Normal Topic The Sentinels of Justice (c. 1985) (Read 1693 times)
Black Bolt
Avenger

Leader of the Inhuman
Debating Society

The Sentinels of Justice (c. 1985)
Apr 1st, 2010 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
I was going through several boxes that were in my closet and I came across some of my original characters from around 1985. It's obvious the characters were heavily inspired by real comic characters (i prefer homage over rip-off Tongue) but I thought I would post them anyways. Excuse the drawings since I did them about 25 years ago when I was 14. Here's the first character...

WILDFIRE

Identity: Paul Stevenson            
Group Affiliation: Sentinels of Justice
Base of Operations: Toronto, Canada
Side: Good
Sex: Male
Height: 5' 10"
Hair: Black
Eyes: Green
Level: 6th
Experience: 21, 664
Training: +1 Flame Power Damage

Powers:
1. Heightened Agility A +12
2. Heightened Defense: -4 to be hit.
3. Flame Power: PR 3 to activate, PR 3/attack, PR 1/hour of flight, fly 52 mph (229"), Range 28", +1 to hit, 1d12+1 damage, automatic flame defense.
4. Willpower: Type A.

Weight: 192 lbs.
Basic Hits: 4
Agility Mod: Nil

Strength: 13
Endurance: 15
Agility: 24
Intelligence: 12
Charisma: 17
Reactions from:   Good: +2     Evil: -2
Hit Mod. (1.2) (1.8) (2.5) (1.1) = 5.94      
Hit Points: 24
Damage Mod.: +3
Healing Rate: 1.6
Accuracy: +4
Power: 64
Carrying Capacity: 355 lbs.
Basic HTH Damage: 1d6
Movement Rates: 52" ground, 229" flight.
Det. Hidden: 10%
Det. Danger: 14%
Inventing Points: 6.9
Inventing (36%):

Origin and Background: (Canadian) Paul Stevenson was your average university student who spent his time studying journalism, playing hockey and chasing girls. During an all nighter while cramming for an exam, Paul began to get intense headaches. He figured it was probably from the amount of caffeine he had been drinking, so he popped a few aspirin and went back to his studying. The headaches got worse and then he found himself drenched in sweat. It felt like the temperature of his dorm room had gone through the roof.

Suddenly he burst into flames! Paul panicked and melted the wall of his room and flew into the night. He soon realized that the flames weren't hurting him and he was flying! He was both scared and excited about his new found powers. He looked down at his university residence and could see that it was in flames. At that point, he knew he had to use his powers to help others, not to cause destruction. He quickly landed and figured out how to turn his flames off and approached his burning dorm building.

Paul was naked as he approached the paramedics that were on the scene (his clothes burnt up when he had activated his flame powers). He told the paramedics and authorities that he was studying in his room when there was a great explosion and he was thrown from his room. He didn't tell them of his new found powers.

Paul was brought up on disciplinary charges by the university and the Police were investigating the fire as a potential arson, but eventually the cause of the fire was determined to be unknown and there were no signs of arson so all charges against Paul were dropped. Paul eventually transferred from his university to the University of Toronto. While in Toronto, he started to moonlight as Wildfire fighting local criminals. He attracted the attention of an enigmatic personality known only as The Timelord who claimed to be a misplaced time traveller. The Timelord told Paul he was a mutant and he could use his help to bring justice to those who need it. Paul agreed and joined with other would-be heroes to form the Sentinels of Justice.

Training Bonuses:
2nd Level:       +1 Endurance
3rd Level:       +1 Flame Power Damage
4th Level:       +1 Intelligence
5th Level:       +1 Flame Power Accuracy
6th Level:       +1 Endurance

Legal Status: Citizen of Canada with no criminal record.

Next is Hailstone.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: The Sentinels of Justice (c. 1985)
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
BB, thanks for posting this. I love reading about people's characters, especially the one's they played back in the day. I'm anxiously awaiting Hailstone.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Sweet write-up, BB!

