Poll
Poll Question: What's Your Favorite Decade of Comics?
bars   pie

1930s    
  1 (6.7%)
1940s    
  0 (0.0%)
1950s    
  0 (0.0%)
1960s    
  1 (6.7%)
1970s    
  6 (40.0%)
1980s    
  6 (40.0%)
1990s    
  0 (0.0%)
2000s    
  1 (6.7%)

Total votes: 15
« Created by: 8675309 Jenni on: Apr 3rd, 2010 at 1:32pm »
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What's Your Favorite Decade of Comics? (Read 2978 times)
8675309 Jenni
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

What's Your Favorite Decade of Comics?
Apr 3rd, 2010 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
I've been reading a lot of back issues from decades gone by. I thought it would be fun to see which decades of comics everyone likes best.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Re: What's Your Favorite Decade of Comics?
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I picked 80's cause that was when I really got into them.  Its the years I most fondly remember myself, so the emotional attachment to the comics, movies and music is strongest.
   Things like X Men,  FF,  Avengers and Teen Titans were pumping on all cylinders.   I would have to say 70's come next.    To me comics took a great big hit when Jim Shooter got the boot at Marvel.    Sure Secret Wars 2 was laughable, but do you honestly think the Defalco Years were any good?

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
For me, it's the 80's, more specificially, the early to mid 80's, as that was the era I started collecting comics. THey had solid stories, the prices were affordable, and while there were several adult themed comics, they weren't the only game in town.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
I guess I'm going to have to go with the early 80's although I also liked alot of the 70's and also liked some of the late 60's.

There were some high points of the 90's.. particularly early 90's... but I didn't care for alot of that era.

I miss the look of the 80's... when so many of the villains had that same outfit layout... the weird loopy thing at the top of the shoulders... I'm thinking of Doc Oc, most of the Wrecking Crew, Magneto, and a few others...

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

Black Bolt
Avenger

Leader of the Inhuman
Debating Society

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
This was a hard one for me to choose. I ended up picking the 70s but it varies depending on the series or comic company in question. I'm fond of silver age/bronze age Marvel (60s to mid 80s) but I also enjoy some of the Pre-Crisis DC stuff and have a soft spot for the Golden Age books. I can pretty much look at any decade and find stuff I like and stuff I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Wink

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
I ended up going with 80's as well, as that was the time I really got into comics.  I had a few in the 70's (and loved them), but the books I really came to love: X-Men, Fantastic Four, Sin City, Alpha Flight, Excalibur, Watchmen, Dark Knight, etc, all came out or were really strong in this era.  Moreso the early 80's, as I didn't like alot of this same stuff in the mid to late 80's.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Great question, btw, Jenni!    Smiley

IP Logged

BillytheSquid
Sidekick

mud is just a severely
crushed body!

Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
I started collecting again 2 years ago, previously I had 2 long boxes (in my late 20s) now as a 40 year old hard core collector I have just over 10000 comics, much to my wifes chagrin, over half are from the 70s Im sure, it was such a great time for comic books...I just loved them all.

IP Logged

8675309 Jenni
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 6:10pm:
I ended up going with 80's as well, as that was the time I really got into comics.  I had a few in the 70's (and loved them), but the books I really came to love: X-Men, Fantastic Four, Sin City, Alpha Flight, Excalibur, Watchmen, Dark Knight, etc, all came out or were really strong in this era.  Moreso the early 80's, as I didn't like alot of this same stuff in the mid to late 80's.

I generally see the 1960s as fun, creative, but as children's literature, by and large.

I see the 1970s as a decade of steady maturity and depth in comics. Overall it was a strong decade. X-Men is one book that I think was at its best in the 1970s during the Phoenix saga. By 1983, the X-Men were downhill for me.

The Avengers, on the other hand, were really great during the Roger Stern era of the early 1980s, when Eros and Captain Marvel joined the team and Vision dealt with his own ego. Countless other series at both Marvel and DC really peaked in the early 1980s.

The only problem for me is that I see that late 1980s for mainline comics as so horribly bad, with revamping and reconning spinning out of control. Marvel Girl's return was the first of many missteps. Because of that, I see the 1970s winning out over the 1980s when quality levels are averaged out.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
8675309 Jenni wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 8:44pm:
Majestic wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 6:10pm:

I generally see the 1960s as fun, creative, but as children's literature, by and large.

I see the 1970s as a decade of steady maturity and depth in comics. Overall it was a strong decade. X-Men is one book that I think was at its best in the 1970s during the Phoenix saga. By 1983, the X-Men were downhill for me.

The Avengers, on the other hand, were really great during the Roger Stern era of the early 1980s, when Eros and Captain Marvel joined the team and Vision dealt with his own ego. Countless other series at both Marvel and DC really peaked in the early 1980s.

The only problem for me is that I see that late 1980s for mainline comics as so horribly bad, with revamping and reconning spinning out of control. Marvel Girl's return was the first of many missteps. Because of that, I see the 1970s winning out over the 1980s when quality levels are averaged out.

