoor heated swimming pool; an athletic field surrounded by a track, and an attached baseball field (Task constantly stresses that in addition to developing their abilities, their need to stay physically fit); a maintenance building housing the grounds keepers (hired security personnel working for Task); a parking area and several small cottages for visitors, and few small storage buildings.

Unseen to all but the school's staff and security personnel, the main training areas are located beneath the dorm’s basement. The training center has been specially designed to withstand the pounding it’s students are capable of dishing out. It includes a medical facility, a combat simulator, weight room (for use by super strong students), a fire arms range, the security force barracks and armory, the security force’s control center (which allows them to monitor the grounds, and any of the buildings located on them), Sanction’s office and living quarters.

School Staff

The school’s Headmaster is the former mercenary super soldier, Task, while the security force is headed by Bruno Hollinger, who‘s cover is the school’s “Grounds Keeping and Maintenance” supervisor. Hollinger is a former Marine who was discharged from the Corps, for striking an officer. After drifting from job to job, he found employment as an enforcer for a local bookie, and soon ran up an extensive "rap sheet" with police. During one of his many stays in jail, he happened to run into buddy from his time in the Corps. The friend had recently heard about a new mercenary outfit” that was looking for guys with prior military experience. After his release Hollinger managed to make contact with a recruiter for one of Task‘s paramilitary operations. He proved himself capable of handling situations, and soon advanced through t their ranks to a supervisory position. When the Brotherhood of Power came to Sanction, looking for some muscle to watch over their latest endeavor, Hollinger was assigned as there.

Hollinger is as mercenary as they come, he’s loyal to his clients as long as they keep a paycheck coming. While he’s not particularly bloodthirsty or cruel, he’s got no problem with using violence, or making an example of someone. If ordered to kill one of the students he wouldn’t bat an eye about it, as long as the money was right.

The Upstarts

The Brotherhood of Power, working through third parties, has managed to gather a large group of super powered teens together, and under Sanction's leadership, they are slowly becoming a force to be reckoned with. The group, named the Upstarts, currently includes the following members:

Rebound: A 16 year old black male with elastic like skin, the ability to stretch various body parts or to reshape his body into simple objects like a ball.

Downpour: A 16 year old English female with the ability to control the weather, and fly. She's a little shy, and tends to keep her emotions bottled up, doing whatever her sister tells her.

Bonfire: Downpour’s older sister. Stuck up and “snotty”, a real bitch. She treats Downpour like dirt (along with everyone else for that matter). She has the ability to generate and control fire.

Rough House: A 17 year old male mutant from Newark, New Jersey. He’s super strong, and is resistant to most forms of physical damage. He's not that bad of a guy, and if someone would take the time to work with him, they might be able to convince him he's headed down the wrong path.

Jolt: A 16 year old black male, from Washington D.C., with the ability to generate electrical charges from his body. He likes the feeling of power and "the mad respect" he gets from his abilities, but he's still not quite sure he's doing the right thing.

Bolt: A 16 year old super-speedster and closet homosexual. An adrenaline junkie, who loves the thrill of the chase. He's actually got a bit of a crush on Task, and is constantly trying to show off for him, which has caused him a number of problems.

Scatterbrain: A 15 year old Asian female mutant, with the ability to scramble the thoughts of others (Confusion). A former runaway, child prostitute, and drug addict. Her mutant powers emerged after taking an experimental designer drug at an all night rave.

Split: A 17 year old male with the ability to create exact duplicates of himself. He's from poor family of seven, just outside of Montgomery, Alabama, and has vowed that he'll never to end up like his parents. He's willing to do whatever it takes to keep from going back to his former life.
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2011 at 1:23am by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: The Upstarts
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 11:48am
Print Post  
So, any of you guys read over this stuff?

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Yes and I love the detail.  You make me feel lazy for slacking the past few weeks.     I also love the names.  For some reason they remind me of Image Comics.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
These guys are the arch enemies of team of teen super heroes called the Young Guardians. I'll eventually get around to adding more details, as well as write-ups of the student body.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2010 at 2:49pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Great stuff,  It is just amazing how well thought out they all are.

The Upstarts really look tuff now, when they are in the late 20's, look out!

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
I'll be posting some info on their counterparts, the The Young Gaurdians, later on today, let me know what you guys think of them, once they're up.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2010 at 2:49pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Downpour

Identity:
Side: The Upstarts     Sex: Female
Training: Accuracy

Powers:
1. Weather Control:
2. Flight:
3. Heightened Endurance (A): +6

Origin/Background: A 16 year old English mutant with the ability to fly, and control weather patterns. She's Bonfire's younger sister.

Personality/Character Traits: She tends to go along, to get along, and almost slavishly follows her sister.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2010 at 11:23pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Bonfire
Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Bonfire

Identity:
Side: The Upstarts     Sex: Female
Training: Accuracy

Powers:
1. Flame Powers (A):
2. Heightened Expertise: +4 w/her flame powers
3. Heightened Charisma (A): +6

Origin/Background: A 17 year old English mutant with the ability to generate heat and flames. She's Downpour's older sister.

Personality/Character Traits: A royal pain, who pretty much treats everyone like dirt.

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Roughhouse

Identity:
Side: The Upstarts        Sex: Male
Training: Endurance

Powers:
1. Heightened Strength (B): +25
2. Heightened Endurance (B): +15
3. Body Power: Increased Density: 1.5 x normal weight

Origin/Background: Roughhouse is a 17 year old mutant, who grew up in a working class household, in Newark, New Jersey. 

Personality/Character Traits:

YIM  
IP Logged

>