Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Northguard (Read 6010 times)
dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Northguard
Apr 20th, 2010 at 2:05am
Print Post  
NORTHGUARD

Northguard is Canada’s official government sponsored superteam. The team was initially formed formed in early 2002, as part of Canada’s response to the treat of super powered terrorism, they're is based in Montreal, and operate under the control of the RCMP.

The Skywing - The team's supersonic transport aircraft.

Northguard is the Canadian super team I created for my New Millennium game. I never got around to stating out all of the group's members, as they were intended to be NPCs. The first two characters I created were Skybolt and Chinook, two guys I came up with way back in high school. Since then, I've played around with the group's membership, adding and dropping members as the mood hit me.
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2011 at 6:09am by dsumner »  

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Re: Northguard
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2010 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
I admit that i swipe from favorite comic titles, we had Alpha Flight and Omega as rouges as well as some of their less well known villains

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Gigglestick
Sidekick

"Laugh-a while you ken,
munkey boy!"

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 12:26am
Print Post  
LOL...Chinook was the name of a Canadian hero/villain in one of our campaigns too.  (As a non-canadian, its tough to come up with Canadian-themed characters that don't end up as bad sterotypes or worse...)

IP Logged

Black Bolt
Avenger

Leader of the Inhuman
Debating Society

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:13am
Print Post  
As long as there isn't a character called Captain/Major Maple Leaf, I'm sure all will be fine. Tongue

Cool group (no pun intended), dsumner. Here's a website you might find interesting: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/qc/index-eng.htm

Cheers,
Tim

IP Logged

Black Bolt
Avenger

Leader of the Inhuman
Debating Society

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:28am
Print Post  
My own Canadian group was known as The Dominion (Canada was originally known as The Dominion of Canada). I took a bit of inspiration from Alpha Flight by having the team working with the government, via the Department of Metahuman Affairs (which was connected with the Department of Defense and CSIS). The team consisted of:

* The Canadian Shield (Andrew Clarke) - Invulnerability, Heightened Str & End and Force Fields. Team Leader.
* Cold Steel (Simon Shaw) - Ice Powers and armed with a sword (the sword was his focus so he could use his ice powers).
* Dryad (Bibi 'Fei-Yin' Chan) - Plant powers and spells
* Surtur (Rodney ‘Big Rod’ MacDonald) - Very large man, great strength and could breath fire.
* Chronicle - an alien android who was found buried in the northern ice by the Canadian government. It was reprogrammed by Canadian Scientists but its original programming still lurked under the surface.
* Fleur de Lys (Evonne Sauvé) - heightened agility and excellent HTH fighter. She was a Quebec nationalist who wasn't too keen on the idea of working for Ottawa.

Their HQ was known as HALO ("High Arctic Listening Outpost") -- An abandon and refitted Government
Secret DEW Line Station in the Nunavut. It had teleporters to Department of Metahuman Affairs offices in each Province and Territories. Plus they had a VTOL Aircraft at HALO.

Apologoies to dsumner for this brief derailment of his thread. Just thought you might want a Canadian perspective on the idea of a Canandian super-team. Wink

Cheers,
Tim
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:29am by Black Bolt »  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 3:50am
Print Post  
Black Bolt wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:13am:
As long as there isn't a character called Captain/Major Maple Leaf, I'm sure all will be fine. Tongue

I try not to have my Canadian heroes, be the stereotypical maple leaf wearing Canadian.

Cool group (no pun intended), dsumner. Here's a website you might find interesting: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/qc/index-eng.htm

Cheers,
Tim

My experience with Canadian law enforcement has been with the RCMP Emergency Response Teams (ERT), and Corrections Canada (Namely their IERT, and one of their Hostage Rescue Teams). A buddy of mine was contracted to do some extensive training for them prior to the Olympics.

YIM  
IP Logged

Black Bolt
Avenger

Leader of the Inhuman
Debating Society

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 3:50am:

I try not to have my Canadian heroes, be the stereotypical maple leaf wearing Canadian.

Hell, my Canadian Shield character had a red & white costume with a red maple leaf on his chest. I was talking about the name. I know Marvel had a Major Maple Leaf that was active during WWII (IIRC) and I always found the name to be so unCanadian and it was also an anachronism (the red & white maple leaf flag wasn't adopted until 1965).

