Poll
Poll closed Question: Do you enjoy fighting waves of Minions?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Yes    
  4 (36.4%)
No    
  3 (27.3%)
Both    
  4 (36.4%)

Total votes: 11
« Created by: The Cougar on: May 9th, 2010 at 10:22am »
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Do enjoy fighting waves of Minions? (Read 4220 times)
The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Do enjoy fighting waves of Minions?
May 9th, 2010 at 10:22am
Print Post  
One of the major advantages of RPGing is we don't have to follow the conventions of Computer RPGing.

The Computer RPG to properly use it resources has the convention of waves of Minions followed with a Big Boss battle at the end.

Do you as player enjoy it when you find that the battle is going to be 12 thugs, 1 Gaterkeeper Villain, and the Big Boss?

Would you rather it be 7 Supervillain team instead?

I can understand if you want both.  If you want both is it an even 50/50 spilt?

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Avenger

I Love Comic's and RP.
V&V got me started

Re: Do enjoy fighting waves of Minions?
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2010 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
I think it depends on the villain. Some work with others some do indeed have an army of goons

If something seems to good to be true, it's best to shoot it,just to be safe
IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2010 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
When push comes to shove, there's something so sweet about the imperfectly perfect villain team. But I always find it cooler when a superhero group only has one or two villain-group rivals (and if there are two, they need to have different motives). In my new campaign, the evil Crusaders might just fill that role.

So I voted for both. (One of the shortcomings I found in using some of the classic modules was that too many of the villain groups didn't have a strong enough reason to be together. But that's an aside.)

When it comes to uber-villains with minions, I like it best when there is some originality or at least a motif to the minions. One villain's minions should be different from another villain's minions. All henchmen aren't created equal.

I don't mind different combinations too. Ultimately, I think keeping a campaign and a comic book series alive rests on having foes with a purpose, a clear motivation, the powers/resources to back them up, and something creative about how it's all executed that we haven't seen before.

« Last Edit: May 9th, 2010 at 4:25pm by Mike »  

IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2010 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Sometimes it's fun to fight a super villain team, sometimes it's fun to beat up on a villain's minions until you reach him.

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2010 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on May 10th, 2010 at 11:43am:
Sometimes it's fun to fight a super villain team, sometimes it's fun to beat up on a villain's minions until you reach him.

And sometimes a legitimate superteam actually end up serving as the minions for a more powerful leader. Take the Destroyers and Dr. Apocalypse.

IP Logged

The Cougar
Avenger

Roll 1d20 against ...

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2010 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Mike wrote on May 10th, 2010 at 7:55pm:
Imaginos wrote on May 10th, 2010 at 11:43am:

And sometimes a legitimate superteam actually end up serving as the minions for a more powerful leader. Take the Destroyers and Dr. Apocalypse.

While this is true, for the question I am asking about the Destroyers wouldn't be considered Minions.

What I mean is a group of Minions, is not a team but a bunch clones.  Same abilities (in range), same weapons, easy to beat one on one.

While the Destroyers are not Minions for this discussion, the Nictones would be.

In my mind Minions are the type of characters that the PCs place bets on who can defeat the most of.

V&V character creation is too much fun.
                                     - Doctor Foom

Megalopolis PBEM
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2010 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Here are follow-up questions for everyone:

When fighting waves of minions, you you prefer/mind that they all have the same stats, like the Capellan soldiers From the Deeps or Space who all have the same weight, SEAIC, Hits, Power, and Level?

Or do you prefer when the module provides a list of 8-40 similarly powerful minions--and each not-quite identical thug/ninja/soldier has individual stats and hit points?

Is it better to individualize every guy with a gun? Or is it better just to give one or two sets of general stats that can apply equally well to all the usually disposable group-think hirelings?
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2010 at 12:24am by Mike »  

IP Logged

dsumner
Justice Leaguer

Oppresser of worlds

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2010 at 1:11am
Print Post  
Mike wrote on May 15th, 2010 at 12:21am:
Here are follow-up questions for everyone:

When fighting waves of minions, you you prefer/mind that they all have the same stats, like the Capellan soldiers From the Deeps or Space who all have the same weight, SEAIC, Hits, Power, and Level?