I can see that.  I would agree that the mid to late 80's was some horrid stuff, and it was almost the death of the industry, after greed and prospecting led to 8,000 versions of each comic.

I agree with you about the 60's stuff, too.  It's kind of embarrassing to read early Fantastic Four issues, for example, as a 9 year old would be a bit too sophisticated for them.    Smiley

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
I made a boo-boo above.  As I thought about this question later I realized I said Sin City as an example of the 80's.  I wasn't sure if it was in the late 80's or early 90's, but a quick check on Al Gore's information superhighway (i.e., Wikipedia) tells me it didn't first appear until 1991.    Embarrassed

IP Logged

8675309 Jenni
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:00pm:
I agree with you about the 60's stuff, too.  It's kind of embarrassing to read early Fantastic Four issues, for example, as a 9 year old would be a bit too sophisticated for them.    

Just to clarify, what I said about the 1960s wasn't meant as an insult. The creative teams at Marvel and DC were writing for 8-year-olds at the time. Those stories were intended to be children's lit. Many great ideas came out of that decade of experimentation--great ideas that made way for solid storytelling in the decades ahead.

IP Logged

8675309 Jenni
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:02pm:
I made a boo-boo above.  As I thought about this question later I realized I said Sin City as an example of the 80's.  I wasn't sure if it was in the late 80's or early 90's, but a quick check on Al Gore's information superhighway (i.e., Wikipedia) tells me it didn't first appear until 1991.    

To err is human.

To fact-check one's work and acknowledge innocent mistakes is divine!

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #13 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
I picked 70s because even though I think I liked comics better in the early 80s, it didn't extend into later 80s (just before Watchmen), I liked comics all through the 70s (mostly in the form of back issues for me!)

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #14 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
8675309 Jenni wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:04pm:
Majestic wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 9:00pm:
I agree with you about the 60's stuff, too.  It's kind of embarrassing to read early Fantastic Four issues, for example, as a 9 year old would be a bit too sophisticated for them.    

Just to clarify, what I said about the 1960s wasn't meant as an insult. The creative teams at Marvel and DC were writing for 8-year-olds at the time. Those stories were intended to be children's lit. Many great ideas came out of that decade of experimentation--great ideas that made way for solid storytelling in the decades ahead.

Totally!  I didn't meant it as an insult, either.  As you said, their audience was way younger, and they wrote to the main audience that was buying/reading their stuff at the time!

A lot of classic characters were born out of that era as well!

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #15 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Hey, just found this thread.

60's of course! Kirby, Lee, Ditko, Buscema, Colan, Steranko, Adams, Romita, Infantino, Severin, Kane, Cardy, etc. and the formation of many of the ideas and characters that have been keeping the big two alive ever since, for good or ill.

Having said that, every decade has stand-out gems:

30s
Superman
Batman

40s
Eisner Spirit
Cole Plastic Man
Does Dick Tracy count?
Captain Marvel and all those Golden Age classics

50s
Mad
Vault of Horror
Tales of the Crypt
Haunt of Fear
Weird Science
Frontline Combat
Two-Fisted Tales

70s
Thomas/Adams Avengers
Claremont/ Byrne/ Austin X-Men
Byrne or Perez Avengers
O'Neill/ Adams Green Lantern/ Green Arrow
Kirby New Gods

80s
Miller Daredevil
Miller Dark Knight
Moore/ Gibbons Watchmen
Moore/ Bissette Swamp Thing
Moore/ Leach/ Davis Miracleman
Byrne FF
Simonsen Thor
Willingham Elementals
Chaykin American Flagg
Levitz/ Giffen Legion of Superheroes
Wolfman/ Perez Teen Titans
Sienkiewicz Moon Knight, Elektra, etc.

90s
Mignola Hellboy
Miller Sin City
Gaiman Sandman

00s
Milligan/Allred  X-Force/ X-Statix
Powell The Goon
Grist Jack Staff
Moore / Sprouse Tom Strong
Moore/ Williams Promethea
Moore/ O'Neill League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Simone Secret Six
Willingham Fables

(dates are approximate!) 

Edited: cause I kept remembering stuff I wanted to add.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2010 at 2:44pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #16 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Lord Inar wrote on Apr 9th, 2010 at 5:04pm:
I picked 70s because even though I think I liked comics better in the early 80s, it didn't extend into later 80s (just before Watchmen), I liked comics all through the 70s (mostly in the form of back issues for me!) 

I felt similarly torn. There was a spike in quality ca. 1980-83, but things went downhill from there. I think the 1970s average out to a stronger decade.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #17 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
My second favorite decade would be the 80s. Great, influential work. The medium really advanced there.

I'm nostalgic for the 70s, as I was just starting comics then.

But looking back, the 2000s also had some amazing, new work which makes me cautiously optimistic for the next decade.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2010 at 2:57pm by Doctor Foom »  
IP Logged

Skyhawk
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #18 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
I don't think that I can narrow it down to one, so I'll have to go 70's to 80's. Mid 70's was when I started collecting, and I stuck with it until the early 90's. I just wasn't interested in most of what was being put out. When I buy issues now, it is usually older ones.

IP Logged

>