What really, really cool is that our first superhero team (circa 1982-1985 or so) was called the "Sentinels of Justice" as well, though we usually just called them the Sentinels.

Great minds think alike and all that...    Cool

IP Logged

Black Bolt
Avenger

Leader of the Inhuman
Debating Society

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
That's cool Majestic! I also just used Sentinels most of the time instead of the full name.

I only found three character sheets so far. Off the top of my head there was Timelord, Wildfire, Hailstone, Magnitude, Feline (female), Captain Condor (at least I think that was his name) and Union Jack (with a costume similar to the character with the same name from the Invaders) in the Sentinels. I only have pictures for Wildfire, Hailstone & Magnitude.

IP Logged

Black Bolt
Avenger

Leader of the Inhuman
Debating Society

Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 2:31pm
Print Post  

HAILSTONE

Identity: William Carson            
Base of Operations: Toronto, Canada
Height: 5' 9"
Eyes: Dark Brown
Experience: 21,664
Training: -1 Weather Control PR

Powers:
1. Flight: 210mph (924"), PR 1/hour of flight.
2. Heightened Charisma B +20
3. Heightened Intelligence A +17
4. Ice Powers: 6" Range, +2 to hit, 1d12+2 damage, PR 5/attack.
5. Weather Control: -1 to all PR costs.

Weight: 194 lbs.
Basic Hits: 4

Strength: 14
Agility: 12
Intelligence: 28
Charisma: 40
Reactions from:   Good: +7     Evil: -7
Hit Mod. (1.2) (1.8) (1.3) (1.6) = 4.4928      
Hit Points: 18
Damage Mod.: +4
Healing Rate: 1.6
Accuracy: +1
Power: 69
Carrying Capacity: 411 lbs.
Basic HTH Damage: 1d6
Movement Rates: 41" ground, 924" flight.
Det. Hidden: 20%
Det. Danger: 24%
Inventing Points: 16.8
Inventing (36%):

Origin and Background: (Canadian) William Carson is an African-Canadian whose Haitian family immigrated to Canada when he was a little child. He was able to use his intelligence and found himself graduating from High School by the age of 16. By the age of 22, he had earned a PhD in Biochemistry. He became one of Canada's youngest biochemists in the field. His family were very proud of his accomplishment.

His mutant powers manifested one day while he was playing catch with his father during a family BBQ. He caught the ball and as he was about to throw it back at his father, William was surprised to find the ball was sealed in a small block of ice. He excused himself from playing catch by saying his shoulder was bothering him. He hid the ball in his glove so his father couldn't see the ice. William knew he had to keep his mutant powers a secret since he knew his family were very anti-mutant in their views. In secret, he learnt to use his mutant powers and even dared to act as a hero in the disguise of Hailstone.

He was recruited by the Timelord to join the Sentinels of Justice. To this day, his family have no idea of his secret life as a super-hero. While many in Canada regard the Sentinels of Justice as heroes, his father still doesn't trust them because the team is filled with a bunch of damn 'muties.'

Training Bonuses:
2nd Level: +1 Ice Powers Accuracy
3rd Level:  +1 Ice Powers Damage
4th Level:  -1 Weather Control PR
5th Level:  +1 Ice Powers Accuracy
6th Level:  +1 Ice Powers Damage

Next is Magnitude.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Another cool character, BB.  Thanks for sharing them with us!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
...and the art's not bad (at all) for a 14 year old!!!    Smiley

IP Logged

Black Bolt
Avenger

Leader of the Inhuman
Debating Society

Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Heh heh, thanks Majestic. I really should get back into drawing (well, drawing things other than maps that is). As bad as I consider the Hailstone image to be, I doubt I could draw anything looking that good now. Wink

IP Logged

Black Bolt
Avenger

Leader of the Inhuman
Debating Society

Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 12:44am
Print Post  

MAGNITUDE

Identity: Marc René            
Base of Operations: Toronto, Canada (originally from Montréal, Quebec)
Height: 6' 8"
Eyes: Blue
Experience: 21,664
Training: +1 HTH Combat Accuracy