Thanks for this thread, dsumner. It got me thinking about my own group and I'm trying to see if I have their old character sheets kicking around so I can post them at the V&V Emporium. Wink

Are you going to stat up any of the Northguard members?

Cheers,
Tim

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Black Bolt wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:24pm:
Are you going to stat up any of the Northguard members?

Cheers,
Tim

All I've got is a list of powers and names for them so far, and I've had some of them. I just never got around to actually working them up. I've had Chinook and Skybolt since my HS days, so they've got a more details worked out. Chinook is a RCMP Mountie, and Skybolt was a former Para, who's powers activated when he tried out for JTF-2 (I don't think very many outside of Canada will know who they are though).
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:40pm by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Black Bolt
Avenger

Leader of the Inhuman
Debating Society

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:38pm:
All I've got is a list of powers and names for them so far, and I've had some of them. I just never got around to actually working them up. I've had Chinook and Skybolt since my HS days, so they've got a more details worked out. Chinook is a RCMP Mountie, and Skybolt was a former Para, who's powers activated when he tried out for JTF-2 (I don't think very many outside of Canada will know who they are though).

Hell, probably many Canadians don't know who Joint Task Force 2 (JTF-2) are. Wink

Cheers,
Tim

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking the team would be based in Alberta, but I'm really not familiar with the larger Canadian cities. So, any help would be much appreciated.

YIM  
IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Champions has a supplement book for Canada called Champions of the North . It has a lot of info on geography and culture as well as maps

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Avatar wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 4:07pm:
Champions has a supplement book for Canada called Champions of the North . It has a lot of info on geography and culture as well as maps

I've got it stashed way with the rest of my Champions stuff, I'll see about digging it out next week.

YIM  
IP Logged

Black Bolt
Avenger

Leader of the Inhuman
Debating Society

Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
dsumner wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 4:03pm:
I'm thinking the team would be based in Alberta, but I'm really not familiar with the larger Canadian cities. So, any help would be much appreciated. 

I'm in Ontario so I doubt I could provide any intimate knowledge about Alberta except that there is a resentment there and in the other prairie provinces towards Ottawa, Ontario and even the East Coast to a lesser degree. Canadian politics have been dominated by Ontario & Quebec for so long (they have the most seats in the House of Commons) that this has cause some resentment in the west. As for factual info, Wikipedia is probably your best bet. Wink

Cheers,
Tim

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Either way, if you do Canadian heroes/villains the best ones are Puck and Sasquatch

(ok maybe not the best but my favorites) Grin

IP Logged

Gigglestick
Sidekick

"Laugh-a while you ken,
munkey boy!"

Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
And from what I understand, Black Bolt wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 4:50pm:
dsumner wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 4:03pm:

I'm in Ontario so I doubt I could provide any intimate knowledge about Alberta except that there is a resentment there and in the other prairie provinces towards Ottawa, Ontario and even the East Coast to a lesser degree. Canadian politics have been dominated by Ontario & Quebec for so long (they have the most seats in the House of Commons) that this has cause some resentment in the west. As for factual info, Wikipedia is probably your best bet. Wink

Cheers,
Tim

And from what I understand, (as a non-Canadian) even in Ontario and Quebec there is some serious strife.

I grew up in Buffalo and then moved to Syracuse, so trips to Canada were common and I have freinds from Toronto, Kingston, and even Napanee and Omemee. (sp?)

And all of them dislike Quebec.

I used to do a lot of work in northern Adirondacks (Messina/Ogdensburg/Potsdam/Canton) and there were a lot of Quebec-Canadians there.  And they alsways seemed to dislike the Ontarians.  (Sometimes even more than the Americans... Wink )

I didn't even think about the east/west thing.

The bartender at the restaurant where I grew up was from Newfoundland...and he was also very cool and seemed to like everyone.  And he had a cool knack for making tasty non-alcoholic drinks...

This is not to imply any prejudice from one side or the other.  (Though, as Americans, we seem to piss off everyone eventually... Grin )

We have east/west, north/south frustrations in our country too.

Even in a state.  Most Upstaters in NY don't like NYC (too many of our taxes go there disproportionately and they control the state government...though they are the most populous part ofthe state)  and all but one of the Downstaters I knew in college considered Upstate to be a cultureless backwoods...