Or do you prefer when the module provides a list of 8-40 similarly powerful minions--and each not-quite identical thug/ninja/soldier has individual stats and hit points?

Is it better to individualize every guy with a gun? Or is it better just to give one or two sets of general stats that can apply equally well to all the usually disposable group-think hirelings?

From a GM point of view, it makes it easier to standardize the stats, unless I want one or two of them to be particulary tough, compare to the rest of the bunch. Say the 6"5", 280 lb. bruiser, who would have a higher STR, and CC, and HTH damage.

"There is no such things as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
YIM  
IP Logged

Imaginos
Justice Leaguer

Overpowered Hero

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2010 at 2:25am
Print Post  
As a GM or a player, I'm fine with thugs/minions being generic.  I sometimes add some personality to them, but the randomness of the player rolls makes up for the static nature of their stats.

IP Logged

Mike
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2010 at 3:12am
Print Post  
Imaginos wrote on May 15th, 2010 at 2:25am:
As a GM or a player, I'm fine with thugs/minions being generic.  I sometimes add some personality to them, but the randomness of the player rolls makes up for the static nature of their stats.

Thanks for the perspectives. I find it easier to keep track of the goon squad when I know they all have the same accuracy and damage mods instead of trying to keep track of each one's unique stats (outside of Hit Points and Power Points).

One of the advantages of the generic goons is that when the players first begin to attack, the GM doesn't have to get them to specifiy exactly which of the goons they're intending to hit.

IP Logged

Majestic
Justice Leaguer

Guardian of Earth

Reply #10 - May 16th, 2010 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I agree (especially when GMing) that they can all be the same.  The only time I might make 'goons' different is if they're a bit beyond the standard thug.  For example, when facing some vampires one time, our heroes ran into a squad of mercenaries (sort of familiars for the vamps).  Each was a fairly decent mercenary (probably 4th to 5th level), with solid stats; I probably rolled them all up on the skills table.  And I found some cool markers that made them really unique (cool and individual tattoos on their faces, distinct races and hair styles, etc.).  So in a case like that, where they're not just a generic soldier, guard, or thug (that are pretty much interchangeable), I might do individual stats.  But that's the exception that proves the rule, and mostly I do just what Mike said.  I will usually even have them only roll one initiative (and have them all move on that initiative); the only thing that I keep track of separate is HP and Power (and Armor).  I will often even tell the heroes what their chance to hit (and be hit) with these generic thugs (which I figure out ahead of time).  So they'll at least know the "base", so that the only thing that needs modification (usually) is facing.  So I might say "You have an 18 or less with your Power Blast to hit these thugs" or "a 16 or less will take these guys out, as they can only take one hit".  That moves combat along even faster, as I don't have to even consult my chart after that, as each player can remember what their chance to hit is, and anyone can quickly factor in if they are behind the target, above them, beneath them, to the side, etc. and add the simple +2  or +4.

IP Logged

Guardian7
Avenger

VOLCANO MAN!!!

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2010 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Yeah... I loved sending waves of pretty standard low tech humans, low powered mutants/mutates or robots against the heroes.
This also helped to dwindle down the players/NPCs power and not make them nearly as lethal as they could sometimes be (irregardless of how powerful a single foe was).
I know there were times when the Players were like... damn how many of these guys/things are there? (such as the amount of demons I plagued them with during Devil's Domain).

It all has a place in the game that is for sure. Just remember... you also have to place all of them in jail (if that is possible) or some form of containment (Such as how I used my MEDUSA facilities).

There can be a lot of fun follow ups on this sort of low level stuff too.
Who is training them?
Where are the weapons (or sometimes even them) coming from?
What do you do with creatures or mutates?
Once they exist... they don't cease unless you use the ignore principal of Comics. Fortunately my players were interested in ALL aspects of the game... not just the "Face the bad guys!" part.

G7

IP Logged

>