Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Alpha Flight (Read 10202 times)
Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

Re: Alpha Flight
Reply #35 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Byrne + Alpha = Good

I couldn't stomach much after John moved on. Fact is though there were alot about/of comics back then that started to turn sour. Either the stories or artworked suxd because publishers weren't willing to pay to keep good talent. I also was really turned off by "creative talents" constantly messing with universe continuity
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2011 at 6:08pm by Ranger »  

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

Hawk
Avenger

Reply #36 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Hey Dom, how about a write up of James Hudson when he was a cyborg. I thought that he was pretty cool. He was my favorite member of Alpha flight. Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #37 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Hawk wrote on Feb 23rd, 2011 at 10:48pm:
Hey Dom, how about a write up of James Hudson when he was a cyborg. I thought that he was pretty cool. He was my favorite member of Alpha flight. Smiley

Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool myself., As far as his powers go, they really didn't really change. But instead of his suit providing the powers, they were now integrated into his body.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Galaxy Boy
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #38 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Seeing all these pics, I wonder why Marrina is even in the group pics. She was never really a member as far as I know, the storylines involving her in the original comics only have to do with her alien origins. She was actually more of an active participant when she was with the Avengers.

IP Logged

Scott H
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #39 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 8:33pm:
Next is Sasquatch (I know, his Agility is WAY too high)    Smiley

Believe it or not, if this is meant to be from his first few appearances, his STR and Carrying Capacity are actually somewhat low, even though they match what OHOTMU said. After all, that plane he easily throws 1000 feet against its engines in his very first appearance? Over 200 tons without cargo.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #40 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Scott H wrote on Apr 5th, 2011 at 8:32pm:

Believe it or not, if this is meant to be from his first few appearances, his STR and Carrying Capacity are actually somewhat low, even though they match what OHOTMU said. After all, that plane he easily throws 1000 feet against its engines in his very first appearance? Over 200 tons without cargo.

Yeah, we figured that was probably just adrenaline.  Smiley  We went with what the OHOTMU said, since that gave us solid benchmarks.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #41 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
When it comes to strength, the Marvel Handbook stats often felt "prescribed" rather than describing the character's abilities within the comics. The early editions said Sasquatch could lift/press about 70 tons (IIRC) and that Thing could lift/press about 85 tons. But when Thing first battled Sasquatch, Thing made a point of noting that Sasquatch was stronger than him (after getting hit a few times).

http://www.comicvine.com/marvel-two-in-one-where-stalks-the-sasquatch/37-21864/
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2011 at 6:21pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Scott H
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #42 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Apr 6th, 2011 at 5:54pm:
Scott H wrote on Apr 5th, 2011 at 8:32pm:

Yeah, we figured that was probably just adrenaline.  Smiley  We went with what the OHOTMU said, since that gave us solid benchmarks.

Well, the caption said he did it without effort, and then of course he goes on to lift at least half of a naval destroyer (many thousands of tons) out of the water in his next appearance. I would tend to go for stories over handbooks, although the latter are certainly a useful resource, myself.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #43 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 11:02am
Print Post  
It's always hard to put this stuff in perspective -
Writer's take license of characters all the time. OHOTMU, OTOH, hasn't always been consistent and in updates and revision has to follow those whimsical writers....

We used to have three categories for big strength in our game that dealt with Marvel/DC
1) the lower category filled with characters that were able to approach the big lift at up to 90 tons, that the games was/are able to well-define...
2) the 'usual' category filled with the known heavy hitters like Thing, WonderMan,Thor, Colossus, Sasquatch, etc...
3) the rare exception that included Superman and Hulk all the time, Sasquatch in a rage and cosmic guys like Champion and such... to get here is rare and there no reason category 2 guys couldn't get here if the conditions were right, but as a rule, no matter the game system, this area was forbidden to character generation...
It's hard because our comics reading experience marvels at the impossible and revels in the suspension of disbelief; when we game and try to put marks on the gauge, our writers have usually muddied up the estimation pretty bad, especially when they seemed to have to one up each other all those years ago... Cheesy
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2011 at 11:03am by AlabasterKnight »  

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #44 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
This is why I came up with the very rare new power called Super.  Its in my house rules section.   To me, it covers all the super extremes like Superman's strength,  Flash's speed, etc.. in V&V terms.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #45 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Scott H wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 12:18am:
Well, the caption said he did it without effort, and then of course he goes on to lift at least half of a naval destroyer (many thousands of tons) out of the water in his next appearance. I would tend to go for stories over handbooks, although the latter are certainly a useful resource, myself.

You're probably right.  In addition to what AK said, I'll point out that over time, different writers (who don't necessarily even pay attention to the guidelines in things like TOHOTMU) give wildly varying abilities to characters.  They would all agree that Sasquatch has Heightened Strength, but each might choose to implement that in different ways.  Sometimes Superman can only lift a plane or a building, other times he can push planets.