But, I'd love to hear from the Canadian players what THEY would like to see as Iconic Canadian Superhero Themes.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
SKYBOLT

Identity: Richard Knight
Aliases: None
Sex: Male
Place of Birth: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Marital Status: Married
Known Relatives: Natalie Knight (Wife)
Side: Good
Affiliation: Northguard
Known Associates: None 
Base of Operations: Ottawa, Ontario         
Level: 9
Training: Accuracy

Powers:
1. Power Blast: 1d20 damage, Range = 38", PR=1. 
2. Flight: 390 mph max speed, PR=1 per hour.
3. Heightened Endurance A: +13.
4. Heightened Charisma A: + 9.

Weight: 170 lbs.
Basic Hits: 4
Agility Mod: -
Strength: 13
Endurance: 25
Agility: 16
Intelligence: 13
Charisma: 23
Reactions from Good: +4 / Evil: -4
Hit Mods.: 6.336
Hit Points: 25
Healing Rate: 2.8
Power: 67
Damage Mod.: +1
Accuracy: +4 (+2 from training)
Carrying Capacity: 399 lbs.
Basic HTH Damage: 1d6
Movement Rates: 54” ground, 1,716" flight
Detect Hidden: 10%
Detect Danger: 14%
Inventing Points: 11.7
Inventing: 36%
legal Status: Canadian citizen with law enforcement authority.

Origin/Background: Canadian, Law Enforcement - Sky bolt is a former army Para, police officer, and member of RCMP's Special Tactics and Training (STAT) unit. Exposed to an alien mutagen, his body was transformed into a living bio-energy weapon. Currently Northguard's team leader.

Combat Tactics: He tends to use his fly to stay above the battle, allowing him a vantage point, while allowing him to hit targets with his power blasts.

Personality/Character Traits: Dedicated to doing the job, he's also the loving father of two small children, who sees his activities as a hero as part of doing his public service and making the world a better place for his family. He spends a good little amount of his "free time" raising money for what he considers worthy causes, everything from veterans organizations to battered women's groups.

Rogues Gallery: Cloud Breaker, Surge, Thundervolt
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2015 at 10:08am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #16 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Ranger

Identity:
Aliases: None
Sex: Male
Place of Birth: Surry, British Colombia, Canada
Marital Status: Single
Known Relatives: None
Side: Good
Affiliation: Northguard 
Known Associates: None  
Base of Operations:          
Level: 7
Training: Accuracy

Powers:
1. Heightened Expertise: +4 with bows.
2. Heightened Defense: +4 to be hit while conscious and mobile.
3. Heightened Agility A: +7.
4. Heightened Senses: Tracking Ability:
5. Stealth: Me can "meld" into woodland areas as though he were invisible.
6. Prejudice: Considered an "eco-terrorist" by some.

Weapons:
1. Longbow:

S: 14
E: 16
A: 19
I: 13
C: 14

Origin/Background: Canadian

Combat Tactics:

Personality/Character Traits:

Rouges Gallery:
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2014 at 12:54am by dsumner »  

YIM  
IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #17 - Dec 11th, 2014 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Well my team was...
Northforce

It was not a government team but operated well with them.

The team of heroes who operated out of a mobile floating base called Haven.

The team consisted of canadian heroes from all over, typically the worked in groups of three.

Sentinel Matt Hanson: electrical hero who was able to make ionized armor (like ice armor) and flew. , he also had a special converter that switched his powers to magnetics - Leader and electronics genius, builder of Haven.

Skyfire Maria Hanson - flame powers, explosive attack and fire flight.

Mammoth Paul Duwmar: super strong, tough, immune to cold with the ability to trample attack.

Arcticstorm Anne Butler: able to create cold versions of weather control, wind armor, flight with twice the power as normal.

Windracer Jason Sandstone - mystic superspeed and invulnerabity

Thunderbird Andrew Sandstone - mystic winged, fast, unusual sonic and animal telepathy

This team had it's internal issues and didn't always get along with one another.
They faced DrA's new all female Destroyers... Shapeshifter, Manslaughter and Skullcrusher (both females german, amazon-like versions), Mindmauler (human Russian), Frenzy (originally Vindicator) and Mirage.

