Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Power Levels (Read 1865 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Power Levels
Apr 10th, 2010 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
A few quick questions. What's the "typical" power level of characters in your games? Say what the "average" number of powers they have? Hit point wise, how do they stack up? And what power level do you prefer to play?

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Re: Power Levels
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
The "typical" power level in our campaign is medium.  It's most assuredly not a low-powered campaign (where street level stuff is tough), and it is rarely high powered (where Superman-types are common).

I would say the average number of powers is around 6.

It's a bit higher powered than I would prefer at times, perhaps, but I personally prefer things close to where we have them (medium) than any other.

I wouldn't mind a high-powered experience, but only for the occasional adventure (like at a Con); for campaigns I prefer low to medium.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Personally like the level where 1 hero versus 5 thugs is a workout for the hero but the thugs still don't have a chance.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2010 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Majestic wrote on Apr 10th, 2010 at 4:08pm:
The "typical" power level in our campaign is medium.  It's most assuredly not a low-powered campaign (where street level stuff is tough), and it is rarely high powered (where Superman-types are common).

It's a bit higher powered than I would prefer at times, perhaps, but I personally prefer things close to where we have them (medium) than any other.

I wouldn't mind a high-powered experience, but only for the occasional adventure (like at a Con); for campaigns I prefer low to medium.

So, if 6 powers is medium level, what's considered low end, and what's the high end?

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Troy
Teen Titan

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 9:01am
Print Post  

I don't think Superman is "high powered" in V&V because he's out of scope in V&V.

I think you'd have to treat the terms low, medium, and high-powered within the scope of V&V.

If you have a game where people start out with at least 5 powers and they commonly go up 1-2 levels after their first adventure, that would be on the high side for me.

IP Logged

Doctor Foom
Justice Leaguer

Silver Age relic

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
For starting characters, I prefer less powers but higher than average stats.
This way, everyone can take a punch or two, and they have time to expand their super powers as they develop.

IP Logged

THE ONI
Galactus

I Roll Too Many 20's

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
   I'm not really sure if the amount of Powers is the only thing here. It sure does not hurt to have a high number but I think a lot of it is based off how the GM runs the campaign also and if the powers get tweaked based off the rules. If a player has very few powers then they are supposed to be allowed to be a little more creative with the few powers they have. I am currently running 2 players in the same camapaign and they are totally different in power levels. The Dark Warrior and Dick Dante are completlely opposite sides of the spectrum but they both function in the same universe just as well. Completely different kinds of adventures but I have to say I enjoy them both equally. Did I answer any Questions? Not really but it still all works.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2010 at 7:08pm by THE ONI »  

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Apr 11th, 2010 at 5:51pm:

So, if 6 powers is medium level, what's considered low end, and what's the high end? 

To me the average number of powers has nothing to do with the power level of a campaign (well, almost nothing).

In other words, you could run a low-level, street-level, urban, gritty campaign, where a single shot from a gun typically kills, but where the average number of powers is 5-6 (all Skills).

And you could have a high-powered campaign, with really powerful characters (with powers like Gravity Control or Solid Energy Illusions or Magical Powers) that only have an average of 3-4 powers.

So my answer of about 6 powers (on average) is just reflective of how many powers our heroes tend to have.  Many have been played for a long time, so they may have started with, say, 4 powers and added a few along the way (such as via inventions).

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
THE ONI wrote on Apr 12th, 2010 at 7:07pm:
   I'm not really sure if the amount of Powers is the only thing here. It sure does not hurt to have a high number but I think a lot of it is based off how the GM runs the campaign also and if the powers get tweaked based off the rules. If a player has very few powers then they are supposed to be allowed to be a little more creative with the few powers they have. I am currently running 2 players in the same camapaign and they are totally different in power levels. The Dark Warrior and Dick Dante are completlely opposite sides of the spectrum but they both function in the same universe just as well. Completely different kinds of adventures but I have to say I enjoy them both equally. Did I answer any Questions? Not really but it still all works.

I very much agree, and I think you've said something similar to the point I was making (I hadn't read your answer before I posted).

I've seen campaigns where everything is extremely high-powered.  The number of powers didn't matter so much as the way they interpreted some rules.  In one case, this PBEM a friend played in allowed characters to multiple attack (up to four times, I believe) on the same target.  So with a fast character (like my friend's), he could hit an opponent 12-16 times before that character got a chance to move.  He could literally dish out hundreds of points of damage before a character with an Agility of around 28 even got a chance to move (for his first turn).    Shocked

Just for grins, we took him up against Wolverine (statted by my friend from our high school campaign - just like the Alpha Flight characters I posted, and Iron Fist, they're pretty accurate to the official versions, with a bit high Agility).  Wolverine hadn't moved for the first time (so no chance to evade, regenerate, or fight back), but he had been reduced to atoms (way bast all Hit Points, Power points, and Basic Hits gone).

To me, that's a high-powered game (and not the only one I've seen).  The number of powers the characters had was fairly insignificant.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Troy wrote on Apr 12th, 2010 at 9:01am:

I don't think Superman is "high powered" in V&V because he's out of scope in V&V.

I think you'd have to treat the terms low, medium, and high-powered within the scope of V&V.

If you have a game where people start out with at least 5 powers and they commonly go up 1-2 levels after their first adventure, that would be on the high side for me.

I don't think I agree.  I've seen Superman done in V&V a number of times, and one time our characters (in our old, high school campaign) even fought him.  Of course, much is open to interpretation and it matters which 'version' of Supes you're dealing with.  But I've seen V&V equivalents that would approximate MOST of the versions I've read of Superman from the various comics he's appeared in.

So to me Superman (and characters like him) fill in the high-powered ranks (to me high powered means like the classic Justice League lineup), V&V usually deals with medium to low, where medium is more like the X-Men or Teen Titans, and low is your "street level" like you see with Batman or Daredevil.

V&V can do high-powered, and I don't feel it's only tied to the number of powers (though obviously, if you have a lot of the really powerful powers, it can get out of hand pretty quickly).  V&V doesn't typically lend itself towards high-powered stuff, though, so I agree it's usually mid to low leveled.

As far as levels increased per adventure, I guess it depends on how you define an adventure.  Our characters might go up two levels at once, but only during the really early levels, and then only with longer adventures (that last a number of sessions).  Conversely, when our characters hit 16th level - even if they're fairly powerful - it takes them years to get to 17th (literally dozens of adventures).

IP Logged

Lord Inar
Justice Leaguer

Reply #10 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
It can't be that hard to do Super man, could it? (somewhat facetious example below, but not too far off)

Superman      
Lvl: 20      
HP: 23
Power: 64
Acc: +11
Dmg: +10      
HTH: 6d10+10                  
Move: 53
Str: 20
End: 20
Agi: 13
Int: 11
Cha: 25
Rxn: +4/-4
Det Hdn:      8      
Det Danger: 12
Wgt:      250
CC:      125000      
Powers:
Invulnerability (20 pts)
Power Blast (eyes)
Flight
Body Power: 1/2 Level x CC
Body Power: 1/2 Level x Invulnerability (to everything)
Body Power: 1/2 Level x Flight Speed
Weakness: Kryptonite removes powers
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2010 at 7:11pm by Lord Inar »  

IP Logged

>