Since we had relative benchmarks for at least one single stat (Strength), we took advantage of that and used the numbers they gave, even when it might have been contradicted in the comics themselves.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2012 at 3:18pm by Majestic »  

IP Logged

Kap
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #46 - May 4th, 2012 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Puck was my favorite when he was an acrobatic dwarf. One thing Byrne did well was make superheroes inclusive: he gave us Jewish, black, gay, dwarf, Indian, amputee, and other heroes you rarely saw elsewhere--and didn't try to "cure" them. Puck was Puck, and happy to be who he was despite his condition. I loved that issue where he was laid up but solving mysteries in the hospital just the same.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2012 at 2:18am by Kap »  

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #47 - May 4th, 2012 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
good call. also, Majestic: HFS! 3d20 for guardian's powerblast?!? Lawdy!

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #48 - May 8th, 2012 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Keep in mind that:

a) I wasn't the one who made these conversions (I merely posted them); they were done by my high-school friend

b) They were constructed to fit into our very high-powered campaign.  You're talking about a group that fought (and defeated) the entire Fantastic Four, and who went toe-to-toe with Superman!   Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #49 - May 9th, 2012 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
right on. incidentally, I was trying to calculate spider man's approx S and E to lift 10 tons. figuring 200lbs (which he isnt, even) and a 32 Endurance, he would need a Strength around 60.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #50 - May 10th, 2012 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Yeah, Spider-Man is pretty insane when you stat him out in any game system.  Fantastic Strength, Endurance, Agility, Intelligence.  Any way you slice it he's going to have a buttload of Hit Points.

I figure he has a weakness:

Vulnerability: Glass Jaw.  Has double the normal chance of being knocked unconscious (or whenever the GM decrees, regardless of the roll).   Cool

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #51 - May 10th, 2012 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on May 10th, 2012 at 3:33pm:
Yeah, Spider-Man is pretty insane when you stat him out in any game system.  Fantastic Strength, Endurance, Agility, Intelligence.  Any way you slice it he's going to have a buttload of Hit Points.

I figure he has a weakness:

Vulnerability: Glass Jaw.  Has double the normal chance of being knocked unconscious (or whenever the GM decrees, regardless of the roll).   Cool

I have to disagree with how to write Spider-Man, he doesn't have to have gamebreaking stats. I think John has the right approach and even without a homebrew power, he could be simulated with proportional spider-strength and game longevity...
And I definitely don't characterize him with a glass jaw, even if to compensate for a grossly exaggerated write up.
But alas, only my opinion... Cheesy

IP Logged

Bill Kropp
Justice Leaguer

Great. Its That Guy.

Reply #52 - May 10th, 2012 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
its more a factor of strength scaling in the v&v game vs marvel (or even worse, dc! ) comics. v&v is great, its best to judge a marvel hero's power level within their context and convert accordingly rather than worry about carrying capacity.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Reply #53 - May 10th, 2012 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
(Mutant Power: 'Spider' Strength: Spider-Man's Carry Capacity ( and Base HTH damage) is modified by (x2? x4? x7? etc...) to reflect the proportional strength of a spider. No extra PR cost required.)

?

Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2012 at 6:54pm by AlabasterKnight »  

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #54 - May 10th, 2012 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Tim Hartin gave Spider-Man a Body Power that doubles his Carrying Capacity:

http://paratime.ca/v_and_v/spiderman.html

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #55 - May 11th, 2012 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Note that even Tim's write-up, which has that Body Power doubling his CC, his stats are way up there (ending up with 242 Hit Points).  It's just one of those things that happens with characters that have great stats in all of the Basic Characteristics that go towards HPs (Beast is the same way).

I suppose he wouldn't necessarily have to have a glass jaw.  There just seem to be times when he goes down fairly easily (writer's feat, I suppose).

As long as he doesn't have any protection powers (Invulnerability, Armor, etc.), he could go down with any blow, if the roll is low enough.

IP Logged

polarboy
Justice Leaguer

Reply #56 - May 12th, 2012 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Given how many monthly titles Spider-Man has appeared in consecutively, and that often in the past he was characterized as sleep-deprived, he probably never has time to recoup all of his Hit Points and Power Points.

Most of the other characters who are that ubiquitous have Invulnerability (Superman), regeneration (Wolverine), or perhaps a version of willpower that allows them to function with minimal rest (in the case of Batman).

About a decade ago I saw a post on a now-defunct V&V fansite that gave Henry McCoy a version of Physical Handicap that meant in his blue form he had only half his allotted Hit Points. I thought that was a great way to acknowledge that character's enhanced mutation while keeping his Hit Points out of the triple-digits.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2012 at 12:53pm by polarboy »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #57 - May 14th, 2012 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Great points, pb.  I'd never thought about how often sleep-deprived Spider-Man (and now probably Wolverine) is/would be.  Wolverine can regenerate, but Spider-Man would hardly ever have time to catch up on even Power, yet alone Hit Points!   Smiley

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #58 - May 16th, 2012 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Apparently both Spidey and Wolverine have a new mutant power.

Mutant Power: Can't sell sell a book without us: The character is so massively popular that they must be included as member of any team's roster, now matter how unlikely they are to fit in with the rest of the team; They must have their name and/or image on the cover of the majority of books sold by their publisher; They must regularly under go some massive trauma/event which forces the character's previously established history to be rebooted every few years. This power also allows the character to simultaneously appear in multiple titles, all existing in the same timeline/universe, even though it might be physically impossible for them to do so otherwise.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2012 at 8:55pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

>