Powers:
1. Heightened Strength B (x2) +46
2. Heightened Senses (Radar Sense): Range 10" radius. He can sense the location of objects that are within his range. His Det. Hidden and Det. Danger receive a x3 modifier. If an attacker is within his radius, he then gains no bonuses to hit Magnitude from the side or from behind. He can also recognize people by the unique signature they give off when in his radar sense.
3. Invulnerability (Dense Skin): 16 Points per turn.
4. Weakness - Physical Handicap: Magnitude was blinded from the accident that gave him his powers. While his radar sense allows him to navigate as if he could see, it doesn't allow him to read the printed word, or see colours, etc.

Weight: 240 lbs.
Basic Hits: 5

Strength: 63
Agility: 14
Intelligence: 10
Charisma: 20
Reactions from:   Good: +3     Evil: -3
Hit Mod. (4.6) (1.8) (1.3) (1.0) = 10.764      
Hit Points: 54
Damage Mod.: +1
Healing Rate: 2.0
Accuracy: +1
Power: 69
Carrying Capacity: 30,186 lbs.
Basic HTH Damage: 3d10
Movement Rates: 92" ground.
Det. Hidden: 24%
Det. Danger: 36%
Inventing Points: 6.0
Inventing (30%):

Origin and Background: (Canadian) Marc René was a struggling artist who painted, sculptured, wrote poetry and novels. He was gaining some recognition for his art and had scored the opportunity to showcase his painting at a small gallery in Montreal. While he was delivering some of his paintings to the gallery, a car sped around the corner and clipped Marc. Marc went flying into the sidewalk. His painting fell into traffic and were destroyed.

As Marc attempted to drag himself off the ground, another car came around the same corner at top speeds. It was chasing the car that hit Marc. This car had two thugs hanging out of the windows who held strange looking weapons in their hands that fired equally strange red beams of light. A stray shot hit Marc in the face and he scream in intense pain and passed out from the shock of his wounds. Luckily paramedics were able to stabilize his condition and proceeded to take Marc to the Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal hospital.

His wounds from being hit by the speeding car were serious but fortunately the doctors were able to stabilize him and stop the internal bleeding. The damage done to his face from the strange energy weapon robbed him of his site and scarred his face. While Marc was recovering in the hospital, the gang that shot him learnt of his location and decided to kill him in case he could recognize the men in the car (they did not know that Marc was now blind).

Marc's body had a strange reaction to the energy from the high tech weapon and he began to increase in size and strength literally over night. His radar sense had also started to develop. It was these changes that saved Marc from the Montréal branch of Intercrime. The Intercrime agents thought they were disposing of a weak witness and instead they encountered a wall of muscle. They didn't stand a chance. Marc quickly took care of his would be attackers and then he collected his things and left the hospital.

His career as an artist was put on hold as he moved among his old neighbourhood and found out who was behind his accident. Eventually he heard of Intercrime from some shady connections and he decided to attack their Montréal base on his own. He wanted revenge for the lose of his eyesight. It was during this attack that he encountered the Sentinels of Justice (who were investigating a high tech gun smuggling ring). They battled Intercrime together and emerged victorious. After that incident, Magnitude was offered membership into the group. He declined at first but after spending several months recovering from the psychological trauma of his accident, he found peace in his transformation and contacted the Sentinels of Justice to see if their offer still stands.

The old Marc personality who was a bit of a wise-ass eventually reemerged with the passing of time. The angst of his transformation has been replaced with the wonder and excitement of his adventures with the Sentinels of Justice.

Training Bonuses:
2nd Level: +1 Strength
3rd Level:  +1 Agility
4th Level:  +1 HTH Combat Accuracy
5th Level:  +1 HTH Combat Accuracy
6th Level:  +1 HTH Combat Accuracy

That's it for any character images (at least for now). Next is Union Jack (who was inspired by Marvel's own Union Jack).

IP Logged

>