Poll
Poll Question: What are the minimum Hit Points for a 1st Level PC?
bars   pie

27-30 Hit Points are the minimum    
  0 (0.0%)
23-26 Hit Points are the minimum    
  0 (0.0%)
19-22 Hit Points are the minimum    
  0 (0.0%)
15-18 Hit Points are the minimum    
  1 (14.3%)
11-14 Hit points are the minimum    
  0 (0.0%)
7-10 Hit Points are the minimum    
  4 (57.1%)
3-6 Hit Points are the minimum    
  1 (14.3%)
1-2 Hit Points are all you need    
  1 (14.3%)

Total votes: 7
« Created by: Mike on: May 8th, 2010 at 7:14pm »
Normal Topic What are the minimum number of Hit Points for a 1st Level PC? (Read 2039 times)
Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

What are the minimum number of Hit Points for a 1st Level PC?
May 8th, 2010 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Looking around the forum, I can see that different campaigns have different systems for rolling up (or building) player characters. So I thought I'd ask what is the minimum number of Hit Points you think is required for a playable PC in V&V.

I'm not asking what the average numbers are. Or the ideal. Just the bare minimum Hit Points you think are needed for a playable 1st level character.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2010 at 7:17pm by Mike »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Re: What are the minimum number of Hit Points for a 1st Level PC?
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2010 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
My personal opinion is that it really doesn't matter. I'm of the opinion that if you've got a PC with a really low number of HP, the GM should make adjustments so that you don't get knocked off the fist time you get into a fight. I know that nowadays it's pretty commonplace for comic characters to die, but back in the day, you just didn't see characters getting whacked. 

I don't think the GM's job is to try his best to kill the PCs. I think my job is to tell a story that keeps my player's interest, allows them to develop their characters, and provides them with interesting challenges. Not see how many of them I can kill off this game session. I might be in the minority on this, but I think that's the way I think the game should be run. I'll get down off my soap box now.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2010 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
I think there is no mimimun.    Like Dsumner said, the game isn't about killing players, but over coming challenges.    And a player with one hit point will progess pretty rapidily with smart training and smart playing.  It could be fun.

I think my player only has 12 or so hits.

I am scary, very, very scary.
IP Logged

davew
Avenger

Designer

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2010 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Well, technically the minimum would be 1 if you look at the rounding up factor... but realistically, I have to go with the "depends on the angle of your campaign" stance. If you are playing more of a Batmanish type hero game, a lesser number of hit points are needed. If your typical villains are worthy of Spiderman or greater, more is needed. It really depends on the focus of your tastes in the genre and your needs.

"If The Truth Can Be Told, So As To Be Understood, It Will Be Believed."- Terence Mckenna
IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2010 at 1:42am
Print Post  
Dsumer said it so well that I will hardly attempt to elaborate on what he said.

For me (and our campaign), I/we tend to steer clear of PCs that start out with 4 HPs or less.  That is, unless they have another super power that protects them (Armor, Invulnerability, etc.).  Otherwise, it's too easy for them to die on their first adventure (I've seen it happen).  One of our PCs - BlueStreak - had something like 3 HP.  He not only died in his first mission (my PC showed up and used Revivification - an AED - to revive him), but he then died on his second one as well (we left him dead at that point).

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2010 at 11:42am
Print Post  
I agree with folks who say that there shouldn't be a minimum, but in a game where a single attack can do 20pts + a damage bonus, you really can have too few hit points on characters.  If a player wants to play the character, that's fine, but I'm normally willing to let them redo the character from the start.

IP Logged

Hammer
Justice Leaguer

Stranger in a Stranger
Land

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2010 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
I agree with everything said above, but at the same time, I find that most heroes start out with at least 10 hp, tougher ones with significantly more.

IP Logged

>