Northforce along with my version of Justice Patrol (Pulsar, Smasher, Captain Cold, Archangel, Empress, Silver Knight, Psistorm and Triforce) took a beating and Haven was stolen from them.

So too were all the female members of the teams.

The rest was a long story, I'll be as brief as possible.

It pulled in the Crusaders, involved Nacht Island briefly, It was discovered DrA had nothing to do with it or the new Destroyers, though he was amused, he had let Shapeshifter go. It was also discovered that Nacht Island was exclusively the property of DrA and everyone had to leave.
The trail led to the tiny European country of Sobec in the mountain range valley north of Greece and east of Bolivia (I think).
Sobec's King was the superhuman Victor Hein (yes, Baron Heinrch from TBN a non-vampiric version) He sought to isolate what made superhumans special and create an army.
To everyone's horror they discovered Motivator was involved. It was a total fiasco.
The four heroines had been mind controlled into battling their friends.
The heroines were rescued but before the fight could be finished, Motivator left with Frenzy and Mind Mauler, King Hein threatened the heroes with an international incident. Heroes were called back and Haven was returned to Northforce.
It was a dissatisfying ending for most of the heroes.

But most of the villains involved got exactly what they wanted.

Northforce only appeared three times in my campaign (in a combat capacity).

They were fun, Quebecois eventually joined them and then they were friends with Crimson Guard from TEE

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #18 - Dec 11th, 2014 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Okay... Going over my notes I realized they somehow got mixed up... The blend of two campaigns.

The one I listed had indeed been part of the final longest running one.,. But the fire girl I called Skyfire is Autumnfire. Though she was originally Skyfire in the first campaign and went all villain.

I also forgot my version of Serena.

The Windracer and Thunderbird origins are both vastly different in the first and final campaign. In the first they were wife and husband... In the final they were brothers.

Raven and Klondike were degenerated to villains since I had both Thunderbird and Mammoth.

I believe I've corrected Exclaim my mistakes... I think... lol

IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #19 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
I thought this was goinG to be a thread about the comic book Northguard.

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #20 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Feb 15th, 2015 at 4:07pm:
I thought this was goinG to be a thread about the comic book Northguard.

LOL. I always wanted to check that book out, but for some reason, I never got around to ordered the back issues.

YIM  
IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #21 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 11:07am
Print Post  
I have never seen a copy.  Just read about it in the Encylopedia of Super Heroes.

[I have the complete run of Captain Canuck, which has its own charms and warts. I'm always on the lookout for foreign super hero comics (not American comics about foreign super heroes). Would love to check out Northguard.]

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #22 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
I've got most of the original run of Captain Canuck as well (still missing two issue), and may get around to picking them up one day.

YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #23 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
I got all the Captain Canuck issues.  I don't know, too many reboots.  And it's too foreign 😄

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

Matt
Justice Leaguer

Super hero role-playing
& Bronze Age comics fan

Reply #24 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
They rebooted Captain Canuck? Then I don't have all of it anymore...just the original series. Where Canada was a superpower in the near future.

IP Logged

Ramble
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #25 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 2:22am
Print Post  
Most of my campaigns have been set in Canada, and many of my PC's and NPCs were Canadian. I'm happy when I see Canadian super teams, although I think lots of people are trying to be Alpha Flight, which is a little weird. I don't worry about making an American feel American very often, so trying to make every member of a group iconic feels forced and a bit unnecessary.

As for Northguard - keep up the good work. Smiley

For my upcoming WWII books, my first set of Canadian super soldiers are Lancaster, Magnetic North, and Sunrise. If people like them, there are certainly more that can come and I hit at them in the first WWIISS book.

As for getting along with different parts of Canada, I don't know too many folks who actually dislike people from PEI, New Brunswick, or Newfies. They're just too damn much fun. Smiley

As for Ontario and Quebec, well, the notion that the West is no longer part of Confederation doesn't hold any more - that argument had weight back in the 80's and 90's when people were fuming over the ramifications of Trudeau's NEP.

RAMBLE

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #26 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 10:19am
Print Post  
I went ahead and fleshed out Skybolt's write-up.

YIM  
IP Logged

>