Normal Topic Taskmaster (Read 1992 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Taskmaster
Apr 6th, 2010 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Taskmaster

Identity: Unknown
Side: Evil
Affiliation: Independent Villain
Sex: Male
Level: 11
Training: Accuracy

Powers:
1. Mimic (Photographic Reflexes): Skills & Abilities: Taskmaster can mimic the physical abilities (not powers) and skills of others, no matter how complex, without practice. He must watch the other person’s physical movements to duplicate them. This ability is only limited by the fact that he does not possess superhuman strength or other superhuman attributes.
2. Willpower B: Through sheer force of will, Taskmaster has honed his body to tear peak human performance. +6 Points to his STR, END, and AGL
3. Heightened Defense: -4 to be hit
4. Natural Weaponry: +3 to hit, +6 damage while conscious and mobile.
5. Heightened Expertise: +4 to hit with any weapon he's trained with.
6. Taskmaster has ability to mimic voices. With just a few hours of practice, Taskmaster can fully mimic another person’s voice and speech patterns, a tool he uses for impersonation and breaking voice-activated locks.

Equipment/Weapons:
1. Sword: +2 to hit, HTH +1d6 damage.
2. Long Bow: +4 to hit, HTH+1 damage, R=Ax3.
3. Billy Club: +2 to hit, HTH+1d4 damage.
4. .45 cal. pistol: +3 to hit, 1d8 damage, R=Ax6, 8 shots.
5. Shield: Acts as 12 points Invulnerability, Front Arc only. 1 action, and a successful AGL save to block incoming attacks. PR=2 to act out of phase.
6. Gas Mask: Taskmaster’s mask is fitted with filters and lenses to protect him from the effects of gases.
7. Swing Line: +50" movement.

STR: 18
END: 19
AGIL: 21
INT: 13
CHR: 16

Origin/Background: The man who would become the Taskmaster first demonstrated unusual abilities during childhood. After watching a cowboy show on television, he found himself able to duplicate the sophisticated rope tricks he had watched the cowboy perform. Psychiatrists, called in by his mother, termed the boy's rare ability "photographic reflexes." He employed his talent several times during his youth for personal gain, most notably when he became a star quarterback of his high school football game. Upon graduation, he briefly considered a career as a crime fighter, but opted for becoming a criminal, which he perceived to be more lucrative.

Taskmaster then began a program of observing the fighting techniques of a large number of superhumanly powered adventurers through archival television news broadcasts. He initially used his fighting skills to execute several successful grand larcenies, but he had not properly anticipated the dangers involved. He decided to use his stolen capital to establish a centre for training aspiring criminals to become polished professionals. His goal was to become a major supplier for criminal organizations around the world. Designing a costume, he took the name Taskmaster.
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2013 at 2:59pm by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

8675309 Jenni
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Re: Taskmaster
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I think Taskmaster has Heightened Expertise too. He trained to be as good with each of those weapons as a weaponsmith.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
8675309 Jenni wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 4:46pm:
I think Taskmaster has Heightened Expertise too. He trained to be as good with each of those weapons as a weaponsmith.

IIRC, he doesn't actually train with the weapons, he's just watched video of Hawkeye, Cap, Daredevil, etc. and "mimicked" their actions.

YIM  
IP Logged

8675309 Jenni
Sidekick

I Love V&V!

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:10pm:
IIRC, he doesn't actually train with the weapons, he's just watched video of Hawkeye, Cap, Daredevil, etc. and "mimicked" their actions. 

Right. I should have said mimicked instead of trained. But because he's mimicked experts (who presumably have Heightened Expertise), I'd give him Heightened Expertise with each of those weapons. It's a mimicked ability for sure. But it's still there just the same.

As far as I know, his mimicked abilities don't wear off.
Or do they?

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
8675309 Jenni wrote on Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:21pm:
As far as I know, his mimicked abilities don't wear off. Or do they?

It's varied from writer to writer. So, I'd say the individual GM would have to determine that.

YIM  
IP Logged

BillytheSquid
Sidekick

mud is just a severely
crushed body!

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
In comics its never a forgotten ability, there was the mention of him recently copying Buckys moves as he was fighting Cap and Bucky in the Siege book last week, and he made mention that he studied Bucky way back in the war...if memory serves me (usually doesnt)

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
One of the problems in converting comic characters is the contradictions that are bound to come up for a character that's been around 20, 30, 40, or even 50 (or more) years.

One writer might indicate something completely off the wall, while another might retcon a concept, explanation, or power the last one just introduced.

Probably the best we can ever hope for is to stick to the 'most commonly understood' versions of the characters.  But even that can be difficult.

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2010 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
I have always used him in V&V and in Champions, my players hated him due to the fact that I gave him another ability that was used in some books with him.

If he has studied your players moves and copied them, he has a real good chance of guessing your move before you make it. I eventually,on player requests moved him from active duty to training goons for other criminals. He makes more money that way and the criminals get half way decent hired muscle

The biggest cry from my players came when i teamed him up with Deathstoke the Terminator.

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2010 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Two of my favorite villains. I don't know why I never thought of them as working together.  I guess they don't seem like the cooperate and play nice types.

I still remember Taskmasters first appearance, taking on the Avengers single handed.

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2010 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
I had them initially come together because 1 I liked them both and 2 Slade could fund the opening of Taskmasters school. He could get a good income for little investment

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

>